User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin

Also known as: Ortho Evra, Xulane

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin.

Birth Control 484 reviews 299 medications

Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin reviews 484 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Recently diagnosed with PCOS so I decided to start BC only because my periods were non existent. I've been on the patch for a month. So far I love it, I am way more tired than before but that's about it."

Raie April 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on Xulane for several months now and I hadn't had a problem until February, when the patch started to give me huge raised rashes, I tried it on multiple spots on my body, tried washing with different soaps, using different lotions, nothing worked. I feel like they must've switched the adhesive recently, because this problem happened out of the blue and wasn't isolated to one patch (I even got a new package, and still had the same issue occur). I'm really disappointed because I loved this birth control, but I suppose I'll just have to find something new when I have the time. It's really ruined all the skin I've put it on. The skin where the rashes appeared seems to have scarred."

KittyCatieCat April 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the Xulane patch for about a year and a half now.. Pros.. NO NEW BABIES!! Cons.. (based off my own experience) Migraines, moodiness, itchy skin, tiredness, Oh how I miss Ortho Evra!!"

Renee Jaxon April 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Last year, I had surgery for benign endometrial hyperplasia and a baseball-sized ovarian cyst. I was officially diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome when I was 19 and this is a common side effect. To prevent further problems, my doctor recommended hormone therapy but I haven't done well with any of the pills or the shot - too many bad side effects (sciatica, mood swings, etc). I was on Ortho-Evra in my early 20s and never noticed any problems so I decided to try it again. Unfortunately, though, it was discontinued in the USA and Xulane was its generic. I've been on it for 3 months and I've been miserable the whole time. I stopped today and now I feel like I have the flu."

MissLeopard83 March 29, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I started the first patch ,first day of my period as instructed by my obgyn and it was perfect, side effects were almost non existent. My period actually got lighter and less painful. First week was ok, second week I suffered from some joint pain then severe stomach aches and finally vomiting . Spent two days barely able to eat or drink anything till I took off the patch and immediately felt better. If it wasn't for the stomach problems I would definitely recommend it since side effects are the least compared to other methods ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on the patch for two years previously it was prescribed to me to treat Polycystic ovaries. Just recently got back on It and I am extremely shocked to read all those reviews. I have never gained weight on the pill if anything I have lost few pounds. I always had an issue with acne and patch helped to solve that too. First few days on the patch can't be classed as the nicest as I felt dizzy and vomited few times however that stops relatively quickly. I can't relate to the mood swings at all . I can only recommend and say In my experience patches are relatively good compared to other methods of contraception."

DrDri March 29, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I started the patch on Friday.I felt fine Friday night, I woke up Saturday morning and felt okay, as the day progressed, my nausea got worse. Woke up Sunday feeling okay but around 11pm the nausea came back, I had a headache and my saliva was really thick. I went to bed that night feeling horrible not getting much sleep. Monday I woke up feeling extremely lethargic, I ended up having to leave work early because I thought I was going to pass out. I went home and slept most of the day, Tuesday morning spent by the toilet and called my doctor. Who told me to take it off if it continued, I just took it off 30 minutes ago and I already feel better."

ml1795 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Have been on patch for over 16 years. First Ortho Evra; few years back Zulane generic brand. I had zero side effects, since the first use. I have tried the pill for a few months not good since I forget. The Ring that made me gain weight in a matter of 2 months so immediately got off that. Tried the pill again to get lower estrogen but again it is hard to remember to take it. So the patch it is for me. All bodies are unique, we all react differently. I am glad I was able to process this form of BC without any problems. I did try to get off BC for approx 6 months and my body didn't like it, I started to gain weight get bloated, so I attribute my weight control /hormone control to the patch!!"

