User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin

Also known as: Ortho Evra, Xulane

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin.

Birth Control
6.9

Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin reviews 6.9 543 reviews

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This patch sucks!!!! I used it for one month, and said screw it. My side effects just weren’t worth it. First and foremost. I’m 25. and have had to try several b.c to see if my body would like it. The first negative side effect was the nausea. I put the first patch on and that night I had vomiting, severe headache - not good. I pushed through the puking and finished my 3rd week with severe anxiety attacks, panic attacks and depression. I knew this wasn’t me and that it wasn’t normal. It wasn’t my stress causing this but I was so scared having these attacks of shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat I went to the ER my heart was fine. I high blood pressure upon arrival. DON'T USE THIS PATCH!!!"

25inOR January 12, 2018

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This patch almost killed me"

Tiff88 January 5, 2018

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I haven't been on birth control since my high school early 20s and since I'm super fertile I had to get on something at 37 since I'm avoiding tying my tubes. So far since using this for almost 6 months its been pretty ok. Pros perky boobs and no pregnancies. Cons longer "light" cycles and anxiety attacks (which were not an issue ever in my life). I'm a little more forgetful/less focused at times as well. Debating on getting off to really see how my body is without it again. I would definitely recommend it if you HAVE to have birth control."

hotmom37 January 2, 2018

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have used this form of birth control and it has been really helpful at controlling my periods. I have dysmenorrhea, and it has really helped my terrible cramps. I don't have any side effects, other than at week 3, I always get cramps. They are painful in my pelvis and anywhere near my genitals, my back, and/or my abdomen. The patch itself would begin to peel or roll up, and even start to roll up on my skin. It has never come off of my skin, and it has been in the water many times. I have a good schedule, and take it on and off weekly at the same time. I still don't understand why I get cramps before my period, but I have always had issues with other birth controls when it came to spotting and not being strong enough for me."

Anonymousjas December 31, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I am on my first month of this patch, I am about to take it off in a couple of days for my patch-free week and wow. I was expecting headaches, nausea, a lot of issues to be honest as I suffer almost daily with chronic headaches. Before I was taking an ultra low dose pill called Lutera which they have now discontinued. This patch has a much higher dosage of hormones than what I was used to so I expected side effects. I've had none to the point I wondered if it was working! I actually feel happier on this patch, my headaches have actually improved, I seem to have more energy too. The only thing I've noticed is that I get tiny pimples UNDER the patch when I've taken it off, which is very minor. Love this patch so far. Hope it continues!"

Chrelnka (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2017

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have PMDD and needed my hormones to be balanced. My mood was atrocious and it had almost ruined my marriage. I've used Celexa 40mg which was awesome however I was unable to have an orgasm. This was very frustrating for both my husband and myself. So my psychiatrist advised me to get off of Celexa after we tried a few other things with Celexa that didn't work. I was on Xulane for 3 months and loved it. The first few weeks I would get a little stomach ache and feeling of nausea but it only lasted for a couple of hours per day. Both were very bearable. My appetite deceased as well. The good thing is I would only eat when I was hungry no more emotional eating. "

Xulane vs Ortho Evra & PMDD (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I was on the patch when I was 16 with no problems, so I decided to try it again at 25. Within a week my entire butt-cheek was numb, that was the end of it for me."

Meltarthegray (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I was once on the ORTHO EVRA patch which was a dream option for me. This med they call Xulane gives me a HORRIBLE, I mean H O R R I B L E rash, presumably from the adhesive. When you scratch from the uncontrollable itch, you risk micro lacerations that this glue enters your skin and then suddenly the rash turns into a full-blown allergic reaction that is unbearably burning, itching, and even aching. Yes, ACHING. Return the ORTHO EVRA PATCH ASAP!"

zeldeenee (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2017

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I been on evra patch for a year now, no specific mood swings no spotting, normal periods as 7 days, period only starts on 3rd day after removing patch and overlap by 3 days! Breasts have grown I might say a cup size. Some of periods I had very bad back pain some I don't even feel ( so I don't think is anything to do with patch) I have not gained much weight and I think it's nothing to do with patch. If I eat like pig I get fat if and if I cut down on carbs I slim down."

