User Reviews for Sucroferric oxyhydroxide to treat Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure

Also known as: Velphoro

Sucroferric oxyhydroxide has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 7 ratings for the treatment of Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure. 14% of those users who reviewed Sucroferric oxyhydroxide reported a positive effect, while 43% reported a negative effect.

Sucroferric oxyhydroxide Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure.

Tim · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2020

Velphoro (sucroferric oxyhydroxide): “Works well as a binder for phosphate. However due to the co-pay cost of $159.95 I will not be taking it anymore, Tums is cheaper and works for me.”

KJ August 8, 2019

Velphoro (sucroferric oxyhydroxide): “I was on this for over a year. Had good binding, but HATED to have to chew the pill to swallow. The iron left a horrid taste in the mouth. Did a good job keeping my Iron levels up. Moved to Auryxia when I went on Medicare as this was not covered and I loved the switch, no more chewing of my meds.”

Shelbert · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2019

Velphoro (sucroferric oxyhydroxide): “I've only been on this med for a week. Discolored stools & diarrhea. I'm hoping this will eventually go away.”

Sprìnkles · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 11, 2019

Velphoro (sucroferric oxyhydroxide): “I take this medication with water in my mouth as I chew because it’s chalky. It turns your mouth brownish orange but can be rid of by drinking and brushing your teeth. It doesn’t taste horrible, just the dry chalky texture is unpleasant. The only side effect I get is right before my bowel expels it, I get stomach cramps. Then the feces is dark in color. No issues otherwise. It lowers phosphorous great and I only take 1 pill with meals.”

Kahless · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2018

Velphoro (sucroferric oxyhydroxide): “Black stool has been my only problem. I was using Renvela, which worked better but made me nauseated. I'm up to 2 tablets per meal and I was taking Tums with it but my calcium level jumped.”

Gmckinnon725 · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2017

Velphoro (sucroferric oxyhydroxide): “Dark stool and stomach discomfort”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 12, 2015

Velphoro (sucroferric oxyhydroxide): “BLACK stool, orange residue in mouth (even after brushing), gave me funky breathe after chewing. I found chewing gum would aleviate the residue and breathe.”