User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate to treat Endometriosis

Also known as: Sprintec, Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Tri-Sprintec, Mili, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri Femynor, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Mili, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Femynor, Previfem, Tri-VyLibra VyLibra Tri-Vylibra Lo Tri-Mili Nymyo Tri-Nymyo …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 69 ratings for the treatment of Endometriosis. 41% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

5.3/10 average rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

K April 1, 2020

Tri-Lo-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Tri-Lo-Sprintec was my first birth control and I was prescribed it by my derm to help with my acne and I almost had a panic attack after reading these reviews on my first day. I actually had a good experience and I had been on it for exactly one year. I struggle with mental illness so I was afraid that I'd feel worse but that didn't happen; In fact, I felt so much better after a week. I wasn't having mood swings and my emotions levelled out. It helped my cystic acne. My skin is clear at this point, with two small blemishes a month. I didn't gain any weight, nor experience nausea or loss of appetite. I have an autoimmune thing so I was surprised that my body didn't react badly. I actually felt so normal that I didn't realize how good it had been doing for me, so when my prescription expired a month ago and I was without, my body went crazy. This last period was the worst, it was so bad I couldn't leave the bed. If you're on the fence give it a try.”

Goth&Glitter · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2019

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “So I’ve been reading through this site and I’ve seen A LOT of negative reviews on Estarylla birth control, and I think it’s important to note that everyone responds to medicine differently. However I have been taking Estarylla for about a month now and I have had almost no problems. My gyno recommended I try this BC to relieve my pain from my endometriosis and so far it’s worked great. I don’t really cramp anymore, my cystic acne has cleared up, and it hasn’t affected my moods at all. It doesn’t even affect the meds I take for my PTSD and Severe Panic Disorder. The downsides to this BC are the insomnia and the first period I had was heavier than normal. Anyways I hope someone finds this review helpful in their research, but ALWAYS TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY NEW MEDICATION OF ANY KIND. Best of luck loves!”

Anonymous April 17, 2008

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have been taking this OC for 4 years. I have mild endometriosis with occasional pain and/or discomfort. This pill is amazing. It helps decrease the level of pain. I have had fewer mood swings. I have less bleeding during menstruation. I highly recommend this oral contraceptive to any woman who has had trouble with other OCs.”

Dahlia · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

Mono-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have been taking this medication for 4 months now and have been bleeding heavy for 4 months straight with severe cramping. I have been having severe mood swings and increased depression. This was prescribed to help slow down the process of my endometriosis returning and my bleeding has been heavier than before my surgery.”

Diana February 3, 2020

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Sprintec by far, is the best birth control I’ve ever been. Started on Microgestin, and by the time I reached 30, is when I started having hormonal issues, and eventually diagnosed with endometriosis. I had surgery performed, and my doctor encouraged me to get back on bc to keep my hormones regulated, so naturally I went back to Microgestin. This time however, it didn’t help like it used to. Estrogen levels remained low, bad cramping and still no periods, so I went the DIM route. That did nothing, so I decided to chance it and try Sprintec after reading info and reviews and I gotta say after a few months, my body feels like it did 10 years ago. My hormone levels are even and I actually welcome the breast soreness cause that’s I know I have estrogen again! It has given me a regular period, and my energy and appetite feels great. I’m glad I trusted my gut and decided to try this brand, cause after years of trial and error, I’ve finally found the right birth control. :)”

Anonymous January 29, 2011

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have been on Sprintec for a month and a half so far. Let me say that I have tried over 15 kinds of birth control in the last 10 years and usually have horrible side effects. So far, I have had none from Sprintec. In fact, even though I have severe endometriosis, I was put on Sprintec due to untreatable acne and oily skin which had developed only in the last year. After being on Sprintec for 2 weeks only, my skin had cleared up. I had been seeing 2 dermatologists for the last year who tried many different medications and nothing worked to clear up the acne! Also, I had been a little depressed (also due to some hormone sensitivity) for the last couple of months and that has cleared up very quickly as well. So far, so good!”

OTC Lo Victim September 22, 2010

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Obviously, everyone's body has different chemistry and because of our genetic predispositions, diet, and environment, study samples of women may all react differently to a certain oral contraceptive. Personally, I found Ortho Tri Cylen Lo to be effective for the first two months, and then I experienced a horrid yeast infection, breakthrough bleeding, and abdominal pains. I took my pills at the same exact time every night with the same amount of water. My sex drive disappeared, and I felt terribly bloated. The absolute worst was my unstable mood. I was making snappy comments and feeling suicidal.”

