User Reviews for Everolimus

Also known as: Afinitor, Zortress, Afinitor Disperz

Everolimus has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 23 ratings on Drugs.com. 52% of those users who reviewed Everolimus reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Breast Cancer
Renal Angiomyolipoma
Summary of Everolimus reviews 5.8 23 reviews

Reviews for Everolimus

Fighting Mets · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2020

Afinitor (everolimus) for Breast Cancer: “I have been taking Afinitor for about 2 weeks. Just feel I cannot continue in with it, feeling like my heart is racing for hours after taking it, it feels close to a panic feeling. No mouth sores(yet) doing the steroid mouth swish as ordered. However, I suddenly have a cluster of large pimple like sores on inner thighs, my skin in general feels very dry. I just cannot deal with sores and am terrified they will become wide spread. I was on Ibrance a year and then it stopped working. The only side effect was fatigue, that I can deal with but sores - no. calling my doctor and telling him the side effects are too much! Give me a med that has fewer serious side effects! I have not taken it long enough to evaluate if it is even being effective. Just no the side effects have begun right away.”

mishu · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2020

For Organ Transplant, Rejection Prophylaxis: “At first everolimus was ok but after few a week developed BAD sinus issues flu like symptoms, heavy head, fatigue, itching..VERY STRONG DRUG and expensive as well.”

Mohammad October 11, 2020

For Organ Transplant, Rejection Prophylaxis: “Helped me reduce tacrolimus and wean prednisolone. Safer to kidneys and no digestive issues like mycophenolate. But one downside is it is expensive.”

mrdingdong · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 23, 2013

Afinitor (everolimus) for Pancreatic Cancer: “I have neuroendocrine tumors with metastasis to liver. I was put on Afinitor (10 mg) since Feb, 2011 after I had so many side effects from Sutent. Afinitor has made my liver mets stable or shrink somewhat and I have no or minimum side effects. It was provided free of cost by Novartis. So thank you Novartis.”

KathyinNewMexico · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2013

Afinitor (everolimus) for Breast Cancer: “I was one of the few people who could not take it. It attacked my body along with the cancer. Quit taking it after 2 months but it would not flush from my system. My skin was bad from dehydration as it did not allow my body to absorb moisture in my arms and legs. My skin looked like parchment with nothing under it but bone and a little flesh. Lost over 20 pounds in about a month. Finally my regular doctor put me in the hospital -as I found some men in Australia had to do. I was given I.V's for 5 days and am feeling much better. It is a good medicine but some people just cannot take it.”

itskitsch · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2014

Afinitor (everolimus) for Breast Cancer: “I've been taking it for 5 months. After 6 weeks on 10 mg my lymphedema arm got infected & real swollen--I was told it was shingles & Lyme disease. After 2 rounds of antibiotics I went back on 5 mg. My subsequent scans show liver mets decreasing. My insurance cap was exceeded after 1 month($$$), but I qualified for a Novartis program for free medicines--check it out. Side effects on 10 mg were intense--like chemo. 5 mg is much more tolerable, still I must take Protonix every day for gastric upset. And I get really itchy.”

wrd · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 31, 2015

Afinitor (everolimus) for Breast Cancer: “Stage 4 with lymph and bone bone metastasis. Never on infusion chemo due to my autonomic diabetic nerve damage. Hormone treatments failed. Tamoxifen gave me terrible forgetfulness. Took Xeloda. At 6 months scan showed cancer gone except in giant ulcer on chest. Then Xeloda failed and cancer spread rapidly. Affinitor worked quickly with visible changes in two weeks. Four weeks ulcer showing definitely better . Been about 5 months. Cat scan showed no cancer active. Ulcer a third smaller and still healing. Cancer itching totally relieved although some iching as larger tumors heal. Had some nose slight bleeding issues early on but with summer humidity no problem. Chronic slight cough and congestion. Short of breath but can walk.”

Lifer lifer lifer · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2016

Afinitor (everolimus) for Breast Cancer: “Although the medication did effectively treat my cancer the side effects were so severe that I decided to discontinue use of the drug and try an alternate treatment. Skin rash started on my hands initially and spread to my entire body causing severe itching and scratching which led to something looking like opened bug bites all over. Severe gum irritation described by my dental hygienist as your gums are flapping in the wind, also red swollen gums which caused me to be unable to eat anything not soft. Lost 10 lbs the first two months. Also projectile vomiting, diahrea and nausea. At three months I found it had made me diabetic and raised my triglycerides to over 500. That's when I opted to stop treatment.”

Daisy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2018

Afinitor (everolimus) for Breast Cancer: “It was the worst experience ever with this medicine , I DO NOT RECOMMEND it at all , Please don’t take it , this is a TOXIC medicine , my mum used it , it caused her lung problems, lung embolism, lung inflammation, & MALIGNANT LYMPHOMA, and she dead after using this TOXIC medicine. She used the 10 mg from March to May , than 5 mg from May to June and she stopped it after suffering from allergy , she lost over 27 kilograms in a short period .”

mimi · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 22, 2018

Afinitor (everolimus) for Neuroendocrine Carcinoma: “I started taking Afinitor on 20 May 2016, and I've given the drug a 9 because I'm still very much alive, able to work (computer work), take a 25-minute walk every day, and receive visitors. I have had side effects, including diarrhea, neuropathy (feet and ankles), loss of energy, and mouth sores (very infrequent now). I take paracetamol (6 x 500 mg daily) for pain. My tumors (lung and liver) shrunk a tiny bit and then remained the same. I have CT scans, x-rays, blood and urine tests. My appetite is good. I do not live in the USA.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 20, 2018

