User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin

Also known as: Ortho Evra, Xulane

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin.

Birth Control 509 reviews 305 medications

6.9
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin reviews 509 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on xulane for 3 months now and I love it. Before I started my periods were bad with headaches, cramping, and heavy flow, after the first month my periods dwindled and now I only need light pads, I rarely cramp and have maybe one headache. However I do get some redness and irritation on my skin, trouble with the patch adhering to my skin and also my eating habits have changed dramatically, sometimes I'll be starving and when I see what I'm about to eat I lose any urge to eat. I would recommend it but be sure you remain aware of your body."

Happyfroggy July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been using this since Tuesday. Tuesday I put it on & I noticed it started falling off easy so I put a new one & when I put them on I noticed I have a weird hurting feeling on my arms. I waited & I called planned parent hood they called me today & said it was ok to put another one on & I did on my pelvic & again this one seemed to not stick & I been having pain in my chest & pelvic area & I have a sore throat & stuffed up nose."

Mg1221 July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "...and I was thinking I'm imagining stuff. I just started my 7th month on the patch. The last 5 days I worked myself sick thinking about whether I had a brain tumor and dying on my little girls, couldn't snap out of the mood. From the beginning of taking these I had those headaches (progressively worsening...) and it worried me a lot. I was feeling sick but not being able to puke, horrible loss of balance and vertigo (full wack with eyeballs movement), weight gain (but I blamed that on the fact that I stopped running due to muscle pain and balance probs). The patches left red marks and rash, itchy skin (all over) and little cough with no reason... Lately the anxiety problems are my biggest scare. I booked the GP. The EVRA is going bye bye... One pro - no pregnancy."

Annie78UK (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the patch for about 2 years now. I honestly love it. Only issue I have been noticing lately is acne. I have never had acne issues up until now and I'm 21. Have any of you ladies had acne issues while on this patch and if so what did you do? Any tips would help because this makes me sad. :( but other then that it's easy going."

Caiiii July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This was my first ever birth control method that I tried, I chose it because I wanted something that I could hide from my parents. I was on it for about 3-4 months and never had a problem with it besides maybe being a little moody. About a year ago, I went to see an OBGYN and got a new method, just to try my options. I chose the Nuva Ring, and it was the worst choice I have ever made! I got headaches about two hours after putting my first one in, as well as dizziness and nausea, but I told myself to push through and the side effects would subside. They didn't. I was standing in the middle of a huge, crowded store when I couldn't feel my legs and arms, and was told to go to the emergency room where I was told the Ring gave me Toxic Shock."

Sad I chose another method June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Xulane was my first experience with birth control. I had been on the patch for a little over 3 months. I experienced many common (and rare) side effects. However, they either dissipated within a couple of weeks or became manageable. This last month though I began to heavily battle depression to the point where I was very anxious and having suicidal thoughts. I also used to have flawless, clear skin. Pimples began to cover my face even with a super diligent skincare routine. My depression did not seem to subside either. As soon as I got the ok from my doctor to take the patch off my skin began to rapidly bounce back along with my mental health. It's been a week since being off Xulane and it's such a relief to be rid of it!"

0072017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "The patch worked fine until this week. Just recently the patch would start to come off my skin very early. My most recent patch came off 4 days early. What was under the patch is what I am warning you about. My skin was blistered with bubbles, and my skin was raised almost half an inch. It looked as if my skin had a chemical burn from the medication. I slept with some gauze on it and I cleaned it with peroxide. The next day the skin was an open wound and bright red like a burn. It is the most painful thing I've felt in a while. The worst part was being rushed to the ER due to a possible blood clot in the lung (horrible chest pains), had CT scans, blood drawn, and IVs placed all over my body. Before this, I had experienced constant fatigue"

EllRo9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Within the first 2 months on the patch, I gain gained 10 lbs. I was also on the whole 30 during the time. Most of it is water weight. During month 3 iIlost 4 of the 10 lbs. I recently went off the patch. I was constantly dizzy, nauseas, and extremely tired. My mind felt like it was in a fog. I also end up with to ovarian cyst while on the product."

xulane user June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on this for over 8 years. It was my first and only birth control brand. Made my breasts swell and hurt for a couple months and then that completely went away. I had no other side effects. By this point my periods are so light I will do 4-6 patches before removing it (yes, you can do this with the patch!). I highly recommend this. I put the patch on a butt cheek and alternate sides each week."

