Polymyxin b / trimethoprim ophthalmic Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to polymyxin b/trimethoprim ophthalmic: ophthalmic solution
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Eyelid swelling.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Eye irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Ocular side effects are the most common, and include local irritation, increased redness, burning, stinging, and/or itching. This may occur on instillation, within 48 hours, or at any time with extended use.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects associated with oral trimethoprim have included photosensitivity.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Polytrim (polymyxin B-trimethoprim ophthalmic)." Allergan Inc, Irvine, CA.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about polymyxin b/trimethoprim ophthalmic
- Polymyxin b/trimethoprim ophthalmic Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 9 Reviews
- Drug class: ophthalmic anti-infectives
Other brands: Polytrim
- Polymyxin B and Trimethoprim Ophthalmic Solution (FDA)
- Trimethoprim and Polymyxin B (Wolters Kluwer)