User Reviews for Cabergoline

Also known as: Dostinex

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cabergoline.

Hyperprolactinemia

Summary of Cabergoline reviews 8.0 42 reviews

Reviews for Cabergoline

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I've been on Cabergoline 0.25 for 2 weeks now for hyperprolactinemia caused by a Microadenoma. Before I started taking it I came on here for reviews and almost said no to it because all these comments about the side affects made me so nervous. I'll sit here and be the one to say this medication gave me next to NO side effects. I had a pretty bad headache for the first 2 times, after that I have no side effects at all. No idea if my prolactin level is any lower, but I feel my vision coming back slowly and less frequent dizziness. Hoping a few more weeks I can get back to my regular routine."

Rach100 October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "32 yr. old male. prolactin levels 55.9. I've been on cabergoline for 4 weeks now. My lab results came back and I am now within the healthy range at 9.9. I went maybe 2 weeks with bad nausea and headaches then they subsided and those effects are less intense and less frequent. I rated a 7 because the medicine certainly works, and quickly at bringing down prolactin, I do not know the results about it shrinking the adenoma or not yet so I am still unsure if it works on that front. So far so good. While the side effects were annoying and disrupted my daily life, it is certainly better than the alternative of surgery to remove the "noma" from my pituitary gland."

L. Joe August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "Just had an awful night from the effects of Cabergoline 0.5mg ..felt like there was poison in stomach and the abdominal pain is just too much. Had to vomit and had diarrhoea at the same time. It just happened so sudden. Most time just had bad cramps and abdominal pain. Bad times I get this combo of pain diarrhoea vomit and dizzy. 4 hours usually of intense abdominal pain And nightmare. I had started on the meds 9 years ago and stopped because of the cost and the cost for the Doc and the pain. But it works. It brought down the prolactin and menstrual does comes back. but once I stop he meds everything went back to the same prolactin level >250. Wish there's no side effect. It's a painful experience and since I had to take it every week."

Est W July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dostinex (cabergoline) for Hyperprolactinemia: "Three months ago have used dostinex for 4 weeks, two times a week half pill, so one pill a week! Before I have started to use dostinex my prolactine level was 589! After I used it for 4 weeks, prolactine level dropped down to 36. I was stupid I guess and I stopped using it. Now I am back on dostinex again because prolactine level went up to 600. Please if you are using dostinex regularly check with your doctor. That is my strong advice, don't be stupid like I was. Dostinex helped me with my prolactine. Thank you all"

Najko July 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I have been on Cabergoline for about a month now, after being diagnosed with ridiculously high prolactin levels, and all sorts of problems from lactating to extreme fatigue. After reading all of the reviews listing horrific side effects, I was really nervous about it, and was considering holding out for surgery instead. However, I'm pleased to report that I'm able to give a positive review. I have had no side effects at all (apart from mild constipation in the couple of days immediately after taking each tablet). I am more focussed, I am less fatigued and I've even had a period (very light). I know that it's early days, and I've got follow up appointments in the coming weeks, but I am glad to be able to report a positive experience."

Nicegirl06 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I had a 4.3 cm prolactinoma with prolactin level at 9500. Taking 0.5 mg every other day. Biggest side effect is costs and availability. Wal Mart pharmacy always does a partial fill as they are always out of stock. Internet search for average price yields nothing. Shame on these drug companies. Levels now at 600.......To Maleka on a previous post with ice pick pain headache, you may have trigeminal neuralgia. Your cure is tegretol. Been there done that, good luck"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "28yo female, I was first diagnosed with a 13mm prolactinoma, which was later figured out to be a non-functioning pituitary tumor. Turns out, after seeing an expert surgeon, it is a Rathke's Cleft Cyst on the pituitary stalk. After no results of improved hormone levels with 4 months of Bromocriptine, I started Cabergoline .5 mg, 2 times a week. Symptoms such as extreme dizziness and lightheadedness occurred, but after nearly 6 months on the medication, it's not as bad. Mood changes and depression began after a couple months, and I hope to have my dosage decreased next week. All of my hormone levels were normal within 2-3 months, but I'm not sure I can deal with mood swings and depression. RCC's don't normally shrink with medication."

Julia VK June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I am on week 9 pf 0.5 mg once/week for two micro-prolactinomas on my pituitary gland. I will have labs done at week 12 to see if my prolactin level has decreased. This condition and/or medication has given me side effects that absolutely challenge me and affect my quality of life. EXTREME fatigue, hair loss, excruciating head aches, depression, nausea/vomiting, menstrual (like) cramps, bloating, excessive urination (up every 90 mins all night) dizziness, vision loss, etc. It has been extremely difficult to go to work & function well ."

Dolly44 June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I've been on this medicine for 6 years. I've noticed while being on the medicine. I've been able to lose weight regularly. And my period comes but comes back heavy. I've been to the doctor about the heavy bleeding and they just gave me birth control pills to stop the bleeding. Since I was bleeding for almost a entire month, in my mind I thought it was just backed up periods but now they are blood clots so I'm hopefully going to get seen soon."

