User Reviews for Memantine

Alzheimer's Disease
5.5

Summary of Memantine reviews 6.0 36 reviews

Reviews for Memantine

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "Three days in to this drug and find the condition worsening for mom dramatically"

Claire (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My father has been diagnosed with dementia he was gradually getting worse not recognizing us ( his adult children) and not sure which era he was in ( he is 92 years of age) then he started wandering on the road my mum was at her wits end looking after him. Then his doctor prescribed Marixino and it literally has been a complete turn around. He is back over in his garden pottering about, he remembers all our names knows who he is again laughs tell jokes and has his little sarcastic humor back! My brother also has been giving our dad dioralyte for dehydration and movicol to help his bowel movements and a combination of all these seem to have greatly improved dads whole well being."

Dee (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2018

For Migraine: "Very happy with this drug! I have tried a long list of supposed migraine prophylactic drugs over the last 15 years but none have worked for me. Memantine is a game changer for me. I started at 5 mg and titrated up to 10 mg after a week. I very quickly began to see an effect with the 10 mg. The frequency of headaches was greatly reduced and even the ones I did have were much milder sometimes to the point that I didn't have to use my usual triptan. I am now at 15 mg for the last few weeks to see if I can get any further improvement. I have gone from having ~12 headaches a month to around 4 mild ones very quickly. I have no side effects that are apparent to me- a little burning in my legs for a few days when I increase the dose."

gp (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My dad was in advanced stage Alzheimer's, experiencing hallucinations and garbled sentence. He has been on the medication for about 6 weeks and I see a huge improvement. His hallucinations have disappeared along with his garbled sentences. He does experience headaches and lightheadedness. The first week on it he was sleepy and mean, but this subsided. I don't know how long this will last, but I see a marked improvement."

Rocco March 13, 2018

Namenda XR (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother was on this for several years when she lived alone. She had increasing anxiety over time to the point of not being suitable to go to a restaurant. I asked her to go off it for a while. The difference in her anxiety off this medication was astounding. She went back on this medication fearing her dementia was worsening off of it. The family physician prescribed Trazadone to counteract the anxiety. Over a two month period her decline was extremely marked. She did not have anxiety but had a huge decline in memory and personality. She is now off of both meds. and has very low anxiety. However, it looks like the decline in memory is permanent. Her psychiatrist told us long ago that these medications do nothing and have some pretty severe side effects."

Tina (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 28, 2018

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My Dad took this medication and on the 7mg and 14mg did quite well. At first I thought it was a miracle drug. Being time released was wonderful but it was so dang expensive. Almost $220.00 for a two week supply. We got the generic from the VA which is not time released and it was awful. We took him off it and the hallucinations continue but at least they are friendly people."

Anonymous January 10, 2018

For Autism: "My daughter started taking this at the age of 10. I had been told she would never read, graduate from school or be independent. She is now 15, Magna Cum Lauda with goals of becoming a forensic pathologist. She is involved in choir, student counsel and has a number of friends. It has made an overwhelming difference in the quality of her life and her ability to better control her compulsive behaviors"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 23, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: "I was just reviewing this medicine and had about given up on it for my husband. Then I read about the man who has taken it for 5 years and has not had a bad reaction. Dr gave it to my husband because he said it will get more oxygen to the brain. My husband does not have Alzheimers but he was taking medicine for biopolar and his side effect for psychotic drugs was bad neurological conditions. He as been on Memantine for 9 months. He seems to be alright but will I will look for any side effects."

Heidi' (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 23, 2017

For Autism: "My daughter is just started this medicine. She is taken guanfacine as well. Her stomach hurt she she was on but medicine seems to work her asperger. She is happy. We are given another try to this med with half dose to eliminate her stomach pain. Everything is better than weight gain asperger meds."

Sibelt October 17, 2017

For Not Listed / Other: "New to this med, hopeful it helps my memory"

BLCL September 13, 2017

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mom has been on this medication for one year and her condition (Dementia) is getting worst. She's hallucinating, aggressive, and extremely confused. It's seems as if this medication is making things worst and speeding up the progress of the dementia. This drug should not be on the market. I will bring her to her Psychologist soon and I will be asking for this drug to be taken off her daily medication intake. Please say no to this drug."

Ms. McKnight (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 11, 2017

Namenda XR (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My Mom is 94 years old and has been prescribed Namenda XR once a day for Alzheimer's disease. It has helped her to be quite clear and focused. When our neighbour recently fell and broke her back, Mom asked to find out the name of the rehab facility so she could send her flowers. Mom remembered that in January 2016, she fell and broke her tibila and fibula (leg) and this neighbor sent my Mom an orchid plant, making Mom feel very happy. Mom still forgets current information. Where are we going? To the doctor. 10 minutes later, where are we going? To the doctor. Also this medication is pricey, $162.01!"

