Avar LS Cleanser
Generic name: Sulfur and Sulfacetamide Cleanser, Emulsion, and Wash [ SUL-fur-& sul-fa-SEE-ta-mide ]
Drug class: Topical antibiotics
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 8, 2023.
Uses of Avar LS Cleanser:
- It is used to treat pimples (acne).
- It is used to treat rosacea.
- It is used to control seborrheic dermatitis.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Avar LS Cleanser?
- If you have a sulfa allergy.
- If you are allergic to Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash); any part of Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have kidney disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Avar LS Cleanser?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Use of other skin products while using Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash) may cause more irritation.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Do not use longer than you have been told by the doctor.
- If you use Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash) too often, your skin problem may become worse.
- This medicine may stain clothing or fabric.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
Related/similar drugsprednisone, doxycycline, metronidazole topical, dexamethasone, clindamycin topical, hydrocortisone topical, ketoconazole topical
How is this medicine (Avar LS Cleanser) best taken?
Use Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- If Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash) gets on the lips or eyelids, rinse off with water.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Use on clean affected skin 1 or 2 times each day or as you have been told by the doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Skin irritation.
- Rarely, very bad effects have happened with sulfa drugs. Sometimes, these have been deadly. These effects have included liver problems, blood problems, and very bad skin reactions (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis). Call your doctor right away if you have a rash; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; red or irritated eyes; sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes; fever, chills, or sore throat; cough that is new or worse; feeling very tired or weak; any bruising or bleeding; or signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Avar LS Cleanser?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry skin.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Avar LS Cleanser?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Avar LS Cleanser (sulfur and sulfacetamide cleanser, emulsion, and wash), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Avar LS Cleanser (sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur topical)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (1)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- Drug class: topical antibiotics
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.