User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin

Also known as: Ortho Evra, Xulane

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin.

Birth Control 492 reviews 300 medications

6.9
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin reviews 492 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I recently switched from birth control pills to the patch. I wanted to be on something that I didn't have to remember to take every day and because I have PCOS the patch was my next best option. I was a little weary of it because I looked up reviews and saw that many women got ill within the first couple of days of being on it. Luckily I haven't had that experience. I think that the main reason is because I went from a pill with very similar to the patch. I didn't give the patch a 10 rating because it can get a little itchy (it feels like you're wearing a bandaid) and sometimes it makes me nervous that it's going to fall off. Overall no side effects so far and I'm so glad that I'm not having to remember to take the pill every day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been using xulane for the past three years. Within the last 3 months, I have been itching under the patch like crazy. I get these painful bumps underneath them and it keeps a fever while the patch is on it. I figured maybe it was a bad batch and go away. Then the patches started falling off way too easy. I got a hold of my pharmacist who treated me like I didn't know what I was doing and said that only the manufacturer can help me. Xulane I absolutely loved your patch until now. But I have to change to another product because whatever you did to the adhesive is tearing up my skin and is SOOO itchy you feel crazy."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I would not recommend this birth control to my worse enemy. I have had terrible headaches, arm and stomach pain, and nausea. I stopped the patch as soon as I started throwing up while driving in my car. I am thinking about going to the ER, it has been almost 2 hours and I still can not stop vomiting. This is the worse pain ever. I regret ever using this patch. It is worse than the pills."

Sick to my stomach (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Placing patch on butt instead of other areas may possibly help with nausea."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "First birth control is been on so I had high expectations and they were completely crushed. I've never had headaches in my life but had constant terrible headaches on the patch and awful mood swings. Was constantly emotional and crying and just generally felt awful all around. Within the first 2 weeks I had already started rapidly gaining weight and it didn't slow down at all, within the short span I had taken the patch (3 months?) I went from maintaining around 110-113lbs to maintaining 123-125lbs and not being able to lose weight AT ALL!!! I was worried about weight gain, stuck to my pre bc regime and still gained the weight. Worst part is that even 8 months after I got off the medication I still haven't been able to lose the weight gained"

P!ssed off (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I was on xulane for over a year, when I first started the patch I felt nauseous and had a headache the first 3-5 days. Then after it stopped and I had NO side effects whatsoever. My period has always been 7 days so it didn't fix my long abnormal period but it did fix my acne and it did not effect my mood. Also, I never got pregnant !! This birth control was awesome I only had to change it once a week, the only con was where to place it, during the summer I had to hide it on my buttock and sometimes it would show when my bikini would rise up. and in the winter it was on my arm and sometimes I would forget and thats how my parents found out I was on birth control... also it comes off easily if you take daily baths or swim in the ocean."

itsmecristyyyy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have used this product for the past three years without issue until the last few weeks when the site where patch was applied became itchy. As time has gone by in few weeks time, the skin underneath gets extremely itchy. I removed it and the skin underneath was left raised, purple, and with peeling skin. It has been 2 weeks and my skin is still purple and the skin has not healed. I tried it on my back and yet again the same thing. I have a red square with leatherlike skin. I ad to call my obgyn and ask to be changed to another product. I can't walk around with damaged skin. Hoping that eventually the skin will heal. Horrible product!"

andee_1976 May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "There are so many women who have trouble that I thought I would write a review. I have tried many birth control options over the years. and ALWAYS got very sick. I recently tried loestrein and was really sick. So my doctor gave me the patch. I had tried ortho eva. Years ago. And was very sick. Sick to my stomach. Couldn't keep anything down. I'm on my second patch. The first week I was moody and wanted to throw out the patch but it went away. I'm not sick like on the pill. Due to some health problems I think any hormones make me a little tired. So in the future I plan on something permanent but until then the patch is working. I'm not getting super sick. So if you are considering trying it. It's worth a try. Everyone is different."

KleynblumM April 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Recently diagnosed with PCOS so I decided to start BC only because my periods were non existent. I've been on the patch for a month. So far I love it, I am way more tired than before but that's about it."

