User Reviews for Vascepa (Page 3)

Hypertriglyceridemia
6.2
Cardiovascular Risk Reduction
5.3

Reviews for Vascepa

Marty C · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2016

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “My Dr. prescribed this drug to lower my triglycerides. My numbers went from over 1400 down to 425 in three months. I continue to take this drug and have seen additional drop in my triglyceride numbers. I have had angioplasty with cardiac stent and diagnosed with CAD also Type 2 diabetic so I know the importance of getting my cholesterol under control. The drug is rather expensive though.”

Michelle · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2018

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I started this drug on 4/13/2018 and within a week of being on it I became bloated, gassy and constipated. My skin is like an oil spill and I'm retaining water like a blow fish. I'm on a diuretic for hpyertension and retaining water only shoots my BP up. As much water as I drink throughout the day, I might go to the bathroom 3 times total. My muscles ache constantly with no relief of any of these side effects I stopped taking it as of yesterday. Statins I cannot take without the joint and muscle pains and literally not able to walk or go up/down stairs. My triglyscerids on April 5th were 257 and my total cholesterol was 211.”

Sue · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2018

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “Took Vascepa for 2 months, about to start 3rd month when I started to have flashes (floater type) in my eye to the extreme. I also felt pressure in my left eye. I went to my opthalmologist who told me the gel inside my eye was pushing forward and might cause tear to my retina. I was given another appointment in 7 days for a wait and see what happens. If a tear occurred, he would have to laser the eye to save my retina and my sight. I don't have problems like this, I am healthy -I thought. What am I doing new that caused this or is causing this? Vascepa...stopped taking it and 4 days later, noticed that the flashes were a lot less and no pressure to my eye. I have stopped taking Vascepa and started taking regular fish oil....”

New Heart January 24, 2018

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I am 39 yrs old and have had triglyceride and cholesterol problems since my 20's. I tried multiple statins and experienced muscle pain side effects with them all. One year ago I was prescribed vescepa with lipitor (my 3rd try). I now have no side effects of lipitor and my triglycerides are much lower as well as my cholesterol. After about 6 months I started experiencing symptoms of low blood pressure. I have been on blood pressure medication for over 15 yrs due to high BP. What I found is that I no longer needed it BP meds to keep my BP at 120/80 or less and I can only attribute the change to the vescepa and lipitor combo because my shiftwork lifestyle hasn't changed as well as my other bad habits of eating.”

Seahorsey33 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2021

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “Vascepa had no effect whatsoever on my triglycerides. Super expensive and not efficient. Nothing seems to work for me to lower my cholesterol or triglycerides. Everything else causes terrible side effects. This one didn't, but did nothing good either, except costing me an arm and a leg”

Mollz November 2, 2016

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “6 weeks of constant bathroom use, oily skin that cause clogged glands in my eyes, terrible body stiffness and aches..no energy, fatigue... But HEY it did lower my triglycerides from 231 to 230--all while raising my total cholesterol 21 points, lowering my hdl by 2 points, and raising my ldl by 23 points. Also raised my blood sugar a bit too. So in summary in 6 weeks of suffering just to be in worst health. I would give this medication a 0 if I could”

Arby · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “On Vascepa 1 month, Dr wanted to see if it lowered my LDL. However, my triglycerides are very normal (<100), so not sure if this is really the right drug for me. Too soon to say if any benefit. My only comment is on the price. The best I can do is $198 per month (4 gm/day). I am going to split Vascepa with a 1000mg pure EPA product from GNC, at 1/3 the cost.”

MS Stinks · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2015

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I was recently prescribed Vascepa for HIGH Triglycerides. I have been highly impressed with it's ability to stop inflammation and pain from my Multiple Sclerosis. I am eagerly waiting to see how well Vascepa lowers my Triglycerides at tje next visit doctor visit.. This medicine is great and minus the issues associated with DHA. Meaning no A-Fib or Palpitations and Tachycardia. As pure as pure is and well well worth the money! Vascepa is a wonder drug. Thank You Amarin Pharmaceuticals.”

