User Reviews for Penciclovir

Also known as: Denavir

Learn more about Penciclovir.

Cold Sores 36 reviews 22 medications

9.3
Summary of Penciclovir reviews 36 reviews 9.3

Reviews for Penciclovir

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Finally a medication that truly delivers on its claim! Clears up cold sores within a day or two if caught early, otherwise, still provides relief and shortens duration. This stuff works!!!"

Suz414 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've had cold sores for as long as I can remember. I always get them when I'm really stressed out. I've had up to 5 at one time. At that point, I finally went to my doctor who prescribed me Valtrex, which doesn't do much for me. I went to a dermatologist for an unrelated issue and he asked what I was taking for cold sores (I had one on my lip). He prescribed me Denavir and it works wonders. Cuts out the pain and itching and reduces healing time drastically! Luckily, I have tricare, so I have no co-pays for prescriptions. I didn't know it costs so much until I read other reviews! So thankful for my hubby being in the military!"

Payday27 May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "I bought it yesterday for 6 eur. My blister has already gone. I cannot believe it is so expensive in the US."

Jaime2001 April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Denavir is the only medication I've ever found that takes care of a cold sore as soon as you feel the tingle. I just don't understand why a small tube costs almost a thousand dollars!!"

Terriffic (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Almost $1000 for a 5 gram tube! The owners should be ashamed. They'll get rich, and hopefully be able to take all their riches to the grave."

Jim Smith Alias February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Had cold sores on lips & nose regularly since childhood. But not in the 10 or more years that I've had a Denavir prescription. In that time, if I apply at the first tingle, it rarely ever breaks through to become a sore. It has been a blessing. The cost is ridiculous. $700 plus, with a ~$175 insurance co-pay usually. Almost fainted last time I refilled, as CVS listed a $135 coupon on the receipt, so I wound up paying only $20. Do not know what that was about (asked no questions). I skipped out of the pharmacy quickly and enjoyed my surprise Christmas present!"

Cat Valleau December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Penciclovir is the active ingredient and it does work to clear cold sores faster. For those wondering why it costs $700+ in the USA, & less than $20 in other countries, the reason is because the USA has been unsuccessrful in purchasing pharmaceuticals at discounted prices. The more countries that get discounts, the more the USA has to pay because drug companies want to cover their losses. Europe's ability to buy cheap medication depends on the pharmaceutical companies' assumption that the USA will pay full price plus enough to cover the discount to X country in Europe. Other countries' bargaining directly affects American drug prices. Americans need to put pressure on politicians and insist on drug bargaining to make healthcare affordable."

Anonymous July 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "this is the best solution to nasty cold sores... If you are reading these reviews to get an idea about this medicine, stop now and order one right now. Believe everything every person is saying here about this cream. It is a miracle cream on every use."

Sorebegone (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "I am just trying it now, in 2 days my cold sore hasn't dried yet as it normally does with Urgo. In Europe Denavir (Fenivir is the name here) only costs 10 eur, how the hell can it cost $700 in the US??"

AnaEU March 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Best medicine ever!! Have been using it for years...tried everything else. Went to pick up my RX today...Cost $757.00, my insurance wont pay for it anymore. This is crazy!"

Sue F. N. T. March 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "NEVER have I used a medication for my cold sores that has been so effective. I've tried everything! Denivar is amazing. I have struggled with cold sores since I was about 12 years old, getting about two or three per year. My doctor prescribed Denivar last month when I first felt the "tingle", and it stopped the blister before it ever developed. I have found a miracle!!!!"

Veeiscool March 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "I have been getting several cold sores a year and I am not lucky enough to feel that first tingle. I wake up with a full blown blister! I've tried Abreva and several over the counter remedies with no luck. I finally asked my Dr for something stronger and they prescribed Valtrex. I had no luck with that either. I woke up on a Monday with a huge cold sore blister and took my Valtrex as prescribed with no luck. I saw my Dr again and asked for Denavir because I saw great reviews online. I applied it on Thursday to a very huge, and disgusting, blister every 2 hours as directed and by Sunday the cold sore was gone!! Normally it takes me almost 2 full weeks to get rid of one. This is truly my miracle product! However, it is ridiculously expansive."

jmo33 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Denavir is truly the best cure for cold sores. Heals fast and stops pain on contact. I love it!"

Brenhug March 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Didn't pick up the prescription. My cost was $300! Too bad! This is the best medicine for cold sores!"

