User Reviews for Ampyra

Multiple Sclerosis 52 reviews 87 medications

8.3
Summary of Ampyra reviews 52 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Ampyra

For Multiple Sclerosis "**This is a missing side effect that should've been noted in the prescription information! *** For the first two years this medication came out I continue to use it along with my disease management drug. I was taking tecfidera. These two medications combined drastically slow down your lower intestinal. Ampyra lists constipation as a minor, less common side effect. After some research with my doctor he researched the medications in medical journals and the chemical compounds and he thought two should not be taken together for this particular reason."

Jarl5150 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "I was diagnosed with MS in August 2016. I am a dance instructor, and noticed that I was limping, especially after class. I had foot drop, numbness, Charlie horses and cramping at night. I have 2 small children who keep me active as well. MS totally changed my quality of life. I am taking Copaxone 3 times a week, but it doesn't help with the symptoms. I read about Ampyra, and because my main gripe about MS is the way I walk, I decided to ask my Neurologist if I could try it. I've been on it for a week and already notice a difference. I'm hoping with time that it'll do more for me. I chased my son around the park this weekend and noticed a huge difference when I taught class yesterday. Very glad I tried it!"

Mo Lilac April 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "Ampyra is a MIRACLE for me. I have been on one pill a day for exactly one month. I have had MS symptoms since 2005 but was not diagnosed and put on Copaxone until last year. I have experienced two years of extremely heavy legs while just standing for more than 15 minutes, expecially my left leg. My life had changed dramatically. Having to use a rollator when I left the house. My neuro finally prescribed Ampyra after asking for the last two years. After two weeks, I noticed that my stamina was much better. At one month, I could not believe it! No more heavy legs at all. I could stand and do housework for more than an hour. No side effects. I take one pill about 10 a.m. It runs $40 for a 30 day supply. Wonderful pill so far"

pixietwin (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "I am very disappointed. I had tried Ampyra about 3 years ago and found no effects at all. At the urging of my neurologist, I tried again this year. For symptoms, I am taking Provigil & Baclofen. I take Copaxone as a disease modifying agent. Previous to restarting Ampyra, I was doing 1/4 mile on a treadmill 3 times per day plus one mile on the elliptical at night. My legs felt very heavy on the first day of Ampyra. I might have done just one rep on the treadmill. I thought possibly that my body was adjusting to the medicine, so I gave it about one week. I found it difficult to do my daily treadmill. Legs also were throbbing slightly at the end of the day. This medicine had a negative effect. I am out a $300 copay."

Vynderma (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "MS since 2002- 58 year old with poor balance , weak right leg and foot drop, I use brace, rollator and wheelchair. Started Ampyra 6 days ago, the first 3 days or so I was mildly lightheaded and it seemed the neuropathy in my legs was increased, but I was also feeling sensations I haven't felt in long time! Day 4 I felt a surge of energy and was all over the house. Today day 6th I was able to walk more than I have in years without crying of exaustion or my legs giving out, legs so much stronger! I am beyond exited that this is all happening so fast and very happy I got brave enough to try Ampyra. And yes around the 11th hour you know when medication is wearing off, so if you start Ampyra carry pills with you :). Good luck!"

AnneKilleenTX September 16, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "20+ years of RR without awareness/disability. When it changed to SD with dizziness, poor balance, many falls, intense fatigue, foot drop, diminished walking, muscle spasms, bladder & bowel issues, MRIs confirmed without argument. I participated in Canadian study of "Fampyra" with measurements of ability before and after administration. Improvements were marked and I certainly couldn't deny the disease. Progression is manageable. When "Fampyra" was approved for use by Health Canada I continued on it. My insurer does not cover. I'm so grateful to be able to continue. Neurologist remains satisfied and so am I. It's not a cure. Comments of other users encourage physiotherapy to "keep and improve the ability I have". Thanks, I needed that!"

Ditchdaisy (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 29, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "Worked for me within 10 days. I was using a leg brace and cane, and once it started working I've never used them since. Most annoying side effect is frequent bladder infections, but work with a urologist to control them. This drug saved my life."

Stella Rondo May 4, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "Recently diagnosed with MS (December, 2015 - 3 months ago) The MS specialist at UTHSC San Antonio prescribed Ampyra. I had extreme weakness in my right leg and some weakness in my right ankle, causing some problems walking and forcing me to cut way back on my biking and to go to traditional flat pedals as I could no longer work my foot well enough to use single entry clip in road bike pedals. Started Ampyra March 8, 2016 and within 48 hours I noticed a HUGE difference in leg function. It's now been two weeks and I'm back to using clip in pedals (MTB dual entry alas) on my bike and up to 30 miles per ride @ 15 mph, up from 20 miles @ 10 mph. That's a true quantitative measurement of improved function. Don't wait to try this stuff."

Ken Hylton (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "Ampyra is the only drug that has been helpful to me with the exception of Tysabri which I was forced to quit. I have been diagnosed with MS for over 10 years and have gone from RRMS to SPMS over the past three years or so. I read about Ampyra a number of years ago but was afraid to try it because of all the side effects. I wish I had tried it along time ago! I used to walk hugging the wall for balance and sometimes used a cane. I have only been on it for two weeks now and my balance is hundred percent better. I do not use the wall at all. I also have a left arm that wants to contract up so that it I hold it in front of my abdomen. I have noticed in the last day or so that my arm no hangs almost straight. Don't be afraid, try it!"

