User Reviews for Guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine

Also known as: Abletex-PSE, Aldex GS, Altarussin PE, Ambi 60/1000, Ambi 60/580, Ambi 80/780, Ambifed, Ambifed-G, Ami-Tex PSE, Anatuss LA, Aquatab D Dose Pack, Biotuss PE, Coldmist, Coldmist Jr, Coldmist LA, ...show all 145 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine.

Guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 407 medications used in the treatment of Cough and Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine to treat Cough and Nasal Congestion

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I take mucinex D 600/60mg every morning for chronic sinus issues. It has helped considerably with sinus headaches. I would not recommend taking the 1200 mg strength, nor should you take 2 of the 600 unless it is EARLY in the morning... and only for a couple of days. The 1200mg strength has 120mg of long acting sudafed... that is too much from my experience. DO NOT take this med after say 12 noon. It will keep you awake for at least 8 hrs! ALSO if you take this long term... it is not something you want to quit suddenly... wean yourself off to prevent irritability, etc."

alchemycreative January 19, 2017

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Have taken Mucinex D several times over the past few years with congestion. It is the best thing out there to make me feel better during the day but I only take it in the morning with food. Even then I usually don't sleep great at night but do not experience the insomnia others are talking about"

sluggo37 January 5, 2017

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "After having a sinus infection for three days, I went to the immediate care center: they recommended Mucinex D and a saline nasal wash. I felt relief from the two combined methods that I started that morning. However, after taking the second dose of Mucinex D that night, I found that I only had a couple of hours of interrupted sleep. Now on my second night, while the congestion is much better, I am still not sleepy - even after hardly sleeping the night before. I checked the Internet and found this site - apparently this is not uncommon. Tomorrow, I will only use it during the day and rely on the saline nasal wash more."

Brooklyn Gal in Chicagoland (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Avoid. I feel like I am on speed. In fact, I told this to my husband the night before, when I couldn't sleep. 9am, & I am on currently on night 3 of sleeplessness, as I only now thought to look up side effects. I am livid. Who on Earth would want to be unable to sleep when sick?!? I'm mad my husband didn't buy the medicine I requested! He actually told the pharmacist my symptoms, and this is what was recommended. It hasn't done ANYTHING except kept me awake for 3 days. I've been congested with terrible sinus headaches. This medication hasn't touched it... As a result, I still have this sinus congestion with terrible pressure headaches, only now I also feel extremely anxious, ALERT, and my eyeballs feel as though they're going to shrivel up."

JustWantSLEEP December 16, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I took mucinex the capsule as directions state to help me with severe congestion the night before Thanksgiving. After reading the reviews I must say it had the opposite effect on me, it made me tired. The best way for me to describe it was I get like I took a muscle relaxer but not as strong. Just made me feel slightly weak and needed to sleep. Although, definitely helped relieve my symptoms from being congested such as my headache and cough. So for my sake I would want to take it at night and definitely not have to drive anywhere. I am not one to take medication or any drugs for that matter."

Shawa1 November 24, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I used Mucinex D last year taking the recommended 1 pill every 12 hours and was fine, it helped so much with my horrible sinus infection. I'm on day 3 of some nasty congestion and decided to take Mucinex D last night at 9 pm...DO NOT TAKE THIS IN THE AFTERNOON OR NIGHT IF YOU WANT TO SLEEP. I laid down at 10 pm because I felt like crap...I laid in bed until 2 am and finally fell asleep for a whole 3 hours. I do like this product, but I would just recommend taking it right away in the morning since it lasts 12 hours."

AlainaMichelle2711 November 16, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Took first dose at 8:30 am and went to work. Definitely cleared me up so, as directed, took another dose at 12 hours (8:30 pm) and went to bed feeling tired. As medication took effect, I became restless and tossed and turned and found myself unable to sleep. 1:30 am and I'm learning of my mistake. Packaging should definitely be updated to disclose this fact. Works great to clear sinuses but I won't take again at night due to side effect of insomnia"

Kurt S. November 15, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Mucinex works allows your cough to loosen up all the mucus you feel weighing your chest down. I was congested for a good month and on antibiotics, used over the counter drugs and nothing was working for me. I decided to use Mucinex at this point I had nothing to lose. Within the first couple hours this medication allowed the mucus to cough up easier. The down fall is don't take it at night as it will keep you up and still continue to increase your cough in order for you to get rid of your congestion! My advice take it early in the morning with breakfast, and if you can't sleep drink lots of fluid so you can get it out of your system faster."

Tina Teeah (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "First time ever taking Mucinex D! Took two pills as directed and it did clear some sinus pressure during the day. Following directions 12 hours later and took my two pills dose at 10pm. I've been clear in my sinus, but tossing and turning all night! It is now 2:05am! insomnia was a side effect so did not read about until now, since I can't sleep! So, yes, Mucinex D does work, just do not take at night as directed. Unless you need to be awake while others sleep, in which case, this will definitely keep you up all alert!"