Lucy12356 November 24, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've tried the Xulane patch before in the past for about 2 years and plan on starting it again within the next few weeks. It did an amazing job keeping me from getting pregnant. I never had any issues with the patch coming off. I did experience some issues with vaginal dryness and low libido (which is a possible side effect for any hormonal birth control). I also had the worst PMS. I was a straight up B word. The reason I stopped is because I wanted to give my body a chance to get back to normal. I've been off for almost a year now, but now I'm concerned about getting pregnant so I have to get back on something. This birth control has the least amount of side effects for me so that's why I'm going back with it."

Love Yourself (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Haven’t even had it on for a full month, but it’s not to bad. The first week I put it on my hip bone/ pelvic area. Had no problems other than very little cramping here and there. Although I do get moody some days, other days I’m fine. It’s hit and miss. So that kinda sucks for my bf cuz I feel bad for snapping at him. But The second week I put it on my butt right before bed. The next day I was EXTREMELY nauseous and got the worst migraine ever and even felt feverish. I moved it back to my hip, but on the opposite side as before and the symptoms went away after a few hours. Yay! I would recommend maybe staying away from meaty parts of the body. I think it might absorb it a lot more, is. But I’ve heard from other moms that said the same thing"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've tried two different types of birth control pills, each for almost 8 months. I constantly forgot to take the pills, and it just didn't work for me. My doctor recommended I switched to the shot. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. 0/10 recommend from me. But then my doctor and I talked about other medications I can take, and it was between the IUD and the patch. Before agreeing to take the patch, I was told that it may fall off when I was in the water, and there may be side effects. When I started this, I had absolutely no side effects whatsoever. I soon skipped a week, and I messed up the patch cycle, but no side effects. I didn't think it would work, but I've been on this for almost 7 months, and I love it"

Kkkkkkghtyus November 9, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I had a really bad experience with xulane and have since switched to the pill. For the first month or so, I didn’t have any dermal reactions to the patch that I noticed. I found them impossible to keep in one place on my body however, and they always slipped around or started coming away from the skin at the edges. I also noticed cramping, and never felt secure that my birth control was effective. For some reason, the worst side effects started occurring after about a month of using it. As soon as I scratched anywhere the patch was located the skin would become red, puff up and secrete a clear fluid. It was gross and left dark marks on my body which are still here a year after. The patches would then come off because of the reaction."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I am 23 now, and I have been on Xulane for almost 2 years now. I have had no noticeable change in moods, sex drive is normal (there seems to be a spike towards the end of the third week, but no complaints there), and I've had basically no issues with it. The ONLY way I got side effects was if I strayed from the schedule either by accident or I lost a patch and had to go without. Ortho Evra - the other 'brand' on the other hand.. did NOT agree with me. I had horrible nausea starting up every week I put the patch on, and slowly got accustomed to it after months of nausea. I would clarify with your doc which one they would give you. Also, since all bodies are different, maybe one won't work with you but the other will. Who knows."

Anonymous October 12, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Been on xulane for 7 months, most of the time I'm chill, no mood swings, periods are lighter, I used to have awful cramps now I only have minimal cramping on the first day of my period. I love it, only thing that's annoying is the occasional headaches and nausea. The nausea is super annoying cause I love to eat, other than that I recommend it!"

Anonymous October 9, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I’ve just started using the patch and other then getting some very minor headaches it’s been great!! I can have unprotected sex, though we still use condoms to be safe, and not worry about getting pregnant again!! Everyone’s body is different!! The only other thing that I’ve experienced with the patch is an increase in my sex drive. But to any girl or woman looking to use a method of BC I recommend the Xulane patch!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I tried xulane for 2 months. I started getting headaches on left side of my head. Dizziness and worst depression. Everyday I felt depressed after 3 weeks of using it. I was in a bad mood most of the time. I finally took it off a week ago and my headaches are less. . Didn't get a normal period I don't recommend this patch. I am no longer using birth control all of them have some side effects sadly."