QUHOU March 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Been on xulane 3 months starting today. The first month went great no side effects, noticed my boobs grew a bit. When the second month started it was going well until I applied the second patch, I had terrible headaches, nausea, extremely light headed, and the worst part extreme stomach pains . I had to remove the patch because of the pain. I almost went to the ER. I applied the third path of the month the following week and still had some symptoms but they only lasted 2/3 days. I applied the first patch of the third month this Monday that just passed and the extreme stomach pain returned along with vomiting & headaches. I've overall decided I'm going to stop xulane and hopefully find a birthcontrol that won't send me to the hospital."

sam0612 March 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Been on patch going on 2 months. I love it. Notice boobs are getting bigger and a little sensitive. I place the patch on my buttock and put waterproof band aids to prevent it from unsticking due to bathing. I also learned to attach new patch before removing old 1 it decrease the sick feeling. I take one a day vitamins to prevent feeling sleepy. So far so good."

Neat7 March 23, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I been on the patch for four years now and for me the first time when I put my patch on when my period stops I do get sick on the Monday but nothing major. I love it I never had a problem with it but only one problem I have is sometimes it will feel like it is coming off two days before I change it but the good side so far that has never happened! It's way easier then taking a pill everyday and for me I can't take pills so the patch was a bonus for me but I do have really bad cramps on it but I love how it starts the same time every month and it makes my life a whole lot easier I would totally recommend it!"

Bostonfan98 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on Ortha Evra & Xulane for going on 6 years now. They switched to the off-brand a few years ago and I never noticed a difference. I haven't had any complications or bad side effects from it. The only thing I've noticed is if I quit taking it, my period quits coming. I just recently tried to stop in January, my period came that month. Skipped February completely, and passed my period date for this month. So I got back on it to hopefully regulate it out again. Not sure what to do if I wanna stop taking it and try to get pregnant again tho."

MandyMarieeee (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the patch for two years now and have had a pretty positive experience. I choose the patch because unlike the pill it was only once a week and didn't have many horrifying side effects like some other options out there. I place my patch on my stomach near my belly button area, per the instructions. I find that on my skin it stays put but removal can be a bit painful hence why I always remove it in the shower while using plenty of soap. My periods while in the patch are short and sweet and to the day. I usually have 2 days of light bleeding and two medium days to end my cycle. I did notice some weight gain, but nothing crazy and nothing I worried myself with. Just remember every body reacts differently to birth control!"

Danyell326 March 12, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I was using the birth control ring for 5+ years. In May, 2016 I switched to the Ortho Evra patch. I was given the Xulane birth control patch, the generic form of Ortho Evra. I've not had a single problem. . . UNTIL NOW! The first week of March I put a new patch on my lower abdomen. Within 6-8 hours I had a raised, burning, itchy rash under the patch. I'd never had this problem before no matter where I place the patch. I removed that patch and put a new patch on my upper shoulder. Within 5 hours another raised, itchy burning rash under the patch. I removed that patch. Now I have two square raised, red, burning, itchy rash spots!! Needless to say I have to stop Xulane. Not sure what to use now."

New Haven Gal March 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This is my first time on xulane patch I been on it for 7 days now, boy I tell ya I been feeling really sick like flu symptoms and nausea.. I can say it sticks on very well you just can't be soaking for an hour in water I take showers it works best on my buttocks.. I don't know anything about the periods yet since it is my first week"

Lexxeffects March 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I switched from the pill because I was having trouble taking it at the same time every day. I loved the patch and how convenient it was. I wore it for two years and I will admit my boobs grew a cup size and I gained about 10 lbs over time but my bf likes a little chubb so it was fine, lol. I NEVER had nausea problems (kinda shocked by some reviews here). I'll admit I would have PMS-like mood swings each time I changed the patch but I never had shakes or sweating. I actually really love this birth control and rarely notice side effects. My periods became lighter (I had heavy bleeding pain before the patch), it lasted 3 days and was on a regular schedule. I highly recommend"

Zirose March 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the patch for 4 months now. The first couple of days on week one I have a low grade headache but nothing tylenol cant fix. I found putting the patch on my shoulders on my back it gets way too itchy! So I put mine under my underwear line on my outside thigh and it doesnt itch near as bad. It sticks pretty well and by the time it looks like its about to fall off its time to put on the new patch anyway. I started my patch on Sunday and when its the week without it I know exactly when I will get my period and when it will end. It lasts about 6 days (only major downside for me because without birth control mine usually only lasts 3 days.) Cramps are a little worse but bearable and only happens the day before period and day of. No weight gain."

