User Reviews for Solodyn

Rosacea  Off-label 10.0
Acne   6.9

Reviews for Solodyn

Anonymous January 6, 2021

For Rosacea: “The only medicine that works for me”

Ivy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 26, 2020

For Acne: “Solodyn made my son's acne worse, and he ended up with pitting and scarring. His pediatrician suggested a milk free diet due to his Latino heritage. We gave that a whirl, and it really did the trick. No more outbreaks. The same thing worked for my grandson. He had terrible back acne, so we eliminated the milk. Wallah, it cleared up. NO DRUGS disrupting the gut biofilm.”

Ashleytravel · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 17, 2019

For Acne: “My 18 year old son took Solodyn for 2 years and developed medically induced lupus.”

Bmcgee · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2018

For Acne: “I’m on my second month of solodyn and my cystic acne is gone!!! My dermatologist put me on the 55mg dosage which is actually right below what I should be taking. I think a lot of the negative side effects people are having may be due to high dosage. I do feel like I’m having irregular periods. Other than that I feel fine. I do agree that it makes you gain weight! Although I think it’s fluid retention to be honest. Luckily my dermatologist only wants me on it for two months so I’m almost done.”

NA · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2018

For Acne: “This medication has cleared my acne completely, BUT I have been having a ton of headaches, joint pain and even gained 10lbs in a month. I have been on this med for about 3 months. Finally I thought let me read some reviews and side effects, because I don't take any other prescriptions and sure enough all those side effects popped up. And after reading these reviews. I'm stopping them. Its unfortunate you take a med for one problem and gain 10 more. Very disappointed”

Jomi · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2018

For Acne: “After trying everything and still breaking out really bad finally went in to get this prescribed. I have taken every day for about 5 weeks. I have not broken out once! I'm so happy I finally went to a dermatologist. It feels crazy finally waking up and not having any breakouts. Highly recommend”

Emily77 January 24, 2018

For Acne: “Solodyn worked amazingly. BUT, on day three I experienced tiredness in my body physically. The day after I stopped taking it (day four) I was experiencing joint pains that weren’t pleasant. I thought this would be safer than Accutane but it has some of the same side affects Accutane has. I don’t want to risk my health for clear skin. But remember everyone reacts differently. You could multiple side affects or none. Solodyn could work for you or if couldn’t. But if you ever do take it don’t take it longer than three months and every day notice if you are showing any side affects. You are beautiful with or without acne. Don’t let your skin define you. Don’t let it rule over you life. You decide how acne affects your life.”

Breezyyyy December 7, 2017

For Acne: “Was prescribed this last week, all was going well I noticed my skin was clearing up real nice. THEN I all of a sudden had an allergic reaction to it and have now since broken out in a rash that resembles immature chicken Pox all over my face/neck and now its going further down on to my chest. It feels drier than my skin has ever felt. For the record I have oily skin so when I say my face felt ridiculiously dry I mean it was insane. I look like I have chicken pox. This is awful.”

This really sucks November 19, 2017

For Acne: “I am 18 years old and I have been on Solodyn 55mg for three months now and my acne has only gotten worse. I had minimal breakouts on just my forehead and it honestly wasn't the worst, but I wanted it to be gone. My derm prescribed me with this medication for two months and after three weeks of taking the pill I started getting giant cysts on my jawline and cheeks. It is truly awful and I feel as if it is a waste of money and effort.”

sad:( November 15, 2017

For Acne: “I'm 18 years old and I've had horrible red inflamed acne since I was 14. My derm has put me on every topical cream he could think of and I was on Minocycline for six months I believe and at first my skin was the worst its ever been but then it was flawless due to the pill and my birth control. I stopped taking minocycline because my acne cleared up. I just recently started breaking out again so he put me on solodyn and its only been a week and my acne is worse than it ever was before taking oral prescriptions and even worse than my skin at its worst while on minocycline. I'm hoping that it'll have the same effect and clear my skin completely but right now its hopeless.”

terrosaurus · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2017

For Acne: “Started taking this medication about 2 months ago and it worked immediately. I usually average about one or two cystic acne breakouts a month along with smaller pimples that pop up here and there, but solodyn has kept my face clear throughout this whole time. The only side effects I've noticed is increased tiredness in the evening and minor migraines, but this is a payoff I'm willing to make for healthy skin!”

RachelK93 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2017

For Acne: “At 24 after struggling with hormonal chin acne (that flared before period) and occasional breakouts in my t-zone, my derm prescribed 65mg Solodyn, and Retin A in conjunction with a cleansing routine 2x a day using Cerave followed by Simple Smoothing Toner. At first, I did not see much improvement. Then at the one-month mark, all hell broke loose; I broke out like crazy for 2-3 weeks, huge zits in areas of my face that were not previously a problem. I was embarrassed and ready to call it quits, but after reading about it getting worse before it got better, I ordered my refill and decided to give it time. Suddenly, 1.5ish months in, success! No new breakouts (fingers crossed), and I even just started my cycle. Patience is the key w/ Solodyn”

Sheng111 May 15, 2017

For Acne: “I am on Solodyn for 5 month now and my first 3 months was bad and the 4th month got better but I developed a minor itch on my leg and I ask the doctor about it , guess was one of the drug side effects, Also feeling nausea or loopy is what I get some time too! But my back is so much better now and no acne or inflamed blackheads slowly clearing up! But worry about liver damage : (”

