User Reviews for Emgality to treat Cluster Headaches

Emgality has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings for the treatment of Cluster Headaches. 50% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Emgality Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Cluster Headaches.

Reviews for Emgality

Evamcli · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 11, 2021

“Chronic cluster headaches, emgality is the only that has helped some. I still have them but only 3-5 a day and only last about an hour each now”

gkwalthew · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2021

“10/10 I noticed improvement right away and had been suffering from cluster headaches and migraines for years which were worsening. I had tried Sumatriptan, Verapamil and this has brought me the most relief by far. Surprised by all the negative reviews, I would definitely recommend it.”

skirnir June 18, 2021

“I have migraines, cluster headaches, and trigeminal cephalalgias that were probably induced while a soldier, as they started shortly after that. In addition to Emgality I also take carbamazepine and sertraline. I have also tried virtually every treatment over the past 50 years, to no avail. After the loading dose (in my case 3 injections), there was little change for about two weeks. By the third week the pattern started to change and the migraines disappeared and the cluster headache moved from 4 am to an unpredictable pattern. By the fourth week I actually went three days with no major headache. After my several monthly booster injections, I noted major improvement so that now I go almost a week without a major cluster or migraine headaches. I do have a constant feeling of being slightly 'high' but that isn't bothersome. No problems with allergy, constipation or the like. For me it is not a cure-all, but improvement is so great that it is worth the time, cost, etc. Keep a log book too”

Anonymous April 12, 2020

“I want to thank everyone for their reviews. I now know I will never take emgality again. I have had about 5 months of stomach problems, had ever test done and the doctors found nothing. I was told it wasn't the shot so I had my doctor start me back on Emgality. Well holy moly, my stomach is hurting again, constipated, joints hurting, chest hurts and on top of that I'm depressed. I was like what is going on. Anxiety and moody, sad about nothing. What really makes me mad is all these reviews and the company say NO SIDE EFFECTS. Now I have to wait 5 months for it to leave my body”

Armiewifee · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 23, 2020

“I have been on Emgality for a year now and have had little to no change in Cluster headaches. I also have had GI issues, weight gain and muscle aches on side of shot. From what I have read about this drug you need more than one shot at onset of Cluster. I can not possibly imagine doing up to 3 injections during the beginning of a Cluster. Unfortunately, I didn’t receive very good results. Good luck and God Bless.”

Ron · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2020

“This Emgality has been a life saver. Cluster headaches for 12 years. Cycles on 3 months off 4 months like clock work. I started emgality 3 months ago at the start of a cycle and have only had a handful of headaches that my sumatriptan injections took care of. Not bad considering I average 6 or 7 a day. The best summer of my life. Minimal side effects hallucinations just shadows. Month 1 and 2 felt sick at times but who cares I have my life back”

Alisha · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 24, 2020

“I've had been having cluster headaches for 15 years with episodes getting closer and closer together. I am now a year free of them and I am nothing but grateful for Emgality. I take three 100mg shots a month and it is a total Godsend.”

Mac October 18, 2020

“I’ve been a chronic migraine sufferer for 20+ years with 15+ headaches per month. I’ve tried numerous meds & currently take topamax & amitryptiline layered with maxalt for pain. My doctor put me on Emgality in June of 2020, it seemed to reduce my headaches. I saw him in September, I mentioned this odd smell but he didn’t seem worried. I’ve always been anxious but did have a few panic attacks, just brushed those off. I’ve been to an ENT and my primary who both said I’m healthy. After my October injection I noticed the smell became worse, I started having problems with my taste, & everything became really sour. I’ve decided to call my neurologist & tell him I won’t continue with this drug. The reduction in migraines doesn’t out weigh the side effects I’m having. BTW: I’ve looked everywhere and no one has posted anything about dry mouth, altered taste, or change in smell. I may be the minority.”

Male53 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2020

“12 year chronic cluster headaches. Tried emgality at 100mg, then 300mg/month. Side effects were subtle at first but after the 300mg dose it became clear that the drug was causing dysphoria and discomfort throughout my body. Also, chest pain and various body aches, trouble keeping warm, skin and body generally felt "off" and uncomfortable. Was clear that it became bad after the large doses. It resolved somewhat before my second large dose so I tried it again. Big mistake and I am waiting for the drug to leave my system. Felt like I lost 2 months in a dysphoric fog. It changed the way the cluster headaches felt - they lasted longer but not quite as sharp. Not worth it and please be aware of the subtle ways this might be making you feel bad.”

