User Reviews for Silver sulfadiazine topical to treat Burns, External

Also known as: Silvadene, SSD, Silvadene Cream 1%, Thermazene

Silver sulfadiazine topical has an average rating of 9.8 out of 10 from a total of 66 ratings for the treatment of Burns, External. 98% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 2% reported a negative experience.

Silver sulfadiazine topical Rating Summary

9.8/10 average rating

Compare all 68 medications used in the treatment of Burns, External.

Reviews for Silver sulfadiazine topical

Anonymous · February 23, 2013

Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine): “AH-mazing! I used this as a little girl for a muffler burn (2nd and 3rd degree). It healed without even leaving a scar. I am using it now for burns suffered from falling into an outdoor propane heater; 2nd degree burns on my back and forearm. I am praying for the same amazing results! This medication is a God send.”

Sharon K · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 10, 2012

Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine): “I cut off the meaty part of the palm of my hand and when I went to the doctor, I didn't think to bring that part with me. It would not stop bleeding and it had to be treated like it was a bad burn, since there was no skin to cover the wound up. The doctor had me put silver sulfadiazine on my hand and it worked like a miracle. I must admit that my husband is a welder and when he gets a welding burn, we use this cream for those and it works fantastic!!”

Blksand · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 14, 2017

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “Experienced horrific burns from Radiation treatment for Cancer, so badly that I needed a wound care Nurse ! Several medications did not help, Was given Silvadene Cream by a Nurse. What relief ! no more pain-no raw skin ! completely healed the area.”

Anonymous · October 12, 2012

Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine): “1983 sub zero air temps, transmission fluid blew into my husbands eyes/face. Burns all over his face. Silvadene cream applied and you honestly could not tell within 48 hours that he's had burns! We've used it over the last 29 years as sparingly as possible when needed on various cooking burns. ”

Anonymous · July 13, 2009

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “I had a burn on a finger about 10 years ago and a doctor prescribed this. I have used this since on almost any kind of injured skin or rash. It increases the healing process in my experience and works exceptionally well. It of course is not good to use if you have sulfa allergies. This is my favorite medication and feel strongly that it should move to an over the counter status.”

Anonymous · September 7, 2009

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “T recently had a motorcycle accident and had 2 and 3rd degree burns on my arms and legs and Silvadene Cream healed me in 3 weeks. It works really well and in my opinion it should be moved to over the counter. It works well on cuts and other things of that nature as well.”

FF_RP · Taken for less than 1 month · November 21, 2014

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “This is just great for burns. I am a firefighter, got some small 2nd degree burns. Even though I was completely covered in my protective gear, I still got the burns from an intense wave of black smoke. It takes a lot to burn through the gear. Well anyway, I ended up being sent to the hospital per chief's orders and do not regret it because they put this cream on and it instantly made the stinging pain in my ear go from about 4 out of 10 to a 1. It seems these burns are healing ultra quick and there is little pain associated. No doubt in my mind that this cream works wonders, I am thrilled they gave me a full tube and a refill, I probably won't need more than 1/4 the tube, so it will be nice to have around.”

Anonymous · June 2, 2010

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “Prescribed by our doctor to treat my 3-year-old's 3rd degree burn on her forearm. This cream is wonderful! It is healing the burn well. (Our local grocery store neglected to put the protective cover around their rotissirie chicken stand, exposing the hot metal edge. Our daughter burned her forearm when she walked past the stand.) Note the warning that it is a Sulfa drug. Thank heavens I looked it up! I'm allergic to Sulfa. If I had not researched it, I would have applied it with my bare hands, causing a deadly reaction to myself!”

Anonymous · December 8, 2009

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “I suffered a burn to my fingertips at work, and the nurse smeared Silvadene on. I thought it was odd to put ointment on a burn but let him do it anyway. Within an hour, it was as if my fingers were just a bit calloused, such as from playing the guitar. I was totally free of pain and had complete function in my fingers. I wish this stuff was available OTC; it would save people a lot of needless misery from small but painful burns.”

