User Reviews for Memantine

Also known as: Namenda, Namenda XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Memantine.

Migraine

Autism

Alzheimer's Disease
5.6

Summary of Memantine reviews 7.5 30 reviews

Reviews for Memantine

For Autism: "My daughter started taking this at the age of 10. I had been told she would never read, graduate from school or be independent. She is now 15, Magna Cum Lauda with goals of becoming a forensic pathologist. She is involved in choir, student counsel and has a number of friends. It has made an overwhelming difference in the quality of her life and her ability to better control her compulsive behaviors"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alzheimer's Disease: "I was just reviewing this medicine and had about given up on it for my husband. Then I read about the man who has taken it for 5 years and has not had a bad reaction. Dr gave it to my husband because he said it will get more oxygen to the brain. My husband does not have Alzheimers but he was taking medicine for biopolar and his side effect for psychotic drugs was bad neurological conditions. He as been on Memantine for 9 months. He seems to be alright but will I will look for any side effects."

Heidi' (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autism: "My daughter is just started this medicine. She is taken guanfacine as well. Her stomach hurt she she was on but medicine seems to work her asperger. She is happy. We are given another try to this med with half dose to eliminate her stomach pain. Everything is better than weight gain asperger meds."

Sibelt October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Not Listed / Other: "New to this med, hopeful it helps my memory"

BLCL September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mom has been on this medication for one year and her condition (Dementia) is getting worst. She's hallucinating, aggressive, and extremely confused. It's seems as if this medication is making things worst and speeding up the progress of the dementia. This drug should not be on the market. I will bring her to her Psychologist soon and I will be asking for this drug to be taken off her daily medication intake. Please say no to this drug."

Ms. McKnight (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda XR (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My Mom is 94 years old and has been prescribed Namenda XR once a day for Alzheimer's disease. It has helped her to be quite clear and focused. When our neighbour recently fell and broke her back, Mom asked to find out the name of the rehab facility so she could send her flowers. Mom remembered that in January 2016, she fell and broke her tibila and fibula (leg) and this neighbor sent my Mom an orchid plant, making Mom feel very happy. Mom still forgets current information. Where are we going? To the doctor. 10 minutes later, where are we going? To the doctor. Also this medication is pricey, $162.01!"

Namenda XR works real good! August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Experimental drug, they say it MAY slow progression. For most it makes symptoms WORSE. Your doctor will not listen to you. Because they need to keep experimenting.... on your loved ones. My mother went from mild symptoms to a complete shut-down actually unable to function. The doctors solution was to double the dosage. Also the DRUG store wants to fill the script 5 to 7 days early EVERY month. This makes 14 months worth a year so you end up throwing pills away. Doesn't take much insight to see whats going on. Fix this and fix Americas health care sky rocketing costs. Doctors have become drug reps and politicians. Pretty arrogant. I couldn't even have a conversation with the doctor about this drug, I knew more than him after 15 min of research."

DINOO July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My husband has Vascular Dementia for appox. 4+ yrs. Has been on Memantine for almost a yr., no changes for the good, we expected that mostly, but he's more depressed, talks about wanting to die, cannot feel when he has to pee and just wets himself, more unstable walking, I understand this could be a result of the Dementia. So everything is impossible to judge, thank you all for not giving up and for continuing to look for solutions! God Bless you All, and help you find a cure, thanks for your time.....Pat"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Before my seizures my memory was almost perfect after I was lucky if could remember 2 minutes ago. Namenda helped me with one of the effects of the seizures and MS I hated the most it has helped me feel closer to the me before the seizures than any of the medications have. Only negative is the price and I'm fighting an up hill battle trying to get any kind of insurance."

Kyle4uk (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "I have been taking Namenda for almost a year for migraines and it has worked beautifully. When my pharmacy ran out, I said OK for the generic memantine made by Sunpharma. Big mistake. My headaches returned. Coincidence? I think not. I was able to get the insurance to approve a refill with brand-name Namenda and will resume that tomorrow."

Ron N April 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother has taken Namenda twice now. The first time she was so confuse after a week I stopped giving it to her. She has gotten worse over the years and for some reason her doctor had given me a new prescription for the same medicine. I tried it for two days and saw my mother become extremely confused so I stop giving it to her. I don't know why he insisted on Namenda after I told him it didn't work the first time."

Daughterx (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "Wife has taken for 2 years, no improvement, steady decline in symptoms."

