User Reviews for Silodosin to treat Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia

Also known as: Rapaflo

Silodosin Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.

Reviews for Silodosin

Red Creek · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2020

“My age 79. Had pee problems starting 10+ years ago. A nurse referred me to saw palmetto and it worked great for many years. Then, not so great, to the doc. Tried different drugs, did not like the side effects. Changed drugs, changed Docs, finally about 2 years ago while on finasteride I was given Rapaflo. Worked great but the cost, the Doc said generic was coming. Then it came - as Silodosin. One tenth the cost (great). Started using it and it seemed just as nice and great as Rapaflo. But, then after two 90 day renewals, started having the head problems. Now I am wondering if it is because Costco keeps changing manufactures??? I am going to ask Costco to check the manufacturer for the first two prescriptions and see. Will let you know.”

truckman January 12, 2020

Rapaflo (silodosin): “This stuff does improve "flow" rapidly and in that way it is good. It also shut down my ability to ejaculate and made it difficult to reach a dry orgasm. If you don't push it, you get this very weak dry orgasm that makes you think - why bother? Told my doctor about this [she had previously reviewed the common side effects]. She said try pushing it beyond the weak orgasm. So I tried hard and was rewarded with a very intense dry orgasm. More intense than a normal wet orgasm by far. I was just getting to like the sexual side effect when I had to go to my doctor for insomnia. She said, oh, that might be the Rapaflo. So, I'm off it now and sleeping great. I thyink Rapaflo might be a great short term medication but long term I need my sleep!”

PEIGuy · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 18, 2019

Rapaflo (silodosin): “This drug will get your flow going fast - within hours I had relief. I had no side effects other than sexual. The primary sexual side effect is that it shuts off ejaculations for me. Thankfully my doctor explained this fully. Orgasm is difficult to achieve but when I get there it is intense but dry. I have grown to like it as there is never a mess. Yes orgasm is redefined but if you can accept that and do not need to father a child it can be great.”

PR · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 7, 2019

“I started out taking the name brand Rapaflow and it worked very well for my symptoms of frequent nighttime trips to the bathroom and not being able to empty my bladder. I have experienced the retrograde ejaculation but I have found it manageable. I have not noticed a marked decrease in my sex drive and have found that it improved erections. I have found I can take it every other day and still get relief from my worst BPH symptoms. The most annoying side effect is the low blood pressure that makes it hard to stand up too quickly without almost passing out.”

Joe March 11, 2019

Rapaflo (silodosin): “56 years old with BPH, used to go at night only once , weak steam and frequent trips during the day. Took Rapaflo for 5-6 months.it helped with flow and almost never get up during the night but the side effects started about a month ago, little or no ejaculate, soft erections and decrease orgasm sensations by 40%., stuffy nose . I will not continue taking the medication side effects are worse than the problem. ”

Skipper Chuck · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2018

Rapaflo (silodosin): “After trying Flomax, Hytrin and Myrbetriq, none of which worked, my doctor suggested Rapaflo. I've been taking it nightly for 10 days now and I don't feel any relief for the BPH symptoms. The retrograde ejaculations are strange, but something I recall from Hytrin and Flomax. However the intensity of orgasm is maybe 30% of normal. I'm also dog tired virtually all the time - dunno if that's the medication or something else. I've read here of taking it every other day; I'll give that a try and see if things improve. If they don't I'm going off the drug.”

Neves · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2018

“no ejaculation, less libido, too bad. Retrograde ejaculation and orgasm buzz killer”

Koder January 15, 2018

Rapaflo (silodosin): “While rapaflo relieved my BPH symptoms, the side effect of retrograde ejaculatuion caused me to stop taking it. My pharmacist suggested I take the generic form (alfuzosion). Best decision I made! Same benefit without side effect”

MountainMail · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2017

Rapaflo (silodosin): “Been taking Rapaflo for three weeks. No improvement in urine flow, not at all. Also, experiencing a lot of soreness in the prostate and occasional sharp, jabbing pains there. Stopping taking it.”

Rothie · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2017

Rapaflo (silodosin): “Seemed to work for about two 1/2 weeks, then wore off and symptoms returned. I would of had to stop taking anyway due to unbelievable nasal congestion. Tried to stick with it for 3 more weeks, but since I could not breath through my nose had trouble with sleep also. Also no sperm at all. Two weeks after stopping still some nasal congestion.”

Honey2784 July 11, 2017

“I was facing difficulties in urination. Every 15 min there is urge of urination but only little urine passes. All reports were normal. Still my docter advised me to take silodocin and levofloxacin. Now my experience - both medicine have very bad side effects especially silodocin. The main side effect is retrograde ejaculation I have taken only 2 dose of both I don't know about the side effect of medicine so I was really very scared. After discontinuation silodocin it took 36 hour to go away retrograde ejaculation. ”

Tio Joseph May 19, 2017

Rapaflo (silodosin): “Decreased or non-existent semen flow”

Peterj2017 April 12, 2017

“I was having very frequent urination and some discomfort in my kidneys so I consulted the urologist, he diagnosed me with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and no problem in kidneys and prescribed silodal 8 (silodosin capsules 8mg ). After few days the frequency of urination reduced however I am experiencing Retrograde Ejaculation and not a single drop of semen is released during sex. I am quite scared and concerned about the impact of his drug on my fertility. I am stopping this medicine immediately. I want this serious side effect to be mentioned on the medicine in bold and should be told to all patients who visit the doctor and prescribed with this drug.”