NanciC · Taken for 10 years or more · April 27, 2017

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “This was prescribed by my son's pediatrician for diaper rash. Let me tell you, there is nothing that soothed or cleared it faster. Took less then 24 and his rash was gone. Also used on burns...Amazing!”

Fran · Taken for less than 1 month · August 29, 2019

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “I had a propane grilling accident and was flashed burned on the face. Nothing crazy, 1st and 2nd degree, maybe a few small areas of 3rd. But this cream is a miracle. I went from looking like a monster to looking like nothing ever happened in 5 days. THIS SHOULD BE OTC!!!”

Ktk777 · September 20, 2015

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “Received bad second degree burns on both forearms from an accident working near a pizza oven. Was prescribed this miracle cream and my burns healed without a trace of any lasting scars. It's been about fifteen years, and I still can't tell exactly where I was burned!”

Retired RN · August 10, 2015

Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine): “I had Necritizing fasciitis before it was even being diagnosed, late 1990-early 1991. After two weeks of fighting it at home (yes, I know, but nurses are incredibly resistant to being hospitalized), I finally went to the ER. They admitted me, of course, and threw every antibiotic they had at it without any improvement. From the first day, they insisted I had burned the leg and I insisted that I had NOT burned it. After two weeks of multiple IV antibiotics with little if any response, one of the docs walked into the room and said that even though I insisted I had not burned it, he was going to treat it like a burn and that he was ordering silvadene. Four days later my leg had improved enough to go home.”

Conado5 · Taken for less than 1 month · December 25, 2015

“I was given this cream to use on my face. I had an awful breakout on my skin and decided to scrub the crap out of one pimple with a washcloth.. It got much worse from this and turned into a very infected sore/burn. It went on for a week before I was given silvadene.. Put it on my face at night and woke up in the morning with almost completely new skin in the affected area. This is my second night putting it on and I'm really looking forward to morning! I think it'll be all gone. This stuff is witchcraft.”

Ververv · December 5, 2016

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “2nd degree burns on large areas, 3 weeks later you can hardly tell I was injured, almost made me look like a liar lol.. wish I had known about this amazing cream on previous accidents XD Neosporin can't touch this imo”

DannaBShel · March 9, 2014

Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine): “I had a small tattoo above my ankle that I had ab 5 laser treatments to remove, the process bursts the inks color molecules, those will, during your lifetime disperse throughout ones cells trying to be absorbed, among other things. The process left me with an "id" reaction and I've developed skin allergies to certain topical ointments such as "Neosporin" or Bactracin. I use Silvadene now in place of any antibacterial ointments, for all cuts, abrasions, wounds and it works perfectly.”

JT-PGH PA · Taken for less than 1 month · June 30, 2015

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “I had used this before about 5 years ago when I picked up a lawn mower and brunt my hand on the hidden exhaust in the front. 2 nd degree burn in the entire palm of my hand. Healed like Christ himself returned and healed it. Therefore, last week when I took the Harley out for a quick run to the store, while parking it my leg hit the pipes! (my other 2 bikes that I ride regularly don't have the same pipe structure and are impossible to lean our leg on them as there's no cross over pipe to burn yourself on) I didn't even panic, I called the doctor, asked for this cream, he prescribed 5 big tubes and in 45 min I was feeling no sting and applied it on thick. its been five days and the burns are healing well and I expect no scar as before.”

nanyk · January 6, 2015

“I received a deep steam burn on my hand when removing something from the microwave. I tried dipping it in ice water, and as long as it was in there it felt better, but every time I removed it the pain and throbbing returned quickly. I decided to go to the emergency room. They put some silver sulfadiazine on it, dressed it, and gave me the rest of the small jar to take home, along with instructions for dressing the burn for the next few days. In about 15 minutes the pain was gone AND IT NEVER CAME BACK! I still keep some on hand - just in case. I think the cream is indicated for infection, not pain, but for me and everyone who I've recommended it to, it works GREAT on the pain of a burn.”