Duckstab · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 3, 2018

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I have never seen medication manufactured as poorly as this one. The capsules keep popping in the bottle, and the EPA oil gets all over everything. When I take the gelcaps out, I have to wipe the good one off one by one, then try to get the fishy smell off my hands -- which won't come off with just soap and water. Usually I have to rub white vinegar into my hands, and sometimes more than once. That smell turns my stomach -- it's like rancid fish. Moreover, Express Scripts won't take the medication back after 60 days -- even though they fill the prescription for 90 days. On top of all that, I don't think Vascepa has done my triglycerides much good. And that's not even taking into consideration all the side effects people describe here. I don't see how this is any better than a good fish oil supplement, which is only a fraction of the cost -- and I've never had fish oil gelcaps pop in the bottle. Going to ask my doctor to take me off this garbage next time I see him.”

Jidge · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2018

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “Started with 1 gram twice daily. After week took 2 Gram twice daily. After 6 weeks triglycerides dropped from 950 to 625. Meantime my right eye was troubling me from macular degeneration. Got two treatments. Trouble reading. Also experienced right arm muscle pain weakness. Couldn’t lift it straight out. After few weeks I stopped Vacepa. Eye got much better. Arm somewhat better. Still waiting for arm to resume normalcy. Possible my eye Vitamin added to problem.”

LL · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2020

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I was started on vascepa to help high triglycerides and to raise HDL. Was not consistently taking them. Twice a day because they were big pills and one time I had a mild bad fish taste. Had been on them for about 3 months and noticed heart irregularity, lightheaded for brief moments. Wore a monitor and it showed SVT, PAT,s and poss short bout of A-Fib . Mentioned to my cardiologist that my newest med was vascepa but he did not think anything of it. So. Two ER visits later, I looked vascepa up and saw that a small percentage of patients had these side effects. I stopped taking them on my own and messaged my doctor that I stopped. I now am taking metoprolol small dose. My question is. Will these heart symptoms go away or is this now a permanent problem.”

M · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2020

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I have always had high triglycerides on annual physicals. IMMEDIATELY lowered after taking Vascepa, without changing diet. Have before and after blood tests. I've been on for about 5 months with no side effects. I also take 10mg atorvastatin, which I've been on for 15 years.”

N40k · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 8, 2016

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “Vascepa since 4/1/2013, 79 years old, T1 D since 1957. Other meds=40 mg/day Zocor>20yrs; Insulin. HbA1c =6.5; FBG=111 mg/dL. Total Cholesterol=144 mg/dL; TGCs=63 mg/dL; HDL=61 mg/dL; VLDL=13 mg/dL; LDL-C=70 mg/dL; C-reactive protein=2.2 mg/dL; APO B=60mg/dL; Lp-PLA2=216; EPA=7.0%;AA=5.3%; EPA/AA ratio=1.3; DHA=2.1%; O-6/O-3 ratio=1.8; O-3(EPA DHA) Index=9.1%, optimal>3.2%. No side effects known; no aches; DES(dry eye) disappeared within 3-4 days 1st dose; walking speed is better, feel more flexible. Vascepa is easy to use; PCP[I.M.] describes my health as excellent, and that Advanced CV risk parameters=excellent profile and optimally suppressed.”

HighTry3 July 19, 2015

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I've been on Vascepa (2 pills daily) for about 7 months now. I went from 475 to 625 in three months. I don't know how my try spiked. Now I have stomach pain along with knee and back pain. I had back surgery 4 years ago unrelated to taking the drug obviously. However I do have some stomach pain when laying on my belly.”

Margie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2020

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “Took Vascepa for 3 months. Had blood work done before starting and after 3 months. My triglycerides dropped 4 points. It's not working so I'm going to stop it and save $200 a month. No side effects.”

