User Reviews for Famciclovir to treat Cold Sores

Famciclovir has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 42 ratings for the treatment of Cold Sores. 71% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Famciclovir Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Cold Sores.

Reviews for Famciclovir

Anonymous March 14, 2008

Famvir (famciclovir): “I have suffered from embarrissing cold sores for years. My doctor told me about a single day dose of Famvir (1500mg). He wrote me a script so that I have them on hand when I feel an outbreak coming. I soon as I feel the outbreak, I initiate the therapy and the cold sore does nothing more than get a little red for a day or so. No more full blow outbreaks, this has been wonderful.”

Sally1674 September 15, 2016

Famvir (famciclovir): “I've gotten cold sores since I was a little kid. I'm now 19 and they're ruining my life. They caused me so much anxiety until I got prescribed this medication. I usually catch the cold sore when it is red and itchy because they often come when I'm asleep. I take the three tablets (costs me around $10 so very affordable) and during the day the cold sore continues to swell and throb as though the medication hasn't done anything. By the next day though I wake up to a dry red patch instead of the usual huge blistering process. This medication means the cold sore lasts maybe 3-4 days but is so much more manageable as it never processes through the disgusting stages. I always have a packet on me.”

Lava Lips September 23, 2017

“The side effect of heart pulpitations was really scary. I could describe it to be like a bad ecstacy pill at a rave. I had to pull car over get out and lie on the side of the road, lasting all up one hour. Other than that... Cold sore GONE a day later! Was it worth lying in the gutter for? YES! ”

zome · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2015

“This is probably the best thing to have happened to me this year (discovering these magic pills). I had my first cold sore about 6 years ago and had been getting them 3-4xs a year and then it gradually went down to 1-2yr. I would normally let it run its course (usually 2 weeks ), which was not only embarrassing but painful, and treat it with over the counter gels and home remedies. My most recent one came back ALL over my top /bottom lip...so I got prescribed 1500mg, took them the 3rd day (by this day the bumps had already risen up and where visible), packed on some abreva and by morning the bumps were almost gone. My bottom lip cleared out and all that was left on top was redness. I cant stress enough how good these are.”

MikeyOz March 16, 2015

“Outbreak commenced on Sunday - I took the 1500mg dose as soon as I suspected it was a cold sore. The outbreak progressed and on Monday I could feel/see the bumps/redness and the itching was getting much worse. Today (Tuesday) the bumps are nearly gone and the redness is abating with no abnormal sensations. Wonderful to have this product after 30 years of living with cold sores that last for 14 days from start/finish.”

Allan8900 July 4, 2014

“I was impressed! My cold sore had gotten to the 2nd day when it was blistering and weeping - took 1500mg as a single dose and within the same 24 hour period the cold sore had stopped blistering completely, dried up and formed a healthy scab. After 48 hours the scab had fallen off and new skin was underneath. Impressed. Next time I'm using this wonderful medication when I get the "tingle". I'm usually not impressed by medications but this particular medicine works a treat for cold sores and it's available over the counter.”

Hayley · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2019

“Had 2 cold sores on my lip, Dr and chemist Recommended taking elovax (famciclovir 500mg) 3 tablet dose. Within 30 minutes of taking it, I started to have severe heart palpitations, severe diarrhea, nausea and restlessness . After a few hours I started to get a headache, within 5 hours my headache had become unbearable and I was rushed to hospital. Placed on 2 drips, and monitored for few a few hours. Over the next few days I am still unwell with stomach pains and a headache. My cold sores did improve BUT NEVER, NEVER AGAIN... DID I MENTION NEVER AGAIN. .. My experience was Awful . I would not recommend taking this medication and wish I hadn't.”

PismoWill · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 28, 2015

“This drug, along with its predecessor, acyclovir, is a godsend. If you ever suffered breakouts, you know how embarrassing it is to go about your day with a cold sore. If you have to spend the workday talking to people, it's even worse. My breakouts were usually a week long, with the residual scar visible for another few weeks. I take famciclovir at the earliest opportunity. Caught early, I'm even able to stop a full breakout, and only redness remains left to be healed. This drug works so well, I am puzzled by the "remedies" peddled on TV, the internet, and health food stores (Abreva, Bactine, essential oils, lip balms, etc.). Famciclovir/acyclovir is the only thing that has worked for me.”

Happy camper July 16, 2013

Famvir (famciclovir): “Went to dermatologist 3 days after first sign was only using Abreva with no results. He suggested 1500mg Famvir now, and gave me 3 more to take at the first sign of additional outbreak in the future. Within one day the swelling had gone away and the blister was starting to clear up. I have used other treatments but nowhere as fast and effective as this product.”

