Avar LS Cleanser
Generic Name: sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur (SUL-fa-SEET-a-mide SOE-dee-um/SUL-fur)
Brand Name: Avar LS Cleanser
Avar LS Cleanser is used for:
Treating acne, rosacea, and oily, flaky skin (seborrhea). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Avar LS Cleanser is a sulfonamide antibiotic and keratolytic combination. The sulfonamide works by killing bacteria and the keratolytic works by shedding the top layer of skin.
Do NOT use Avar LS Cleanser if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Avar LS Cleanser
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any other sulfonamide medicine, such as acetazolamide, celecoxib, certain diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide), glyburide, probenecid, sulfamethoxazole, valdecoxib, or zonisamide
- you have kidney disease
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Avar LS Cleanser:
Some medical conditions may interact with Avar LS Cleanser. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema or a history of lupus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Avar LS Cleanser. Because little, if any, of Avar LS Cleanser is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Avar LS Cleanser may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Avar LS Cleanser:
Use Avar LS Cleanser as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Avar LS Cleanser is for use on the skin only. Avar LS Cleanser may stain clothing and the skin if too much is used.
- Wash your hands before and immediately after using Avar LS Cleanser.
- Wet the skin and apply a generous amount of medicine to the affected area. Massage gently into the skin for 10 to 20 seconds, working into a full lather. Rinse well and pat dry.
- If the affected area becomes excessively dry, check with your doctor. You may need to rinse the medicine off the skin sooner or use it less often.
- Avar LS Cleanser works best if it is used at the same time(s) each day.
- Continue to use Avar LS Cleanser even if your condition improves. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Avar LS Cleanser, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Avar LS Cleanser.
Important safety information:
- Avar LS Cleanser is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do not apply Avar LS Cleanser to open wounds or to damaged or burned skin without first checking with your doctor.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Avar LS Cleanser should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Avar LS Cleanser while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Avar LS Cleanser, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Avar LS Cleanser:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild dryness, redness, scaling, stinging, or burning of the skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); butterfly-shaped rash on the face; cracked or extremely dry skin; fever, chills, or sore throat; joint pain; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe skin redness or scaling; skin inflammation or irritation; unusual tiredness or weakness; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Avar LS Cleanser may be harmful if swallowed. Symptoms of ingestion may include change in the amount of urine; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Avar LS Cleanser:
Store Avar LS Cleanser at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Keep the container tightly closed. Store away from heat and light. Do not freeze. Keep Avar LS Cleanser out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Avar LS Cleanser, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Avar LS Cleanser is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Avar LS Cleanser or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Avar LS Cleanser. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Avar LS Cleanser. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Avar LS Cleanser.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Avar LS Cleanser (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur topical)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antibiotics