User Reviews for Fulvestrant to treat Breast Cancer, Metastatic

Also known as: Faslodex

Fulvestrant has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 20 ratings for the treatment of Breast Cancer, Metastatic. 55% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Fulvestrant Rating Summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer, Metastatic.

Reviews for Fulvestrant

Anonymous January 18, 2012

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I was diagnosed with Metastic Breast Cancer five years ago and have been on Faslodex for four years which has made my cancer stable. The side effects I experience are; sweating, hot flashes again, severe bone pain, nausea, fatigue big time, constipation, etc. It is worth it to me because it is all tolerable and the other alternative is my cancer would start growing again. I call this my chemo because it is stopping my cancer. I am also losing all my teeth because of dry mouth and don't know if that is from the Faslodex or the harsh chemo I was on before.”

Jane June 4, 2020

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I want to warn you all about this drug. A very close person to me died because of Faslodex. She was put on it after the previous drug stopped working and even though she had changes on her liver the doctor decided to put her on Faslodex. Her physical state was very good at that point. Already after the first injection she started experiencing severe pain in her lower back. Then from one injection to another, her state was getting worse. Her liver got inflamed and she couldn't eat normally. It got to the point where she couldn't walk anymore, from severe pains and weakness. She died in pain, not knowing what was happening to her, and doctors couldn't explain anything, despite numerous exams. Final diagnosis was general metastasis - while only two weeks before her death she had all the exams that showed nothing. Therefore - please think twice before you trust your doctor. If your reaction to Faslodex is as bad, stop it immediately and stay away from it because it's POISON.”

Anonymous November 15, 2009

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I am a 2 year survivor of metastatic breast disease to bone. The injection itself is painful, but very few side effects for me. Tiredness, pain at injection site and sore throat are most persistent side effects. I like the fact that I only have to get it once a month.”

Candy girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2020

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I am 76 and was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer in bones 21 months ago. Have been on Arimidex till it now shows spots in liver and surrounding lymph nodes. Have had 3 shots of Faslodex. Two had no ill effects but one has left huge lumps because the medication was not heated and the shot was placed higher and released faster than the other two. Make sure the nurse heats it!!! Tomorrow I am supposed to start Ibrance but wonder if the 7 months it supposedly adds to my life is worth the side effects. Many thanks to all of you who have taken the time to post. It has been helpful. It made me realize that the pain in my jaw is probably from the bone strengthening infusion I get. And lastly I was surprised and encouraged that some of you have lived so long with cancer.”

Gene · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2019

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “My wife has been on this med for 5 years now. She started it right after her cancer returned and had spread to her spine and hip. She has all the same side effects you guys talk about and where it was the first week following her injection was bad the longer she has been on it this time is starting to extend. How effective is faslodex - well it has stopped all growth, it has not reversed it however it has kept it stable all this time. For the lady who asked about the dental issues my wife has had the same issue and is loosing teeth. It is known as mandibular necrosis and it is usually cause by the shot they give to strengthen her bones . Has anyone else been on the med for longer than 5 years?”

Laureen · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 26, 2020

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I have been on Faslodex for 5 years now with no discernible side affects. My bloodwork and cat scans have all been good so I am happy with the drug. I can see from other comments that some people have had some terrible side affects so have gone off it. We all have different reactions and all we can do is keep searching until we find a drug that our bodies can handle. Thank god we have many more choices than we did 40 years ago and that we have free medical coverage here in Canada.”

Lambo1964 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 29, 2020

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I'm currently on faslodex/Letrozole for 18 months. Prior to faslodex I was on Ibrance 33 months before I had progression. I have joint pain, nausea, night sweats etc. Usually 2 weeks a month I'm totally fatigued. My good days are great! I have scans this week & hope that the disease is stable. I have mets to lungs,& bones. Thriving 4 yrs 3 mo & feel I'm doing well @ 67!”

Mini9045 August 23, 2019

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I was diagnosed with Metastatic Breast Cancer to the bones 6 years and 4 mos ago. Initially I was treated with Letrozole and Xgeva worked for me for about 4 yrs 8 mos but then the found some active spots on my spine again. I had more Radiation and Have been on Faslodex, Ibrance and Xgeva ever since. I don’t get bad reactions from Faslodex. If the nurse warms up the Faslodex before it is injected it is easier for the nurses to inject and it feels better. The area of the injection is a bit tender for a couple days but nothing bad. My urine smells like ammonia or something for a couple days. I really don’t get side effects from Faslodex. I have terrible dry mouth but I take many meds. Lately I have been horribly tired but I see the Dr tomorrow. To anyone that has jaw pain that is probably from your Xgeva and can be very painful and definitely something the Dr needs to know. Please call your Dr. I hope you are all doing well!”

Hillymilly November 18, 2016

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I am 4 years 9 months survivor of metastatic breast disease to bone. The injection itself is painful, but very few side effects for me. Tiredness, pain at injection site and sore throat dry mouth are most persistent side effects. Tingling and burning sensation on right side of injection site.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2020

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “Diagnosed with met breast cancer in 2015 started Ibrance in 2018 with Letrozole. No side effects but now the treatment is Falsodex with Ibrance. Been experiencing dry mouth, slight pain in lower back, vision difference and loss of appetite. Not intolerable though. The injections don’t hurt because they warm it up. Hang in there ladies and carry on! Will update results.”

SweetTeena · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 19, 2020

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I've been on Faslodex 2 years. Diagnosed with pleural mets. Yes, there are side effects; moody, bone pain, flu like syndrome for a few days...BUT all are managed well. I also take Verzenio. My liver functions are fine and my disease has not progressed at all. It's tough at times but worth it.”