RD321 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2014

“Usually cold sore lasts well over a week for me, getting quite large and unsightly. But famciclovir tablets absolutely crush them. Last no longer than 3-4 days depending on how quick I identify the cold sore coming and take the tablets. Healing and turn around time is awesome, the best product I have ever used for cold sores! Always keep them on hand now.”

Eq2008 January 28, 2015

“I get at least three cold sores a year usually around wintertime. Now I get the pills prescribed by my doctor and have extra on hand to take when I first see signs of cold sores. I never catch it at tingling stage so I can only review what it does after taking when blisters already formed. My symptoms would last 10-14 days without this med. it goes swollen and painful and gross too. But with this med, I only get a red patch for 3-4 days and then it's gone. It's amazing!”

Sufferer-no-more · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 15, 2016

“I have had cold sores since I can remember. they've always been hugely traumatic for me and really mess with my self esteem not to mention everyone on here would know they aren't pleasant physically! I've always tried lysine which seemed to help but now that I've discovered famiclovr I realize they were doing nothing. I've taken the three tablets on three occasions now where they prevented a cold sore from coming out altogether! There have been two occasions where I took the tablets when I felt a blister and the blister got bigger however the very next day seems to be nearly gone. Basically, if the cold sore is too powerful/you're too late to take the medicine it still reduces the healing time from 2 weeks to 4 days! Amazing drug.”

will18 August 11, 2010

Famvir (famciclovir): “Had cold sores since I was in primary school and am now 18. Take a dosage of 1500mg of Famvir in one dose. Works great for me and stops the virus, leaving only a red mark for about 3 days. Side effects: tiredness, nothing serious though.”

redhorse1984 February 9, 2015

“I rarely get a cold sore (normally once every two or three years), but when I do they are mostly quite large and last for at least a week. So when one popped up in the morning and had already started to blister I went to the chemist straight away. He suggested I try this (1500mg one dose). Wow did it work, cut the time in half and scabbed alot quicker. I continued using cream as well. Only downside was on the day of medication I felt quite drowsy and had a mild nagging headache until the next morning. But so worth it. I will be taking this everytime from now on!”

Joshua Nagel January 30, 2014

“As a baby I cut open my lips on a road in Africa, ever since then I have suffered with cold sores year to year, about 3 to four each year. I tried every cream on the market. One day my doctor gave me a script to buy Famvir and wow. The tingle sting went away in less than 24hrs. And after a couple of days the cold sores were healing and almost gone. This works so much better than the creams! Cause if you are not careful, you can infect other areas of your mouth with your fingers as you apply the cream. When fighting a cold sore, get heaps of sleep, spoil yourself with sleep. So happy that now in Australia, I can buy this product over the counter and don't have to visit my doctor every time.”

cold sore lady · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2016

“I always have a packet of this on me. ALWAYS. In the hand bag, in the bedside drawer... it doesn't matter. I feel panicky when I don't have a packet on me somewhere. Many times I've thought I've felt the tingle or seen a tiny little bump, and I've taken the 3 x pills STRAIGHT AWAY and no cold sore has ever appeared. There was one instance when my lip got burnt from too much sun / wind exposure, and my lip swelled up and I had the MOTHER of all cold sores - unfortunately these nifty pills didn't stop that, but definitely cut healing time back to roughly 4 days (instead of 10!). Zinc, Lysine and yoghurt are also very good to take when treating an outbreak. Good luck!”

Williro July 27, 2020

“Had cold sores for years. Offered Famciclover 3 tablet dose in hospital last YEAR. It was AMAZING. Then Blood Pressure high & was put on 2 BP TABLETS, investigated adrenals, As I had op ahead, BP must be under control. Since, I've had cold sores x 4, had Famciclover & great results. This time, I had it Mon, felt OK til 4 days later felt weird in head, nausea, was sure BP was up. Home BP test almost 200/98. Had BP tablet (taken off 3 mth before cause improved) drank water every 15 mins. Was red in face felt dizzy & extreme pressure in head. Had 2nd BP tablet & Aspirin. BP 207/107 after midnight. Cried to God for mercy. I slept. Took it easy next 2 days. BP 2nd day, 173/83. Wondered if connection with Famciclover. Googled, found others with similar reactions. Will not be taking again! Will use Colloidal Silver I had great results. Why Increase in Blood Pressure not listed in side effects”

