User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin

Also known as: Ortho Evra, Xulane

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin.

Birth Control 465 reviews 295 medications

Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin reviews 465 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I had been on the patch for about 4 months, when I started them everything was really good and then about 3 months into it everything started going wrong I'm 18 I constantly kept getting urine infection or thrush and I couldn't understand why I never had them before and then the worst came my legs went blue!!! There was a clear line around my waist and from there down my legs were blue and black freezing cold I couldn't feel them.. I bleed so heavy and was in agony got rushed to hospital and they told me that it was a side affect to my birth control spent 2 days in hospital recovering don't recommend them at all"

Charlie10415 February 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the patch one month, a complete cycle. I started after my first ever miscarriage, so I was a little weary and nervous of how my periods were going to be since I have been bleeding off and on the past 2-3 months! Xulane works amazing for me!! My period is shorter and lighter but I still spot a few times which was expected. But I have literally had no other side effects! I forget it is there! I alternate putting it on each side of my back, above my pants line but below my bra line so no irritation. It has never fallen off, even with bathtubs I had no issues. I have seen a lot of negative comments but I truly think it is just how your body will handle it. The patch is amazing for me, but the pill makes me so sick. I recommend!!"

Ella222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on the patch for about 3 months now, I used to have severe headaches every day before starting Xulane. Now I rarely get them - only on my period. I also have not had any issues with the patch coming off, if anything it is hard to take off at the end of each week and actually quite painful! Also, the week before my period and during my period, I have intense mood swings and become extremely irritable and emotional. So, 2 weeks out of 4 in every month, I feel pretty terrible. I am considering stopping the patch completely, as it is becoming increasingly difficult to manage."

8493948483829291038589302 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Would not recommend. My doctor put me on the patch because I had a hard time remembering to take the pill to help control my reoccurring ovarian cysts. I am now in the hospital with severe blood clots from my belly button to just below my knee in my vein. My leg is swollen and I am in horrible pain after 9 days in the hospital, so far. I would recommend NOT using this patch!"

16 year old in NY February 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "At first, like most people say, the symptoms were terrible. Abdominal and back pain, slight nausea, mood swings, general foggy feeling in my brain. After a couple of days, the symptoms decreased and now all I experience is some mood instability the day I replace my patch. I've never had a problem with it falling off, though it does tend to get fuzzy around the edges from your clothes. It does kind of kill your sex drive at first, but I feel like I'm back to normal now. Hooray for regular periods and no babies!"

Laylaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I could even last two days with the Xulane. I had the Evra patch years ago and liked it so I thought I'd give this patch a try. Literally after have it on for a couple of hours I got a migraine and then woke up to medium-severe cramps that lasted all day along with the headaches and then nausea. I literally felt sick to my stomach. After taking it off I was able to feel a little better, no more major cramps but still feel sick. Hoping this goes away soon. I'm absolutely done with BC. Rather be celibate. Oh and I forgot to mention I literally gained 3/4lbs within 2 damn days"

22Fustrated February 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This is the third time I am submitting a review for Xulane. I was approaching 1 year using this patch, but discontinued it this past Friday. Over the past 6 months, I have had high blood pressure readings (extremely high). The only change I have made over the past year is switching from Ortho Evra to Xulane. My Doctor thinks this is causing my high blood pressure. Not only that, but I have been having headaches, which I never had prior to taking this patch. Not sure if anyone else has had an increase in blood pressure, since they started this patch? I hoped I was not the only one. Anyone else?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I absolutely love it now. I've been on the patch approximately 4 months. The first couple months I experienced emotions going haywire, minor headaches and one period that I thought I was going to die or just felt like dying because it was horrifically pain. I also experience frequent episodes of indigestion. I honestly think your body has to adjust to the hormones because the previous two months the side effects are gone! I haven't experienced an acne blemish which was common to occur during my period. My periods have lightened shortened and pain free. I've had one incident with patch falling off the day before replacing it. Oh and no kids! Overall I give it a two thumbs up!"

DEMLARX January 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I used the brand name Ortho Evra for years!! Loved it! no problems ever! Now I am forced to use this Xulane patch, and it is just NOT the same. 1. My period starts while Im on the third patch every month. Ortho, it was 5 days exactly after removing. 2. Taking a bath it comes off! Then its not as sticky. Never ever had an ortho patch come off. 3. I have 2 week long periods now. I used to have only 5 day periods. I just don't like this generic patch whatsoever!!!!"

wefflet84 January 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I'm on week three of the patch and I can't wait for it to be over. This is the second time this year I've used the patch and I remember the same same side effects as before. Headache during most of the first week coupled with constant nausea. The only thing that seems to make the nausea subside is eating! Needless to say I've noticed some weight gain!!!!!! I suppose you've got to try these things.... In theory it's a great idea, unfortunately it doesn't work for me."

BertieBoo January 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "started the patch this month, am on 4th day of the patch free week and spent the last few days terrified that i might be pregnant - today I got my 'period' aka BC withdrawal bleeding but have been nauseous all night. so, still not sure where I stand on the pregnancy thing. have also noticed: sore breasts weight gain of around 5kg despite no increase in appetite and sometimes even eating less than usual (not fun since I'm already overweight to start with) strange dry itchy rash on my lower inner thighs some vaginal dryness overall I don't have much confidence in this... even if I'm not pregnant it's scary to see the edges peeling off or a regular shower loosening the adhesive. switching back 2 condoms pill and will save for an IUD."

argy (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on the patch for 4 years. This is the best birth control method. Of course like anything, your body has to get used to a foreign object that's attached to your body and let's estrogen through your skin. Your body will go through changes (nausea, sweats, headaches), but good luck finding a method that will leave you symptom free. Once you get through that yucky part, you'll notice weight gain and also your breasts will get larger and tender. For most, I don't think this goes away. For myself, I do have a little bit of a tummy (I'm 105lbs) and my boobs have gone up a whole cup size. I find the patch to be insanely convenient. After years of using it, I have zero problems with it. I can only say great things about this BC method!"