Raie April 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on Xulane for several months now and I hadn't had a problem until February, when the patch started to give me huge raised rashes, I tried it on multiple spots on my body, tried washing with different soaps, using different lotions, nothing worked. I feel like they must've switched the adhesive recently, because this problem happened out of the blue and wasn't isolated to one patch (I even got a new package, and still had the same issue occur). I'm really disappointed because I loved this birth control, but I suppose I'll just have to find something new when I have the time. It's really ruined all the skin I've put it on. The skin where the rashes appeared seems to have scarred."

KittyCatieCat April 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the Xulane patch for about a year and a half now.. Pros.. NO NEW BABIES!! Cons.. (based off my own experience) Migraines, moodiness, itchy skin, tiredness, Oh how I miss Ortho Evra!!"

Renee Jaxon April 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Last year, I had surgery for benign endometrial hyperplasia and a baseball-sized ovarian cyst. I was officially diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome when I was 19 and this is a common side effect. To prevent further problems, my doctor recommended hormone therapy but I haven't done well with any of the pills or the shot - too many bad side effects (sciatica, mood swings, etc). I was on Ortho-Evra in my early 20s and never noticed any problems so I decided to try it again. Unfortunately, though, it was discontinued in the USA and Xulane was its generic. I've been on it for 3 months and I've been miserable the whole time. I stopped today and now I feel like I have the flu."

MissLeopard83 March 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I started the first patch ,first day of my period as instructed by my obgyn and it was perfect, side effects were almost non existent. My period actually got lighter and less painful. First week was ok, second week I suffered from some joint pain then severe stomach aches and finally vomiting . Spent two days barely able to eat or drink anything till I took off the patch and immediately felt better. If it wasn't for the stomach problems I would definitely recommend it since side effects are the least compared to other methods ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on the patch for two years previously it was prescribed to me to treat Polycystic ovaries. Just recently got back on It and I am extremely shocked to read all those reviews. I have never gained weight on the pill if anything I have lost few pounds. I always had an issue with acne and patch helped to solve that too. First few days on the patch can't be classed as the nicest as I felt dizzy and vomited few times however that stops relatively quickly. I can't relate to the mood swings at all . I can only recommend and say In my experience patches are relatively good compared to other methods of contraception."

DrDri March 29, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I started the patch on Friday.I felt fine Friday night, I woke up Saturday morning and felt okay, as the day progressed, my nausea got worse. Woke up Sunday feeling okay but around 11pm the nausea came back, I had a headache and my saliva was really thick. I went to bed that night feeling horrible not getting much sleep. Monday I woke up feeling extremely lethargic, I ended up having to leave work early because I thought I was going to pass out. I went home and slept most of the day, Tuesday morning spent by the toilet and called my doctor. Who told me to take it off if it continued, I just took it off 30 minutes ago and I already feel better."

ml1795 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Have been on patch for over 16 years. First Ortho Evra; few years back Zulane generic brand. I had zero side effects, since the first use. I have tried the pill for a few months not good since I forget. The Ring that made me gain weight in a matter of 2 months so immediately got off that. Tried the pill again to get lower estrogen but again it is hard to remember to take it. So the patch it is for me. All bodies are unique, we all react differently. I am glad I was able to process this form of BC without any problems. I did try to get off BC for approx 6 months and my body didn't like it, I started to gain weight get bloated, so I attribute my weight control /hormone control to the patch!!"

QUHOU March 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Been on xulane 3 months starting today. The first month went great no side effects, noticed my boobs grew a bit. When the second month started it was going well until I applied the second patch, I had terrible headaches, nausea, extremely light headed, and the worst part extreme stomach pains . I had to remove the patch because of the pain. I almost went to the ER. I applied the third path of the month the following week and still had some symptoms but they only lasted 2/3 days. I applied the first patch of the third month this Monday that just passed and the extreme stomach pain returned along with vomiting & headaches. I've overall decided I'm going to stop xulane and hopefully find a birthcontrol that won't send me to the hospital."

sam0612 March 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Been on patch going on 2 months. I love it. Notice boobs are getting bigger and a little sensitive. I place the patch on my buttock and put waterproof band aids to prevent it from unsticking due to bathing. I also learned to attach new patch before removing old 1 it decrease the sick feeling. I take one a day vitamins to prevent feeling sleepy. So far so good."

