User Reviews for Polymyxin b / trimethoprim ophthalmic to treat Conjunctivitis, Bacterial

Also known as: Polytrim

Polymyxin b / trimethoprim ophthalmic has an average rating of 4.1 out of 10 from a total of 22 ratings for the treatment of Conjunctivitis, Bacterial. 32% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 59% reported a negative effect.

Polymyxin b/trimethoprim ophthalmic Rating Summary

4.1/10 average rating

Compare all 60 medications used in the treatment of Conjunctivitis, Bacterial.

Reviews for Polymyxin b / trimethoprim ophthalmic

Anonymous May 25, 2011

“This medication significantly reduced the amount of pus production overnight. Relatively mild burning even with the severe amount of inflammation I was experiencing. No common side effects so far. It seems to be doing it's job rather well.”

DukePedsNP July 22, 2019

“For those of you who are stating that the PolyTrim is not working, there are one one two things going on... 1.) you have viral conjunctivitis... viral conjunctivitis CANNOT be treated with an antibiotic... viruses do not respond to antibiotics, are self-limited, and will eventually clear on their own. 2.) If the conjunctivitis is indeed bacterial in nature, it may have been caused by a strain of bacteria that is not sensitive to PolyTrim. If there is no improvement in 36-72 hours, chances are you need to contact your primary care provider and request to be started on a different antibiotic.”

Brad · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2020

“I had an eye abrasion and was prescribed this polymyxin b/trimethoprim drop to prevent infection by urgent care until I could get in to see an opthm. After a couple 1-drop treatments over 6 hours, it turned my eye blood shot red, swollen, sore, irritated, and generally feeling like I should have preferred to put dirt in my eye instead. Horrible and very scary experience. You trust your doctor not to experiment on you, but they seem to without hesitation.”

eyeswateringandpuss · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2013

“Within first and second days use, eyes became blood shot and a little burning (normal side effects according to the instructions.) But on day three now eyes are itching but no more tearing and puss is almost non-existent. Feeling much better and clearing up.”

Bigger Mac · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2020

“Right now its been 2 days using these polymyxin b/trimethoprim eye drops. it seems to be working so far. The side of effects are burning and itchiness for me. The side of effects only last for a few minutes. I don't if I should continue the treat or call my doctor?”

Redeye March 3, 2020

“I started taking this med yesterday due to pink eye and now my eye is bloodshot red and it hurts so bad I couldn't sleep at all last night! This med made my eye worse! I'm throwing it in the trash and starting on Ofloxacin 0.3 solution. That one worked for me last time. Never putting the other med in my eyes again!”

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2019

“I had a misdiagnosis on Tuesday for viral pinkeye and was prescribed a steroid drop to get rid of the swelling and redness basically. My eye continued to get worse and worse, so I went to a different doctor on Friday and was prescribed polymyxin b with trimethoprim drops. By the time I got these drops my eye was so painful and basically swollen shut. I’ve been using it for about 28 hours now and I’ve definitely seen some improvement. My eye is much less swollen and a little less red. No miracles but it’s only been a day and I’ll take any relief I can get.”

Ruth May 18, 2020

“I’d been using MSM water drops (Rich Distributing- online only) & also did Similasin Pink Eye drops (drugstore), neither was working. Usually the MSM eye/ear drops work but not this time. And I’ve had the Similasin ones work in the past too, but not this time. I think it got complicated because as the same time, not sure but I may have an eye allergy, so I was doing OpCon-A as well. And I wasn’t getting better. This is all during the COVID thing which is still going on. I did a virtual online call to a Dr through Walgreens ($49 at this writing) & took Lyft to pick up the prescription. Well, I felt relief upon using this. I felt like it dried up my eyes, my eyes felt so much better. I’ve only been on it for a few hours and think this stuff is great. Others that it may not work for: you may also have an allergy along with your pink eye. IDK. But for me, this is working really well & is truly helping me. TIME: I’ve only been on it for a few hours”

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2019

“My doctor was pretty sure I had the viral conjunctivitis but prescribed me this just to make sure. When I started it my eyes had already seemed to be getting better, just slightly red still. Every time I used this medication my eyes would burn, it was like it was irritating my tear ducts. Well last night after using it my eyes got so itchy and my inner eye so swollen and sore that I almost couldn’t stand it. Woke up with very red and crusted eyes this morning. Definitely not taking this again.”

frustratedpatientjan November 20, 2016

“I was diagnosed 3 days ago and started using the drops, but still haven't gotten any relief. Naturally it's a weekend! On Monday I'll contact my doctor. I have an intense headache with this, and just using my eyes for a few minutes makes everything worse. I have redness, itching, pain, crusting, graininess and throbbing in both eyes. A warm washcloth is the best relief so far.”