AC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 1, 2020

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have been taking Sprintec for about 7-8 months now. I started on the non-generic brand and seemed fine but just recently 3 weeks ago started the generic brand. It has been TERRIBLE! I have been to the ER three times this past week with the WORST stomach cramps ( not like period cramps ) more like all over abdominal muscle cramps. I am completely stopping this medication!”

kat June 13, 2020

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Remember everyone’s body reacts differently to birth controls so don’t let the reviews scare you from trying. I decided to take Sprintec after my friend was on it & had no problems. The first month I had bad nausea & my cramps were worse than before. But after the 2nd pack the cramps were better & I had less bleeding then. Besides the 1st couple of weeks I experienced no mood changes. I have normally acne prone skin & get breakouts before my period. But on the 2nd month of Sprintec I had the worst cystic acne I have ever had in my life. My face was completely covered in painful breakouts. I decided to stay on it till I completed my 3rd pack to see if my body was adjusting to it. But after the 3rd month it continued to breakout. My doctor decided I should stop taking it. After stopping taking it my skin drastically cleared up. It took 3 months off of it to 100% clear up my skin to normal. So if you have acne prone skin or get breakouts around your period I would not recommend this.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2017

Ortho Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “My doctor put me on Ortho Cyclen to help with pain outside of my period caused by undiagnosed Endometriosis. It has helped so much! I haven't been in the hospital for three months, and the pain is pretty much gone. My cramps are still there but not nearly as bad as they were before. Since being on it I have noticed weight loss rather than weight gain.”

Ling · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 11, 2019

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “My dr put me on Sprintec because my periods were all over the place and I'd cramp so bad to the point of vomiting & fainting. I couldn't walk for the first 3 days of my period. I've been on it since July of 2018. My first month was horrible bleeding constantly, my cramps were lasting longer than 3 days & almost an entire month. I had hot flashes that were bad & so was the nausea. But here is the thing; take it at night at the same time, every single night. As soon as I started that everything was fine after the first month. My depression & mood swings disappeared I was eating great I went from 75 to 106 in the first 2 months but after my weight went back to the normal 98lbs. Cleared up my skin amazingly & my hair grew about a foot within the first 5 months of taking it. But sadly after almost a year & a half my dr is switching me to Junel Fe before a surgery to see if it’ll help with my cyst on my uterus & ovaries that keep erupting. Hoping that I can switch back to Sprintec after recovery from surgery.”

Snip snop · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2019

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I began using the Estarylla for heavy periods and cramping. After a month, my periods got lighter, the cramping became manageable, and I even felt better overall. I had no side effects whatsoever and had better results on this than I did Sprintec. I would definitely recommend this medication!”

Anonymous August 31, 2009

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was on Sprintec for only 3 weeks in an attempt to treat endometriosis. I had to discontinue this medication because I gained five pounds of retained water weight over-night during my 2nd week. I woke up and my fingers and ankles were swollen. I started getting numbness and painful "pins and needles" in my right arm and right leg. I also was so tired, all I wanted to do was sleep. Co-workers even commented how tired I looked. I had mood swings and had periods where I was upset or wanted to cry over minor issues and couldn't understand why, yet I couldn't control it. The hormonal fluctuations played havoc with my emotional state.”

Alison · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 9, 2021

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I’ll start by saying that I was on depo injection for 8 years without any issue. I quit taking it because I wanted my periods to be regular again. My periods have always been extremely rough but about a year ago I started having cramps almost constantly. This went on for months before my doctor prescribed me Tri-sprintec. It got rid of the pain & my periods were light & short which I loved, but everything else got out of control. The first month was fine, but after that things started going downhill. I am not an emotional person & I found myself crying for no reason & so depressed that I barely got out of bed. It was a huge strain on my partner & I. I also had weighed 125 pounds my entire life & have now gained 40 pounds in the past year that seemed impossible to get rid of, even while eating healthy & exercising. I quit taking this a few weeks ago & already feel a million times better. Hoping that I can lose all this weight & start feeling normal again.”

Megster April 29, 2009

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I found out I had endometriosis a few months ago and before I went on birth control(Sprintec) I would be in such pain I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. It was horrible. When my OBGYN put me on this birth control the pain stopped and I was able to do a lot of things I wasn't able to before.”

Owlgirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2017

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I've been taking Sprintec for 8 months. I take it continuously, skipping the placebo pills. It has helped my endometriosis, but the break through bleeding is non-stop. It's awful. I'm swapping to another pill to see if I can get the bleeding to lessen. I'm sad it didn't work to prevent periods, because it didn't cause any nausea or weight gain. Other pills I've tried in the past caused both! Fingers crossed for the next one...”

HAley Bailey · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2015

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I love this pill. I still have cramps but they went from lasting 3 days to just one. I go through way less tampons and pads. I can make it through the night without bleeding everywhere. The best benefit of all: I am no longer moody. I feel like myself all month long. I am in LOVE with sprintec”

Beep June 12, 2020

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was on Mononessa on and off for about 10 years. It got discontinued, they gave me Estarylla. I refused to take it, but they assured me it's "exactly the same". I have endometriosis, and I can confirm that this has helped those issues. I don't get bad cramping, heavy bleeding, back pain, or leg pain anymore. However, since starting it about 6 months ago, the side effects have been getting increasingly worse rather than better. The side effects I have are: migraines, bloating, extremely bad gas, diarrhea, breakthrough bleeding, hair loss, acne, sensitive vision, loss of appetite, sore breasts, and probably more that I can't think of. I would say the worst out of all of these is migraines. If you have a history with migraines, I would not recommend you take this. I do not have a history with regular migraines, but this has caused them for me. I do have a history with ocular migraines though, and I went from getting 1-2 every year, to getting at least one every month.”

Ehill May 30, 2020

Tri-Lo-Marzia (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Was on this Tri-Lo-Marzia BC for 4 months for chronic pelvic pain/ endo . Helped a little with pain but I had awful awful mental side effects. I actually started to hate my boyfriend, became extremely paranoid and anxious, and woke up in such a bad mental fog every morning. I was spacey and couldn’t focus. Had feelings of such hate, anger and fatigue throughout the day. Went on .35 progestin and wow. Such a difference. Wake up feeling calm, relaxed and loving again. Still a little tired here and there but no anxiety I have felt so relaxed on this BC.”

Rana · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 21, 2019

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have been on Sprintec for almost 9 months now. My doctor prescribed it because I had abnormal periods with non-stop vomiting, serious IBS like symptoms with blood in my stool, and heavy bleeding. She says that most probably I have endometriosis. Every month, for at least a week, my life became awful. I had to take at least two days off work per month. I also have fibroids with a history of Myomectomy . Sprintec improved my life immensely. Now, I do not experience nausea and intenstinal issues as often as before and I do not have to take days off work any more. The problem is that I have been on my period for two months now. Not even a normal day in between on which I don't have to wear a pad. The bleeding does not stop and it is getting heavier and heavier. Last night I experienced huge blood clots and cramps. I have also gained weight and have headaches all the time. I am so disappointed. I can't go back to my life before Sprintec but now life is no fun either.”

HALEYjo4578 October 28, 2014

Ortho Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have only been on this for a few weeks after switching from Lo loestrin. So far no mood changes which has been great because that was one of my biggest issues! No cramping or abnormal bleeding. So far I am extremely pleased with Ortho Cyclen.”

itworksforme · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2014

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I had an absence of periods for 6 months, I'd be lucky to get one period a year. I thought something was really wrong with me and I was freaked out. Luckily I did a 10-day hormone therapy thing and then got put on birth control. You will also feel crappy the day after you take your first pill. It's normal, your body isn't used to it so you will feel crappy. I had such a bad headache that I had to leave work early. But besides that, Sprintec has been great for me! I have a period at the end of every month, for some reason it's the THURSDAY I start the white pills. The only side effect I've had is a yeast infection because my body wasn't used to the increase in estrogen.”

Anonymous February 21, 2009

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have endometriosis and I've struggled for years to find a birth control pill that would help with the pain and irregular/heavy bleeding. I even tried the shot, which was disastrous. Tri-Sprintec, while it doesn't completely take away my symptoms, is the best that I've found for me. So, until they find a better pill, this is my choice for oral contraceptives.”

S2015 February 5, 2015

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “The excruciating pain I had been experiencing with my periods, went away almost instantly with Sprintec, but I did have (painless) breakthrough bleeding that hasn't let up so I'm trying a different brand.”

Anonymous August 24, 2011

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Tri-Sprintec has worked so well for me. I have been on it for two years now. It has gotten rid of my horrific cramps, cleared up my skin, shortened my period from 7 to now 4 days, gave me larger breasts, and I have even lost weight without changing my diet or exercise. The first pack I had lots of headaches but they went away after the second pack. I recommend this to anyone.”

Learn more about Endometriosis