User Reviews for Emgality to treat Migraine Prevention

Emgality has an average rating of 4.7 out of 10 from a total of 273 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention. 30% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Emgality Rating Summary

4.7/10 average rating

Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Emgality

Amconcerned · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2021

“My cousin received her 2nd Emgality injection Friday, June 19, 2021 and was rushed to the ER on Sunday, June 20, 2021, they have determined that she has suffered a stroke to the speech part of her brain in connection to Emgality. She is now hospitalized for the remaining of this week to determine what further damage has been caused.”

Renee · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2020

“Please use with caution. I was hospitalized for acute hepatitis from this medication Emgality. Liver enzymes close to 2,000. My neurologist refused to believe my initial complaints of nausea, dizziness and discolored urine was caused by emgality because they were not reported side effects and referred me to primary care doctor. Thankfully she was proactive and ordered blood work that showed the dangerously high enzyme levels. Was put in hospital for 2 days and since nothing changed but using this new medication in was concluded this was the cause. Take any side effects seriously especially with this being new. I believe side effects are hugely under reported.”

shannon September 23, 2020

“Emgality was a new med for me I had 2 doses injected. Within 24 hours I was sick as anything nauseated, SWEATING like I came out of the shower and hot constantly, tremors, difficulty breathing walking 8 feet, increased my blood pressure and pulse significantly, chest tightness, sore throat, sinuses stuffy then runny, body aches from my toes to my teeth, my toes and fingers go numb and cold, noted clinical weight gain of 5 lbs in 3 days and bloated in my stomach. In 24 hours to 4 days and still going. Neurologist noted my reactions as "unusual". fill out medwatch form for FDA safety reporting. Changing my neurologist. The doctor was so nice till I complained. I know my horrific migraines=pain+bed. Migraines barely under control is now migraines with 10 other issues I did not have months before or never all at once. Tested me for COVID and I was negative. They dismiss my reactions to this new med and push me away. The doctors take no accountability. I feel someone will die from these reactions in time.”

LJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 19, 2020

“I have been using for 8 months. I am a super healthy 50 year old that happens to suffer from migraines my whole adult life. Thought it was a wonder drug! Cut my migraines down 90% THEN I suddenly got terrible ringing in my ears and vertigo! Saw many Drs including many tests all said it’s not the shot. Please if anyone has any results like these share.”

Hamster Ovaries Medicine! READ · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2021

“Doctors, nurses, & paramedics did not know anything about this drug. They won't physically see anything wrong, because this is a central nervous system drug for the brain nerves. 8 months and I'm still suffering from life threatening adverse effects. You may experience more headaches after the 6 months has expired. Emgality "real name" Galcanezumab-gnlm, is derived from CHO cells (Chinese Hamster Ovaries cells). Emgality has fetal cells in this migraine injection. This is "recombinant DNA technology", look it up, and do your research. This is animal DNA technology medicine. They do not have anything to counteract this drug, and stays in the body for ages. If you have side effects from it they will treat you with prednisone steroids and antihistamine. I had several brain strokes. I had high elevated ALT Liver Enzymes in my blood. Stay away from these types of preventative injections.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2021

“I have had chronic daily migraines for 15 years, I’m 59 years old. I’ve tried almost everything, Aimovig worked , but could not take side effects. I also started having cluster headaches everyday for 2 Months. Started on Emgality did double dose to start and yes the injection hurts, burns for about 5 mins. I have not had a cluster headache since I took Emgality, and I’ve only had 5 migraines in Jan. I’ve been working thru side effects, does make you depressed, itchy and had some insomnia. I’ve been on it for 3 months, hoping the side effects will lessen. Hope this helps someone”

Notakaren March 12, 2021

“Was reluctant to start Emgality as I’ve tried so many methods that didn’t work for years. My migraines started at the age of 9. I’m 65 and have become stronger through the years tolerating the pain. But why should I? This is why. 1st injection was awesome. First time in years I could get things done without pain. 2nd injection worked 75% but still elated I could function. 3rd injection was 50% and I was disappointed as my headaches/migraines returned. I hesitated to take the 4th one but did anyway, hoping it would work. Within a few hours of injecting, I had an instant headache on my left side. I’m on my 21st straight day of a severe headache/migraine with no relief. I went to ER and they ruled out a mass or fluid. So, here I am, suffering worse than before I started the injections. I truly hope it starts getting better before the 30 days are up. If so, then it was the Emgality. I’ll keep you posted.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“I took Emgality February 1st. I took 1 single dose, as I am very sensitive to medications. The very next morning I suffered extreme anxiety, heart palpitations and nausea. My nausea become so bad I ended up dry heaving in the bathroom for about 30+ min. I am at day 21 and have had terrible anxiety, more than usual number of nightmares. Burning in my hands and forearms. I continue with the heart palpitations with seem to get better and then worse. Daily bouts of crying. My body is in constant fight or flight. The positive is I have not had a full blown migraine in 21 days, but a lesser dull headache that comes and goes and is often so subtle it is a non issue. For me, all of these side effects are not worth it. I'll take the migraines please. I would 100% not recomend this medication as the side effects are very intense and debilitating. If anyone has anything helpful to add about how they navigated through this, I would appreciate and welcome any help.”

