Do Emgality injections hurt?
Yes, Emgality injections may hurt. Pain at the injection site is one of the most common side effects reported with Emgality injections, and is reported in 18% of people. Other injection site reactions, such as redness, swelling, or itching around the injection site, are also common.
Some people appear to experience excessive amounts of pain with Emgality and other CGRP inhibitors, according to postings on blog sites. Comments include:
- The entire day that I know it's "shot day," I stress (Emgality)
- Emgality injections are honestly one of the most painful things I've ever felt. The nurse said it feels like a bee sting? Sure, maybe if the bee was made of lead, traveling 100mph, and PUNCHED you with its stinger. I'd rather have a migraine (Emgality)
- Administered the loading injections myself in my stomach. Very painful. Second month and third month were in the top and side of my thigh. Both just as painful, but at least they didn't bruise for a day like my stomach did. I take the injections out hours before to warm up. I purposely relax my muscles. Last time I had someone else push the injection for me (Emgality)
- I swear I'm not being a wimp about it. I've never had any problems before with flu shot, tetanus shot, drawing blood, etc. The idea of needles don't bother me. I did 3 sessions of botox without issues. It's the pain (Emgality)
- It was HORRIFICALLY painful the first 3 months I did it. Thigh, thigh, then arm, all were unreal painful... coming from the girl who falls asleep and takes naps during 6hr tattoo sessions. My neuro gave me a lidocaine ointment, which did not help one bit (Aimovig).
How can you make Emgality injections less painful?
Helpful tips to make Emgality injections less painful include:
- Taking Emgality out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before administering, to allow it to warm up to room temperature
- Placing an ice bag on the injection site for a few minutes before administering Emgality
- Not injecting Emgality into areas of skin that are bruised, red, hard, or covered with a rash
- Administering Emgality into the butt area, high up almost to the level of the hips
- Changing the area of skin you inject Emgality into each month.
- Emgality (galcanezumab) Revised 12/2019 Lilly https://www.drugs.com/pro/emgality.html
- User Reviews for Emgality to treat Migraine Prevention. Migraine Prevention Support Group https://www.drugs.com/comments/galcanezumab/emgality-for-migraine-prophylaxis.html
Related medical questions
- Does Emgality cause weight gain?
- How long does it take for Emgality to work?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of migraines?
- How does Emgality work?
- Does injecting Emgality cause a reaction?
- Emgality vs Aimovig - how do they compare?
- Ubrelvy vs Emgality: How do they compare for migraines?
- What is the cost of the migraine drug Ajovy?
- What type of drug is Ajovy?
- What type of drug is Emgality?
- Emgality Information for Consumers
- Emgality Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Emgality (detailed)
Related support groups
- Emgality (19 questions, 53 members)