BJazz February 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Went to the Dr and paid a $30.00 co-pay to get a prescription renewal for Denavir for cold sores. Went to the pharmacy and was told the insurance refused to allow it to be filled because the drug now costs $700.00. What did Novartis find out? Can this stuff can cure Cancer and are trying to fund to research? It's been around for years and has plenty of competitors. This is totally ridiculous. Plenty of online places out of the US offering to sell two tubes for 40.00. What gives?"

Gfob January 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Used it for years, works great but the side effect is empty pockets. Even with insurance, it costs $174, $700 w/o. You would think it is a life saving drug. Like the others, used to be a max $30 copay. My Dr. said to try otc Cortizone as soon as I feel a cold sore coming on, it actually works for me and costs under $10!!!"

DTW (taken for 10 years or more) November 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "I too can attest the same thing every one has said. It is the best cold sore medicine on the market. It will cut the outbreak time to a few days, opposed to the 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately, I was blown away this week at the retail cost of this prescription. I have been using this medication for over 15 years and my insurance has always covered it. The most being $40 for the small tube. Now, my new insurance does not cover it, and I found the price at the pharmacy is charging is $795. I cannot pay this price and the coupon on the internet only offers up to $45. I feel screwed/gauged by this pharmaceutical company (New American Therapeutic) who purchased the rights to this medication in 2010 by Norvatis. No generic is available."

Jeffrey1964 October 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "I'm only 16 but I've been getting cold sores since I was about 1 1/2 years old. I used to get them about at least once every two months but now that I'm getting older I get them at least twice a year. I've had so many troubles treating mine with medication and have tried everything!! When i get them I get them EVERYWHERE, I even have intense scar tissue on my chin from previous infections. Usually I let it takes it's natural course as medicines only seem to make it more painful. But my doctor prescribed Denavir and I tried it and at first I was skeptical, I had intense pain at application, but 10 minutes later the swelling was completely gone and had NO pain. I use it more as a pain reliever than anything else honestly."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "This is the best medicine for cold sores that I have ever tried. If you suffer from them, please, please, please get some. This had made such a difference in my life."

Annie5200691 May 27, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "I'm recent years...maybe once every 6 months (during times of extreme stress) I will get a cold sore usually on my chin. It would normally take 2 full weeks to heal, was the size of a quarter. I tried everything and my Dr. prescribed me this. It's a miracle...plain in simple. It zaps that cold sore in 3 days and immediately starts healing. You will pay through the nose if you don't have insurance but thank God I do as it's literally $500 for a small tube. My co pay is still $30 but it's worth every cent!"

Jkool30 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cold Sores: "Relief! Don't be without this medication if you ever get cold sores. Mine are infrequent, but deadly and horrid when they happen. This medicine stops the virus cold. The tingle means there's a little damage already, but it heals without making a gigantic ugly sore on your lip."

sanga February 3, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Great product. I've had cold sores since I was a kid (40+ years). I carry this product with me all the time. Usually get a cold sore two / three times a year but when I do, I'm ready. Real important, the moment you feel the tingle apply the med. Usually heals the sore in 3-4 days, but better than the normal 8-10 days. Earlier comment stated, do not squeeze the tube, that is correct. Even a slight squeeze you will waist alot. I usually store it (tube) in the prescription bottle that it comes in."

Illinois user (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "Pain is decreased as well as time of breakout. Best stuff ever but very expensive."

SmileGirlNC (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "May be influenced by sun exposure; a dog kissing you on the lips; a stranger kissing in the mouth; a woman's menstrual cycle. Apply this cream every few hours and at bedtime. It will hasten the healing. Also applying an ice cube helps."

Boss Tweed December 14, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Denavir (penciclovir) for Cold Sores: "I've been getting cold sores for as long as I can remember. Usually triggered by stress, but sometimes for no reason at all. Over the years I've tried EVERYTHING, Zovirax..whatever was the new product on the market. Denavir is the best topical ointment. But like everyone states, you must apply it as soon as possible - for me by the time I feel a slight tingle, it's too late. I was at work this time when I felt my lip tingle and literally ran home to get my Denavir. I suggest you carry the small tube in your wallet as I do now. I keep one at home, at work, and in my wallet - early application makes a huge difference in duration of cold sore. It's expensive - but worth it. One tip so as not to waste it - don't squeeze."

kate194721 July 4, 2013