User Reviews for Cabergoline

Also known as: Dostinex

Learn more about Cabergoline.

Cabergoline Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Hyperprolactinemia.

Reviews for Cabergoline to treat Hyperprolactinemia

"It has reduced my prolactin levels effectively, and it increases testosterone to some extent. The side effects are loss of motivation, and finding mental exertion more tiring, which can be a real problem at work. The side effects seem to be dose dependant so I break the pills into quarters or eighths and take them more often to eliminate the peaks after dosing. I've also been able to reduce the dose whilst still keeping the prolactin levels in the middle of the normal range, which has also helped with side effects."

nkl (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2016

"My Prolactin level was 75 and after less than 5 weeks, my Prolactin went down to normal. The side-effects were extreme the first 2-3 weeks (burning headaches, nausea, depression). At this point (6 weeks in), I mostly suffer the side-effects when I haven't slept enough. I hadn't had my period since December 2015 and got my first real period a week ago. I'm not sure if my 4mm benign tumor has shrunk yet, but at least I know that the medicine is working. When taking this drug I've found that that it is really important to sleep well, eat healthy and exercise frequently, to eliminate side-effects. I'd absolutely recommend it!"

Sois May 13, 2016

Dostinex (cabergoline): "Avoid this drug at all costs! I took it to bring down my prolactin levels which it did but I had some extreme side effects. Severe depression, fatigue, lack of motivation just to name a few."

Ange A May 9, 2016

Dostinex (cabergoline): "I have been taking dostinex/cabergoline for 14 years. The main constant side effect is headaches. It feels like an ice pick is stabbing me in my head for a couple of seconds and then it goes away just as quickly as it started. It only happens maybe a couple times a month. I also find I get tired more easily and sometimes need to rest during the day. in addition, my vision has worsened. I stopped the medicine for about a year now and I'm getting dizzy quite often lately and my vision is worse. I fear my tumor has grown and need to see my endocrinologist again. God bless all"

Malecka (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2016

"The day after taking the medication I felt nausea and sinus pressure for few hours in the morning. I took the pill with dinner. My Prolactin levels were reduced."

BeBe65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

"I was put on this medication because my prolactin levels were 76 and they retested and they were 54 which was still high and I also have pcos....I have been on cabergoline for 2 weeks and has absolutely NO side effects!!! My cycles have been extremely irregular and I haven't had a period since December 2015 after being on cabergoline for a week my period came out of nowhere! It seems to be doing its job and hopefully it will help me in my journey of trying to conceive!"

Deejay389 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2016

"I've been taking it for about two weeks now because I have a prolactinoma and so far the side effects have been fatigue, extreme headache and my ears pop a lot as if I'm on an airplane, flu like symptoms stuff nose drowsy dizzy but it's not that bad. Also, really bad stomach pain so I usually take it before I sleep."

GinaFbaby December 23, 2015

"I'm using dostinex it works for me"

Pedra December 12, 2015

"I have a pituitary adenoma that causes high prolactin levels. The cabergoline gave me bad side effects first 2 weeks. Gradually got less severe. Prolactin levels became normal. Not sure if tumor is shrinking. But last MRI showed no growth."

Bonnie W November 14, 2015

"I was on Bromocripton for two years. The side effects were depression, weight gain, extreme nausea and extreme constipation. I've now been transferred to Dostinex and spent the last year without the side effects and it's been life changing!!! I'm so thankful for this opportunity to feel normal again!"

Shelli a (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2015

"My son was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor in 2011, he was given this drug 2 times a week and in 6 weeks the tumor had shrunk over 50%. He continued to take this medication for the next 3 1/2 years under the care of his neurosurgeon. Last month he had to have open heart surgery at the age of 22 for a condition called constrictive paracarditis directly related to this drug. Please read the inserts of your medication. just because they are doctors and neurosurgeons doesn't mean they don't make mistakes."

ashley6923 October 7, 2015

"I have a macro non functioning pituitary adenoma which is causing compression of my pituirtary stalk "stalk effect" which causes increases in prolactin blood levels. My endo put me on this to reduce the 'stalk effect' I'm suffering from my macro adenoma. My crushing headaches have weakened, the lactating stopped and my period is back on schedule. However the side effects are extreme. They last about 5 days after taking my dose for the week. The nausea is unbearable, causing me to take a drug for that at $104/mth as I spent all day vomiting. I have what I describe as a feeling of being drunk and hungover all at once. I can't drive, but for two days a week. So tired, dizzy, weak, low blood pressure, flu like. I am hoping for surgery soon, but I live so remotely logistics make it difficult, as I'm 13 hours from the specialists. I rated a 5 as the headaches were horrid, but so are the side effects."

