User Reviews for Imatinib to treat Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor

Also known as: Gleevec

Imatinib has an average rating of 8.6 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor. 89% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Imatinib Rating Summary

8.6/10 average rating

Compare all 10 medications used in the treatment of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor.

Reviews for Imatinib

marywelzen August 6, 2009

Gleevec (imatinib): “After having surgery to remove my gastrointestinal stromal tumor one year ago, and having a CT scan every 3 months, I am NED (no evidence of disease), due to taking Gleevec. I only have one noticeable side of effect, occasional nausea.”

Gist Survivor · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 14, 2013

Gleevec (imatinib): “I am taking Gleevec after surgery, to remove 15ccmm tumor. It has been 7 months and I am tumor free. The main side effects of taking Gleevec has been abdominal bloating with pain, at times severe. I am able to handle the side effects for the most part, but when it becomes too much, I just reduce my dose for a few days until I feel better, normally or for two days a week. I was on Gleevec for 5 months prior to surgery. It didn't reduce the tumor, but it stop its growth and reduced the density considerably.”

pmsmd · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 30, 2013

Gleevec (imatinib): “I had a 5 cm Gastrointestinal Stroma Tumor removed from my stomach about a year ago and have been on Gleevec 400 mg since Nov. 2012. Main side effects are occasional muscle cramping that can be intense, mild periorbital edema, mild-moderate nausea. Most worrisome for me is a very low ANC (absolute neutrophil count) that is being closely monitored.”

Batangueno Barako June 26, 2016

Gleevec (imatinib): “In April of 2012, I was diagmosed to have GIST high grade by my Doctors. The tumor was resectable and it was removed immediately. My surgeon removed 80% of my stomach and I find it successful operation. My Oncologist prescribed Glivec (Imatinib) 100 mg x 4 tabs a day for two (2) years from August 24, 2012 to August 24, 2014.I had my PET Scan every six (6) months for the surveilance of possible tumor recurrence, PET scan was stopped in 2015 since the tumor did not recur until now. It was hard in the first 2 months since my skin had discoloration and allergies but I beat them all. I live a happy life with my family with prayers with the Lord above. Glivec is a wonderful cancer drug but it was so expensive. GOD SPEED.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2020

Gleevec (imatinib): “Diagnosed with large Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (Gist) (27/30 cm) which was completely removed in 2019. I have been on Imatinib 400mg on and off since February 2020. Due to the side effects I am now on 300mg. I'm able to tolerate it better although side effects are beginning to show. May have to take a break from the imatinib. Scans have been clear so far.”

Twinnie · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 13, 2020

Gleevec (imatinib): “I had a large Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (gist) removed from the stomach in 9/2015. I was put on 400mg Gleevec but had to stop early on due to a low white count; was tested weekly and restarted with no issues in the white count. A CT scan in 2019 was clean. Side effects are diarrhea, runny nose, vomiting (early on but no longer), weight gain, and now vision changes. I'm currently seeking an oncology doctor as my neurologist is setting up an MRI to rule out optic nerve issues. He believes Gleevec maybe be the cause. I've been on it for 5 years now @400mg per day. Happy to be alive!”

Cee · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 4, 2019

“Taking 400 units daily since 2010. Monitored every 6 months for potential recurrence. So far there is no evidence of recurrence. I tend to retain fluids, suffer from intense hand and foot cramps, and have brain fog after taking Imatinib. Medications and diet modifications help with first two side effects. Timing of taking med helps with the third. Glad to be alive and credit Gleevec/iminitib for 8 years of good living.”

Australia · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 7, 2021

Gleevec (imatinib): “In 2016 I had a GIST removed that was attached to my bowel.I was on Imitanib 400g until 2019.In April 2021 my GIST returned in several locations(ct scan) around my abdomen. I went straight back on Imitanib 400g & after approximately 1 month I had a PET scan (whole body) & to my relief all previous tumors were gone. I am still taking Imitanib 400g & my Oncologist says we will monitor for next 5 years. So far so good. I have relatively no side effects except I have developed a slight tremor which I am looking into. Does anyone have a similar tremor experience? Other wise life is good.”

rpavlow November 11, 2014

Gleevec (imatinib): “Mom has been on this since 2003 and is stable, I am very happy.”

Steve Ingle March 5, 2015

Gleevec (imatinib): “Apart from sluggishness and diarrhea, this has kept me alive for 10 years.”