User Reviews for Disulfiram to treat Alcohol Dependence (Page 2)

Also known as: Antabuse

Disulfiram Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Dependence.

Reviews for Disulfiram

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram): “Waste for me, I did not respond to this. It is not helping my alcohol problems. ”

Canuckguy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I'ts been a hit and miss venture with Antabuse, mostly hit. Sometimes I would take it for 2 months, miss a day, and then fall off the wagon that very night because I "forgot" to take it that morning. I literally cannot skip even ONE pill or else I will drink. BUT, if I take the pill every day... no drinking cravings. I can walk right by the LCBO and not be tempted. You must be vigilant when taking this med and not skip days. Put the pill where you'll see it every morning. I had mine stuffed in my desk drawer partly because I didn't want the wife knowing I was an alcoholic. The other thing that has aided me is my faith in my savior, Jesus Christ. He has given me so many chances to get my act together, and every time I fall I come crawling back to Him on my knees, crying... and He forgives me every time! Hopefully one day I will be able to stop taking Antabuse but I think it will be at least 2 years before sobriety is 'cemented'.”

Sparkle April 1, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I've tried Antabuse and sadly it didn't work for me. But I’m glad it works for so many people.”

RedV82 · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2019

Antabuse (disulfiram): “So I wouldn’t consider myself necessarily an alcoholic, I just want to keep my drinking under control. We like to drink on the weekends, but with 4 kids and a bunch of stress I noticed I started to drink a little more than I was comfortable with. So one of my BFF is a doc and I asked her to give me this med (ANTABUSE) just incase I felt like I needed it. She prescribed it and I took it 2 days in a row, but a work party came up to night and I decided to chance it because I was close to home and it was towards the end of the night. I had a few high alcohol beers and felt absolutely no side effects from this pill. Could it be that it wasn’t in my system long enough? Because EVERYTHING I read I online said it would have made me sick immediately. Any thoughts? ”

Mo · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram): “Antabuse works!!!! It really helped me stay sober for 3 months- I didn't even think about drinking because I just knew it wasn't an option. Well...a few days ago I drank 3 light beers. I was violently sick!!! I threw up 3 times couldn't even hold water in my system. I'm glad it happened because I will never drink again as long as I'm taking Antabuse.”

dbriefly · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 14, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I used Antabuse to stop drinking in the '70s - blackouts, etc. Used pure will power back then. Then I started drinking again for about 15 years after being sober for around 30. Then used Antabuse for about 3 years. We moved and I ran out of Antabuse I tried to quit again and my Primary Care Physician wouldn't prescribe it. So, found another doctor who would. Finally, at about 8.3 to 10 ounces of pure alcohol every day (computed via volume and ABV %), I've been alcohol-free for a couple of weeks. Without it, my will to be sober would have broken 100 times a day. It makes me pretty sleepy at first, but, from experience, my energy will come back. Only have to make the decision once a day.”

Thomas · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I am so frustrated. I have been on antabuse now for three months - my wife gives it to me and I really resent her. I am 50 years old, I am happy to control my drinking, but sometimes after a long day or when I am away on business, I really just want to chill with a nice cold beer. I started antabuse because once every 10 days I would get drunk, and knowing that my wife would be pissed off, I would get nasty and defensive about it. I wouldn't drive or cause any other trouble. I would drink 10 beers during the course of an afternoon, Uber home and go to sleep. I've tried AA for years now, and was on Antabuse before - never managed to abstain for more than 2 months. My view is this - I am going to drink alcohol again. The more I am forced not to, the more dangerous it becomes for me because at some stage I am going to rebel and over do it and probably kill myself. I am a successful professional, father of 3,”

Froggy101 · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I've been on disulfiram for 12 days. (Naltrexone and Topirimate were useless for me.) I still get urges, but, my motivation is FEAR. When I get the urge, I tell myself I literally CAN'T or I'll end up in the hospital. It terrorizes me! I've changed some habits, too. At 5 pm, I make sure I'm at the mall or some place etc..I've changed my eating habits. Drunks NEVER eat before they start drinking. You can't get drunk on an a full stomach. So, I eat a meal shortly before 5. This definitely helps kills the urge. I'm just now getting over the drowsiness. It DOES go away. I no longer have to get up at 2 am to drink a gallon of soda for dehydration and no longer get sick in the afternoons from withdrawal symptoms - my body hurting for 5 o'clock to roll around. I also look better. The ruddiness in my nose and cheeks have gone away. I recommend this drug if you feel you could be motivated by FEAR. That's the only mechanism you can rely on.”