Bellaybella (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This was my first birth control I’ve tried, the first 24 hours was fine, but than I noticed my arm was sore where the patch was, that lasted about 2 days and than went away. I had the patch on for 1 week and was extremely nauseous to the point where I couldn’t eat anything, but also felt like I was starving. Skin is a little irritated where the patch was, the nausea was excruciating and I ended up just taking the patch off. Couple hours later I already felt better."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Currently on this patch . I'm on my 3rd patch . Patch placement was on the buttocks . The first week got nausea and cramps . 2nd week less nausea more cramping . 3rd week (now) , extreme bloating after eating . Was recently diagnosed with gastritis so I don't know if that has something with it? Gonna give it one more month ."

SaiNaii October 3, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This patch has been bullet proof... Had unprotected sex for 3 years and it got the job done. I first put it on my butt, but I got morning sickness at 3 am every day on the dot. I moved the patch to my shoulder and no more sickness. I do spot during periods and bleed after sex. I get very light periods (and they were very heavy before the patch). The worst part? I get extreme ovarian pain in the same ovary monthly to the point where it hurts to cough, sneeze, lift myself up and walk. Been to several doctors and they didn't find anything on my ovary but it feels the size of a golf ball in me. Aside from the ovarian pain, I love it. I feel safe on it. If you get sick, try placing the patch somewhere else."

Katiemaczzz (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2017

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the ortho evra for 2 weeks I've noticed that my boobs are getting very sore and I get headaches every now and then and I've gained weight , but I haven't bled since I've had the patch on I will up date as I notice anything else. Question if anyone can answer, for some reason it maybe how I sleep but my patch gets a crease in it does that make it any less effective ? As I put mine on my thigh??"

Maae September 29, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "So I started this birth control because my periods are so bad, I bleed a lot. This birth control made me extremely sick, I had to go to the hospital. On the first day, I threw up and by the next day, I woke up sicker than a dog, it was terrible. I was having trouble breathing, my chest hurt, I was throwing continuously, my breast ached very much, and my legs went numb, along with my arms. This medication has 60% more estrogen than birth control pills. I would not recommend this medication if you have any type of allergy."

Myla Klomp (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2017

For Birth Control: "Doctor proscribed this for my period (heavy flow and bad cramps) Started on a Wednesday afternoon and that night I already had stomach aches, nausea and an anxiety attack trying to sleep. Slept maybe 4 hours that night. From then to Friday had these same side effects and they seemed to switch intensities each day such as more anxiety on the 3rd day but the day before worse stomach aches. These two days I had to miss school activities and even leave school early from these side effects. Saturday the patch folded and I had to take it off. Going to try again on a Friday this time, and hope the side effects fade with time. The only good thing I experienced was that I'd be tired enough to sleep at a good time and not stay up too late."

Jasper109 (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I used xulane for 3 weeks. On day 4 using it, I passed out/fainted at work. I have also experienced nausea, cramps, mood swings and a headache that was so bad I threw up."

S..... September 21, 2017

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This is my first time using birth control ever and the patch was my first choice because my step mama has it and she recommend that I use it cause she didn't want me to forget to take the pill ever day. So let me tell y'all the patch is good. Sometimes I used to have bad headache a lot when I got on the patch. My headaches got worse to the point I didn't want to open my eyes. I never had bad cramps I had them but they wasn't terrible, they were ok. When I started the patch my cramps got so bad I would cry myself to sleep I get back pains and a lot more than now when I'm cramping. I have mood swing all the time now I feel very weak sometimes and nauseous most of the time. I have no skin problems. The patch is ok sometimes I forget I'm wearing it."

Anonymous September 18, 2017