Honee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 17, 2020

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “For 8 months I had injections in my butt every 28 days it did lower my estrogen . After stopping because of chronic injection pain they tried injection in the thigh. It’s been four months since last butt shots and 3 months since thigh shot. The pain is still there and very hard sometimes, I really believe nerve damage is cause, I’ve been back on letrozole for 2 months but still experience the chronic sporadic burning, numbing butt and thighs . Besides that it made me smell of burnt motor oil. Drs brush it off and say “ oh I’ve never heard that before””

Sunny · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2019

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, mets to bone, this past April. I have been on Faslodex,(5 months) Xgeva (4 months) & Ibrance (2+ months). My Dr. has weaned me off everything because of side effects of EXTREME fatigue, weakness, nausea, shortness of breath, bone pain, dizziness, low while blood cells (wbc) which is from the Ibrance). I can tell the Xgeva was responsible for the majority on my weakness, but the Faslodex still has be so weak that I want to buy a walker. I can also tell you that my nurse warmed my shot for 20 to 30 minutes & gave me my injections high on my butt, with no weight on the corresponding leg & that I had no pain whatsoever. Also used Biotin mouthwash per dentist. I have two weeks until Faslodex is entirely out of my system. It did work in healing my lesions per my CT scans its just the side effects were too debilitating.”

roadrunner September 4, 2018

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I've been on the shots for 5 months ...the first 3 months I received the shots from another Dr. and they were painful in administration AND for 2-3 days after. I changed Dr.'s and the nurse that has given it to me the last two months has made a big difference I have very little pain with the injection and no pain in my buttocks afterwards..what a blessing. My take on that is it wasn't warmed up to room temp and she is injecting it higher on the butt than the other nurse did. I get a funny taste immediately and my urine has a chemical smell for about a week...that's about it...”

Seda · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 19, 2020

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I am breast cancer stage 4, or spread to cervix spine and lung. I have been on the injection for 7 years and it has kept the cells from growing. Minimal side effects. The biggest problem is the cost. Even with Insurance it's over $800 a month. I may need to stop the injections.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 5, 2016

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “pain at buttock site large lump on injection site 6 months now dizziness, the worst tingling, pins and needles on right foot and other various sites on extremities. comes and goes,also pain on bottom of foot.”

Kathy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2018

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I’m on faslodex for about a year. I have a lot of side effects — same as everyone else. I was just wondering if anyone is experiencing jaw pain. It just came on suddenly. I went to dentist and they said I have bone loss but no infection to cause pain. Some days the jaw hurts more than others.”

Honee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 10, 2020

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “Have been on faslodex for 8 months, my butt gets so sore from injections , So we tried in upper thigh. One week after my injection my thighs are numb on the sides to my knee. I get a Burnt oil smell in urine and just all around body smell for 3 days after. My vision has changed also. I do not look forward to injections”

Abigailmaltese · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2017

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “Horrible, painful injections, my hips would swell out like a lumpy wing. Was on it for 3 months and it was like miracle grow for my MBC, my liver mets flourished into a garden of tumors. Aromasin for 9 months started the two small liver lesions to multiply like crazy and the Faslodex was worse. All sizes of tumors, the largest being 12 cm. I was on the cusp of liver failure. Also caused sciatica in my left side and have had that for a yr and will never go away. New oncologist put me on Taxol for 7 months. The first 5 months liver enzymes were dropping, tumors shrinking and the last 2 months Taxol stopped working. Eveything reversed. Tried CMF and Xeloda, side effects were severe I refused to do any more treatments. Abraxane now, bad side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 21, 2020

“Warning: Be very careful before agreeing to treatment with Fulvestrant. A study confirmed that, after breast cancer cells become resistant to Fulvestrant, an aggressive phenotype frequently develops thus causing significant migration and invasion. The study found that this occurs with breast cancer cell lines MCF7 and T47D. After about 12 months of treatment, skin lesions started forming on my breast. Over about 10 weeks to-date the lesions continue to migrate and now cover about 75% of my breast. Also, additional small lumps have appeared elsewhere below my armpit and in the center of my abdomen. Similar to another person’s post on this site, Fulvestrant was “like miracle grow” for my cancer. My cancer now is more aggressive than ever, since my initial diagnosis, prior to this treatment. Also, what is additionally disturbing is that the risk of this outcome is not indicated in any of the prescribing/patient information for the brand or the generic versions.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 4, 2021

“I am 79 years old and have battled breast cancer since 1999. During that time I had radiation, taken tamoxifen. After 10 years, my cancer came back. I then had a mastectomy. Two years later my cancer metastasized to my spine. Thank God for Fulvestrant! I have now been on Fuivestrant for 7 1/2 years. I have had constant sweats (I have a mini fan I always have with me) Constantly tired, no energy, constipation. At this time my blood work is fine and My cancer is dormant. The side effects are not fun at all, but I definitely can handle it with a smile on my face because I am alive! Thanks to all you have shared their experiences.”

Toula · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2021

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “I was relatively stable despite mets in bone, I was able to walk and function reasonably well. After the first fulvestrant I had digestive problems and tiredness. After the 2nd I had bone pain (new mets) and generalised muscle pain especially shoulders, trigeminal neuralgia possibly from brain mets and new breast lesions. I feel as if this medication has finished me off. Doctors do not take these bad outcomes seriously, the attitude is that it was going to happen anyway”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2021

“I have had 2 injections so far- two weeks apart. After the injections, the skin of my buttocks is terribly itchy at the injection site. The last time the itchiness lasted for two weeks.”

Anonymous October 10, 2020

Faslodex (fulvestrant): “It makes my urine and feces smell for a week. Probably goes through my pores. If you stand close to me you can smell it.”

rikas May 31, 2010

“The explosive body movements while she sleeps is very scary. Nothing of the sort with Tamoxifen, had it only worked. ”

Learn more about Breast Cancer, Metastatic