User Reviews for Tri-Sprintec to treat Acne

Tri-Sprintec has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 135 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 39% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Tri-Sprintec Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 331 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Tri-Sprintec

Rhomier · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2019

“I was worried about trying this birth control after reading reviews online, so I wanted to share my experience. I am on the second month of Tri Sprintec and haven't experienced a single side effect. Additionally, I have noticed my skin slowly but surely beginning to clear up.”

Acne at 31 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 3, 2014

“Since having my last child at age 27, my acne has been out of control. Serious cystic breakouts (forehead, chin, temples). When they just about heal up, BOOM, here comes the new ones. I have tried it all, literally. I did lemon juice, baking soda, vinegar, herbs, masks, lotions, pH balancing washes etc. NOTHING worked. I was so sick of it. At 30 I got Tri-Sprintec. The results were amazing. 1st month, I noticed the breakouts weren't as severe (but still there). 2nd month, I noticed the inflammation was better, still a few break out spots. 3rd month, I noticed I barely broke out (just on my temple area and one spot on my chin). 4th Month-NO MORE BREAKOUTS!”

J121 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 15, 2019

“When I first started taking Tri-Sprintec it definitely was a struggle, I had some anxiety and depressive thoughts and my acne only got worse. My gyno told me to wait a longer than 3 months and if I still felt crappy to go back to her. After about the 4th month things definitely started getting better. My acne began to clear up, my mental health went back to normal, and my periods got lighter and my cramps are almost non-existent. My doctor told me Tri-Sprintec does have negative side effects in the beginning and does take a little longer for your body to get used to it. Overall, after the first few months I am now very happy with this pill, I would recommend giving it a try and just to be patient with it, I know everyone is different but it really works well after you give it time.”

Ab · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2021

“Initially I was scared of trying Tri-Sprintec just because of the terrible reviews I saw and my previous experiences with BC pills (nausea, depression, diarrhea). But this pill is awesome!! Apart from a few days of nausea and some initial breakouts, I had no mood swings, no weight gain. After the 2nd week my skin cleared up and my boobs got slightly bigger too!! All in all great birth control would 10/10 recommend”

beemed February 24, 2014

“I would just like to say if you're looking for a solution for you're acne PLEASE try this. I have been struggling with acne for a few years, I have tried everything from over the counter to prescribed medicine and NOTHING worked. Finally I decided to get on the pill because I had very deep painful cystic acne along my jawline and chin that wouldn't go away. I have been on Sprintec for 2 months now and my skin is 100% clear. Only time I get a pimple is around my period but it is so much more manageable. Trust me this pill is my magic pill.”

Dakota1234 July 8, 2014

“I'm 17 and this is the first method of birth control I have tried, been taking it for three weeks. It has been Amazing! My acne has completely cleared up in all areas (whole face, chest, back) and I have had no bad side effects!”

Mak · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2021

“For a few months on Tri-Sprintec, everything was fine, and then my acne got worse, now I have the worst acne of my life. I never even had pustules when I was in high school. Ironically, I clear up during my period, suggesting that the hormones in these did the complete opposite effect of what I had intended.”

Krissy V · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2014

“I have just completed one pack of the Tri-Sprintec. I was prescribed Ortho but was given Tri-Sprintec due to insurance. I am 30 years old and have not had any major acne in years. The last major outbreak I have had was when I was 24. I would still get the occasion 1-2 acne but it would only occur every several months. This month has been horrible on Tri-Sprintec. I've had at least 20+ acne spots on my face. I've tried to used multiple products to clear it up to no avail. It is all hormonal cystic acne that is mainly concentrated around my mouth area/chin and they all leave scarring. I'm honestly not sure if I can last 3 months on it to see if it will get better for me. I do not normally break out so this terrifies me!”

