User Reviews for Multaq to treat Atrial Fibrillation

Multaq has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 34 ratings for the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation. 65% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Multaq Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Multaq

billsett January 29, 2012

“Have been on Multaq since Sept. 2009 and it has worked very well. Had one brief ER visit after forgetting to take a dose on time, and one brief episode of tachycardia after drinking too much Espresso. My pulse is slow and steady, blood pressure is low and I have no noticeable adverse effects as long as I take it with food to avoid intestinal discomfort. It's important to know that Multaq works very well for some people and not at all for others (typical with anti-arrhythmic medicines) and that it is not safe for patients with heart failure or permanent atrial fibrillation.”

Elizabeth V. October 10, 2011

“I have been taking Multag along with Diltiazem for a year. I have been able to maintain a normal heart rate. There have been no side effects. The only drawback seems to be the cost. This is not on most insurance companies formulary list. Your doctor must put through a special authorization request. The cost is high. Without insurance it's about $300 for a month's supply. Because my doctor's authorization was honored, I pay $123 a month. I put through a request to Sanofi-Aventi citing personal hardship and asking for a reduction in price from them. So far, I have heard nothing from them. Although it's a hardship for me, I pay the price for one simple reason -- it works.”

Miss G. November 16, 2011

“I have been taking Multaq since July, 2010 and found that my heartbeat has never been so regular. I had A-Fibrillation and was cardioverted once and since then I have been very normal thanks to Multaq. The only side effect I have noticed is occasional light-colored, soft stools. ”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 29, 2019

“In six years I had two ablations and more cardioversions than I can count for a-Fib . I had horrible side effects from Amiodarone. Finally I was put on Multaq 1 1/2 years ago. I still miss beats but it never gets bad enough to think about going to ER. NO side effects except possibly a very slight balance problem (so slight I wouldn't even notice it if I had not seen it listed), and I'm on another medications which could have caused that. So, basically no side effects whatever. This is the best drug I have ever taken, period. I gave it nine stars out of ten because it's expensive.”

rene1970 · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

“I have dilated cardiomyopathy 37 years, CHF, afib, and PVC's. I am also end stage congestive heart failure, and my ejection fraction is 10%. I had been on amiodarone for about 1 year. Have had so many side affects. I gained 30 pounds, developed a cataract, and had severe jerking sensations.(uncontrollable movements). I switched to Multaq about a month ago, and I have been in perfect sinus rhythm ever since. I feel so good on this medication.”

VANURSE47 August 18, 2010

“I just turned 47. I started taking Multaq in January after having 3 ablations and trying numerous medicines that made me feel like crap. The one thing I have noticed now is that if I forget to take it when I should, my heart actually starts to ache. My initial heart rhythm was PSVT prior to my first ablation.”

Yippy skippy June 13, 2016

“I have intermittent AF and have been using this drug for about 5 years and have done very well on it. Some breakthroughs and I use Metropol to calm things done when necessary. I do not have heart disease as such, just an electrical problem. Recently, last couple of weeks,have noticed more frequent break throughs and it is taking a lot longer for the heart to settle down. I have done so well on Multag and hope I can work out the issues whatever they are. I am also on warfarin and home test which has been a godsend. AFib on line patient groups have been very helpful!”

NJM · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2019

“My husband was recently diagnosed with paroxysmal Afib. EP put him on Multaq. The husband's normal heart rate is slow- 50-60 average. After starting Multaq the episodes seem to last longer (lasting hours now instead of 30 minutes or so) - Still had afib episodes daily, fatigued, diarrhea for the first week or so. Mutlaq is expensive, even with insurance was going to run $350 / month. Dr has decided to switch him to Sotalol. Hopefully, it works until his scheduled ablation in July. It is terrible seeing my active husband just dragging to get through a meal and sit in his chair :(”

Mister Mr. · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 3, 2020

“When I was prescribed Multaq for my a-fib after a hospital stay to convert me back to normal rhythm I was apprehensive because it was a new drug . However I have had very good results with it for over 8 years. Not totally normal rhythm all the time but am able to manage it and stay out of the E.R. Now my insurance has changed and it may not be covered as it is now a non formulary. I'm pretty sure that just means it's expensive and my employer does not want to contribute to help pay for it. That really sucks for me as I have had excellent results with the drug. Side effects are minimal for me as long as I take it with food as recommend and on schedule. I think this is very important as it claims to not work nearly as well otherwise.”

Connie Selvera · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 24, 2015

“I've been doing pretty good on Multaq. Started using it in 2013, copay was $50, 2014 copay was $70. 2015 copay was $80. Now I received letter from Express Script telling me I will have to pay $200 in 2016. All prices are for 90 day supply. I can't afford to pay that amount. Is there anything less costly I could take instead of Multaq?”