Brooke1282 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been using the patch for 6 years now, I have only been off once ( I buy it when I'm in Mexico since is $100 at USA and I can get 1 month for $35-40 ) So one time I ran out and had to be off for 2 months. Over all I love it, easy to remember, no side effects, haven't got pregnant in 6 years I have been married. My periods since I am on it are regular and I know exactly when is coming. Before it they used to be long and heavy, with a lot of cramps, now they last 3-4 days max with only 1-2 days of regular bleeding and the rest is light. I only get 1 day of cramps (the heaviest day) and I get sensitive (not sore) and heavy boobs before my period comes. When I did came off I was so sensitive, I had sore boobs and my body was crazy."

Patch Lover (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Before I got on the patch I was on the birth control shot. The shot was horrible and it made me gain 20 lbs and I had horrible mood swings that almost cost me my relationship with my boyfriend as well as the extreme depression issues it gave me. Changing to the patch was the best discussion I could have ever made. I'm much more calm and back to my normal self. This product is the real deal."

Amazing saved my relationship (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Put this on yesterday at 12:00pm on the right side of my hips, and my right leg subsequently felt funny ever since - like it was heavy and cramping, but I had chalked it up to my anxiety disorder playing tricks on me. Then last night while changing my clothes I found a new bruise on that same leg that was giving me trouble. I called my prescriber and yanked the damn thing right off my skin. Leg still feels funny but I have no other symptoms other than that since; but I was very tired, getting cramps, and would get hot flashes on and off. Needless to say it's still a mystery with what's happening to me, but I've been scared off this BC for good."

LegWarrior June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This is my first go with birth control; I have been on the patch for 6 months and I am not that impressed. It has resolved some issues but also made some things worse. Before Xulane, I would get debilitating vomiting during my period but cramps were scarce. It was heavy and I would often get headaches. Now that I'm on Xulane, I haven't thrown up at all and headaches are scarce but cramps have been made so much worse. It's to the point where I wake up in the middle of the night because it hurts so bad and I can't just sleep it off. On top of that, I'm getting two periods - very heavy "spotting" a week before it's supposed to come and then another period the week I'm off the patch. I chose the patch because I have a hard time swallowing pills, but I think I'm going to have to reconsider this method and probably switch to pills."

Aeri (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been using xulane for about 2 to 3 months maybe longer I have not gotten pregnant though my boyfriend is fixed next went back into get checked so there is a slim chance. I used the nuva ring before I liked it to a point uncomfortable to me and my boyfriend so I switched to the patch at first it was fine then after a month or less of using it I noticed intense mood swings like bi polar mood swings wanting go off on people for stupid little things being straight up mean to my man and not caring then feel terrible after. I have no energy at all always tired I hate myself like this it's not me I'm going to stop this birth control I hate these bad mood swings"

Kayshipp May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the patch for months now at first there was stomach pain and nausea which I still have some times but now there weight gain , I'm fatigue 24/7 and my menstrual cramps are 10000× worst then they were before."

Sunsoutbunsout (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I started using Depovera as my birthcontrol and I was in it for 2 years plus. I had no side effects until I gained so much weight the last year I was 120 lbs and now I'm at 150 lbs . I will never go back to it. So I switched to the patch and same I have no bad side effects yet. I've been on it for over a year, my weight has gone down I'm down to 140lbs which is hard to loose weight for us girls . My breast sized increased , my thighs and butt increased good plus :) I've never had problem with acne with neither birth controls . My mood swings are bad here and there . I love how my period is regular now and I know when it's coming. p"