Deepak August 10, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I tried acamprosate and naltraxone. Both were jokes. Finally I tried Antabuse. I heard many stories online that some could even drink on antabuse. I was in fear. It was my last chance. I wanted the drug to make me sick, terrible sick. Because I knew I would eventually experiment. Few days passed sober one day I had a urge to drink I wanted to experiment so I took a beer, afraid and scared I finished my first beer. Once the beer was in my fear vanished I ordered another and went home. Slowly I got what about to happen. A feeling of heart attack. I wasn't able to breath. But inside I was happy - my biggest fear that antabuse wouldn't work wasn't true. It was working promise. First time in my life I booked a cycle rickshaw for 10 min walking distance asked the driver to drop me at whatever price. I puked ,unlimitedly had terrible headache. I was so happy that next weeks I took my antabuse everyday. Side effects: I sleep 24*7 on weekends and wish I had more time to sleep. Too much fatigue and drowsiness.”

Anonymous1 · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2018

“I was prescribed it for alcohol dependence. Took it for 5 days, had been sober for 8 days. Started drinking like a fish after 5 days off. Maybe I'm just not ready to give up the jug. When I decide to though, I'll just stick to the AB. Not a believer in AA, and won't go to rehab. The pill works, just be careful if you drink on it.”

Marg · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I've struggled for years with daily drinking at least one bottle of wine per night but more often than not, it would progress to nearly two. I beat myself up every day with guilt and still could not get past the 5pm trigger. Say nothing about the money I was spending. $15 bottles most of the time. Went to Counsellor who referred me to a GP who prescribed Antabuse. I am now Alcohol Free for 18 days. There is no going back. I remember feeling the same resolve when I finally gave up cigarettes many years ago. DRUG FREE at last. I'm going to treat my body with the utmost respect from now on.”

TK June 27, 2018

“I've been on this medication for almost a year now for AUD (alcohol use disorder) and it's been the absolute solution for me. I never was in rehab or experience a physical dependence or withdrawal from alcohol, but I was emotionally dependent on it, especially in social situations. In 2016 I became depressed and really started abusing alcohol which led to the use of other drugs like heroin and meth. Acknowledging my mental health/life was at stake, I went to see a psychiatrist. I've been on Disulfiram for about a year and I haven't had a drink since knowing exactly what will happen. Now, when someone offers me a beer, its like they're asking me if I'd like to pass-out, vomit, sweat profusely, or experience a splitting migraine. I entertained the idea of going off of it a few months ago but I decided not to. Although willpower is important, I know myself well enough that I can cave in certain situations, and I don't look at it as weakness but rather radical acceptance.”

Jenny · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram): “After trying abstinence, hypnotherapy, meetings, I was finding that nothing worked. This was a last resort for me. After a few days of taking Antabuse medication, I drank and found it very uncomfortable to do so. My eyes were bloodshot, my face red and flushing, chest hurting and feeling nauseous, eyes blurred, dizzy and ready to pass out. Despite this, I still drank a few more times and had the exact same reaction. If I drink now I mostly throw up and pass out for a few hours and wake up really sweaty. It has really taken the joy out of drinking. Every time I drink on this medication the more adverse I feel to alcohol. I've started drinking alcohol-free alternatives because what's the point in drinking alcohol but throwing up and passing out after a single? All I know is that I will keep taking the medication, and I'm wanting to drink less and less. I wouldn't recommend this as a first port of call but if you've tried a few things and nothing seems to work then give it a go.”

Pietie · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram): “My son started to use this over the weekend. He almost died in an accident in 2014. He has been drinking severely for years. As parents who love him so much it has been such a difficult time. Lots of tears, financially cleared out, in between jobs, friends trying to help him and praying day and night for my son to stay alive. May this be the answer to our prayers. Some things we cannot do alone some of us need more help.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2018

Antabuse (disulfiram): “500 mg per day appear to make me very drowsy”

Unable to walk · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2017

“Went on Antibuse to try to save my job after having 1 incident at work. I was unlawfully fired. Went and completed in and out patient programs. After 2 months of being on the drug I started to stumble when walking, loosing weight, talking funny, becoming very week and tired. It came to the point where I am unable to walk without a walker or use a wheelchair. After much testing Dent found the cause of my health conditions to be Antibuse. Stopped taking it. Condition has worsened. I have seizures and recently developed a uncontrollable jerking of my arms. So instead of saving my job I lost everything. My health. My marriage. My house and the ability to do anything I enjoyed in life. I’m lucky to have a father and sister that assist me in everyday living.”