Cub Fan · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 16, 2018

“I was getting 3 afib episodes a day sometimes and dr. put me on Multaq. Been taking it for almost 3 years and now only get about 2 episodes a year. Insurance and coupon card have now made it a 0 copay a month. This drug really works for me.”

Jack · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2018

“I've been shocked back into rhythm about four times. My afib would just make me feel like I had the flu, I had no energy. When I would have an episode I had to go to the ER. I've had ablation once and did fine for eight months and then back into afib. Last time the doctor put me on Multag, it's been four months now with no afib.”

Lit Lady August 21, 2018

“Multaq was effective at keeping my heart in rhythm but I immediately began to have terrible muscle spasms in my thighs, back, stomach, calves and feet. It was terrible and kept me from sleeping. I was also taking Coumadin and Synthroid.”

Shirley · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 11, 2018

“I was going to the emergency room about every other month for a six hour stay each time in A-Fib for about five years. My cardiologist went on vacation and so I saw another in the same practice. He wondered why I hadn't been put on Multaq and started me on it. Haven't been to the emergency room since!”

kjmason · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 7, 2015

“I have been taking multaq since 2009, I can no longer afford it. I am also a diabetic so I take insulin my prescriptions are quite expensive. I will take it until I run out then I will hope for the best. I can't pay my living expenses and afford insurance copays and meds. So I will take care of my normal living expenses.”

Number1nana50 February 10, 2016

“I was put on Multaq after 1 episode of afib. Since then I have experienced nausea every night, loose stools several times a day and headache. My out of pocket from insurance last year was $20 for 3 months from express scripts. This month for a three month supply was $647.”

SCgirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2021

“I ended up in ER with a fib 120+ beats per minute for 3+ hours. Started Multaq the next day. Six weeks later I had a 10 hour episode. I also experience gastro problems and hot flashes to the tune of $700 per month. Call into cardiologist...no response.”

Morgsmom November 10, 2017

“I have had afib since I was 9, it lasted until I was 27, then it just went away for 29 years, a year ago it returned, episodes last 6-12 hour episodes, 2-3 monthly, I was on Multaq 500 mg 2 times a day for 6 months, with no change at all, and at the price of $600 a month I finally asked my cardiologist if we could stop it, He agreed, been 6 months without, still get the afib 2-3 times a month.”

Shifenated 14 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2018

“Taking Multaq since April 6th. Side effects are horrendous. Have been in bad pain ( stomach ) since 11 am. Have tried Gaviscon, nothing works, am also shivery and cold. Not taking the evening one as in too much pain. Couldn't spend another day in pain like this.”

kewx · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2020

“I have had 2 ablations...one with cryo and then RF. I am on multaq for 3 months and I am only just 4 weeks into the course. I do not like the drug. I am tired and weak presumably from Multaq. My face is red and dry....I have some itching. I have SOB with light exertion that I did not have previously. I believe I have vision problems with it also,.. near vision is cloudy and it does not matter what readers I use. Far vision is better. Hopefully I will be off this in 8 weeks. Maybe I'm framing Multaq like OJ but I don't think so.”

Joseph February 23, 2018

“I had a ablation after 3 months my electrophysiologist took me off of Multaq. After 10 days started having constant palpitations. Got back on multaq. I guess I needed a ablation and multaq to stay in normal sinus rhythm.”

D. · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2020

“Afib for twenty years. It has become clear that the digestive tract is the culprit for my afib. I now take a dose of miralax after lunch every day. Its cut my afib events down from once or twice a week to maybe once a month. With taking multaq its even less frequent.”

Joanne May 14, 2018

“Been on since Wednesday, today is Sunday. I take twice a day, I am on a heart monitor, since taking med, heart is beating rapidly. Ended up Friday nite in ER, with my potissum, calcium, magnesium levels low. ER physician put me on Tums and potassium, told me to see my cardiologist on Monday for blood work. I feel terrible.”

Tom · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2021

“I was recently diagnosed with both Atrial Flutter and AFIB. I have to come off the drug after the 8th dose (4th day) due to severe side effects that progressively got worse each day. My hands and feet swelled, nausea, diarrhea, pounding headaches, foggy, dizzy, loss of memory. My EP also prescribed Ranolazine (RANEXA EQ) 500mg/2xs day. I stopped taking both drugs yesterday and started taking Flecainide (Tambacor EQ) 100 MG/2xs day.”

Haggy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2020

“Had 3 A-fib episodes usually go 6 months between episodes. Now finally a drug I can tolerate, except does give me bad stomach. Hope that comes around. Was not able to take other drugs. VA pays for meds otherwise I probably would not pay the $500. Every 3 months it costs. Someone needs to get this pricing down. 8 stars because EXPENSIVE.”

Learn more about Atrial Fibrillation