BrianaChinaG May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have to say, I was TERRIFIED of starting the patch after reading so many awful reviews. Over the past 8 years I've been on 4 different combined pills, all of which eventually made me nauseous and caused me to vomit soon after taking them. So I was really worried the patch would have similar side effects. I'm now 6 weeks in (so have had my first break) and have to say it's great. I haven't had any problems with it coming off or peeling and I barely notice it! Obvious negatives are how noticeable it is and the yucky stickiness you get around the edge, but these are bearable. The only side effect that's bothered me is how sore my boobs are all the time - I can barely put my bra on! Upside though.. they've grown! Overall, good easy method"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I recently switched from birth control pills to the patch. I wanted to be on something that I didn't have to remember to take every day and because I have PCOS the patch was my next best option. I was a little weary of it because I looked up reviews and saw that many women got ill within the first couple of days of being on it. Luckily I haven't had that experience. I think that the main reason is because I went from a pill with very similar to the patch. I didn't give the patch a 10 rating because it can get a little itchy (it feels like you're wearing a bandaid) and sometimes it makes me nervous that it's going to fall off. Overall no side effects so far and I'm so glad that I'm not having to remember to take the pill every day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been using xulane for the past three years. Within the last 3 months, I have been itching under the patch like crazy. I get these painful bumps underneath them and it keeps a fever while the patch is on it. I figured maybe it was a bad batch and go away. Then the patches started falling off way too easy. I got a hold of my pharmacist who treated me like I didn't know what I was doing and said that only the manufacturer can help me. Xulane I absolutely loved your patch until now. But I have to change to another product because whatever you did to the adhesive is tearing up my skin and is SOOO itchy you feel crazy."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I would not recommend this birth control to my worse enemy. I have had terrible headaches, arm and stomach pain, and nausea. I stopped the patch as soon as I started throwing up while driving in my car. I am thinking about going to the ER, it has been almost 2 hours and I still can not stop vomiting. This is the worse pain ever. I regret ever using this patch. It is worse than the pills."

Sick to my stomach (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Placing patch on butt instead of other areas may possibly help with nausea."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "First birth control is been on so I had high expectations and they were completely crushed. I've never had headaches in my life but had constant terrible headaches on the patch and awful mood swings. Was constantly emotional and crying and just generally felt awful all around. Within the first 2 weeks I had already started rapidly gaining weight and it didn't slow down at all, within the short span I had taken the patch (3 months?) I went from maintaining around 110-113lbs to maintaining 123-125lbs and not being able to lose weight AT ALL!!! I was worried about weight gain, stuck to my pre bc regime and still gained the weight. Worst part is that even 8 months after I got off the medication I still haven't been able to lose the weight gained"

P!ssed off (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I was on xulane for over a year, when I first started the patch I felt nauseous and had a headache the first 3-5 days. Then after it stopped and I had NO side effects whatsoever. My period has always been 7 days so it didn't fix my long abnormal period but it did fix my acne and it did not effect my mood. Also, I never got pregnant !! This birth control was awesome I only had to change it once a week, the only con was where to place it, during the summer I had to hide it on my buttock and sometimes it would show when my bikini would rise up. and in the winter it was on my arm and sometimes I would forget and thats how my parents found out I was on birth control... also it comes off easily if you take daily baths or swim in the ocean."

itsmecristyyyy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have used this product for the past three years without issue until the last few weeks when the site where patch was applied became itchy. As time has gone by in few weeks time, the skin underneath gets extremely itchy. I removed it and the skin underneath was left raised, purple, and with peeling skin. It has been 2 weeks and my skin is still purple and the skin has not healed. I tried it on my back and yet again the same thing. I have a red square with leatherlike skin. I ad to call my obgyn and ask to be changed to another product. I can't walk around with damaged skin. Hoping that eventually the skin will heal. Horrible product!"

andee_1976 May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "There are so many women who have trouble that I thought I would write a review. I have tried many birth control options over the years. and ALWAYS got very sick. I recently tried loestrein and was really sick. So my doctor gave me the patch. I had tried ortho eva. Years ago. And was very sick. Sick to my stomach. Couldn't keep anything down. I'm on my second patch. The first week I was moody and wanted to throw out the patch but it went away. I'm not sick like on the pill. Due to some health problems I think any hormones make me a little tired. So in the future I plan on something permanent but until then the patch is working. I'm not getting super sick. So if you are considering trying it. It's worth a try. Everyone is different."

KleynblumM April 25, 2017