User Reviews for Memantine

Alzheimer's Disease 4.4
Summary of Memantine reviews 5.2 52 reviews

Reviews for Memantine

Jack · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2020

“I take 10mg memantine daily for mood instability related to bipolar disorder type 2. It has changed my life for the better. I don't abuse my friends and family, my anxiety is significantly lessened, and I can act normally in social situations. I have been on it for 4 months now, and for the first time in many years I actually feel like I have a future. Memantine needs to be researched extensively for the treatment of mood disorders. It is insane to me that it is not more commonly used in non Alzheimer's conditions.”

jld · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2020

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mom started taking Memantine and after taking it for two weeks I believe this medication caused her to have very high blood pressure 220/110. She NEVER had issues with her BP before. She had to go to the ER due to a subconjunctival hemorrage which was very scary! She immediately stopped taking this medication after that incident.”

Tessa · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

For Migraine: “I tried memantine for my migraines. It made me really dizzy, which I had already been struggling with after a concussion, and it made me feel drunk. My brain felt slow, my whole body felt heavy, and walking was really hard because of the dizziness. My period is also now 9 days late and I know I'm not pregnant and I have never missed a period in my life. I'm really glad this medication works so well for so many people, but the side effects were too much for me to handle.”

Autistic dude · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2020

For Autism: “I take 20mg of Memantine for my slight autism! And this has been a miracle drug! It helps me in social interactions, I can recognize social cues and skills that I couldn't before! It also helps with my obsessive and aggressive problems! thank you to whoever made this drug”

Anita · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mother-in-law was on Aricept for one year and could only take 5mg a day because anything over that caused night terrors. Last week her doctor said disease progressing too fast so put her on Memantine. After taking only four pills she could not speak, could not move her legs, had no idea where she was. We took her off the medication and she is slowing gaining her speech and mobility back. Not sure if there is any permanent damage from the drug yet but definitely will never let her take it again.”

Joey January 15, 2020

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “Horrible drug! No help at all and they wanted my dad to take more! He just passed away from surgery complications but after being off it he was NORMAL. The doctor had him on so many meds, this being one along with Zoloft. These mind altering drugs are BAD! Also avoid Haldol. If you have a loved one PLEASE get them off these, I don't buy into these did wonders for my mom or dad, probably written by the drug companies reps. Watch the World News EVERY OTHER AD is a drug ad. The less you take the better. I'm sorry we gave these to my dad.”

bill January 3, 2020

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “It was a wonderful drug for my mother, with dementia, at 77. They first prescribed Aricept, which caused nausea. Asking the doctor 'what other drug may work'? She recommended Nameda. It became a miracle. It did not rectify some of the mental losses, but she no longer experienced hallucinations (in jail; on a boat). It came at the end of the year when insurance wouldn't pay for the drug. So I waited for two weeks without drug to resume insurance at the first of the year. During this time she regressed mentally. As soon as I started it again, she improved-true testament. I was able to have my mom back for two years until stroke. I swear by Namenda for only my mother. I tell everyone. As with any drug, it may not work for others, but it was truly a God-send for my sweet mother. She and I were lucky.”

Sat October 30, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mom is on memantine and donep for alzheimer's for past 6 months. She is doing well now. In the middle she missed her pill for 1 week and her condition became worse like hallucinations, forgetting family members and not dressing properly. After starting again she recovered. I hope this works on her for long long time.”

DC · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Problem. Patient forgets recent events and the doctor told us it was due to insufficient blood supply to the brain. And prescribed Dement (memantine). Immediately (2 days) condition worsens to hallucinations and confusion. Took some two other vitamins from a pharmacist for 3 months. Patient was clearly getting better in fact even the recent memory was getting better, with the vitamins. Went back to the neurological doctor and explained every thing to him. He told us to reuse memantine and by the third day the negative side effects we were back. As of tomorrow it will be taken off”

Heather · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 1, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mum was put on memantine just over a year ago for symptoms from vascular dementia. The starting dose of 10mg made her very sleepy , after consulting with the geriatrician ( psychiatrist) it was increased to 15 mg and the changes were almost instant. Mum started answering the telephone, having conversations again . No noticeable side effects. Recently she has become very quiet and less chatty so the dose has been increased to 20mg. Mum has become very sleepy again so not sure if it’s the dementia or meds. Time will tell We are in Scotland so meds are free”

CT · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 27, 2019

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My sister has Moderate Frontal Lone Alzheimer’s. She was extremely agitated, angry and weepy. She was withdrawing into herself and had little awareness of her surroundings and had difficulty with dressing and toileting. Literally after the first day of Namenda 20mg it was like someone turned the lights on. It’s been 2 months now and she is aware and able to go for walks by herself; dress herself and play the piano. Her memory and executive function continue to be poor. Nothing short of a miracle. Not sure how long this will last.”

Suz14p · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mother has Dementia. She's been taking Donepezil (Aricept) for about 5 years. 14 days ago, the Dr. added Memantine (generic Namenda). My mother's confusion has amplified. I have researched the side affects and confusion is one of them. I'm glad I found this site to know that others have had problems too & it's not just me over thinking. I'm taking her off of it immediately.”