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 1, 2020

“I’ve suffered with migraines since I was 11. I'm now 35. I averaged 3-4 migraines a week, have been on multiple preventatives, was on topamax for years, recently was on nortriptyline, but I’ve tried them all. I’ve been on emgality now for 4 months, I have no side effects, & average 1-2 migraines a month. This medication is a God send!!”

LW · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 3, 2020

“I have had migraines for the past 18 years. My doctor has tried everything. When Aimovig came available I tried that and of course no more migraines. Due to insurance not approving my doctor switched to Emgality. Experienced the same thing no migraines. But now after taking the shot for ages my body is just falling apart. My knees and joints ache everyday. I've gained weight and my eating habits have not changed! And of course my doctor assured me no side affects. I disagree totally! I will no longer take the shot and deal with headaches. I just want my quality of life back.”

Beth · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2020

“I was given Aimivog over a year ago and then had incredible, untreatable migraines and vertigo. My doctor acted like I was insane and I suffered for a month. I just saw a different neurologist. He also said my symptoms couldn’t possibly be from Aimivog. Like an idiot, I believed him and allowed him to prescribe Emgality. Before I even got to my car, I was having severe palpitations and vertigo. I’ve now had an untreatable migraine for 2 days. This is too big a coincidence to not be these meds. I notified the FDA online. I know with 100% certainty that the neurologist again will say it’s not possible. What is going on? Why is it so inconceivable that something that acts on your brain would have zero side effects for everyone, what about long term? Please weigh your options and if you do have side effects, please go online and notify the FDA, because these doctors are obviously not reporting the negative effects and thus, it looks like there are none.”

Brentwood · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

“I received the loading dose of 2 shots of Emgality on 1/28/2020. One week later I started having horrible anxiety and depression. I've read this from several reviewers. Should have done my homework better. This drug doesn't clear one's system for about 5 months. I've got a long way to go.”

Abby June 2, 2020

“I started emgality 6 months ago. It was a miracle. I went from having 2-3 migraines a week to nearly none! After trying nearly every drug on the market for this condition I finally found one that worked! Well.. fast forward a few months and I've noticed some not so great changes. I'm severely constipated. I've had to add probiotics and laxatives to my daily life pretty much. Pretty sure my body literally can't go to the bathroom for itself ATM. I have gained CRAZY weight and FAST!! I am very petite. Only 5 ft, been about 100-105 lbs my whole life. Suddenly within the last few months I gained about 20 pounds with no explanation. If anything my habits have improved! I've been eating healthier, working out a lot more, but can't for the life of me figure out how I'm gaining weight!! Literally this is the only thing that has changed lately. I'm not taking the drug anymore. Not worth becoming unhealthy over. I'll just keep trying others.”

Mrs Monk May 7, 2021

“This medication has changed my life. Within one week of first injection I have been migraine free for over 2 years. I suffered from chronic constant migraine pain with no success with many other treatments.”

Keri · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2020

“I started Emgality in January and while it has helped with my migraine frequency, I am left with dizzying tinnitus and constipation. I have also been experiencing infrequent, short bursts of panic, but didn't make the connection that it was related to the drug until reading everyone's feedback. My neurologist assured me that Emaglity is completely without side effects (with the exception of injection site irritation) and I am really upset that I am now stuck experiencing these additional ailments along with my chronic daily headaches that Emgality wasn't able to help. :(”

Tiffanie46 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2021

“I've inherited hormone sensitive migraines. I stopped taking triptans because of my age and heart issues. I took Emgality, initial two injections then one more. After that I started to get side effects. I found this site and was relieved to find others with similar reactions... as I thought something else was wrong with me. Number of migraines decreased. But, have had itchy skin, tinnitus, sleep problems, prickly nerve pain, depression, panic, terrible bruise, sinus drain, unrelenting nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, one hand swollen and painful to use, back pain, higher blood pressure and daily, constant headaches & low level migraines lasting for two weeks at a time. I know my body pretty well. I had one bad drug reaction in the past. I'm certain these reactions I listed are from this medication. I stopped taking it after second dose.. Can't wait till it clears my system.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

“I was vaccinated with Emgality a week ago, right after the injections I started feeling nauseous and weakness, I came home and had to lie down, I thought I was starting to get really sick, the doctor told me it did not seem to be related because it has no side effects, the next day I started itching, tingling in the body, after two days I woke up with terrible headache with nausea and my migraine pill naramig did not help at all, terrible headache persisted 4 days with terrible weakness and nausea . 9 days have passed since the injection, headaches, weakness and nausea do not go away. Doctors say Emgality has no side effects !! I'm sure all these symptoms are from the drug. Already waiting for it to leave the body. Prefers the migraines I had 2 a week. A terrible drug to try.”