Sleepy Mom (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Took this about three days into a pretty bad cold to relieve congestion especially in my sinuses...worked a charm! Took the adult dose around noon that day. didn't have the same jittery side effects some are reporting and was, thankfully, able to take a nap that afternoon with the sinus relief it provided. my mom on the other hand says she can't take it after noon or else she won't sleep all night, so I understand your pain! All in all, worked great for me but understand that some people (for whatever reason) might have trouble sleeping if taken too late in the day"

sickandworking (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2016

Mucinex D Maximum Strength (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I felt like I was going to die.. I took the recommended doses for 12 and over and I almost felt like I was going to die I was so dizzy throwing up for 2 hours never again will I take this medicine. Check these reviews."

Helpphlem (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "It's 3 am, and I'm wide awake. Took Mucinex at 1 pm this afternoon which helped relieve some of the pressure in my head caused by congestion. Took NyQuil at 9:30 pm, hoping it would knock me out like it usually does but no such luck. I only took 1 pill at 1 pm yesterday, but I guess since it's a 12 hour medicine and I'm a small female (103 lbs, 5'4"), it's still affecting me a lot. My husband swears Mucinex made him feel better but I say no thank you. I'd rather blow my nose all day and be able to sleep at night. Will not be taking again."

Shelly816 (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I disagree with the other reviews, two doses and I'm feeling a bit better with the antibiotics. Only downfall so far. Nausea!"

Bobbie Jo, RMA (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Took this with food. Made me feel very lethargic and jittery at the same time. My appetite is gone. My congestion is cleared but I can't wait for this medication to wear off. My heart rate speeds up as well. Dry mouth, yuck."

Amber2885 September 20, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Took this for relief as I looked and sounded pretty bad. I was keeping everyone up with my coughing and sneezing. I don't take medicine but I caved in and grabbed this. I guess from hours of exhaustion I passed out but woke up 2 hours later just wide awake! I couldn't go back to sleep, which made me so incredibly mad. I'm already an anxious person who is paranoid about everything. So this didn't help. It helped my cough calm down but the next day it was worse. I was able to sleep without feeling like my nose was plugged up!"

Anonymous September 18, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I tend to get a sinus infection at least twice a year. The only thing that helps me during this time is Musinex D. However, after the first time taking it and not being able to sleep I decided to take one pill every 6 hours instead of 2 pills every 12. Taking it this way allows me to breath and still be able to sleep at night. For me it is a miracle worker."

Liz77 September 9, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Can't help but laugh reading everyone's responses here.. Yes I guess the mucinex helped my congestion maybe 20% more than if I hadn't taken it... BUT I'm wide awake as my mind is racing like I'm on crack .. Paranoid.. Can't sleep a wink. Never done crack but if I had to guess side effects would be similar.. Bummer . Just another confirmation that all natural and a few days longer is better than watching the sun come up while random paranoia thoughts race through the brain. Wish I read the fine print before I starting dosing"

Clarence j August 24, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Definitely helped relieve my sinus pressure and loosen up mucous. I did feel nauseous after taking mucinex D. It's 2:18am and I'm still up so I decided to google insomnia and mucinex D.. And here I am. At least my congestion improved."

Vanessa v93 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2016

Mucinex D Maximum Strength (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I took the liquid version at work one day to help with my cough and it worked better than I thought and faster than the pills. Although, I was sleepy all day and I don't recall reading the words "may cause drowsiness" on the bottle. Perhaps they were there and I did no see them."

Alyssa M. July 20, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): " I think I much like the other people on this site who are up at 4 am still trying to go to sleep. It didn't help my cough at all. It actually made it worse. I've had really bad anxiety all night and probably won't sleep for the next 5 days."

Don't take it (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

Mucinex D Maximum Strength (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "I hardly ever get sick and I been working out of town and I started having sinus and breathing problems I went to a Walgreens and the pharmacist recommend this and told me about side effects and you need to drink alot and it does mess with your sleep but I don't feel tired either I'd rather feel better and live with a couple days of minor side effects than to be miserable"

I'll use again (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Awful as I'm writing this. Its 1:30 am and I am up, and I can't sleep, and it made me cough so much more!!! I have a baby and now that I can't sleep because of this medicine I'm going to be miserable tomorrow!! I Don't recommended to anyone!"

Babyboymilan June 24, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Took my first dose Mucinex D at 1030am yesterday took a small nap around 1230 for about half hour and have been awake since its now 8am the next day, yes I finally feel relief in my sinuses, I no longer look like a puffy faced Darth Vader sounded and its cleaning up a ton of congestion but sleeping is not in my favor.. ugh but I'm glad it's clearing things up for me.. just need some sleep"

Heidikins (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "Musinex D worked great to clear up my chest congestion that two rounds of antibiotics didn't touch. But I didn't know that a side effect was insomnia. So, although I started feeling better soon after taking it last night, I was well aware of how good I was feeling right on up to 3am! I asked the pharmacist at our local store if Musinex D could have caused the insomnia, and she said yes, and not to take it at night."

EvannnaM April 29, 2016

Mucinex D (guaifenesin / pseudoephedrine): "It dehydrates you like crazy and I could not drink enough liquids. My throat got so dry it caused me to cough uncontrollably. For the past 3 nights I could not sleep... Even took 10mg of Ambien which usually knocks me out cold.... But it didn't work. I just found this site and learned that my insomnia is caused by mucinex d. Not worth the lack of sleep!"

Helped clear sinuses but.... March 31, 2016