User Reviews for Metamucil to treat Dietary Fiber Supplementation

Metamucil has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Dietary Fiber Supplementation. 40% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Metamucil Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Dietary Fiber Supplementation.

Reviews for Metamucil

Speedy · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 20, 2018

“After having 14 inches of my colon removed in 2001 due to colorectal cancer, my average day consisted of going to the bathroom literally 15 to 20 times per day/night. No Doctor ever recommended Metamucil or similar product. After starting on Metamucil, my trips to the bathroom are still excessive when compared to pre colon cancer but, my bathroom trips have been reduced by more than 50%. My life is much more closer to normal. I will be taking Metamucil for the rest of my life.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2012

“I have struggled with Hemorrhoids and what I think is Irritable Bowl Syndrome for years. I noticed that Metamucil helped but never got myself to use it on a daily basis. Finally started using it religiously half a teaspoon in the morning and half in the evening. I got back my life is all I have to say.”

jkat · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2020

“I had a colonoscopy and Metamucil was recommended. I did not like it at all with orange flavors and sweeteners. It was yukky. I then found the kind with no sweeteners and unflavored. It is much better. I mix it with my orange juice or other juice as half juice and half water. When I went to buy it again it was almost double the price the the kind with added flavors and sweeteners. So I then bought another kind of psyllium fiber without a bunch of added ingredients. Putting sweeteners, sugar, and unwanted flavors are not needed. Why do they charge more for unsweetened and unflavored.”

caamodt January 19, 2010

“Started taking the product for health maintenance and it was also recommended by my internist after a colonoscopy and early signs of diverticulitis. Also my wife who is a RN nursing supervisor has used the product for years and rightfully claims it reduces bathroom "paperwork". I think the product is gentle acting and good when used regularly. and over times does what it is supposed to. I like the powdered version and think the taste is good. This product is a startng place to clean up inside out and get the benefits of more energy, better health. I also think some folks would benefit from stronger more "kick butt" once a year type colon, liver and kidney body clenzing from Dr Schultz or others, for major healing and slowing the aging process.”

JoeSunshine · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

“I started using metamucil as a post partum treatment for constipation. I would go a week with no bowel movement. When the movement finally arrived it would tear the hemorrhoid I developed during pregnancy. I started using 1 tsp of metamucil per day. It has been a bit of a roller coaster. It does create bulk and soften stools which has helped the frequency of the movements and reduced the pain from tearing during a bowel movement. However it has also caused some pretty painful abdominal cramps and pain that radiates into the lower back. Unfortunately the pain it causes does not out weigh the benefit so I have stopped using it and switched to bran cereal and plenty more raw vegetables. I have used metamucil daily for the last 8 weeks. Pain with use started around 3 weeks ago.”

Tekchick · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2016

“It was wonderful at stopping my diarrhea. I ended up having a soft bowel movement in about 12 hours of taking the dose. The bad part was I had horrible abdominal pain and looked like I was 9 months pregnant. I would rather put up with diarrhea then put up with that. Today I am trying citrucel and hopefully won't blow up anymore and no more abdominal cramps.”

Andy · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2021

“All of a sudden I would go 2 or 3 days and then a large bowel movement over and over again. So I tried powdered Metamucil. It worked a little. Then I noticed I had green on my bowel movements. Metamucil is the only change in my diet for the past 2 weeks and I haven't eaten anything green. It could be coincidence and I all of a sudden have another medical issue but I contribute it to the Metamucil and will stop taking it. It also seemed to make me slightly constipated. I mixed a teaspoon into my ensure everyday. Will have to go to a gastro doctor and run some some tests. Green in stool? Really? Only I can have such luck.”

New user · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 31, 2021

“I started taking psyllium husk fiber through Metamucil and noticed no adverse digestive effects. I felt more satiated after eating a bit smaller portions which was a benefit for me. My doctor commented on my formerly resistant serum cholesterol number which decreased by 40 points and my A1C which was down about 1 point both of which had been virtually immobile for several years. After consistent use of the capsule form taking 4 to 8 capsules with each meal I feel better overall and have noticed a 10% decrease in weight which may be a result of smaller portions. I must say that I have not been dieting other than possibly less carb craving using this product.”

Scott May 9, 2018

“Worked great the first couple days. But ever since it's like I'm trying to pass a brick. Exact opposite effect of what I was looking for.”

mwinga111 June 22, 2016

“The new Metamucil made me gain weight i think because of the sugar. My appetite didn't change. The old Metamucil worked for me .”