Notalie · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 27, 2020

“After trying almost every migraine prevention method over the past decade... while damaging my kidneys in the process.... I finally found relief with Emgality. Also, I haven’t had to pay anything out of pocket with Cofinity insurance. I’m going on 14 months and have had less than a dozen migraines. I do occasionally have headaches, but they don’t progress. I use to suffer daily. My only complaints are that I have gained about 10-15 pounds and cannot seem to loose it. Also, the nerves in my teeth constantly ache, but my bite guard and secondary medicine Sumatriptan usually help with that. The week prior to my injection date I do start to feel icky... like my body knows it’s due for more. I can’t imagine not taking this medicine. Prior to this I could barely function in society. I have two college degrees and could barely hold a job because of my attendance. I’m in my early 30’s and have been suffering since my late teens. I can honestly say Emgality has saved my”

Teedove May 11, 2021

“I have been having migraines since I was a teenager, they stopped for awhile and recently started back. My MD thought the because I had been taking topamax so many years that we should take me off. So we tried Amovig and that gave me severe constipation. So he took me off the Aimovig and said for me to do the Emgality loading dose. I did read the reviews but it was after I had taken the dose. But 6 hours after the loading dose of Emgality I came down with a severe case of depression and anxiety. I mean it was bad it had me crying. So I am stopping the injections are not good for me. They may work for others but it is not for me. Just be precautious with taking any meds almost all have some side effects. I hope this helps someone.”

Mare · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 27, 2020

“Hi, I’ve had migraines since forever ago - 40 yrs now and chronic. I have a wonderful neurologist in Canada. I’m not that person who gets lots of side effects but,... Emgality was a bad experience for me. I felt like my body was one big hormone - meaning that my breasts were swollen and hurt to touch; I gained almost 15 lbs in 5 mos and my stomach was swollen and painful due to constipation it caused me. I would sweat profusely both day and night and these side effects were awful. My migraines didn’t improve by the 6th month. I’m off it now. We are all Biologically different and I’m happy for those that get positive results.”

Izzy July 4, 2021

“I’ve tried so many prescriptions. My body adapted to them & I would still get migraines. Once I prioritized a healthy life style, going to the gym & a balanced diet the frequency of my migraines drastically dwindled to only about 3/month rather than 2-3 a week spanning from 24-72 hours straight. But when I got them they would still last long & the meds didn’t help. The neurologist prescribed me Emgality. I’m 3 months in & this is the longest I’ve gone without a migraine in my life. I haven't experienced 1 migraine. I’m a healthy 24 year old who exercises regularly & eats pretty clean which is such an underrated addition to migraine prevention. Do I think Emgality would’ve worked as well the years I was eating bad & never getting exercise? NO. I have not gained weight on Emgality, I’m still losing weight. Meds should not be the ONLY thing you rely on for your migraines, you have to WORK WITH your meds & prioritize your health especially when you have chronic pain/illness!”

Nikki · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 9, 2020

“I have been on Emgality for 6 months. I was a DAILY migraine sufferer. I now go a about a week or so without any pain. I haven’t experienced any weight gain or other noticeable side effects except for constipation. My migraines are not completely gone but this has given me an almost normal life again.”

Kiki · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

“In reply to comment from demellj who wrote this "Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020 For Migraine Prevention "Has anyone else have side pain like near your right side hip or back pain?" YES! My whole right side; shoulder, hip, side and back! I thought it was just me.”

LC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 4, 2020

“I started Emgality in January 2020 and saw an improvement in my migraines in the first month. After the 3rd month, I began having an allergic reaction at the injection site, which is VERY itchy and irritating. I get huge red, raised welts at the injection site. Other than that, no constipation, no nausea, no dizziness or trouble breathing. Haven't gained weight, but haven't lost any either. The allergic reaction on my skin has almost been enough to make me discontinue use, but I keep telling myself it's a small price to pay for less migraines. I still have a few each month that I usually treat with Imitrex. Has anyone else experienced giant red welts at the injection site?”

Meyerbd · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2021

“I was given the two initial shots of Emgality during doctors visit. The day after these two shots I experienced an extremely severe migraine, then several days later. Another extremely severe migraine. These two migraines were worse than any I have experienced in 30 plus years. Terrible drug. True risks not listed on Emgality site. I will never take this drug again!! What a nightmare!”