TinyOne76 August 14, 2015

"I just started .50mg of cabergoline friday to lower prolactin and tumor on my pituitary glad. Saturday I felt so groggy, body hurt like I had the flu, bloating and drugged. It's Sunday and I still feel weak with a upset stomach. I'm trying to be patient and work thru side Effects. Any advice to minimize side effects. Will be calling my endo in the morning"

neener150 June 28, 2015

Dostinex (cabergoline): "This drug reduced my prolactin levels really quick. I did not have a visible prolactinoma on my MRI but my doctor suspected it was really small. After 2 months my prolactin levels decreased from 2000 to 150. In the first month I felt a bit dizzy and wanted to sleep a lot more than usual (I had a few cat naps which is heaps out of character for me - I never usually sleep during the day) . This went away after about month and I generally feel fine taking Dostinex. I've been taking it for about 6 months now. I recommend you give it a go!"

queenoflove10101 May 31, 2015

"Cabergoline has been effective in lowering my prolactin levels and shrinking my tumor. However, the side effects are rough. Dizziness, extremely tired, nearly constant nausea, which often leads to vomiting. Cabergoline is better than the other two medications I have tried though."

Guest 2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2015

"I have been diagnosed by micro prolactinoma (4x9 mm) about a month ago. My prolactin levels were around 150 ng/ml. I started using Cabergoline 0.25 mg twice a week. At the end of only one month, my prolactin levels dropped from 150 to 3 ng/ml. I have been told to use it for about 2 years to eventually shrink the tumor. The side effects were (especially in the first 2 weeks) nausea, extreme fatigue, and depression. I started on Zoloft for the depression and it worked pretty well."

Esyn (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2015

"The only side effects I get are stuffy nose and headaches. Stuffy noses are supposedly an unusual side effect, but I get one every time I take cabergoline."

Lilly2015 February 2, 2015

"I've been taking cabergoline for about a month now and my first 2 weeks i had really bad headaches and stomach aches the next day. Now i just experience a very bloated stomach like twice a week which is annoying. I'm hoping that stops and i lose some of this weight gain because of this high prolactin."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2014

"My prolaction levels are down now from 35000 to 330, my headache is going away day after day and also I have lost some weight. Also my sex drive is fabulous no joke from once every month before it into 40 times weekly. I feel normal again so I love it."

M A (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2014

"This medicine has worked wonders for me, my prolaction levels are down, my periods back to normal and also I have lost 8lbs only been taking it for 6 weeks, also my sex drive is fabulous. I feel normal again I feel like myself. There is one downside, my nose is always blocked, but all the positives out way the negatives. 0.5 twice a week."

Louiset (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2014

Dostinex (cabergoline): "Ive been taking Cabergoline for 7 years and it has helped keep my prolactin level normal. I can take it anytime of the day and it doesnt bother my stomach, i do get dizzy easier on this medicine."

JKL 75 November 13, 2013

"I just took three doses of 0.25mg cabergoline but I developed severe headache and even fainted. My doctor suggested to stop medication for about a month."

Anonymous June 28, 2013

"I took cabergoline twice a week (at night) for 5 months. The day after each dose, I felt extremely tired, nauseous, dizzy, constipated and had a numbing headache. The symptoms got worse over time."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2012

"It did alleviate the uncomfortable symptoms of hyperprolactinemia; however, side effects were quite negative and possibly dangerous for me. I'm petite and despite a very small dose taken bi-weekly, the side effects were strong. The morning after taking a dose it was difficult to wake up and I slept through alarms on many occasions. My blood pressure also dropped to very low levels and I had to be cautious when standing up to avoid passing out. My prolactin levels are always elevated, but I only experience symptoms every 3 months for a week or 2 when I cycle to the off-week of my estrogen-replacement birth control pills. My doctor and I decided that the constant side-effects were worse than the occasional, though uncomfortable, symptoms for me."

Anonymous September 16, 2011

"This medicine worked great for me in reducing my prolacting producing tumor"

Anonymous November 9, 2010