User Reviews for Furosemide to treat Edema

Also known as: Lasix, Diaqua-2

Furosemide Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Edema.

Reviews for Furosemide

tinman · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2020

Lasix (furosemide): “Dr. has me back on lasix again for edema and will try another round. The first round was 20mg. X 2 for 6mo.s (damn I was patient) for the swelling in my feet. I was weeing a lot but it didn't hardly reduce the swelling. I've also noticed a significant increase in the cravings for potassium laden food so I believe it HAS drained me of that! Will try to get Doc to increase it to 40mg all at once as other reviewers have stated that 20mg is not enough... and it sure hasn't been for me.”

Anonymous May 23, 2020

Lasix (furosemide): “My mom's legs swelled. I really do not like this medication.”

Sami May 5, 2020

“furosemide worked very well, a few day's and swelling went down considerably, pain abated.”

Ninaeb · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

“I had a hip replacement go real bad & had to have it replaced after 11 years. I had a home nurse who weighed me & I gained 18 lbs in 2 weeks. My blood pressure wasn't dangerously high but higher than normal & I was extremely short of breath. I was prescribed Furosemide 20mg & Potassium Chloride CRYS ER 10 TBCR. I've lost the 18 lbs over 4 days but it gave me a really bad bladder infection with fever. Now I'm taking Nitrofurantoin Monohyd Mac for infection. My blood pressure is normal & breathing better. I guess I'd say it is helping but watch out for the bladder infection.”

Bobb March 25, 2020

Lasix (furosemide): “Bilateral edema knees to toes. Dr put me on 1 x a day 20 mg Lasix. Didn't work at all. Then put me on 2 x a day 20 mg Lasix. Might work a little, however, the problem is that 2 x a day of 20 mg Lasix does not mean you have a dose of 40 mg Lasix--you just have 2, 20 mg doses. So, I started taking two 20 mg at the same time to get a 40 mg dose and now my swelling is slowly going down. Dosage is important.”

Piper-Gracie · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2020

“I have read all these comments and have found all of them useful. I have questions for my doctor. Seems like there are issues with generic Lasix, and also Lasix doesn't work for everyone. I didn't take mine today and feel better than I have for the last 6 weeks. My legs were rock hard in the evenings, severe pitting, skin on fire and full of a tingling, rushing feeling. None of that tonight, but edema and pitting are still present. On Lasix, all the warning I would get was an extreme sudden urge in my bladder, like a shock from lightning and all the nerves in my core would go crazy. None of that tonight. I'm calling tomorrow for a doctor appointment.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2019

Lasix (furosemide): “Been on these lasix pills for 5 days and I will not take them anymore. I am in the bathroom every few minutes. Sometimes I just sit on the toilet because I know in a few minutes I will have to go again. I will not live this way.”

J ss · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2019

“I have sudden episodes of ankle and calf swelling and can gain around 8-12 pounds with in a few days randomly. Nothing works to reduce to bloat and painful swelling like lasix. I finally got a regular prescription from my doctor after explaining my symptoms. My doctor think the swelling is from over use of ibuprofen. Lasix 1 pill 20mg and -9 pounds. ( painful fluid ) No side effects.”

Borkin · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 26, 2019

“If you want to pee, this drug will do it. A couple of hours after taking it, I start having to go about every half hour, sometimes less. I've kept track of my weight before and after it wears off and I can lose as much as 3 lbs in water weight in just one day. I also take spironolactone. One those days where I am seriously retaining fluids and feeling bloated, my doc told me to take a double dose instead and my calves and feet go from looking like engorged balloons to slim with the veins popping out. I have CHF and when I retain fluids, it becomes hard to breathe, so my Lasix is a lifesaver.”

Sis · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2019

Lasix (furosemide): “I have been on lasix for about a year. I think its amazing! It's does make my blood pressure a little low and I've had problems with my potassium levels but it's worth it for how well it works. I ran out of my medicine and couldn't fill my script yet. So I was with out it for a week. I had severe edema. I mean I could barely climb stairs or take the one step on the porch with out almost falling. Got my script and the water was just falling away like magic.”

Jim - male · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2019

“Worked for the first week now I am still in pain in my feet and calves. I am asking doctor why, so I need to find out. Not curing me, which I hoped.”

Jan · Taken for 10 years or more May 17, 2019

“Lasix (furosemide) works brilliant then some days nothing I often wonder why. Then when on holiday it works brilliant the difference being on holiday get up take medication in empty stomach when home have breakfast then meds”

Big Spurg · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2019

Lasix (furosemide): “So I came into the hospital on a Thursday evening for shortness of breath, and two weeks later I'm being treated for edema. I weighed 636lb when I was admitted. Today I weigh just north of 500. 136lbs gone just from fluid my body was storing do to my diagnosed CHF. Most of the weight came off during my 2nd week on the Lasik IV drip. We have been going slow so that I don't get cramps and dr is doing blood work every morning at 4am.”

