User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin

Also known as: Ortho Evra, Xulane

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin.

Birth Control 437 reviews 292 medications

7.1
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin reviews 437 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norelgestromin

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "My first time taking birth control and I chose the patch. I was prescribed Xulane. I hate it. I already had a slight acne problem, it didn't improve it. It made my breasts tender all the time. I was spotting for a whole week, which was expected. The main issue from being on this patch, was my mood swings. I felt depressed, sad, I was crying for no reason, and then I would be happy again. My boyfriend hates it because of my mood swings. I've been on it for 3 months but not anymore."

Boujiegirl22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "So far no bleeding I don't think I've notice any more discharged. No rash yet.I have it stuck on my butt. No weight gain so far I will update later !"

Tiffany.a.v November 23, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Nightmare! I was on the xulane birth control patch for 2 full months. I have felt like a complete Zombie with no energy at all. I can feel depression, anxiety and mood swings getting worse. I'm starting to get headaches and nausea which I have never experienced before. The patch doesn't stick very well on the skin. I've gotten rashes and it's always itchy at the site. I'm giving up on birth control because the crippling mental side effects are not worth it. I'm going back to condoms forever. BEWARE the mental/emotional side effects sneak up on you over time."

AKRK November 22, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I did a review on Xulane 8 months ago. I was taking the Ortho Evra patch and had to switch to Xulane due to it being discontinued. When I did my review, I was on the patch for 1 month. The patch is still very convenient. Increase is sex drive, no vaginal dryness, and light periods - no cramping. I am starting to get headaches for the past month. Seeing its a side effect of this medication (never got them before ) hoping they go away. Other than that, no complaints."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 21, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Why am I experiencing pregnancy symptoms? And why can't I sleep anymore? Not lookin to good Xulane. I just started two weeks ago.."

Nat. (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "The patch causes itchiness but after a while it goes away. I noticed my breast are more full and perkier which is nice but I did notice I am more emotional on the patch and a headache here and there. This patch works great other than that. I recommend this to someone who doesn't like using pills and to someone who prefers a much easier and simple method."

Someone who is satisfied November 13, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been using the patch for over two years because I have no other choice. only upside is ive never gotten pregnant on it. Right away I noticed side effects of gaining weight and nausea. Over time the symptoms became worse. Everyday Monday after changing the patch I become very ill. I wake up hot and disorientated. Then my body forces me to violently vomit for 4-5 hours. While this happens I experience chest pain. Difficulty breathing. Extreme exhaustion. so dizzy I can't walk. My heart feels like it almost skips beats then tries to catch up to itself. It's like having food poisoning."

Crystalrox November 7, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "In my personal experience this was horrible. Been on it for 3 days and just took it off tonight because I can't handle it anymore. I am puking all night (10-12 times) and can't hold anything down. I am having body aches and can't stop shaking. And also a massive headache that advil won't get rid off. It works for alot of people, I guess just not for me."

16yrold (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "So I have been on the patch for about a year now, I chose the patch over the pill due to convince. Turns out its kinda a pain. I had not had to many issues aside from i weight gain and it coming off before my week was up due to excess water. Periods where normal for me, always generally heavy. Unfortunately I had to stop for a month due to cost. (i know dumb) and I am now having an allergic reaction before this occurred I was wanting to switch anyways. I plan to switch to Paragaurd."

LIZZIELOUG October 29, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on this patch for a little under two weeks now and I just took the thing off tonight due to some serious side effects I was receiving. I haven't slept for 3 nights, even on 10MG of Melletonin and my anxiety medication which normally knock me right out when I'm having a bad night. I have been completely exhausted and fatigued. Then today, I felt nauseated all day and then started chest pains on my left side that went from tolerable to severe throughout the day. I finally decided to look up the side effects of the patch on drugs.com and found everything I was feeling in the list. So I ripped that thing off, and not even an hour later I have felt 90% better. Better than I have in days. 1/10 would not try again."

sofa king mad right now October 27, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Been on Xulane patch a week and my vaginal dryness from the depot is completely gone! My libido has greatly increased too. Before, it would take everything in me to even want to have sex, but not anymore! The only off thing is that the past two nights after dinner I get very nauseated and have lots of indigestion and burping. My cravings for kit-Kats has also increased, which tells me that it really does mimic some pregnancy signs. I bled almost every day on the depot and now that I'm on the patch I feel great!"

CKLeoooo October 26, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Every since I've started on Xulane I have Not been able to sleep. Has anyone else experienced this side effect....I don't fall asleep until, like 3am"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on Xulane for about 7 months now and I absolutely love it! At first, yes, it is horrible while the body is adjusting to it. There are constant headaches and what look like signs of early pregnancy, but after a while it works perfect! It's worth the beginning experience. I have noticed that my breasts grew rounder and fuller, no acne, no vaginal dryness, predictable periods, light periods, low cramping and best of all, no unplanned children!"