Neat7 March 23, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I been on the patch for four years now and for me the first time when I put my patch on when my period stops I do get sick on the Monday but nothing major. I love it I never had a problem with it but only one problem I have is sometimes it will feel like it is coming off two days before I change it but the good side so far that has never happened! It's way easier then taking a pill everyday and for me I can't take pills so the patch was a bonus for me but I do have really bad cramps on it but I love how it starts the same time every month and it makes my life a whole lot easier I would totally recommend it!"

Bostonfan98 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on Ortha Evra & Xulane for going on 6 years now. They switched to the off-brand a few years ago and I never noticed a difference. I haven't had any complications or bad side effects from it. The only thing I've noticed is if I quit taking it, my period quits coming. I just recently tried to stop in January, my period came that month. Skipped February completely, and passed my period date for this month. So I got back on it to hopefully regulate it out again. Not sure what to do if I wanna stop taking it and try to get pregnant again tho."

MandyMarieeee (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 14, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the patch for two years now and have had a pretty positive experience. I choose the patch because unlike the pill it was only once a week and didn't have many horrifying side effects like some other options out there. I place my patch on my stomach near my belly button area, per the instructions. I find that on my skin it stays put but removal can be a bit painful hence why I always remove it in the shower while using plenty of soap. My periods while in the patch are short and sweet and to the day. I usually have 2 days of light bleeding and two medium days to end my cycle. I did notice some weight gain, but nothing crazy and nothing I worried myself with. Just remember every body reacts differently to birth control!"

Danyell326 March 12, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I was using the birth control ring for 5+ years. In May, 2016 I switched to the Ortho Evra patch. I was given the Xulane birth control patch, the generic form of Ortho Evra. I've not had a single problem. . . UNTIL NOW! The first week of March I put a new patch on my lower abdomen. Within 6-8 hours I had a raised, burning, itchy rash under the patch. I'd never had this problem before no matter where I place the patch. I removed that patch and put a new patch on my upper shoulder. Within 5 hours another raised, itchy burning rash under the patch. I removed that patch. Now I have two square raised, red, burning, itchy rash spots!! Needless to say I have to stop Xulane. Not sure what to use now."

New Haven Gal March 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This is my first time on xulane patch I been on it for 7 days now, boy I tell ya I been feeling really sick like flu symptoms and nausea.. I can say it sticks on very well you just can't be soaking for an hour in water I take showers it works best on my buttocks.. I don't know anything about the periods yet since it is my first week"

Lexxeffects March 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I switched from the pill because I was having trouble taking it at the same time every day. I loved the patch and how convenient it was. I wore it for two years and I will admit my boobs grew a cup size and I gained about 10 lbs over time but my bf likes a little chubb so it was fine, lol. I NEVER had nausea problems (kinda shocked by some reviews here). I'll admit I would have PMS-like mood swings each time I changed the patch but I never had shakes or sweating. I actually really love this birth control and rarely notice side effects. My periods became lighter (I had heavy bleeding pain before the patch), it lasted 3 days and was on a regular schedule. I highly recommend"

Zirose March 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the patch for 4 months now. The first couple of days on week one I have a low grade headache but nothing tylenol cant fix. I found putting the patch on my shoulders on my back it gets way too itchy! So I put mine under my underwear line on my outside thigh and it doesnt itch near as bad. It sticks pretty well and by the time it looks like its about to fall off its time to put on the new patch anyway. I started my patch on Sunday and when its the week without it I know exactly when I will get my period and when it will end. It lasts about 6 days (only major downside for me because without birth control mine usually only lasts 3 days.) Cramps are a little worse but bearable and only happens the day before period and day of. No weight gain."

Love this!! March 9, 2017