MsOllie (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "Ampyrya is amazing! I've only been taking this for a week and a half and love it! After 4 days of taking it I noticed substantial improvement! I am able to walk unassisted and stand for longer periods of time, feel like I have more energy and am looking forward to doing more things with my kids! AFO is still needed, but I feel so much better!"

AllieMSmom October 4, 2015

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "It has been a month now, vertigo gone after a few days, a couple of nights pain in my upper arms but not every night. Overall I seem to be able to do more, but not as much as I want. Hopefully this will continue to get better."

Diana1021 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2015

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "2 days on Ampyra and already noting difference. As I get close to the end of the 12 hours, I do see a lessening of benefits, and I have also experienced the vertigo while lying down. But overall, I am looking forward to seeing how much my walking and standing improve."

Diana1021 May 16, 2015

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "I was diagnosed with MS 2006. I found myself with a loss of balance. I fell so much at my work I gave my co workers at the gym score card as to how I fell. I have a sense of humor which helps me get through this new found life. My dr told me about ampyra after I started taking this drug my falls decreased. We haven't had to score any of my falls in over a year."

megaw (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2015

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "Ampyra has been great for me. One of the biggest improvements is that I can stand up for longer periods of time. Before, I got tired and had to sit within 5 or so minutes. Now I can stand longer. My legs don't feel quite so heavy and my foot drop is better. A couple of times, by accident, I have missed taking my medicine and the change was very evident. When I got back on schedule, again I was much better. I am so glad to have this medication!"

Jiggles March 24, 2015

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "I've been on Amprya almost a year and still able to walk a short distance without assistance. Maybe 3 steps but its better then not moving."

carla jean speciale (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 26, 2015

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "I have been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis for 17 years. I started Ampyra 3 years ago and since then I am more stable. I walk a little bit faster and get a lot more done in a day. Right after I started Ampyra I was able to snowboard with my kids, something I never thought would have been possible."

Junae (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2015

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1988. Since I started taking AMPYRA (8/2013), I have experienced marked improvement in cognition, speech, diaphragm and core muscle strength. These gains were accomplished with the help of P.T. and O.T. professionals and continuous improvement efforts on my part (range of motion and exercise). Benchmarking and goal setting has helped me recognize the drastic changes taking place. Specifically, hand and finger dexterity, arm and shoulder range of motion, trunk stability, legs, feet and overall muscle regeneration after years of chronic deconditioning. The results are readily apparent to my Physicians, family, care team, friends."

aCHILLD January 3, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "My experience with Ampyra is... really great. I love the medicine because even when I don't want to walk I walk fast."

Liza Jenkins (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 26, 2014

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "It has definitely helped majorly with my arm function, my husband can tell and I can too, if I have no pills left or haven't taken them, my arms go around a little like gummy then. When I did a lot of walking, didn't care how fast I was, just happy to even be able to do it."

mommy of 5 August 12, 2014

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "I love Ampyra. I have been taking Ampyra for 3 months I feel much stronger I'm back going to the gym every morning for 2 hours."

ciccioi July 15, 2014

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "Started taking 3-4 yrs ago in early 50's while transitioning from RR into SP. Early on saw subtle improvement with only mild constipation, but was unable to go without AFO. Past year in SP, balance and gait worsened where use AFO & cane fulltime. Decided a month ago to stop taking. Balance much better. Gait seems unaffected. Living with SP is definitely different from RR."

K-man (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2014

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "Doctor said I was headed for a wheelchair but now I hardly get asked 'what happened to your foot?' . If I concentrate while I'm walking, I can almost look like nothing is even wrong. Plus, I haven't fallen in over 6 months."

MonsterSlayer (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "This med is a wonder drug for me. I saw a difference in my walking speed w/in 2 weeks with only the 10mg use. As I moved up to the full 20mg daily I found I had more energy, didn't need my daily nap and even have done some light gardening. Last night I walked down a 3 story spiral staircase when leaving a concert (holding on to the rail and holding hands with my husband). My ONY negative is with the "Speciality" pharma which we are forced to use. (No choice they are the only pharma for this med.) Accredo is enough of a hassle (even for my MS renowned DR), I may stop if I have to deal with them monthly. Don't be afraid of the seizures warning in the info. W/ the time release pill it seems not to be an issue if take correctly."

YLGram October 19, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "I feel that my legs are a bit stronger on this medication. It's great to feel a bit more confident when walking."

militarymama (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2013

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Multiple Sclerosis "Ampyra has been a Godsend for me! Before I started taking it, I was a "wall-walker". I always had to hold onto a wall before I took a step. Now I am walking without assistance. I saw improvement after my second dose. Now I am exercising again which makes me feel so much better-mentally and physically. I was 51 before I was diagnosed and not being able to walk made my life miserable. Now, I feel like I am more of a "normal" person than I have been in 20 years! Thanks Ampyra!"

national champs (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2013