Sweet · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 22, 2019

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “Vascepa is not doing much for my triglyceride levels yet, but once I lower my sugar intake I think it will help. It has done wonders for my mental health. Less negative thoughts, better attitude. I do think it is causing some type of skin condition. I am prone to a type of condition known as melei, not sure of spelling, it’s gotten so bad I’m going to stop the medicine for a while and see what happens. Otherwise I highly recommend it for slight depression.”

JK · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 9, 2018

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I've been taking Vascepa for high Triglycerides for about 2 years now. After my first year, I had some joint pains in my left arm but didn't attribute it to Vascepa because I'd been on it for a year already. I spent about 2 month in physical therapy and am all better now, and am still currently on Vascepa. Amarin's website does say that joint pain is a side effect of Vascepa. My Triglyceridemia levels were at about 750 when I was prescribed, and now it's about 500 so I think that it has helped me lower my Trig level although I haven't had a blood test done in about 8 months so I'm not sure what it is currently but I'm told that I might need to take Vascepa indefinitely so that's that. I am also taking phenophribrate but my doctor has said that Vascepa is a better option than phenophribrate because it's a natural fish oil but I have read that Vascepa is really bad for the environment though.”

RobW# May 25, 2017

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “Triglycerides 515, so doctor put me on Vascepa because I was concerned about muscle weakness with statin rx use. Took Vascepa for one month and I have constant generalized joint pain. I have arthritis, but the pain was manageable until I took Vascepa. I am not taking it anymore. Plus Medicare will not cover it and even with the Vascepa drug discount program it cost me $74 for a one month supply of 1gram twice a day.”

titi · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2021

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “I'm taking vascepa to lower levels of triglycerides, 2 milligrams a day, after a few days develop small rash in face and also swelling under my big toes. I called cardiologist said it's not gout ,but recommended I stopped taking it and consult with primary doctor. So now I have a six month supply that I paid $308 for it and it might be useless to me. Mind you that's with insurance without insurance $1,174 not cheap. As yo can imagine not happy about the situation.”

vin · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2018

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I think this drug thins your blood. After I started taking it, I had constant bleeding on my sclera of the eye. I didn't realize it was the medicine at first until I looked up the side effects. My knees also hurt.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2017

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “I went to see a physician at a clinic for sleep apnea, During this visit he placed a prescription for vascepa in my paperwork. He never even discussed it with me. He never did any blood work on me and I wondered how he knew what my triglyceride were. Long story, short. After filling the script and reading the brochure I figured that it was simply like taking a vitamin . No harm done, right? Wrong. After taking this for about three weeks I started having terrible backaches. I could barely walk, turn etc.I told the doctors nurse that I thought that it was the Vascepa and she said that was impossible she accused me of using abusive language and hung up the phone on me. This was a horrible experience. 1.Severe backache 2.terrible staff.”

jlmh67456 · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2017

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “Have only taken now for 3 weeks. Thus far; I can't say I've noticed any side effects other than I swear my skin is softer. I was put on low-carb diet; less than 100 grams daily in attempt to lower triglycerides. I had started a regular walking program of at least 5 miles daily. My HDL's had increased 10 points in 6 months; my LDL & VLDL went down; cholesterol dropped a few points. I had even lost 4 pounds but my triglycerides almost doubled to 273! She asked me at that point, "eating carbs by chance?" :| who me??? yes, I'm a bread lover......(sigh). So even though I'm not needing to lose but maybe 5 lbs; my triglyceride number has got to improve! I'll re-rate this script when she re-does my blood work in October 2017.”

KMW · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2020

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: “After having to do some back and forth with my insurance company, they finally approved Vascepa because I couldn't afford it otherwise. I've been taking just 2 pills once a day for about 6-7 weeks. I had blood work done in July and then again a couple weeks ago and my triglycerides have dropped from 245-179. I don't remember the last time my number was that low. I don't have any other side effects, good or bad, but I'm glad my numbers are dropping. This may help me get off 2 other meds I'm on.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2019

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “Lowered triglycerides and plaque. No side effects.”

barry · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2019

For Hypertriglyceridemia: “Vascepa Raised my wife's liver enzymes through the roof !”