User Reviews for Furosemide

Also known as: Diaqua-2, Lasix, Lo-Aqua

Learn more about Furosemide.

Furosemide Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 47 medications used in the treatment of Edema.

Reviews for Furosemide to treat Edema

"I have been to the hospital emergency room twice in 2 months with a diagnosis of edema. I was prescribed Lasix 20 mg along with Potassium pills. In the hospital they put Lasix in IV & it works almost immediately causing me to urinate about 20 times. My doctor has me on 40 mg of Lasix & low salt diet. The swelling has left my legs, but not my feet. I have noticed that if I elevate my feet at least 3-4 times a day with feet at heart level, the swelling goes down much better. I am trusting that swelling will go away completely soon. I am doing much better since going to emergency room, just still having difficulty walking. This can be very stressful to deal with because it affects mobility & exercising is challenging. I am a fall risk."

HelenWil (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Severe swelling of lower legs and ankles. Furosemide seemed to have helped."

Sliique (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lasix (furosemide): "Excellent RX. Have taken 40mg PRN for foot and ankle swelling. It shows response within 12 hours. Have had zero side effects. Will use as ordered."

Furr March 14, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm having a weird experience with lasix, with the IV version I can pee 7 pounds in hours but with the pills (40mg) twice a day I haven't peed as much as I want to. This is my first day taking it."

Dreadwing (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lasix (furosemide): "I have severe Lymphadima and venous edema with pitting. I made the mistake of taking the medicine at night and was up urinating every 30-40 minutes in large quantities all night. This medicine made me extremely thirsty so you have to be sure to drink plenty of water when taking this medicine."

Peeps Widow (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Dr prescribed me 20 mg a day for severe edema in my feet, legs, knees, stomach & hands.I even started to develop water blisters on my feet & developed high blood pressure. My bp was 155/96 after I took the meds, first day worked very well. I went to the bathroom 4 times really well. Then within one day I noticed I lost 7 pounds! But after you take it awhile you'll notice you won't pee as much, and weight loss will be slower. But it does work just remember to take potassium pills, and eat foods with potassium like bananas. Also eat a low sodium diet!!! :)"

LLaroche39 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lasix (furosemide): "20 mg three times aday. First day ? Nothing ,so far! I'm sure ,or at least I'm thinking its to early to tell diff yet. We shall see"

Dropzonewhiplass February 5, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"4x 40gm furosemide I have lost 11 pints urine today drank 5 cups tea and 1/2 cup juice"

Ii January 7, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lasix (furosemide): "I was prescribed the generic form of Lasix a few days ago for severe peripheral edema. The doctor had me taking 20 mg twice a day for three days and now I'm taking 20 mg. So far, I have notice only a subtle difference/improvement in the major swelling of my feet, ankles, legs and abdomen. I am experiencing an increase in frequency of urination, as others have described, but it doesn't seem like I 'm voiding enough, which may be why I am still so swollen. It has been only four days on Lasix and I am in terrible pain. Hopefully, the swelling will subside or at least decrease, otherwise, I will be contacting the MD for advice. I have also experienced headaches daily since I began the medication. I have been extremely dizzy as well."

MarlboroFiona (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had edema before in primarily my left leg, however, it usually goes away on it own. After some yard work in the heat, I was quite swollen in especially the left leg and as the leg went down, a heaviness settled in my chest and I could barely breath. I was taken to the ER after I started fearing a heart condition and was found to have heart failure with a normal functioning heart. I was given furosemide by vein in ER and was admitted. I was sent home after testing with a script for two 40mg twice a day and feel much better. I still feel really tired after very little exertion and have had some cramps in my feet. Overall, I feel much, I hope that after losing some weight, I will be back to normal very soon. This is a wake up call."

Lee65$ August 30, 2015

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"took my 1st ever 20mg tablet at 7am for big fat swollen ankles 2 pees and 2 hours later my ankles have already gone down by half -can't wait to see my ankle bones again ."

di titch August 22, 2015

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this medication to lower my blood pressure. After taking it for one day my BP went from 165/100 to 122/80. It worked perfectly for that. BUT... I have had headaches and nausea every single day since I started this medication...which was a week ago."

karalunzer July 30, 2015

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I find in combination with the lasix and potassium pills and with a heart healthy low sodium diet I feel absolutely great! And exercise helps a lot if your able.. good luck to all! I'm one of the lucky ones I guess? First time I used lasix was in the emergency room they gave me a huge shot of it and when I left there three hours later my ankles and feet were totally back to normal! I probably lost three to four pounds in 3 hours! and my breathing was not labored any longer! Thank God for lasix!"