Lalalalalala213131 October 21, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "This medication works great, my cycle has never been regular but on this I can pinpoint the day I start and end my cycle. I do get headaches the first day I put on my new patch so i just take Advil as a preventive and that seems to do the job.. most of the time. This does help control acne as well, and have not experienced any weight gain and I have used it for over a year and a half. The patch site can itch but my skin seemed to get used to it after a month or so. I use it on my lower back above my pant line and switch sides weekly. This seems to be the best spot, except when I get asked what it is. lol! I was on the Depo shot for a year and absolutely hated it, and can't remember to take a pill daily so this is a GREAT alternative."

JessicaMT October 20, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "The only negative thing I can say about the patch is that my period for the first two months lasted a little longer than usual but other than that I've had normal periods. I've noticed that I'm a lot curvier now and my boobs seem to be a little perkier. I love this patch! I prefer it over the nuva-ring or the pill."

Layla J (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I sort of on the fence here. I'm 19, 114lbs. I've only had the patch on for a week and I have alreaty gotten 2 cystic acne flare ups. One on my cheek near my left nostril and an extremely painful one on my jaw line near my ear. I had an IUD in for about 8 months but it caused me problems and had to be removed. The patch I notice i am very tired and bitchy with headaches and nausea. My biggest concern is the fact that i have never had bad acne. I'd usually only get 1-2 whiteheads during my menstrual week. Now my face is really bad, red blotchy gross cyst pimples. It really crushes ones self esteem. Ive been thinking maybe i just shouldn't use it anymore."

MandyDawn October 19, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I used this medication 12 years ago (I am 37 now, so I was 25). In 3 wks I gained 15lbs. My calves became very swollen and crampy and my memory began to go. I was a server at a popular restaurant. I had regular customers and all of a sudden I couldn't remember their orders (they ordered the same thing every week for a year)... I'm certain it is from Ortho Evra. It took years to get those 15lbs off. It completely messed up my metabolism and my memory has never recovered... I have a 16yr old daughter who will never use the patch because of my experience."

Sheri1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "My first month using the patch I experienced cramping and had my period for about 2 weeks straight. Now it has been 10 months and all is normal, my periods are much ligther than they used to be. I still have cramps the first 2 days but advil helps that. I love that it is only once a week I have to remember to replace the patch. The two things that I don't like about the patch are that it does tend to slide around like a bandaid which can be annoying and secondly I feel it has made me gain some weight (bloating). I have not tried any other birth controls. I am still on the patch mainly because it has helped so much with my periods."

suz133 October 13, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've been on the patch for about 5 years now and love it. I never had many problems with it. I didn't gain weight but I typically will get a pimple or 2 the week before my period is supposed to start. I do get a slight skin irritation where I put it on. Only a little itchy and no big deal. I wear mine on my stomach and switch sides to help irritation. I don't think it hurts that bad to take off it's like pulling off a bandaid. I have only had 1 fall off and I was swimming every day for a week when it happened. I do notice I am more emotional (and slightly bitchy) while I'm on my period but I put the new one on and I'm fine. definitely would recommend!"

Elb1257 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 12, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I have been on Xulane for over a year now and so far so good. I have found it easier to cry and during my period i'm in pain with backaches (basically my whole body hurting). I had the nexplanon for 7 months before Xulane and it was horrible. I didn't have pain or cramps before trying BC. With nexplanon I had horrible never ending spotting/bleeding for 6 months and mood swings,mostly anger, i wasn't in control of myself so this was a great change."

Crashbox BlackOut (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Y'all missed the whole point of this question! It was about that rashes. I use the xulane patch too my first time on bc and yes it does leaves rashes and itch the only thing I can think of now is to not put it in the same spot as last time. I just wonder if the rash is ever going to go away"

Rose2414 September 28, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I started the patch on Friday and by saturday night I had started crying uncontrollably for no reason at all. This has not stopped and today I'm missing school because of that and the gnarly cramps I'm also experiencing. I plan on calling my doctor today to see if I should try something different or wait and see if everything levels out."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I've only been on the patch for a couple months now but it is going well so far. The only downsides are that I had fairly heavy spotting for almost 3 weeks after my period but I haven't experienced any spotting since. The other downfall is that I get really lightheaded when I first put the patch on after my period. Other than that, there haven't been any noticeable changes"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2016

Ortho Evra (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "Terrible. Allergic reaction so itchy had to remove. Skin looks burned."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

Xulane (ethinyl estradiol / norelgestromin) for Birth Control: "I switched from Nuva Ring which made my vaginal very dry, irritated non stop light bleeding. I also developed gross acne. 2 hours after I put this patch on I stopped bleeding. My acne is clearing up and my vaginal stays very very wet. I am noticing it's easier for me to cry and I'm sleepy most days, but my sexual arousal has been spiked and hasn't dulled my ability to orgasm like my previous birth controls did. Overall I'm happy. I'm hoping the sky high estrogen content doesn't cause harm. I need the estrogen though."

Lana90 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016