User Reviews for Memantine

Also known as: Namenda, Namenda XR

Learn more about Memantine.

Memantine Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease.

Reviews for Memantine to treat Alzheimer's Disease

"Before my seizures my memory was almost perfect after I was lucky if could remember 2 minutes ago. Namenda helped me with one of the effects of the seizures and MS I hated the most it has helped me feel closer to the me before the seizures than any of the medications have. Only negative is the price and I'm fighting an up hill battle trying to get any kind of insurance."

Kyle4uk (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2016

Namenda (memantine): "My mother has taken Namenda twice now. The first time she was so confuse after a week I stopped giving it to her. She has gotten worse over the years and for some reason her doctor had given me a new prescription for the same medicine. I tried it for two days and saw my mother become extremely confused so I stop giving it to her. I don't know why he insisted on Namenda after I told him it didn't work the first time."

Daughterx (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

Namenda (memantine): "Wife has taken for 2 years, no improvement, steady decline in symptoms."

Joe P. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2016

"Both of my parents suffer (ed) from Alzheimer's. My mother died last summer, 8 years after her diagnosis and never took any medication except for Lorazapam. My Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 6 months ago He began taking Ariecpt in November and Mamantadine in December. In five moths he has degenerated so rapidly that he is functioning at the same level as my mom was at in her last year of the disease. Every time the dose is increased he gets exponentially worse its noticeable almost daily. I am in the process of titration him off both. I wish I would have research it better. I thought that was the doctors job. This is the first online review I have written. Grateful to hear that I'm not imagining these side effects. Thanks"

KDDee January 20, 2016

Namenda (memantine): "My mother has been taking it for one month and her dementia - which was mild - has gotten worse. She is confused and thinks that my brother lives with her. She was taking samples as she cannot afford the medicine"

SH carolina (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

Namenda (memantine): "I have taken it for about 4-5 yes. I feel able to cope pretty well considering. I live by myself and manage to do most things. I still have memory issues, but so do most people. I have been fortunate not to have had adverse effects of any consequence."

carolelanier (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2015

"My mum who has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and was at the stage of being extremely confused about where she was and who close relatives were began taking memantine in January 2015. In short it has given me my mum back. Mum is now relatively alert, has markedly improved memory and is back in the present. I had never imagined such an improvement was possible. It's really strange to be having conversations with mum about what she was like before taking the drug. Viki"

Ella23 July 20, 2015

Namenda (memantine): "My wife (74) has been taking Namenda since the first diagnosis of Alzheimers two years ago. She also takes any supplement that promises to help retain or improve memory. Her memory has stayed about the same or gotten a little worse in that time. She has also taken Aricept during the same period."

#1caregiver October 16, 2014

Namenda XR (memantine): "My wife began the 4 stage process a couple of months ago, and I stopped it halfway through week 2 because she seemed to be getting more confused. We started again a month ago and are into the 2nd full dose, and I am very concerned that her condition is worse instead of better."

bsandy (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2014

Namenda XR (memantine): "My wife tried to add Namenda as a component of combination therapy but after continuous bouts of bronchitis we terminated Namenda and, as a result, she was (in short order) able to get rid of the bronchitis. Since Namenda had seemed promising (initially, before bronchitis), we were very disappointed that it seemed necessary to eliminate that component of her treatment. Although our neurologist had not previously seen a case in which bronchitis was a side effect of Namenda, he suggested we try Namenda XR. We are thrilled that she has been able to take Namenda XR without experiencing such a side effect and that Namenda XR appears to be providing desired benefits."

Hubbycare April 15, 2014

Namenda (memantine): "My mom is 94 we started her on this medication because she was confused to the point of argument mostly in the late afternoon till bed time. After 5 days of treatment she seamed to be worse starting when she wakes up. Not sure what to do except to call doctor on Monday to ask what we should do."

Kerryokie August 10, 2013

Namenda (memantine): "My mother has been taking Namenda for Alzheimer's for over a year now. She was first prescribed Aricept which made her more anxious/hyperactive & no noticeable positive impact. After 2 weeks of Namenda, there was noticeable improvement in her cognitive abilities. In fact, the light bulb finally went off & she realized she had Alzheimer's. She spent the next several days on the phone breaking the news to family and friends, who had known for over 2 years by that time. My opinion: Namenda keeps her in 2013 - in the present. Her logic, reasoning, problem-solving skills, short term memory, comprehension and communication skills are impaired from the disease, but she recognizes this and acknowledges her feelings of confusion."

KittensGma (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Namenda (memantine): "We started my Dad on Namenda and by day 2 he was more confused, lost and irritable than usual so my Mom stopped it. The Dr asked her to start again and the same day he experienced the same side effects so she stopped. Last week she decided to try it one more time to make sure. Dad was VERY confused and not easy to take care of. I guess he is just one of those people that can't take this medication. Too bad. It helps so many people."

Anonymous April 6, 2012

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Namenda (memantine): "Mom has taken since 2007. Wish it was a time release medication. Too hard to get Alzheimer's patients to take medicines even once a day. It does help but may cause dehydration."

Anonymous February 18, 2012

Namenda (memantine): "My mother has been treated with the Exelon (patch) for two years now. Last month she was changed to Namenda. She has become irritable, aggressive/depressed and more confused than before. We are asking the doctor to switch back to Exelon."

daughterconcern January 16, 2012

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Namenda (memantine): "My wife started with two a day in conjunction with Exelon patch ..was dizzy so went to one a day. After 8 months her short memory is worse so we want to go to the two a day routine."

berbil November 21, 2011

"My father is 80 years old, uses memantine for two years now and experiences constipation and minor hallucinations as side effects."

Anonymous September 20, 2011

Namenda (memantine): "Patient exhibits no improvement after 12 months of supervised treatment."

kalck August 31, 2010

Namenda (memantine): "My Mother has taken Namenda since it was approved. I think it may help slow the neurological decline of a patient."

BDN JD May 20, 2009

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Namenda (memantine): "After 2 years of taking Namenda at age 93 she is no worse. It may have helped by slowing down or stopping this terrible condition."

Anonymous September 19, 2008

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate