Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 14, 2023.
Applies to the following strengths: 2 mg/mL; 10 mg; 5 mg; 7 mg; 14 mg; 21 mg; 28 mg; immediate release; extended release
Usual Adult Dose for:
Additional dosage information:
Usual Adult Dose for Alzheimer's Disease
Week 1: 5 mg orally once a day.
Week 2: 10 mg orally/day (Administer 5 mg twice a day.)
Week 3: 15 mg orally/day (Administer 5 mg and 10 mg as separate doses.)
Week 4/Maintenance Dose: 20 mg orally/day (Administer 10 mg twice a day.)
- Initial Dose: 7 mg orally once a day.
- Maintenance and Maximum Dose: 28 mg orally once a day; increase the initial dose in 7 mg increments to the recommended maintenance dose.
Comments: The minimum recommended interval between dose increases is one week; only increase dosage if the previous dose has been well tolerated.
Use: Treatment of moderate to severe dementia of the Alzheimer's type.
Renal Dose Adjustments
- Mild and Moderate Renal Impairment (CrCl 30 to 80 mL/min): No adjustment recommended.
- Severe Renal Impairment (CrCl 5 to 29 mL/min): Immediate-Release: 5 mg orally twice a day; Extended-Release (Maintenance and Maximum Dose): 14 mg orally once a day.
Liver Dose Adjustments
- Mild and Moderate Hepatic Impairment (Child-Pugh A and B): No adjustment recommended.
- Severe Hepatic Impairment (Child-Pugh C): Immediate-Release: Use with caution; Extended-Release: Data not available.
SWITCHING FROM IMMEDIATE-RELEASE (IR) TO EXTENDED RELEASE (XR):
- Patient on Regimen of 10 Mg IR Twice a Day: Switch to 28 mg XR once a day on the day following the last dose of the IR drug.
- Patients with Severe Renal Impairment (CrCl 5 to 29 mL/min): Switch to 14 mg XR once a day on the day following the last dose of the IR drug.
- Comments: There is no study data addressing the comparative efficacy of the 10 mg IR twice a day and 28 mg XR once a day regimens.
FAILING TO TAKE THE DRUG (IR or XR) FOR SEVERAL DAYS: Consider resuming treatment at a lower dose and re-titrate according to the standard titration scheme.
Safety and efficacy have not been established in patients younger than 18 years.
Consult WARNINGS section for additional precautions.
Data not available.
- Administer this drug with or without food.
- In the event of a missed dose, advise patients to take the next dose as scheduled and not to double up on that dose.
- EXTENDED-RELEASE CAPSULES: May be opened and its contents sprinkled on applesauce; instruct patients to consume the entire contents of each capsule and not to divide the dose.
- EXTENDED-RELEASE CAPSULES: Except when opened and sprinkled on applesauce, advise patients to swallow the capsules whole and not to divide, chew, or crush them.
- ORAL SOLUTION: Consult the manufacturer product information for instructions on use of the dosing device that comes with this drug formulation.
- ORAL SOLUTION: Do not mix with any other liquid; consult the manufacturer product information for preparation/handling instructions.
- Overdosage: No specific antidote is available; use standard clinical procedures such as urine acidification, carbo medicinalis (interruption of potential entero-hepatic recirculation), gastric lavage, and forced diuresis as appropriate.
- ORAL SOLUTION: If using the bottle with the mounted pump, keep and transport the bottle in a vertical position.
- Reassess the clinical benefit, tolerance, and dosing of this drug on a regular basis, preferably within 3 months after treatment initiation and according to current clinical guidelines thereafter.
- Avoid potentially dangerous activities such as driving and operating machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
More about memantine
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (79)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: miscellaneous central nervous system agents
- En español
- Memantine drug information
- Memantine (Advanced Reading)
- Memantine Tablets
- Memantine Extended-Release Capsules
- Memantine Solution
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.