Xen · Taken for less than 1 month · November 20, 2013

“A friend was messing around as I was cooking and I got hot grease splashed all up my wrist and arm. The hospital prescribed this medicine and within a day I saw healing of 3rd degree burns taking place. I thought for sure there would be a nasty scar but nope. Can't even tell anything happened. I wish this medication was OTC, but don't mind a copay to get a script for it. It's just that awesome!”

Ama760 · June 8, 2015

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine): “I wish this would go over the counter already. This stuff works great. Whether I get burnt from a flat iron or curling iron or even a bad sun burn this stuff works great! Had some left over after my daughter slipped on the deck and hit her shoulder against the BBQ. I tried neosporin for a couple days and nothing. Dr rx'd SSD cream her burn was gone the next day!”

Cajun elite · Taken for less than 1 month · April 22, 2016

“I was boiling seafood in a 120 quart pot outdoors. When the food was cooked and I grabbed the case and set it on top of the pot ask I always do, the entire pot tipped over due to the stand giving out and all the water came flowing over my ankles amd both feet. 2nd degree burns on both ankles and feet. They gave me a very strong antibiotic. Two capsules four times daily for ten days and this cream. Wow. It is also miracle!! Since then, my sister had major 2nd degree burns (almost third) and she was also given this cream. No scars on either of us. I had never heard of it but since using it, seems everyone knows about it but me lol. They all swear by it and I see why. Amazing treatment!! Very cheap also with my insurance. Three bucks”

Lori j. · January 12, 2017

“I keep the jar in the refrigerator . The cold medicine feels so good on kitchen burns and takes the pain away instantly...I was given a prescription for this medicine after 2ND and3rd degree burns to my face , chest, and legs.. I healed completely.. I'm the only one that can see my scars.”

RooftechZ · January 15, 2021

“There was a small fire next door to my apartment. I went to put it out. Well not knowing, there was a small can of plumbing primer near the flame. The can blew up and went on to me,35% of body. I got Air lifted to a burn center. I had to leave because I'm a single father with 2 young children. Grandma had a jar of S.S. I gave it a try and WOW. Within 24 hours, what burns I had on my face had gone away.”

Spenderr · Taken for less than 1 month · November 26, 2019

Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine): “My brother gave these creams out like they were party favours lol. He sung it's praises so, that I had to grab one to put in my emergency kit. In the midst of cooking, like a fool I accidentally put my thumb and forefinger on the burner. I don't do well with burns, it's my one vice, that seems to engulf me for 12hrs of brutal pain, whereby I must keep my fingers in a mug of iced water, changing it every few minutes, even falling asleep in that condition. I iced my fingers for 20 minutes, remembered this cream, whacked it on, and the pain immediately disappeared!! All I can say is wow. I didn't know it had numbing ingredients, but it stopped that buuurning pain in a jiffy. A must!!”

Kellsbells · Taken for less than 1 month · October 19, 2018

“As I was curling my hair at 400° the curling rod rested directly on my lower wrist/inner forearm area. My skin immediately seared. I used aloe Vera & waited until the next day to go to urgent care. Upon arrival I was told I had a third degree burn and prescribed Silver Sulfadiazine 1%. With in ONE DAY the large, charred & blackened scab had completely sloughed off into my dressing and by day 3 most of it is already closed up pink skin. Only issue was last night it started to get itchy where the skin hasn’t healed yet. I tried to scratch lightly but this morning there was a little blood & pus in the gauze. Changed dressing, re applied cream. Today I’m fine, no itchiness, scabs, or blood. From what I see only healing skin and RESULTS!!! this cream is a god send, should be a staple in everyone’s medicine cabinet. Heals burns in days with minimal pain. 10/10 would recommend.”