Anonymous March 23, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “I haven't experienced this firsthand but I've been researching this drug thoroughly, and I am conflicted with it's efficiency. Of course, it will be a different reaction for everyone; not everyone is the same. And I don't know which is harder; treating for it and getting side effects, or not, and losing your memory. My heart goes out to every person who has to go through that, and their families as well.”

Babs · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 16, 2019

“My husband is the patient. He has had Parkinsons about 10 years. About 3 years ago he started having memory problems to the point of not remembering the day of the week or what he had just eaten. The neurologist prescribed Aricept which did not show much improvement but soon he decided to try memantine 5mg morning and night. The memantine has been remarkable for his memory and parkinsons and how it has brought him back around, I am amazed at what all he remembers and just occasionally has a little problem. Sorry so many people have not been helped as he has but I can say Thank God it works great for him so far.”

HippyJr · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2019

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My mother has taken aricept for 5 years. Dr. Added namenda immediately caused two falls. Broken shoulder then a broken wrist. This drug should not be used!”

Autie101 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 11, 2019

For Autism: “I take 10mg twice daily for autism spectrum disorder. It stops the intrusive thoughts, rumination, and repetitive thinking which is a Godsend. It also reduces repetitive behaviour/stereotypes. I haven't noticed any side effects, maybe a little brain fog, but that has disappeared with continued use.”

RF · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Started this about 5 weeks ago and take 10mg 2x daily. Using it with 100mg Luvox and 450mg Wellbutrin for OCD. Not too many side effects to date. Work up to the maintenance dose. The Luvox is a different story. Had to go back on Wellbutrin to stay awake. Also using low dose Naltrexone daily. Years of Benzos, alcohol, and Ambien took it's toll on my memory.”

MSD · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mother and stepmother both have dementia. My mother was on the Exalon patch and my stepmother is on donepazil and memantine. She started it at stage 4. I see no real positive effects. The side effects are really bad and requires additional medication. I think that this drug may help in the earlier stages. Its very expensive and difficult to give. The extended release is better for the Alzheimer's patients. Not sure I would take it. Causes mood swings.”

Claire · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2018

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “Three days in to this drug and find the condition worsening for mom dramatically”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My father has been diagnosed with dementia he was gradually getting worse not recognizing us ( his adult children) and not sure which era he was in ( he is 92 years of age) then he started wandering on the road my mum was at her wits end looking after him. Then his doctor prescribed Marixino and it literally has been a complete turn around. He is back over in his garden pottering about, he remembers all our names knows who he is again laughs tell jokes and has his little sarcastic humor back! My brother also has been giving our dad dioralyte for dehydration and movicol to help his bowel movements and a combination of all these seem to have greatly improved dads whole well being.”

gp · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2018

For Migraine: “Very happy with this drug! I have tried a long list of supposed migraine prophylactic drugs over the last 15 years but none have worked for me. Memantine is a game changer for me. I started at 5 mg and titrated up to 10 mg after a week. I very quickly began to see an effect with the 10 mg. The frequency of headaches was greatly reduced and even the ones I did have were much milder sometimes to the point that I didn't have to use my usual triptan. I am now at 15 mg for the last few weeks to see if I can get any further improvement. I have gone from having ~12 headaches a month to around 4 mild ones very quickly. I have no side effects that are apparent to me- a little burning in my legs for a few days when I increase the dose.”

Rocco March 13, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My dad was in advanced stage Alzheimer's, experiencing hallucinations and garbled sentence. He has been on the medication for about 6 weeks and I see a huge improvement. His hallucinations have disappeared along with his garbled sentences. He does experience headaches and lightheadedness. The first week on it he was sleepy and mean, but this subsided. I don't know how long this will last, but I see a marked improvement.”

Tina · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 28, 2018

Namenda XR (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My mother was on this for several years when she lived alone. She had increasing anxiety over time to the point of not being suitable to go to a restaurant. I asked her to go off it for a while. The difference in her anxiety off this medication was astounding. She went back on this medication fearing her dementia was worsening off of it. The family physician prescribed Trazadone to counteract the anxiety. Over a two month period her decline was extremely marked. She did not have anxiety but had a huge decline in memory and personality. She is now off of both meds. and has very low anxiety. However, it looks like the decline in memory is permanent. Her psychiatrist told us long ago that these medications do nothing and have some pretty severe side effects.”

Anonymous January 10, 2018

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: “My Dad took this medication and on the 7mg and 14mg did quite well. At first I thought it was a miracle drug. Being time released was wonderful but it was so dang expensive. Almost $220.00 for a two week supply. We got the generic from the VA which is not time released and it was awful. We took him off it and the hallucinations continue but at least they are friendly people.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 23, 2017

For Autism: “My daughter started taking this at the age of 10. I had been told she would never read, graduate from school or be independent. She is now 15, Magna Cum Lauda with goals of becoming a forensic pathologist. She is involved in choir, student counsel and has a number of friends. It has made an overwhelming difference in the quality of her life and her ability to better control her compulsive behaviors”