User Reviews for Guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine

Also known as: Abletex-PSE, Aldex GS, Altarussin PE, Ambi 60/1000, Ambi 60/580, Ambi 80/780, Ambifed, Ambifed-G, Ami-Tex PSE, Anatuss LA, Aquatab D Dose Pack, Biotuss PE, Coldmist, Coldmist Jr, Coldmist LA, ...show all 145 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine.

Guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 403 medications used in the treatment of Cough and Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine to treat Cough and Nasal Congestion

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Make sure to take it early in the morning when you have just wake up because you will be awake for hours. Do not take it before sleep like I did, unless you want to stay awake until 6 am following day. Other than that it works"

Anonymous23., July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Thank goodness for Mucinex D! One week ago, I woke up with severe nasal congestion and difficulty breathing which made getting any decent sleep impossible... I tried the other medications with minimal relief, so I decided to take a 600mg prescribed dose of Mucinex D (one pill) and was extremely pleased with how quickly it worked... I drank 16oz of water then fell asleep with the ability to breathe easier... Because my nasal problems have been recurring as soon as the medication wears off, I have resorted to taking a pill to get me through the day and again at night ever since... The taste is unpleasant, but not enough to avoid taking it, because so far, it is the only medication that provides optimum relief with clear nasal passages!"

LynnSATX July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Had congestion for 3 weeks. Doctor gave me anti-biotics and suggested mucinex D twice a day. First two days seemed to help congestion somewhat but was no appetite and somewhat anxious. Third night took at 11pm and slept about 2 hours. Woke up with heart racing and anxiety. I couldn't sleep and was pacing. Effects starting to wear off at 10am. Wish I had seen this site first."

Mike michigan (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "This is my second day of using Mucinex. At this point I'm not sure why my doctor recommended it. I never did have congestion, just a sore throat. Anyway, I'll not take it anymore, it's 1:00 a.m., I'm totally exhausted and cannot sleep. Last night it was 12:30 or so, and I finally went to sleep. I'm use to falling asleep around 9:30. I do take sleeping pills and I just took my dose of those, hope it puts me to sleep, otherwise, how do you make it through the next day? I just read the label, guess I missed before that it can cause sleeplessness, or I would't have taken it at all. It's expensive and another drug going in the garbage can!"

Unhappiness April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Followed directions & took 2x Mucinex D 1200mg at 930PM. Decided to pick this up after bring sick & out of work for 5 days. I was really tired & dozed off at 1130PM. Its 330AM, I can't sleep... I'm wide awake with an extra dry mouth, swelling of the tongue, slight nausea, tossing & turning (anxiety?), tingling/weakness in my arms. Most of my cold symptoms are gone(amazingly!), but I can't shake these side effects right now & am wondering exactly when I'll be able to sleep! I would NOT recommend taking this at night time, & if you are going to try this stuff to start with just 1 pill."

Momokong March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Took this about 10 minutes ago. At 1:25ishpm on Feb 26 2017. Will let you know how it works later."

dominoemery (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I took this around 9 pm. I fell right to sleep with no problems. It did not keep me up at all. I woke up and blew my nose, the medicine had worked. It cleared my nose after I blew it. However, the taste is disgusting and I still have a cough."

Kei tai February 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I can't seem to see the same results as others. I've been to the urgent care in my area recently for bronchitis and after giving me a nebulizer treatment they sent me on my way with suggestion of Mucinex. Man. This stuff works so well, I haven't seen any issues with sleep or feeling jittery. The package does mention to take with a full glass of water, and to stay hydrated. Maybe that's something the others are missing?"

Peter L (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Cleared up my congestion. I too didn't realize it would leave me sleepless. I am sick and want to sleep so badly but can not. It's 5 am. I have slept 2 hours in the last 24 hours due to this medication. I feel I should be sleeping off this cold and can not. I agree with the other commenters. Take this only in the morning!!!"

Jennnnnnnnnn February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I went to Urgent Care Center today for a sinus infection. I got a prescription and was told to take mucinex D. I took it a couple of hours ago and I've been feeling weird ever since. It's ineffective so far and I feel kind of dizzy. I want it out of my system NOW."

Pat2468 (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "This stuff is torture! I was coughing a little and had some allergy congestion the pharmacist recommend this stuff. Its 2:00 AM I took two pills at 3 in the afternoon and I have been coughing my lungs out ever since. I'm literally coughing so hard I'm sweating and have a headache I feel edgy and there is no hope of getting sleep tonight."

Tired in Colorado February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Would not recommend. A 20 year old college student who desperately needs sleep but hasn't because the label on the box forgot to highlight and bold "You won't be able to sleep!!" Took two pills at 10:30am and about an hour later I was very jittery, paranoid, anxious and my heart rate was going insane. It's now 10 pm and my eyes are still dilated and I still feel weird. Would not recommend the whole dosage, or just stay clear in general."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D Maximum Strength (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Took mucinex D for 7 days have had trouble sleeping but it worked awesome for my cough and congestion. I was told by Doctor I had influenza which is no fun at all. Thought I was dieing never been so sick."