GreekPrincess80 May 15, 2017

For Acne: “I am taking this because I have Perioral Dermatitis. I was given solodyn for 1 week and the generic for 4 weeks. So far I have been on solodyn for 5 days. The first day I felt a little dry mouth....and up to now I feel a little nauseous and almost like my throat is "weird". I don't know if it's coincidence or the actual drug. I will finish this bottle and start the generic, but if I feel anything getting worse, I will stop it immediately. To me, it's just not worth it. Unfortunately, this only clears up with medication, not topical cream... I hope this medication does not make me feel worse!”

amanda101111 May 8, 2017

For Acne: “First week using solodyn and my acne is worse than ever. I had a lot on my cheeks, chin, and left side of my back but now its also on my forehead and my shoulders. I've woken up with 2-3 new pimples everyday for the past week since I started taking it. I really hope this is normal and it gets better soon cause this sucks :(”

Anonymous February 23, 2017

For Acne: “I've had acne since I was 12 years old. During high school, it was particualryl bad so I went on proactiv, which was awful!!! don't ever go on it. Anways, about my second year into college my acne got pretty bad again so I went to the derm over the summer. In fall, I got put on solodyn, acezone, and adapelene with a benzepro wash. I have been on this for over two months and I STILL GET ACNE. I currently have a bandaid on my face covering up a cyst I popped last night. The reason I didn't give it a zero is because I do think it has helped with the inflammation and reducing the number of pimples, but I want clear skin, not just less acne. Long story short, solodyn is okay but it will not clear up your skin.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2017

For Acne: “I'm 15 years old and I've been taking solodyn 55 mg for about a month now in addition to birth control which my dermatologist prescribed. I haven't been seeing any improvement yet and I am still continuing to get terrible breakouts.”

Mjj17 December 18, 2016

For Acne: “I was on Solodyn for 5 years. I am now 19 years old and just quit about 8 months ago. It made my skin FLAWLESS and got compliments all the time. Never any noticeable side affects, although I did quit because I was afraid it was killing my liver and being on an antibiotic for that long is dangerous. Also, the last 6 months I noticed my breakouts were no longer controlled, as if my body was becoming immune to the drug. Now being off it my skin is worse than ever with many, many cysts. Going back to the derm to hopefully find something else that perhaps is not as hurtful to the body (I can dream lol), overall a great experience with it, it just made me sick thinking of what it was damaging internally to my body. Best of luck!”

Emmmy W November 29, 2016

For Acne: “I started taking solodyn 80mg for a month after stopping my birth control and developing cystic acne as a result of stopping it. I have the giant cystic ones that come back worse every time I stop an antibiotic for acne (2 rounds of doxy, 1 round of minocycline). So I took it for 8 weeks total and noticed significant hair loss over those eight weeks with mild improvement in my acne. I got less giant pimples that were deep and under the surface, but within 1.5 weeks of stopping, I have them probably worse than ever. Felt tired and lazy most of the time while I was on it and had trouble focusing. Not worth the side effects for minimal improvement. Hope you have better luck.”

DDouble November 23, 2016

For Acne: “I just wanted to share the info I got from my doctor. I just got prescribed this medication today. Some people on here mentioned headaches, nausea and tanning both of which my doctor told me could be some side effects. Hope that helped! I hope this medicine helps me.”

JenGGo November 21, 2016

For Acne: “I am 25 years old and I've been taking Solodyn for four days now. I usually wake up with a few new pimples on my face but have not seen any of that since on this pill. I'm extremely happy since I've been suffering with breakouts since the age of fourteen. A side effect would be nausea but at this point in my life anything is worth having clear skin and not being self-conscious. Another thing to add on is that I have also been using Onexton which is a daily face gel.”

Vanessa324 November 2, 2016

For Acne: “I'm 32 years old and I was suffering from unwanted blemishes constantly. I was desperate to try anything to clear my skin - my last straw was seeing the dermatologist. I've now been on Solodyn for 3 months and my skin is nearly flawless with a small blemish rarely. Unfortunately my trade off for clear skin seems to be weight gain from Solodyn. I have been the same weight my entire life no matter what I ate. But since one Solodyn I have gone from 155 pounds to 170 pounds in 90 days and I'm even starving myself. Has anyone else had this side effect? and if so I hope the weight drops when I stop taking them. Help!”

DoubleU October 30, 2016

For Acne: “My close friend's very healthy 12 year old daughter was on Solodyn for what I would consider mild to moderate acne. A few weeks ago she started having significant stomach pain. They thought it was lactose intolerance, then maybe gluten intolerance. The pain worsened. Then she became severely constipated. The doctors did all types of GI testing. She began vomiting uncontrollably for days on end. Only upon going to the ER did they find after some blood work specifically checking for liver problems, that she had elevated enzymes. Scans showed liver enlargement. They took her off of the Solodyn. A few days later her liver is showing improvement and she can eat a bit. Official diagnosis was drug induced liver damage from the Solodyn.”

Lnnddsss · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2016

For Acne: “Solodyn cleared up my ACNE within just a few days, minimal side effects. Cleared up my acne and made my skin actually STAY clear, I haven't had any acne for about a month”

Kat337 October 14, 2016

For Acne: “I had tried just about every over the counter medicine available for acne for about three years. I then went to a dermatologist who prescribed Solodyn w/ Epiduo. I could see a distinct improvement with 2-3 weeks and at 3 months my skin looks almost totally clear. My dermatologist prescribed for 2 months, and at my second visit prescribed for another two months. I am nervous about coming off of Solodyn, because it has worked fantastically, but it is SO expensive and the coupon the company offers only has a limited number of refills. Other than the prohibitive cost (retail w/o a coupon), Solodyn gets my highest rating! My experience with Solodyn.....Be patient and you will see results.”