Justducky · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2020

“I had loading dose of Emgality on 11/13/2019. Second dose on 12/13/2019. On 12/15/2019 I was completely bent in half in stomach pain. I have been to Primary doc to sent me to GYN, back to primary, then to Neurologist who basically told me NOT the Emgality then to Gastro doc. Cannot begin to tell you the TESTS they have put me thru because according to docs, "cannot be the emgality". They won't even read this site because LILLY says no reaction like this. Almost eight weeks later still have severe stomach pains. Never did third dose that was due in January.”

SThomas · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2019

“I have had cluster migraines, migraines, tension headaches & headaches before I got out of the Army, 19 years ago. I was taking Topiramate for 5 years & got off of it when I got married. The headaches came back again & I was sent to a neurologist who put me on Emgality. Since I started this I have super constipated....(got excited that my work was having to remodel the employee restroom to make it wheelchair accessible which also means they they’re putting in rails....cannot tell you how much they help when you’re constipated!!!) I have also been having serious mood swings & some anxiety. The side effects do not outweigh the risks. I’d rather have headaches than extra weight gain”

Paul · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2020

“I was in a terrible cluster with multiple headaches per day in the week before I finally got the insurance approval. Because I am on Medicare with Humana I could not get any help from the manufacturer because federal law will not allow it. I had three headaches the night/morning after I picked up the prescription at one, two and three so on Saturday morning I gave myself he shots and the headaches stopped immediately. However, I felt horrible for the next week and had a faint rash on my back. The fatigue passed and I recovered and am taking my second injection this week because I can tell I am having symptom of a resumption of the cluster. Usually, they pass until later in the summer so maybe this one will be enough for now.”

Pinkie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2020

“I've dealt with migraines for 40 years & have tried just about every drug/remedy heard of. Recently they transitioned into cluster headaches. When I took my first dose of Emgality I was in a month-long series of headaches, having them daily. Emgality has been a godsend. After 5 months I may have had 3-4 very minor headaches that went away with Tylenol. I have had zero negative side affects. My insurance covered the drug & Emgality picked up the co-pay so I get it for free. The only thing I'm sad about is that this wasn't available 40 years ago!”

Rob999 · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

“I had the initial loading dose which were 2 self administered SubQ injections into the fatty part of my lower abdominal area while at the doctors office this Monday. There was an initial slight stinging that went away in a minute. I had a headache battle going on in my head for a couple of hours afterwards that felt like a light switch going on & off.. I usually take Imitrex daily for 17 years for daily/ headache /migraine/Clusters. I took a dose of Imitrex & haven't had a HA since 5 days now.”

Jay August 4, 2020

“I have suffered from Cluster Headaches for more about 10 years now. Nothing I've been prescribed for a preventative has ever worked. Only drug that does work is Sumatriptan which only would reduce pain once I already had a headache, not prevent a headache obviously. I would average 3-5 headaches a day for about a month during my cluster cycles. Those headaches would range from a 6/10 to a 9/10 on the pain scale. I've been on Emgailty now for a couple weeks and instantly received relief from my headaches. I now get one headache a day that is about a 2/10 - 3/10 that can either be suppressed with a couple Advil or half a Sumatriptan pill. I have never felt so free from my headaches. I haven't had any symptoms. My neurologist said constipation is huge and I also read hair loss was a big symptom (which initially scared me), but like I said, absolutely no symptoms.”

Rickster · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2021

“I have suffered a daily headache for over 45 years before being put on Emgality. Normally they were "background noise", a 3 out of 10, but periodically they would increase in pain until I was at a 10 out of 10 and had to take my migraine meds. Emgality stopped all of that. After a few weeks of the initial dose, I actually woke up pain free and only had a couple of days of headaches since. So far, I have been lucky, as the only side effects I have noticed was some weight gain, and the fact that this is the most painful injection I have ever taken in my life, and I have a very high tolerance for pain. To explain my rating, I would give Emgality, the drug, a 10 out of 10, but the injection system leaves much to be desired, a 3 out of 10 because it does work, but it must have been tested on Elephants and Rhino's or something. I will keep taking the meds for now, but the anxiety of actually taking the injection may make me reconsider in the future.”

Sickofmds · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2020

“4 month migraine now breaks up but when it hurts, it is unreal. I wouldn't dare go to urgent care as a I barely know my name, they'd lock me up for sure, talk about a headache. Neurologist says Emgality has no side effects other than allergy or site reaction. LIE.”

Bob203 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 7, 2020

“Although the medicine Emgality seems to work quite well, I do have long lasting itchiness and swelling along with redness at the injection site which lasts over a week.”

Learn more about Cluster Headaches