Iroclady February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D Maximum Strength (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "The label states 12 hour relief. It worked great for the 1st 4 1/2 hrs. Now I can't take another dose for 12 hrs? Seriously? So what am I suppose to do? Over priced product that doesn't seem to work. Will not be buying this again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I currently have the flu and am taking tamiflu. My congestion and cough had me worried I would not be able to sleep so I checked to make sure there wouldn't be any issues taking the mucinex d while also taking tamiflu. I took the mucinex d at 8pm and immediately felt like I couldn't go to sleep. I sat up on the phone for 2 hours listening to a discussion trying to go to sleep. I finally did to only wake up at 2 and be in the same situation I was in before. Unable to go to sleep wide awake. Rest of the number one thing I need right now and I'm not getting it because of the mucinex d. I'm very unhappy with the drug."

Unhappy customer February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "If I could rate this a "0", I would. I took this Mucinex for the first time in the evening and woke up with what I believe to be "polyps" in my nose. There are several hard bumps in my nose...the kind that if you pick at them, they will bleed. I am appalled at the results and not sure where to turn next."

rchristensen1291 February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D Maximum Strength (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Serious relief from an aggravating cough that had me physically drained and in pain. But this is day two and 2:12am and yesterday I had maybe two hours accumulated sleep. Cannot switch my brain off and I desperately want to sleep!!! I suggest a day break between where you use DayQuil/NyQuil unless you want to experience what seems to me a crack addict feels."

TawnyaG February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I take mucinex D 600/60mg every morning for chronic sinus issues. It has helped considerably with sinus headaches. I would not recommend taking the 1200 mg strength, nor should you take 2 of the 600 unless it is EARLY in the morning... and only for a couple of days. The 1200mg strength has 120mg of long acting sudafed... that is too much from my experience. DO NOT take this med after say 12 noon. It will keep you awake for at least 8 hrs! ALSO if you take this long term... it is not something you want to quit suddenly... wean yourself off to prevent irritability, etc."

alchemycreative January 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Have taken Mucinex D several times over the past few years with congestion. It is the best thing out there to make me feel better during the day but I only take it in the morning with food. Even then I usually don't sleep great at night but do not experience the insomnia others are talking about"

sluggo37 January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "After having a sinus infection for three days, I went to the immediate care center: they recommended Mucinex D and a saline nasal wash. I felt relief from the two combined methods that I started that morning. However, after taking the second dose of Mucinex D that night, I found that I only had a couple of hours of interrupted sleep. Now on my second night, while the congestion is much better, I am still not sleepy - even after hardly sleeping the night before. I checked the Internet and found this site - apparently this is not uncommon. Tomorrow, I will only use it during the day and rely on the saline nasal wash more."

Brooklyn Gal in Chicagoland (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Avoid. I feel like I am on speed. In fact, I told this to my husband the night before, when I couldn't sleep. 9am, & I am on currently on night 3 of sleeplessness, as I only now thought to look up side effects. I am livid. Who on Earth would want to be unable to sleep when sick?!? I'm mad my husband didn't buy the medicine I requested! He actually told the pharmacist my symptoms, and this is what was recommended. It hasn't done ANYTHING except kept me awake for 3 days. I've been congested with terrible sinus headaches. This medication hasn't touched it... As a result, I still have this sinus congestion with terrible pressure headaches, only now I also feel extremely anxious, ALERT, and my eyeballs feel as though they're going to shrivel up."

JustWantSLEEP December 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I took mucinex the capsule as directions state to help me with severe congestion the night before Thanksgiving. After reading the reviews I must say it had the opposite effect on me, it made me tired. The best way for me to describe it was I get like I took a muscle relaxer but not as strong. Just made me feel slightly weak and needed to sleep. Although, definitely helped relieve my symptoms from being congested such as my headache and cough. So for my sake I would want to take it at night and definitely not have to drive anywhere. I am not one to take medication or any drugs for that matter."

Shawa1 November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I used Mucinex D last year taking the recommended 1 pill every 12 hours and was fine, it helped so much with my horrible sinus infection. I'm on day 3 of some nasty congestion and decided to take Mucinex D last night at 9 pm...DO NOT TAKE THIS IN THE AFTERNOON OR NIGHT IF YOU WANT TO SLEEP. I laid down at 10 pm because I felt like crap...I laid in bed until 2 am and finally fell asleep for a whole 3 hours. I do like this product, but I would just recommend taking it right away in the morning since it lasts 12 hours."

AlainaMichelle2711 November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Took first dose at 8:30 am and went to work. Definitely cleared me up so, as directed, took another dose at 12 hours (8:30 pm) and went to bed feeling tired. As medication took effect, I became restless and tossed and turned and found myself unable to sleep. 1:30 am and I'm learning of my mistake. Packaging should definitely be updated to disclose this fact. Works great to clear sinuses but I won't take again at night due to side effect of insomnia"

Kurt S. November 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Mucinex works allows your cough to loosen up all the mucus you feel weighing your chest down. I was congested for a good month and on antibiotics, used over the counter drugs and nothing was working for me. I decided to use Mucinex at this point I had nothing to lose. Within the first couple hours this medication allowed the mucus to cough up easier. The down fall is don't take it at night as it will keep you up and still continue to increase your cough in order for you to get rid of your congestion! My advice take it early in the morning with breakfast, and if you can't sleep drink lots of fluid so you can get it out of your system faster."

Tina Teeah (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016