Athens · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2019

“I decided to try Tri Sprintec after a friend recommended it to me, she said it cleared her acne up miraculously. I started this pill a month ago and I have always had moderate- severe acne ( it used to be worse but gradually got better, never fully went away). This pill made me have acne as bad as I had freshman year. It was so bad back then and I have been absolutely miserable the entire time on this pill. Not only have my emotions been on overdrive but I never want to leave my house. The pimples are large and everywhere on my face, even in places I rarely break out. Please do not try this pill there are so many others you could take.”

ML · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2020

“It’s day 3 for me, on this medication and I have debilitating migraines. I’ve never had a migraine before, this is terrible. I can’t say whether it’s effective or not but I can definitely say it’s not worth the excruciating pain that I’m feeling in my head.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2020

“I was prescribed this Tri-Sprintec birth control for my acne. The first month was wonderful, it got rid of all my acne and evened out my skin tone and for the first time in years I had clear skin. I thought it would be like this for the next month but I was wrong. I’m currently on the second round of pills and my skin broke out horribly with extremely painful cystic acne around my chin, jaw and nose area. It has been like this the entire month, I am about to finish this pack in a couple of days and hoping my skin calms down with the 3rd round of pills. I spoke to my doctor and she recommended finishing the 3rd round of pills to see if my acne calms down to see whether or not to prescribe me to another brand.”

0412 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2018

“I started this pill that was recommend by my gyn as most effective for acne. The first 2 packs were complete opposite for me. I broke out on parts of my face that I never really experienced acne on before. However they weren’t cystic like or big and red like I usually would get on the chin area. At the third pack it got significantly better. I no longer had new breakouts. And now at my fourth pack my scarring has faded for the most part and around the placebo week I get one small breakout but nothing crazy. If you’re just starting this pill and aren’t sure if you should stick it out I’d say give it 3 months as recommended by the experts.”

StarDust12384524 January 8, 2018

“Growing up I've always had sensitive skin and mild acne. In Summer of 2016 I went on vacation and when I came back, I broke out terribly, in October 2016, my doctor prescribed me Ortho Tri Cylen but my insurance covered Tri Sprintec. Because of all of the negative reviews, I was hesitant to try it. I didn't really see any dramatic results until the 7 month mark, my skin started clearing up more and more and in the 8th month I had CLEAR SKIN. Overall with clear skin, bigger boobs and no side effects, I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with Tri Sprintec!! If you're on the edge about taking this pill, give it a shot! You'll never know if you don't try, this could be your miracle!”

ebbd January 29, 2012

“I read a lot of reviews on this product that had me scared to try this pill. BUT one thing I noticed is that the majority of people who were on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo or whatever other product that is the 'name brand' version on this had the most problems with it. Anyway, I am on my 3rd week. I have not experienced any side effects that I could notice, seriously not one. I still feel the same way I did before I got on it. I'm taking this pill to regulate my cycle because it's so irregular and also for acne, which was most likely cause by imbalanced hormones. I haven't broken out since I have been on this pill.”

JCFen November 5, 2013

“I am almost through with my second month pills and I have to say that my acne has gotten worse. I normally have fairly clear skin with occasional small breakouts, but since the birth control my acne has gotten much more common and more large and painful as well. I'm hoping that my body is still getting use to the hormones and will soon get back to normal. Also, my appetite has become a constant issue. My weight has stayed the same so far, but I am eating much more than I used to. Hoping that this is all just adjustments that will get better with time!”

Anonymous December 7, 2013

“I'm 22yrs old and have been dealing with acne since about 13yrs old. I've been on Tri-Sprintec for almost two years now and what a difference. It has to be the best birth control I've ever been on. No gaining weight, mood changes, and my face stays clear even when it is that time of the month. Life changing.”