Piapia January 22, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This is my first 24 hours of having it on. At first I was really shaky, I now feel sick to my stomach. I've thrown up and I feel really weak. I had bad experiences with other birth controls. Doctor told me not to take it off, what do I do..?"

Kayleebugs January 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on this almost 3 months and the only cons are cost and when I change it each week my emotions are off for a day or 2. You have to place in an area where your pants or bra doesn't rub so it can stay on right. My appetite has definitely increased but I'm not a big girl and I can control that. Love the convenience. The best placement for me is my butt cheek. I used to pay for this but found a clinic that covers it at no cost."

Monica D. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on the Xulane patch for 3 months now. During the first month, I did experience some pregnancy side effects (AM nausea, food/smell sensitivity, painful breasts) especially on my patch change day. I believe it is normal as your body is getting used to the amount of hormones you are receiving. When it came time for my 4th week (off week) I did have a severe migraine that lasted up until I began my period, 2-3 days after removing the patch. It was so debilitating that I did consider discontinuing the patch. However, things returned to normal with my period and I did notice a lighter period that lasted only 3 days."

Part 1 of 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Have been taking Xulane for about 8 months, it's been great. Spotting during the first two months, tired with some increase in appetite until my body adjusted. I do notice mild headaches during days (1-2 times per week). Of course, breasts are swollen, which isn't a terrible side effect. I've had no nausea, no weight gain, and my mood seems more balanced. I have a history of depression, and have not had any issues outside of baseline while using Xulane. I have fewer PMS symptoms- less depressed, less irritable, don't want to run people over then cry because I'm a horrible person for thinking that :/ It's been very effective."

Liz348 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been using the patch for about 6 months now because it's more convenient, my periods are regulated which is good but the bad part is I have terrible mood swings with the patch espically the first couple days of a new one, I took a month break from it just to see if it still happened but I was fine and as soon as I started using the patch again back to my grumpy, moody self. I also experience swollen tender breasts which is absolutely not fun."

Hannah34343232 January 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "My experience is mixed it was good to start with no problems but as time went on I got loads of bad side effects and when I tried to come of it I had really heavy periods for over a month then I had to go back on it again now I'm coming off for the second time it is very very painful with the cramps and sickness to the point I can't keep still for too long and it takes a while for your periods and your fertility to come back"

fozzy1996 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This is my second week using Evra. Boobs got bigger which is good but very tender. I never stopped bleeding since my period (spotting) and I hope it stops because I cannot have sex if I'm bleeding, it makes me very uncomfortable.Hopefully it will stop once my period comes again. I still haven't used it without condoms so who knows but I really hope it works. The patch stops being sticky around the edges but it stays on. Had few pimples which happens almost never to me. Nausea lasts for like 10 seconds but hey if it works it's nice."

yi (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I got pregnant while on this damn Xulane patch. Not effective for me at all.."

Mimir23 January 3, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on the evra patch for a little over a month. I'd have to say this is the worst birth control method. Right away I noticed I gained water weight. My boobs and stomach got a lot bigger gained the most weight. Other than the fact that I put on a few pounds. I also was very naseaused/shakey/sweating for about 3 nights of a month. I didn't enjoy that either. I'm going back on an oral birth control method once my period is over and I can't wait to have the patch out of my system"

Teneale (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I started the patch 2 days ago. I thought it was fine and everything. My doctor didn't tell me the side effects of tell me I would have any at all. Past 2 days I haven't had any other symptoms but this past moring I woke up and I couldn't handle it. I tried to stay asleep but I felt like I had to throw up. I got up and ran to the bathroom and puked for a good 10 minutes. Now I know why I had so many headaches. Glad I quit before it got worse tho. I don't like it and I wouldn't recommend it."

migrob222 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "My first time starting any kind of birth control (just to regulate my period, not really as a contraceptive) and I could only last half way through my third week, the increase in anxiety, depression along with the pregnancy like symptoms were debilitating. I just took my patch off today because I couldn't take it anymore. I have terrible gastrointestinal problems, feel sore and tender, dizzy, have headaches and the worst part is the nausea. It's been gradually increasing since I started and has finally gotten to the point where I can't leave my bed. My first patch fell off after three days so I put a new one on my thigh instead of my side and that made it not come off anymore but the mix of mood swings and painful symptoms are too much."

Hayley n December 21, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I started the Xulane patch two months ago. I have to say that it has been a great experience so far. I myself read through these reviews before starting the patch and I was terrified of the experience I would have. I have not gained any weight. I have not had migraines or even mild headaches. The patch does not itch nor does it leave a rash or any type of bump. It does leave a residue on the outer ring from where it catches your clothing and collects fuzz. I have not experienced any nausea. It has been smooth sailing. My period is drastically lighter and I don't get ill or experience extreme cramps. I have to say I'm a huge fan of the patch. It has even increased my sex drive, because I feel so comfortable now that I have it."

Hones-T (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Occasionally got a rash but nothing time or some hydrocortisone couldnt fix. Loved the convenience. Didn't love the few times it fell off and had to reapply or tape it back on. Overall, works great for my very busy lifestyle. Grad student, mom of 2."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 14, 2016