Arko · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2017

“Drinking for the last 40 years took the dose of 250 mg and drank 360 ml without any side effects ..... useless tablet...”

Bobby James · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram): “Been a 'problem drinker' for a long time. Alcohol is EVERYWHERE, its just too hard to have the willpower never to pick it up again, and one drink leads to many more. Antabuse should be advertised more. I wish more people new about it. I borrowed some from a friend who was done with it (yes, I know I should have seen a doctor). It works fabulously. Of course I experimented to see the affect. A half glass of beer and my face and eyes would turn red, my heart beat would increase, my breathing would change, and some degree of fatigue and dizziness might ensue. It keeps me in check in the way I want, and I've got my excuses not to drink line up when the situations arise. I find my self eating healthier and no hangovers!”

Borys · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I've been occasional drinker for 10 years and that turned into another 10 years of everyday drinking. 1.5 L of wine or 350 oz of hard liquor together with 3 bottles of 0.5L of beer. Didn't have a willpower to quit on my own ( tried too many times). 500 mg of disulfiram (Antabuse) once a day along with 2 mg of Ativan solved my issue. I got my life back. I will recommend this combination to everyone who wants to get their life, dreams, family back. I would recommend not to chose a time, day or date (e.g. January 01, first day of each month or next day after birthday). Get those pills, wake up in the morning or on your way from work and just take that ONE pill!!!!”

Divalady · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I have attempted sobriety several times, all resulting in returning to alcohol. I attempted Antabuse once and panicked. I have learned from my experiences. I have been sober for over 3 months now, started Antabuse two weeks ago. Now it is my system I could not rate it high enough but would stress being in the correct state of mind is essential. I have not succeeded in the past but am extremely confident that I can and will this time. SIDE EFFECTS OF ANTABUSE Tiredness Headaches Spots SIDE EFFECTS OF ALCOHOL Blackouts Vomiting Hangovers Memory Loss Cost Time in Hospital Loss of Bladder/Bowel Control Physical Damage to self (accidents, broken bones) Seizures Embarrassment After effects due to behavior whilst drunk. PREFERENCE?”

Christine M. S. May 3, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram): “Absolutely changed my life and made sobriety possible. Should be prescribed more often. I've read that in other countries it's more widely available and used. I thank the heavens for it and I thank my doctor for explaining to me about it and providing me with it. Call it training wheels for good decision making...”

Chris. S. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 3, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram): “this drug literally saved my life. I had a routine where after work everyday I would go to the liquor store, get a 40oz and knock it back, before heading to the bar. I did this for years. When I finally hit a wall (it's a long story) I saw a few different healthcare professionals, one of whom was a psychiatrist and he prescribed me Antabuse. He explained it to me very well, and asked me if I would try it and I agreed. The thing about it is, this drug forces you to change your habits. It gives you the time you need to think things through and make different decisions. While I was taking Antabuse I had to take the time and thought required to figure out other things to do with my time. It was a process. IT WORKED. Sober 9yrs.”

Kempff April 2, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I've been taking it for a week after a long period of heavy drinking. I've tried other drugs to stop cravings but with little success. The Antabuse gives me no choice but to not drink. The hard part is taking it but once I did I felt a sense of relief knowing I wasn't going to drink that day. It's not easy but it does work or at least give you a break to get your thinking straight.”

Scooter1994 · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2017

Antabuse (disulfiram): “I finally feel relived that I have control over my craving to drink everyday. I am really happy that I can go into a bar and hang out with my friends and not drink. I am from WI and have basically been drinking since 15. I spent 27 years in the Navy and drank like a sailor. I was a Navy pilot and it was definitely part of the culture. I have been a binge drinker since the beginning. Now I am a businessman and always under constant pressure. Business dinners all the time and a large expense account do not help. I found myself self medicating with alcohol everyday. Just started Antabuse two weeks ago and now I feel in control. Naltrexone was a joke. I could power through that. It was really hard to get prescribed. No side effects”

z¥z · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2017

“Just started 5 days ago”

Learn more about Alcohol Dependence

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)