Grandmama · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2019

“I am on my fourth day of the medication and every time I put the drops in my eyes I have intense burning and itching. I do not have the crusty, pus, eyes sticking together condition that others complain of. My eyes are just itching and burning and grainy. It began on a Saturday evening and tonight is Friday night. I went to the doctor on Tuesday and began the drops. My eyes are not one bit better. I'm stopping the drops and calling my doctor Monday.”

Ghost Faced · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2017

“Its been 12 hours and my eyes are so much worse now than a day ago. The pus is coming out so fast I can't keep my vision clear. The watering of the eyes is terrible my skin around the outside corners of the eyes and under burn like road rash with alcohol poured over it. Almost feel like going to the emergency room for relief cause its just getting harder and harder to tolerate. I rated it at its current level of help and relief so if it improves I will bookmark and come back to edit.”

Floatnurse1 September 3, 2016

“I continue to have ruby red eyeballs,a little itching, but, mostly I continue to have scaly secretions from both eyes. I wear the no line bifocals and I cannot get clear sight up or down, somtimes causing pain to my foerhead. Please help!”

dc · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2019

“This is a horrible medication! My eyes are much WORSE than they were before I started this medication. My eyes are super itchy, has more yellow mucus, and overall very annoying! Why is this medication on the market?! It needs to be taken off!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2018

“The itching from conjunctivitis is bad on its own. This medication also caused my eyes to itch. I'm sure of this because after instilling the drops my eyes itched like crazy, at both corners of both eyes. The dosage was 1 drop each eye, 4X's daily. And I had only been using it for 1 & 1/2 days.”

PinkeyeNYC · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2018

“I have been using this on my bacterial pinkeye for 6 days! I still have pink eye and I am seeing almost no improvement. This is a terrible antibiotic and I'm upset my doctor even prescribed it to me. My daughter and mother in law used Ofloxacin and it cleared up in 3 days. I'm finally going to my doctor tomorrow to get just that. I have never had such an ineffective antibiotic.”

Need help · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2018

“Went to the doctor with itchy crusty eyelids he gave me this medicine been using it for 2 days the itching has now intensified and the crusty part is more crusty call the doctor for advice he wanted to reexamine me I did not go back because I feel he should have been able to diagnose me the first time . I went to another doctor and I receive another drop which has helped. I will not accept this medicine from another doctor. It really should be taken off the market”

Misery · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2018

“6th day using this and the constant tearing continues, bloodshot eyes glued shut every morning with mucous, absolute strings of slime being dug out with Q tips and best relief is warm salt water in the tub with my eyes open. If a medication can’t help any better than this after 6 days it shouldn’t be on the market. Big Pharma strikes again.”

villa777 · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2021

“The eye drops twice a day for the first 2 days did somehow to feel eye/burning/redness/itchiness. Thought that it will go away, but then I started to have to get feeling pain in my lower back and climbing up to my neck within my second day. I STOP THE MED and my back pain started to subside. Calling my doctor if there is such a side effect.”

SMCBOK March 28, 2015

Polytrim (polymyxin b / trimethoprim): “These eye drops helped with itching, swelling and discharge within 12 hours. The redness of the eye persisted longer.”

peachy · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

Polytrim (polymyxin b / trimethoprim): “This medication caused increased keratitis and blurred my vision terribly. It seems to have helped cure my infection, but left me with the side effects mentioned above.”

Ptnays January 1, 2020

“Awful!! Do not use this throw it in trash its awful”

Mrs Hopkins · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2018

“I went to the ER because I knew my kid had the pink eye they gave her the drops that night and the next day it looks way better , it works wonders”

Learn more about Conjunctivitis, Bacterial