SG · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2020

“Oh my goodness. I am in tears reading these reviews, finally finding out what’s wrong with me. I stopped breastfeeding about 3 months ago and my skin started to break out from the hormone change, as expected. I called my OB to get back on what I assumed would be my regular BC, Trinessa, but I got this Tris-Sprintec. My face has never been this bad in my entire life. Painful, cystic acne. I’ve gained weight. My mood swings were terrible. I had anxiety through the ROOF. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET ON THIS PILL.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2019

“I switched from the IUD to Tri Sprintec 4 months ago in the hopes of clearing my moderate acne and helping my lower mood. Now I wish I would have stayed on the IUD. I have never in my life had such painful, swollen cystic acne until now. It’s all over my jaw and neck, and that has never happened to me before. At first I thought it was a reaction from switching methods, but I’ve gone through 4 packs and it keeps getting worse. I plan to stop this today after reading other acne horror stories. I’d rather use condoms than refuse to leave the house because I’m so self conscious about my skin. I hate this pill.”

AB · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2019

“This has been the worst birth control pill I have ever been on! Cystic acne all over my cheeks and my acne wasn’t terrible before starting this medication. Do NOT use this BC pill, it will make your acne worse.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 1, 2013

“Tri-sprintec is definitely the best medication I have had for my face. In high school I suffered from awful acne that got worse a week before my period started. My face was also burning so bad that I could hardly wash my face (the main reason why I had so much ance). My gyno prescribed this medication just for controlling the acne. Now I have been on the medication for 5 years and my acne has completely disappeared, and I don't ever remember my last bad pimple!”

uhyuhyuh June 14, 2021

“I experienced a lot of nausea if I don't take this at 10 PM. If I take it at 10pm I am good as I sleep thru all the nausea and stuff. My skin is noticeably clearer from acne. All the doxycycline and other cycline antibiotics weren't this good for my skin.”

ches · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 22, 2020

“I was prescribed this Tri-Sprintec brand of birth control to control my acne about 18 months ago but I also use it for pregnancy prevention. I can honestly say that my acne has improved and I only experience minor breakouts during my menstrual cycle. However, in the last 2 months I have been experiencing extreme nausea and have been throwing up at night or in the morning for no apparent reason. I discussed this with my doctor and they seemed to believe it was unrelated to the birth control but on the the pill free week I did not have these symptoms so I am suspicious but can’t confirm. These symptoms did not occur until about a year after taking this pill which is why my doctor doubted the sudden new symptoms being related. Up until this point I have been very pleased with this medication and it has made my periods short and mild which has been really nice and I didn’t notice any weight gain or mood swings like I have when taking other medications.”

Kayleigh · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 27, 2020

“I switched to this Tri-Sprintec birth control from Mylan from a doctor recommendation. After taking it for 7 months, my skin has gotten much worst before my period, where I get painful cysts all over my chin and T-Zone(something that hasn’t happened since my teen years!). I was hoping it would clear up the few whiteheads I get before my period, but it only made it worse :( But other than that, it kept me pregnant-free and I had no other side effects.”

Evie Eden · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 30, 2015

“PLEASE READ THIS: Tri-Sprintec will cause an initial breakout for the first 3-4 months. DON'T BE DISCOURAGED! After this period, your skin will clear up like magic! I'm 20 years old and have been on tri-sprintec on/off since I was 18. I've had severe acne since I was about 12/13 years old and have seen multiple dermatologists since then. Nothing worked until I went to my gyno to get on birth control and she recommended tri-sprintec bc it helped with acne. At first, I felt mild nausea and severe depression/mood swings/etc. but as time passed this went away. Each time I got back on the medication, I would have a terrible break out period but it's completely worth it. This is a great pill and I've never had problems w it.”

Sophie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2019

“I was forced to switch over to Tri-Sprintec because they discontinued Tri-Nessa Lo. I have never had worse acne in my entire life. If I had read these reviews previously I would not have taken it. The pharmacy said it was "pretty much the same." It is not, I should have been put on the Tri-LO-Sprintec. there are two different strengths of the Tri-pills, the low and the higher one. they changed me to the higher one. This medication has caused my depression and anxiety to spike in extremes. I have never experienced cystic acne until now. Full coverage makeup cannot hide the embarrassment I've been feeling in public for months. I've taken it for 3 months and it's been 3 days since I officially stopped.”

Learn more about Acne