Joe P. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Both of my parents suffer (ed) from Alzheimer's. My mother died last summer, 8 years after her diagnosis and never took any medication except for Lorazapam. My Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 6 months ago He began taking Ariecpt in November and Mamantadine in December. In five moths he has degenerated so rapidly that he is functioning at the same level as my mom was at in her last year of the disease. Every time the dose is increased he gets exponentially worse its noticeable almost daily. I am in the process of titration him off both. I wish I would have research it better. I thought that was the doctors job. This is the first online review I have written. Grateful to hear that I'm not imagining these side effects. Thanks"

KDDee January 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother has been taking it for one month and her dementia - which was mild - has gotten worse. She is confused and thinks that my brother lives with her. She was taking samples as she cannot afford the medicine"

SH carolina (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "I have taken it for about 4-5 yes. I feel able to cope pretty well considering. I live by myself and manage to do most things. I still have memory issues, but so do most people. I have been fortunate not to have had adverse effects of any consequence."

carolelanier (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My mum who has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and was at the stage of being extremely confused about where she was and who close relatives were began taking memantine in January 2015. In short it has given me my mum back. Mum is now relatively alert, has markedly improved memory and is back in the present. I had never imagined such an improvement was possible. It's really strange to be having conversations with mum about what she was like before taking the drug. Viki"

Ella23 July 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for : "My mom was given Namenda and got worse. Had hallucinations and got to the point that she didnt know me got very aggressive."

jtk (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda XR (memantine) for : "My mother is on a dose of 21 mg NAMENDA XR and I think it is making her symptoms worse. She is very medication sensitive and I see her CHI as more depressed, forgetful, worrisome and confused. I will be discussing as always with her doctor But I feel she needs to be removed from this medicine. Plus on a side note it is nearly impossible to get this medicine, although that has nothing to do with her taking the medication."

clssyeyes (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife (74) has been taking Namenda since the first diagnosis of Alzheimers two years ago. She also takes any supplement that promises to help retain or improve memory. Her memory has stayed about the same or gotten a little worse in that time. She has also taken Aricept during the same period."

#1caregiver October 16, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda XR (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife began the 4 stage process a couple of months ago, and I stopped it halfway through week 2 because she seemed to be getting more confused. We started again a month ago and are into the 2nd full dose, and I am very concerned that her condition is worse instead of better."

bsandy (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda XR (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife tried to add Namenda as a component of combination therapy but after continuous bouts of bronchitis we terminated Namenda and, as a result, she was (in short order) able to get rid of the bronchitis. Since Namenda had seemed promising (initially, before bronchitis), we were very disappointed that it seemed necessary to eliminate that component of her treatment. Although our neurologist had not previously seen a case in which bronchitis was a side effect of Namenda, he suggested we try Namenda XR. We are thrilled that she has been able to take Namenda XR without experiencing such a side effect and that Namenda XR appears to be providing desired benefits."

Hubbycare April 15, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "I began taking this medication on the recommendation of my neurologist for chronic migraines. I am currently taking Topamax and Elavil and I am attempting to get off the Topamax because the neuro felt it isn't helping any longer (I agree with her). I totally love the Namenda for my migraines!! All I can say is if you are wanting to try something different, please do try this. I have virtually no side effects...maybe the dizziness if I had to pick one, but overall, it is working better than I could have ever hoped!"

busymommy00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mom is 94 we started her on this medication because she was confused to the point of argument mostly in the late afternoon till bed time. After 5 days of treatment she seamed to be worse starting when she wakes up. Not sure what to do except to call doctor on Monday to ask what we should do."

Kerryokie August 10, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother has been taking Namenda for Alzheimer's for over a year now. She was first prescribed Aricept which made her more anxious/hyperactive & no noticeable positive impact. After 2 weeks of Namenda, there was noticeable improvement in her cognitive abilities. In fact, the light bulb finally went off & she realized she had Alzheimer's. She spent the next several days on the phone breaking the news to family and friends, who had known for over 2 years by that time. My opinion: Namenda keeps her in 2013 - in the present. Her logic, reasoning, problem-solving skills, short term memory, comprehension and communication skills are impaired from the disease, but she recognizes this and acknowledges her feelings of confusion."

KittensGma (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Autism: "I was first prescribed this for Asperger's syndrome at the age of 24. I've been on numerous types of medications since I was a teenager, but this is the first one that I've been on that has significantly helped. My quality of life is much better, I don't have as many ruminating, obsessive thoughts that make me miserable."

Anonymous999 January 12, 2013