Lea · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2019

Lasix (furosemide): “Seems the more I take it the worse the swelling”

chris · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2018

Lasix (furosemide): “I was put on the med and I became extremely confused (couldn't even remember what house I lived in) and I was at home. So weak I could hardly get out of bed. 3 weeks later I was changed to hydrochlorathiazide for 2 weeks with the same effect, just not quite so severe . I quit all this type of med and within 24 hours I could tell a difference. I even did some grocery shopping today. The first time in 6 weeks I was exhausted to say the least but at least I was able to do it. No I didn't carry them in , nor have to them put away. But I was able to do it. I can't wait to see the progress tomorrow. So in conclusion BE CAREFUL”

Toni · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 28, 2018

“My optimum dose is 120mg every morning along with 20mg potassium chloride and another 80mg furosemide at 4 pm.”

Nicky · Taken for 10 years or more August 14, 2018

“Furosemide is a drug that needs better regulation. Only Mylan brand is effective, all other generics have zero results for me, as if they are fake, not containing any actual medicine. This is a life threatening problem for people who need a diuretic, one that the FDA should have addressed years ago, bad generics.”

cat16davis · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2018

Lasix (furosemide): “I have developed peeling of skin on my legs. I have bilateral leg edema.”

Renee · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2018

“For me Lasix only work good through IV I barely pee at times. On 80mg twice a day. Still have very much edma. Feet and ankle goes down after 9 hours of elevate time. Need something better. I been on it a month. Hospital arrival weight 209lb The time I finally gotten a room. Down to 204lb. Left hospital week later 200lb”

Jude · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2018

Lasix (furosemide): “Lasix (a potassium-depleting drug) made me pee a lot, but didn't do much to decrease swelling. Then I started taking spironolactone (a potassium-sparing drug ) and almost overnight I lost almost 10 pounds of excess water. I think the Lasix depleted too much potassium, causing too much retention of sodium (which in turn caused water retention). Note: My diet all along has been low sodium.”

Noelle · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2018

Lasix (furosemide): “I developed idiopathic (so far my docs are clueless) systemic inflammation over the course of 2 wks or so. Plus hypertensive crisis (202/110), never had BP problems before. I’m 5’5 and 120 lbs, but I looked like the Michelin Man after eating the Pillsbury Doughboy. Doc prescribed Lasix, wonderdrug! Peed like a horse for 2 days, almost back to normal. Unfortunately, however, the inflammation seems to have damaged my epidermis. My skin from knees on up to my chest looks like I vomited cottage cheese over it. :(”

ithinktoomuch · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2018

“I was fine on furosemide for a year before it stopped working well. They upped the dose. Worked a little, then stopped again. They put me on a rescue diuretic. Metolazone spiked my creatinine, so they took that away but never changed my Lasix. Finally I was left with the choice of an ER visit or a sauna at my gym. That started a months-long period where I was taking 4 to 8 pounds of water off in the sauna every day to deal with my crappy response to Lasix. And that was sending my blood pressure down into 70's/40's. My cardiologist then referred me to a transplant team, who switched me to bumetanide on the first visit and told me to quit the sauna. Thanks to having a diuretic that actually works though, I don't need the sauna. Lasix is well known for becoming ineffective, and cardiologists are well known to let you suffer for MONTHS and even visits to the ER without changing it out for something that works. Don't let them do this to you. DEMAND a switch and don't give them an option.”

trasmus3 October 2, 2017

Lasix (furosemide): “Much foot and leg swelling. Just finished 9 days hospitalization for pneumonia. Took steroid for several days after discharge. As I quit steroid swelling started so I ended up starting lasix. Urination every 2 hours. I have high blood pressure. Atrial fibrulation. Tremendous sweating. Edema is slowly going down.”

Joode · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 17, 2017

“I've been diagnosed with pulmonary edema, and that not only effects my lungs, but I get severe swelling of my feet and legs. The doc prescribed 20mg once per day. I can't take it that often. It works (within 45 minutes I'm running to the bathroom every 20 minutes for about 5 hours), the swelling goes down and I can breath easier, but it gives me horrendous leg cramps, even up into my thighs. I drink water, and gatorade, as well as eat bananas, but it doesn't help. I call it the "evil pill". But, if it gets rid of the fluid I guess I'll keep taking it, even if it's not as often as I should.”

HelenWil · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 18, 2017

“I have been to the hospital emergency room twice in 2 months with a diagnosis of edema. I was prescribed Lasix 20 mg along with Potassium pills. In the hospital they put Lasix in IV & it works almost immediately causing me to urinate about 20 times. My doctor has me on 40 mg of Lasix & low salt diet. The swelling has left my legs, but not my feet. I have noticed that if I elevate my feet at least 3-4 times a day with feet at heart level, the swelling goes down much better. I am trusting that swelling will go away completely soon. I am doing much better since going to emergency room, just still having difficulty walking. This can be very stressful to deal with because it affects mobility & exercising is challenging. I am a fall risk.”

Learn more about Edema

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)