Namenda XR works real good! August 20, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Experimental drug, they say it MAY slow progression. For most it makes symptoms WORSE. Your doctor will not listen to you. Because they need to keep experimenting.... on your loved ones. My mother went from mild symptoms to a complete shut-down actually unable to function. The doctors solution was to double the dosage. Also the DRUG store wants to fill the script 5 to 7 days early EVERY month. This makes 14 months worth a year so you end up throwing pills away. Doesn't take much insight to see whats going on. Fix this and fix Americas health care sky rocketing costs. Doctors have become drug reps and politicians. Pretty arrogant. I couldn't even have a conversation with the doctor about this drug, I knew more than him after 15 min of research."

DINOO July 19, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My husband has Vascular Dementia for appox. 4+ yrs. Has been on Memantine for almost a yr., no changes for the good, we expected that mostly, but he's more depressed, talks about wanting to die, cannot feel when he has to pee and just wets himself, more unstable walking, I understand this could be a result of the Dementia. So everything is impossible to judge, thank you all for not giving up and for continuing to look for solutions! God Bless you All, and help you find a cure, thanks for your time.....Pat"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Before my seizures my memory was almost perfect after I was lucky if could remember 2 minutes ago. Namenda helped me with one of the effects of the seizures and MS I hated the most it has helped me feel closer to the me before the seizures than any of the medications have. Only negative is the price and I'm fighting an up hill battle trying to get any kind of insurance."

Kyle4uk (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2016

For Migraine: "I have been taking Namenda for almost a year for migraines and it has worked beautifully. When my pharmacy ran out, I said OK for the generic memantine made by Sunpharma. Big mistake. My headaches returned. Coincidence? I think not. I was able to get the insurance to approve a refill with brand-name Namenda and will resume that tomorrow."

Ron N April 12, 2016

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother has taken Namenda twice now. The first time she was so confuse after a week I stopped giving it to her. She has gotten worse over the years and for some reason her doctor had given me a new prescription for the same medicine. I tried it for two days and saw my mother become extremely confused so I stop giving it to her. I don't know why he insisted on Namenda after I told him it didn't work the first time."

Daughterx (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "Wife has taken for 2 years, no improvement, steady decline in symptoms."

Joe P. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2016

For Alzheimer's Disease: "Both of my parents suffer (ed) from Alzheimer's. My mother died last summer, 8 years after her diagnosis and never took any medication except for Lorazapam. My Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 6 months ago He began taking Ariecpt in November and Mamantadine in December. In five moths he has degenerated so rapidly that he is functioning at the same level as my mom was at in her last year of the disease. Every time the dose is increased he gets exponentially worse its noticeable almost daily. I am in the process of titration him off both. I wish I would have research it better. I thought that was the doctors job. This is the first online review I have written. Grateful to hear that I'm not imagining these side effects. Thanks"

KDDee January 20, 2016

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My mother has been taking it for one month and her dementia - which was mild - has gotten worse. She is confused and thinks that my brother lives with her. She was taking samples as she cannot afford the medicine"

SH carolina (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "I have taken it for about 4-5 yes. I feel able to cope pretty well considering. I live by myself and manage to do most things. I still have memory issues, but so do most people. I have been fortunate not to have had adverse effects of any consequence."

carolelanier (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease: "My mum who has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and was at the stage of being extremely confused about where she was and who close relatives were began taking memantine in January 2015. In short it has given me my mum back. Mum is now relatively alert, has markedly improved memory and is back in the present. I had never imagined such an improvement was possible. It's really strange to be having conversations with mum about what she was like before taking the drug. Viki"

Ella23 July 20, 2015

Namenda (memantine) for : "My mom was given Namenda and got worse. Had hallucinations and got to the point that she didnt know me got very aggressive."

jtk (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2015

Namenda XR (memantine) for : "My mother is on a dose of 21 mg NAMENDA XR and I think it is making her symptoms worse. She is very medication sensitive and I see her CHI as more depressed, forgetful, worrisome and confused. I will be discussing as always with her doctor But I feel she needs to be removed from this medicine. Plus on a side note it is nearly impossible to get this medicine, although that has nothing to do with her taking the medication."

clssyeyes (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2014

Namenda (memantine) for Alzheimer's Disease: "My wife (74) has been taking Namenda since the first diagnosis of Alzheimers two years ago. She also takes any supplement that promises to help retain or improve memory. Her memory has stayed about the same or gotten a little worse in that time. She has also taken Aricept during the same period."

#1caregiver October 16, 2014