Kane November 28, 2019

“Its a christmas miracle. I have had cold sores since about 5 years ago - on and off with about a 2 or three year gap in between. This time around I didn't even get the tingle which of course came as a shock to me that after the end of an extremely tiring day I looked in the mirror and there she was - in all her disgusting glory AND right in time for my christmas party in 3 days. I raced straight to the chemist for an over the counter dose of famciclovir. Being my first time using it I also grabbed some compeed pads (which I used for 2 and a half days) as I have found them very useful for hiding the sore. I had no side effects at all from taking the dose and low and behold 2 days later my sore is COMPLETELY gone. No blistering, No scarring, no disgusting fluids, no cold sore. This is the stuff of miracles and I would assume that if I did have the tingle the tiny sore wouldn't have even showed in the first place. I can't recommend this enough - life changer”

Morgs · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2018

“Went to the chemist and purchased the tablets within 10 mins of feeling the symptoms, took them within 15 mins - I was really happy I could get onto it straight away.. but through the night I felt my lip start to swell and my skin become sensitive on my neck, face and scalp like it usually does. I started using the patches on my lip the next day hoping to slow it down, but nothing has worked - back to Zovirax now hoping this huge monster will disappear sooner rather than later! I thought the tablets were going to be my saviour.. I am wondering if i should've applied the cream at the same time it took the tablets??”

M August 21, 2019

Famvir (famciclovir): “If I get a cold sore, it means that 10 days later I break out all over my body with blisters. The condition is called Erythema Multiforme. It's extremely painful and serious episodes can mean a trip to the burn unit, since each blister is very similar to a burn. Think of a match that burns you beneath the skin. I was diagnosed in 2004 and given large doses of Valtrex and/or Acyclovir to prevent cold sores. Unfortunately, I found these medicines almost worthless. I actually found high SPF lip balm to be more effective at preventing cold sores than these drugs. So in 2012, I gave up on any solution. I googled my condition for the first time in 3 years and learned Famvir cured 3 people with recurring Herpes Induced Erythema Multiforme. I just got meds today, but feel like I'm already rapidly improving. The jury is still out, but if you tried Abreva, Prednisone, Valtrex, or Acyclovir as to treat or prevent cold sores and they failed you, it may be wise to give Famvir a try.”

DICKY BEACH February 14, 2016

“Cold sore sufferer since child (now 43). Get a cold sore occasionally now (i.e. every couple of months). PROS If you take tablet when feel tingle/itch - have found it stopped outbreak (used twice and it did work) - at least I think it must have (can't be sure I suppose). CONS Don't always experience tingle/itch (i.e. asleep/sick) and cold sore breaks out - then it's too late to take (have tried twice but did not work; in fact, I only had one cold sore on top of lip and took meds but then another broke out next day in corner of mouth). A serious sufferer may not get required results. Expensive (you get 3 tabs for $30 - $40 in Australia over the counter at the chemist). You MUST have these meds on hand i.e. in bedside drawer/handbag”

Anonymous September 16, 2020

“First time I took it I got an intense headache but I figured it was worth it to prevent a cold sore but the second time I had horrible heart palpitations. I felt dizzy and weak and it was so unpleasant I will never take it again.”

EM1981 June 25, 2015

“A friend told me about these tablets the last time i was suffering from a cold sore. At the time it was already too late to take the meds cos it was in full force so I kept the idea in mind for next time. Last Tuesday early morning I felt the coldsore coming out, went to the chemist as soon as it opened and took the 3 tablets (1500mg). By Thursday it was already crusting up and by Saturday (had a wedding to attend) I could cover it up with make up pretty well. I cannot believe how quick this medication works, it saved me a whole week of suffering unnecessarily, not to mention saved me from the embarrassment at my friends wedding. Now I have a spare packet at home, this will change my life!”

Red · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2019

“I have used the famciclovir repeatedly for coldsores. I have had no side effects and they have stopped my cold sores every time. I am normally quite sensitive to a lot of drugs so I was pleasantly surprised. I am very susceptible to the cold sores spreading to my nose and eyes (Herpes Simplex) and I am terrified that this will happen so I always keep a packet at home and at work. I cannot recommend this highly enough.”

TheyStopWorkingEventually · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 2, 2019

“I used to get cold sores often. Then discovered over the counter cream that helped at first, but after several uses I stopped feeling tingling before the cold sore would appear, and then it was too late for cream. Used Acyclovir for several years, but not feeling tingling still often took it too late to avoid the breakout. Switched to oral Famciclovir (1500mg x1) and it worked like a miracle for about 2 years. The last time by the time got my prescription from pharmacy it was too late to really work and it did not. Today I applied it at the very first feeling of it coming, and to no effect, half a day later still got my cold sore.”