Afinitor (everolimus) for Neuroendocrine Carcinoma: “I started this April 2016 the side effects did not start until June. It started with diarrhea, then hemorrhoids ,then itching, weight loss, loss of appetite. I kept telling my doctor something was wrong but he told me to eat anything I wanted but the final situation was I got an infection in my right eye I was in hospital for 10 days. He only came once to tell me to stop taking the Afinitor. Upon release I had to go to a doctor who specializes in infectious diseases for 2 months and this was everyday. Weight wise I went from 162 to 124 I am now just skin and bones also the tumor just kept growing I went to another cancer doctor he performed surgery to remove the tumor. This medication is the worse”

Dsingh1900 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 8, 2018

Afinitor (everolimus) for Renal Angiomyolipoma: “I had my left kidney removed June 2016 and part of my left lung as it had metas. I was on Sutent and very ill and on another drug that did not work. So far this is helping to shrink my tumors in my lungs. The only side effect is a slight cough and some fatigue. Our family almost can not afford my drugs. So I have to change to the cheap generic drugs”

Vic · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 20, 2019

Afinitor (everolimus) for Renal Cell Carcinoma: “Everolimus was part of my first line treatment. I had to dose reduced twice. I was very fatigued and the nausea and diarrhea put me in the ER 4 times. I did have a partial response but I had a very poor quality of life. I was dependent on electric wheelchair and was unable to do daily task. My hair thinned I lost a lot of weight. My appetite was non existant and I got mouth sores. But it did work for a while so I would do it again”

Hope Mom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 16, 2017

Afinitor (everolimus) for Brain Tumor: “My daughter is been taking Afinitor 5 mg for a brain tumor, cerebellar pilocytic astrocytoma grade 1, the tumor after a MRI every 3 months is stable, no grows, after 2 surgeries this pill is helping to keep all under control. Thanks God!”

Dakota Kid · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 12, 2019

For Neuroendocrine Carcinoma: “Started taking everolimus orally 10mg daily December 5, 2017 for pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor metastatic to the liver in combination with a once every four week injection (30 mg) of Octreotide LAR. Tumors actually shrunk some during the first year; since have remained stable to April 2019. Do have occasional side effects - mouth sores, some weakness and fatigue, loose stool to occasional diarrhea. For the most part I function very normally. Good appetite. My weight is reasonably stable, and I do well in spite of a stage IV cancer diagnosis. For "PNET", pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors, this drug appears to be very effective - at least for me.”

WLJ · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 28, 2019

Zortress (everolimus) for Organ Transplant, Rejection Prophylaxis: “This is an exceptionally good drug for liver transplants. In fact, it is a monotherapy for me. One of the big selling points is that it does not create problems with kidneys, heart, lungs, etc.. as other drugs can and do down the road. I started with 6 mg/day --- went through an acute rejection at 6-weeks post-transplant (jumped up to 8 mg/day ad steroids) and weaned back down to a monotherapy and 6 mg in the first two years. After it was discovered that this drug had no impact on my neuroendocrine tumor progression, I quit the study and found a physician who would work with me to lower this drug. I am currently on 2 mg (subclinical dose) and doing fine, 8-years post-transplant. I recommend this drug and say just be patient if you are a new transplant person. After about 1.5 years, push to get off all other drugs except this one, you will have fewer problems in the long run.”

Henry · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2019

Afinitor (everolimus): “My mother took Afinitor with Letrozole for uterine cancer and said afterwards that she felt like her bones were too weak to hold her up. Her bone density scans proved that to be true. For an older person I think a baseline bone density test prior to beginning treatment would be helpful to know for sure if any changes in bone density are attributed to this drug.”

Fighting It · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2017

For Breast Cancer: “Sorry but after 69 days had to stop. Based on genomic testing this drug was used to treat platinum-based resistant ovarian cancer with pleural effusion. I suffered insomnia, indigestion, lack of energy, dry skin. My pleural effusion did not improve and this drug made it worse. My CA-125 tripled under this drug. It just did not work for me despite genomic testing. Glad to hear it helped others though.”

rcbridge January 30, 2011

Afinitor (everolimus) for Renal Cell Carcinoma: “Worked but had to stop because my kidney creatinine level was too high.”

lovemoore June 8, 2013

Afinitor (everolimus) for Breast Cancer: “Dont have any side effects, only mild tiredness. Been taking it for three weeks.”

SueStick January 10, 2013

Afinitor (everolimus) for Breast Cancer: “Within 7 days of taking Affinitor the fluid in my lung decreased.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2012

Afinitor (everolimus) for Brain Tumor: “I have been taking this medicine for 5 months and my MRI showed that the SEGAs that I have in my brain were smaller than 6 months previous.”

cecix June 11, 2015

Afinitor (everolimus) for Breast Cancer: “On this drug for 2 weeks, had severe side effects, swelling of both hands, rash,and small bubbles started appearing (pop it like water). now its on both feet,arm pit. I had to stop taking it.”

Lifer lifer March 15, 2016

Afinitor (everolimus) for Breast Cancer: “Although the medication did effectively treat my cancer the side effects were so severe that I decided to discontinue use of the drug and try an alternate treatment”