workswondersforme (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Im taking 200 mgs every night at bedtime,, only time it works is when im laying down with pillows between legs,, the docs cant figure out why im swelling and its been going on for years,, so frustrated and half the time the medicine does not work ,, i felt so alone in this and really started to think im going crazy,, top all ive had a massive weight gain since last baby was born and it took nearly a year to heal from csection between packing the incision for months to wearing a vacuum for the last months,,then opted to have a third surgery on ankle hoping i could get the swelling down and walk better butt now its 100 x worse since the fusion and i ballooned up,, i feel beatin down and hopeless and sad thing is nobody cares, , living day to"

man808 March 31, 2015

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lasix (furosemide): "I started taking this medication when I was in my early 20's for edema. I take 80 mg a day for 20 years now. If I miss a day I go up about 12 lbs on the scale. This medication has worked wonders for me but it is hard to take if you need to leave the house. I can pee up to 20 times in 4 hours. Other than the inconvenience. It is a fantastic medication for me."

Laurie Dagere January 5, 2015

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lasix (furosemide): "My cardiologist put me on Lasix over a month ago due to edema of the legs and ankles. My rate of urination was about every 45 minutes nowhere as bad as some of the reviewers. I refilled my prescription and noticed an immediate change. Instead of every 45 minutes, it changed to every hour and a half. The only difference is the manufacturer. The Lasix made by Sandoz seems to work fine. "

Choir pork April 13, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am only 34 and suffer from a serious back injury so I have periodical need for the massive pitting edema I tend to show up with from time to time. And this does it's job! "

Tressie McReynolds (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 6, 2014

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lasix (furosemide): "I stated taking Furosemide yesterday for swelling in my feet and ankles. Right after taking it I had to make a 100 mile drive and ended up stopping 5 times en route to pee. The swelling has already decreased a LOT, and I am able to walk again without pain. I had pretty bad nausea after both doses. I am taking 40 mg once a day. I had to call in sick today as the nausea was causing vomiting. I'll try taking it after work. I went back to bed after calling in sick today and my cat that always sleeps on me was quite annoyed at trips to the bathroom every 10 minutes."

JohnHalo January 28, 2014

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lasix (furosemide): "Feet ankles and legs still badly swollen each day."

sister lukr (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 27, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had several experiences with Lasix. The first time I was on it I lost a lot of the edema but then it came back. I have nephrotic syndrome which comes and goes. So I currently have to be on the Lasix for periods at a time. Yes it does cause painful muscle spasms that are caused to losing potassium and basically being dried out from constant urination. This time around Lasix seems to be working better. "

Msluvlee27 January 23, 2014

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was reading skinny ankles post and I go through the same thing. I'm no doctor, but my doctor told me that the Lasix causes low potassium levels which cause body cramps. I get them really bad. I have some potassium OTC pills but my doctor advised me not to take them all the time, they can do more harm then good, so I just take them when I really need them. Try that with caution, it might help you. Seems likes all medicines causes more problems."

luvzcatz (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 11, 2013

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was initially prescribed hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) for edema associated with nephrotic syndrome and it worked very well and swelling in my feet, hands, and face began going away. Then I saw a nephrologist who said I needed furosemide instead of HCTZ. I started taking 20mg/day and the swelling began coming back. The doc said give it some time, you probably ate a salty meal or something. Well the edema really never did completely go away again. I had a kidney biopsy and then was put on Prednisone 60 mg/day and swelling really got bad, gained about 25 pounds water. Doc bumped me up to 40mg/day furosemide and it still didn't work. I still had some HCTZ 50mg left so I tried them and lost 4 pounds water the first day."

Clint3 October 10, 2013

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I WAS TOLD MY MY GP TO TAKE ONE A DAY FOR A MONTH, & THEN GO ON TO TWO A DAY. One a day was fine, the swelling was coming right, very slowly, but obviously. BUT two a day and I could barely stand upright, plus ringing in my ears. I've reverted to one a day."

Fredfertang (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2012

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lasix (furosemide): "I started taking Lasix 6/23. After 1 night I can tell a difference in the fluid around my left kidney and liver. The pressure is less. Thank you Lasix."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2012

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lasix (furosemide): "I have a genetic condition called Venous Insufficiency, which doesn't allow the blood & fluid to be returned from my lower legs & feet, so they swell and the skin can start to break down, which opens up the opportunity for infection. Have been taking Furosemide 40mg 1x day for over a year now - it is the only thing that keeps me from being in the hospital all the time with infections that require IV antibiotics. The only side effects I've noticed are the very frequent urination (not really a side effect, it's what the drug is *supposed* to do, as it flushes fluids out of the body), and aching in my legs and feet as the fluid leaves - I can only assume that is caused by my body trying to push the fluid out."

Anonymous May 14, 2012