Kperez135 June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dostinex (cabergoline) for Hyperprolactinemia: "I used dostinex 2 years ago for a few months. I had nausea and vomiting the first few days, but I continued taking it for a year and the side affects went away. My prolactin went from just over 200 down to 94. It also helped me to lose weight. I had to stop taking it because it was too expensive. I started taking it again 2 weeks ago and the only side affect I have is mild headaches."

lexerose31 June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "Just started taking Cabergoline. I'm excited! I've gained weight and can't seen to lose weight due to high prolactin. I'm so ready to be normal again"

Marnita March 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I am 34 years of age male and for years since 2003 when I was just 21 years of age started feeling really depressed and started suffering with anxiety but prior in the build up to this I had also suffered from depleted sex drive foggy memory moods swings low energy always needed an afternoon nap to get me through the day no matter how much sleep I had. Any way I had been going docs for years I was prescribed Citalopram which did 90% eradicate the anxiety and definitely the depression but I still suffered with the other symptoms. I always told them how I felt had tests for diabetes checked my thyroid etc all come back clear. Long story short found out I had a pituitary tumour and took Carbegoline and everything cleared up felt great!!!!!"

Gaz888 February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dostinex (cabergoline) for Hyperprolactinemia: "I was told this drug would fix my symptoms in 12 months but I had to take it for almost 10 years and my hormone levels fluctuated greatly over that time."

Joyjen February 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I am one month in take this pill 0.5mg every 3-4 days and I feel extremely dizzy, more dizzy than before I took it, it's hard to focus but I also feel it is doing its job and lowering my prolactin levels to where they need to be. I'm stopping the meds for now because the dizzy is to much, I take anti nausea meds and antivertigo meds and they work for a bit but they wear off and it comes back more intense I'm going this week to check my levels again, the pills works the side effects are rough."

Zuxyun (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dostinex (cabergoline) for Hyperprolactinemia: "Before I was using parlodel which is the same medicine for reducing prolactin. My prolactin is 49 and facing irregular periods. Previously I faced horrible side effects but with dostinex I am very happy no side effects just feel sleepy some time."

Adimaan November 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "It has reduced my prolactin levels effectively, and it increases testosterone to some extent. The side effects are loss of motivation, and finding mental exertion more tiring, which can be a real problem at work. The side effects seem to be dose dependant so I break the pills into quarters or eighths and take them more often to eliminate the peaks after dosing. I've also been able to reduce the dose whilst still keeping the prolactin levels in the middle of the normal range, which has also helped with side effects."

nkl (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "My Prolactin level was 75 and after less than 5 weeks, my Prolactin went down to normal. The side-effects were extreme the first 2-3 weeks (burning headaches, nausea, depression). At this point (6 weeks in), I mostly suffer the side-effects when I haven't slept enough. I hadn't had my period since December 2015 and got my first real period a week ago. I'm not sure if my 4mm benign tumor has shrunk yet, but at least I know that the medicine is working. When taking this drug I've found that that it is really important to sleep well, eat healthy and exercise frequently, to eliminate side-effects. I'd absolutely recommend it!"

Sois May 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dostinex (cabergoline) for Hyperprolactinemia: "Avoid this drug at all costs! I took it to bring down my prolactin levels which it did but I had some extreme side effects. Severe depression, fatigue, lack of motivation just to name a few."

Ange A May 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dostinex (cabergoline) for Hyperprolactinemia: "I have been taking dostinex/cabergoline for 14 years. The main constant side effect is headaches. It feels like an ice pick is stabbing me in my head for a couple of seconds and then it goes away just as quickly as it started. It only happens maybe a couple times a month. I also find I get tired more easily and sometimes need to rest during the day. in addition, my vision has worsened. I stopped the medicine for about a year now and I'm getting dizzy quite often lately and my vision is worse. I fear my tumor has grown and need to see my endocrinologist again. God bless all"

Malecka (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "The day after taking the medication I felt nausea and sinus pressure for few hours in the morning. I took the pill with dinner. My Prolactin levels were reduced."

BeBe65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I was put on this medication because my prolactin levels were 76 and they retested and they were 54 which was still high and I also have pcos....I have been on cabergoline for 2 weeks and has absolutely NO side effects!!! My cycles have been extremely irregular and I haven't had a period since December 2015 after being on cabergoline for a week my period came out of nowhere! It seems to be doing its job and hopefully it will help me in my journey of trying to conceive!"

Deejay389 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I've been taking it for about two weeks now because I have a prolactinoma and so far the side effects have been fatigue, extreme headache and my ears pop a lot as if I'm on an airplane, flu like symptoms stuff nose drowsy dizzy but it's not that bad. Also, really bad stomach pain so I usually take it before I sleep."

GinaFbaby December 23, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I'm using dostinex it works for me"

Pedra December 12, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I have a pituitary adenoma that causes high prolactin levels. The cabergoline gave me bad side effects first 2 weeks. Gradually got less severe. Prolactin levels became normal. Not sure if tumor is shrinking. But last MRI showed no growth."

Bonnie W November 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperprolactinemia: "I was on Bromocripton for two years. The side effects were depression, weight gain, extreme nausea and extreme constipation. I've now been transferred to Dostinex and spent the last year without the side effects and it's been life changing!!! I'm so thankful for this opportunity to feel normal again!"

Shelli a (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2015