Frequent bathroom visitor April 6, 2017

Rapaflo (silodosin): “Best drug out there for improvement in stream. Worst drug out there for retrograde ejaculation and orgasm buzz killer.”

Irish guy too February 25, 2017

“Put on silodosin for decreased urine flow. After four days on the meds I came but didn't ejaculate. Not taking it anymore. I wasn't told it was a side effect, scared the life out if me tbh. Fortunately my wife is medically qualified and researched the side effects.”

Larr123 February 17, 2017

Rapaflo (silodosin): “BPH, 2 acute urinary retention episodes in less than a month. Started with Avodart (0.5 mg) daily (in the morning) and Rapaflo (4 mg, before going to sleep). This combination seems to be working for me after 3 weeks (no waking up at night to pee, no urgency). Avodart shrinks the prostate (it may take up to 6 month to see improvement) and Rapaflo relaxes the prostate gland and the bladder's neck to make it easy to urinate. Rapaflo also gives me very strong erections (not sure why) and I do have retro ejaculation but I prefer that to the inconvenience of having a catheter in which can also cause UTI. Every man's prostate is different. Just keep trying to find the right pill for you.”

cmb1991882 February 14, 2017

Rapaflo (silodosin): “52 hrs old, I started taking Flomax for BPH. It completely blocked my sinus. So I asked for something different. My urologist prescribed Rapaflo, but they blocked sinus was even worse and it cost me 260.00 for 30 pills! Horrible medicine! Avoid at all costs.”

GatorBoy · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2017

Rapaflo (silodosin): “The retrograde ejaculation (no semen) and decreased libido are not worth the benefits for sexually active men. If these side effects are of no concern then try it but I hated it.”

Richard Nickooloas February 7, 2017

Rapaflo (silodosin): “I have just read through most of the comments here and find them accurate about the side-effects: no ejaculate while on it, but stopping the drug ends that problem after a little while. I had a procedure called Urolift where my urologist (with local anesthesia) inserted 4 tiny devices that open up the urethra (like shoring up a tunnel) to create more flow. During the operation in his office and while awake, one of the little clips didn't attach fully and when I urinated a few days later it came out (OUCH). After that no more pain from it traveling out but lots of bloody urine for a few days. Bottom line: the procedure worked out well even with three of them implanted. It has been a year and just had bladder infection cured with Cipro.”

Ender67 December 12, 2016

Rapaflo (silodosin): “For me it works well, with some caveats. Take it for too long and it's effectiveness wanes around the 2 week mark. However, when you go back it works in full force again. I also noticed it was not needed EVERY day either, skipping days worked pretty well too... the second day just had a much lesser effect but still there. Sexual effects? YUP! No ejaculate, reduced drive. All that. This is not a big deal to me. I am 50 and my wife works the opposite shift from me during the week so sex isn't happening anyway. When you stop taking them, 24-30 hrs later your back to normal. So I just typically take them on weekDAYS and deal with poor urine flow on day when sex is a possibility.”

Dbnite-wp · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2016

“I am 35yrs old and went for a cystoscopy a week ago. This was due to weak urination, urgency to go to the loo and not completely emptying my bladder. This was for +/- 4 years. it was only until this year that it got worse..hard to pee. After two days in hospital, I was prescribed Silodosin. The first two nights it made me pee every hour. With hardly any sleep, I consulted the doctor and he told me to change to taking it at daytime. Then the side effects kicked in..i felt dizzy, pain in lower back, chest congestion, first constipation and later diarrhea. I know this may sound like way too much...however i never had this issues before. Its making it really difficult to live a normal life. I just want to know if anyone else has similar issues?”

1designer · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2016

Rapaflo (silodosin): “After many months I lost my entire sex drive, had hair loss, very rapid heart beats, shortness of breath, all over muscle weakness, sick to my stomach and rapid weight loss and loss of balance I had to stop driving! I caution anyone about how the benefits out way the risks! In will never take this ever again!”

babyGsus · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2016

Rapaflo (silodosin): “Within 1 hour of first dose, I, like many others on this thread, had no ejaculate. None. It was pretty disconcerting to say the least. As far as the BPH goes, it worked. I just can't justify taking something that ruins sex, no matter what the reason.”

DougInLaguna September 28, 2016

Rapaflo (silodosin): “I have BPH and wish to avoid TURP surgery. My urologist did ultrascans, CT scans, nuclear renal scans, etc. I have urine retention and that has led to one kidney having swelling. He ordered intermediate cathing. Have been doing that for 2 months now. My bladder is voiding to 0 and retention is capped at 300-350 cc. More scans indicate my kidneys are doing fine now. I started Rapaflo with Finasteride before cathing. It did not help void my bladder. So we moved to cathing. I have no urge to pee unless my bladder has over 400 cc. So Rapaflo/finasteride does not seem to be working. I do have retrograde ejaculation. Surely, Rapaflo is causing it. Urologist says keeping taking R+F as it might take time. Meanwhile int cathing is the plan.”

AZWilliam · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2016

Rapaflo (silodosin): “Started Rapaflo last year and found it extremely effective in improving my urine flow and trips to the bathroom. I took in the AM but pharmacist suggested I take at bed time. Taking it at night left me tossing and turning from lack of sleep. After a few nights with very little sleep I changed back to taking in the AM and my normal sleep returned. My biggest problem was a total lack of orgasm, no climax and no ejaclulate at all. I found by taking the drug every 3 days I was still able to increase my urine flow and still have orgasm and ejaculate. Now my biggest problem is no coverage under my health insurance. They want me to take a bunch of old drugs that give you big breasts and no erections. Blah to that. I'll pay the $215 for 30 caps”