Love this!! March 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This patch made me throw up three times the first night I put it on, my boobs are getting bigger and more sensitive, and this patch makes me feel tired all the time "

lanismith (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on this almost 4 years, but I do not remember any side effects when I switched over from a pill. I have had acne since I was 12 but now I get maybe one pimple when I'm on my off week. I have not experienced weight gain that I attribute to the patch. My main complaint is my libido does not exist anymore and sometimes I get moody, but I feel like that is normal for women. I personally have had a great experience with it and am thankful that it has been free for me! The application area is itchy sometimes but it's not a huge inconvenience."

pug123456789 February 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I had been on the patch for about 4 months, when I started them everything was really good and then about 3 months into it everything started going wrong I'm 18 I constantly kept getting urine infection or thrush and I couldn't understand why I never had them before and then the worst came my legs went blue!!! There was a clear line around my waist and from there down my legs were blue and black freezing cold I couldn't feel them.. I bleed so heavy and was in agony got rushed to hospital and they told me that it was a side affect to my birth control spent 2 days in hospital recovering don't recommend them at all"

Charlie10415 February 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the patch one month, a complete cycle. I started after my first ever miscarriage, so I was a little weary and nervous of how my periods were going to be since I have been bleeding off and on the past 2-3 months! Xulane works amazing for me!! My period is shorter and lighter but I still spot a few times which was expected. But I have literally had no other side effects! I forget it is there! I alternate putting it on each side of my back, above my pants line but below my bra line so no irritation. It has never fallen off, even with bathtubs I had no issues. I have seen a lot of negative comments but I truly think it is just how your body will handle it. The patch is amazing for me, but the pill makes me so sick. I recommend!!"

Ella222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on the patch for about 3 months now, I used to have severe headaches every day before starting Xulane. Now I rarely get them - only on my period. I also have not had any issues with the patch coming off, if anything it is hard to take off at the end of each week and actually quite painful! Also, the week before my period and during my period, I have intense mood swings and become extremely irritable and emotional. So, 2 weeks out of 4 in every month, I feel pretty terrible. I am considering stopping the patch completely, as it is becoming increasingly difficult to manage."

8493948483829291038589302 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Would not recommend. My doctor put me on the patch because I had a hard time remembering to take the pill to help control my reoccurring ovarian cysts. I am now in the hospital with severe blood clots from my belly button to just below my knee in my vein. My leg is swollen and I am in horrible pain after 9 days in the hospital, so far. I would recommend NOT using this patch!"

16 year old in NY February 8, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "At first, like most people say, the symptoms were terrible. Abdominal and back pain, slight nausea, mood swings, general foggy feeling in my brain. After a couple of days, the symptoms decreased and now all I experience is some mood instability the day I replace my patch. I've never had a problem with it falling off, though it does tend to get fuzzy around the edges from your clothes. It does kind of kill your sex drive at first, but I feel like I'm back to normal now. Hooray for regular periods and no babies!"

Laylaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I could even last two days with the Xulane. I had the Evra patch years ago and liked it so I thought I'd give this patch a try. Literally after have it on for a couple of hours I got a migraine and then woke up to medium-severe cramps that lasted all day along with the headaches and then nausea. I literally felt sick to my stomach. After taking it off I was able to feel a little better, no more major cramps but still feel sick. Hoping this goes away soon. I'm absolutely done with BC. Rather be celibate. Oh and I forgot to mention I literally gained 3/4lbs within 2 damn days"

22Fustrated February 7, 2017