User Reviews for Cabergoline to treat Hyperprolactinemia

Cabergoline has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 68 ratings for the treatment of Hyperprolactinemia. 66% of those users who reviewed Cabergoline reported a positive effect, while 4% reported a negative effect.

Cabergoline Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 3 medications used in the treatment of Hyperprolactinemia.

35% 24
0% 0
3% 2

Reviews for Cabergoline

catesennui · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 13, 2020

“It's been almost one year since discovering a pituitary microadenoma and starting the treatment with cabergoline, 1 mg/week. Haven't taken any blood test since then to check on the prolactin levels, but next year will do so in order to establish if the tumor has shrunk or if I need to take the meds for another 1 to 3 years. My initial side effects were sleepiness, a stuffed nose, anxiety and panic attacks. But it hasn't made changes in personality at all. No increased sexual drive (my boyfriend would've loved that), no urges to buy stuff, no depression or clouded thinking. Nowadays, I rarely get a stuffed nose and haven't had an anxiety attack in months. I believe that every person experiences this treatment differently, but don't be afraid to take it. For the majority, myself included, taking cabergoline is a good experience, the chances of you having a negative reaction to it is possible, but minimal.Take care and I wish all of you good health and good luck in your endeavours.”

Unicorn36 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2020

“I've been on .7 Monday and .5 on Friday for a week and no more lactation. I've started having weird dreams 3 days after I started the upped dose but I'm sleeping again so I'm hoping to tough it out. I'm hoping symptoms go away or lessen. Oh and I'm also having sharp pain in belly and bottom. I read somewhere that symptoms go away with time.”

Unicorn36 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 26, 2020

“I've been on cabergoline for 6 months. It went too well I didn't notice I needed to up my medication. I start .7 tomorrow. I hope that finally helps my lose weight.”

Leslieann · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2020

“I've been taking cabergoline for four-months now and surprisingly the worst side effect I've experienced is constipation and drowsiness.”

Chiddy · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2020

“I am totally down since around 4pm took the drugs by 11am nausea, is dealing with me badly”

pat · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2020

Dostinex (cabergoline): “i just started dostinex , it is my second week and the side effects are headaches and dizziness, I feel sick as ever, I did not get sleep, it is better to take it with meal at night to get less side effects. My prolactin was 77.4 waiting for next week to see if it decreases . I used parlodel 5 years ago but I stopped because of side effects and it has not decrease my prolactin, .So far dostinex is better”

kentwoman September 1, 2020

“Husbands got pituitary tumour (prolactin 30,000) been on Cabergoline 2 half tabs since oct 19, NO COUNSELLING WHATSOVER FROM DOCS. He's a split personality. Found him on dating website Oct 19, been chatting women up in shops, neighbours. March 20, paid for dating websites, been chatting to women, chatting up women, getting phone no's. Wants to wear younger clothes, get tanned, haircuts, talks endlessly about past, can remember more now about last 50 yrs. Wants me to wear tarty clothes, makeup etc. Wants sex 24/7. Is lusting after anything with boobs when we go out. I feel a real spare part. He's buying printed T shirts all the time. Spent £100's on dating websites. We've been married 46 yrs, I'm here as a sex toy, cleaner etc till he decides that he's found someone younger and more up for sex than me. I AM OVER HIM AND WANT TO MOVE OUT! Upside is the prolactins levels down to 300!”

Squish · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 1, 2020

“I started Cabergoline in 2014. I’m a female and had irregular periods my entire life. FINALLY my primary thought to check my prolactin levels (at age 33). My libido immediately went through the roof. I cheated on my ex-husband and went through a divorce. I don’t consider this a negative side effect as I didn’t realize how unhappy I was until I actually had a sex drive (although it was absolutely impulsive behavior for me..). This decreased over time. Aside from that, I have lost 120lbs over the past several years. There is no way this is a coincidence. I could not lose weight my entire life otherwise despite various diets and exercise. With Cabergoline the weight just fell off. I have not been on the med for several months now, and no symptoms have returned although my libido has decreased a bit. My weight has not increased. Cabergoline changed my life, but for the better.”

Jazmine · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2020

“Im a 23yo female, I just recently found out about the tumor 4 months ago & was prescribed cabergoline. Before I started this medication , I was good with my life , happy & stabled but now that I have started this journey , I am depressed again but this time it’s worst. I can’t control my emotions at all & when I mean at all I literally mean at all. I’ve been crying every single day heavily for a whole day , I’ve been treating the ones I love wrong because of my mood swings & how fast I switch up for no reason at all. I’ve been more tired than normally. I get hot flashes & cold sweats left & right. I feel nauseous all the time & bloated & I honestly just don’t feel like myself anymore. I feel like I’ve lost myself so badly. The only good thing about this medication that I am thankful for is getting my periods back. Other than that this medication & the journey I’m on with it still is really really rough & I’m just tired of all of it.”

"Ed" August 8, 2020

“Male, upper 40's. Currently taking 3mg/week of cabergoline. Diagnosed in lat 2018 with a macro-prolactinoma. Tumor was 3.2cm x 3.1cm x 2.9cm in size. Prolactin levels were 5,250 ng/Ml, now 5.3. My advise to anyone taking this drug is to be very open in discussing issues with your doctors, and your partner. Do not be afraid to ask for help from trusted friends/coworkers around you. Find an outlet for stress. Oh, and avoid alcohol. :) After a year of taking the drug my tumor was reduced in size by 30%. Sex drive went through the roof. Handled that extra energy/stress with exercise, went to a low carb diet , take Levothyroxine for thyroid, added supplements including DHEA. I lost about 100lbs, and 12" off my waist. Two years out, the tumor is growing again. I'm going to have surgery. Working out like mad. I biked over 100 miles this week. My sex drive is crazy, but I feel like I'm in more control. No infidelity, but temptations are daily for sure.”

Ada · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2020

“First week on cabergoline, I had dull vision and weakness and needed to sleep all day till whenever. Sleep was not enough. And I had bloated stomach, weakness and tasteless tongue. This drug is also expensive and very strong. Taken 2 twice weekly. God help us all and give us sweet miracle”

KB88 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

“I was diagnosed with hyperprolactinoma about 4 months ago after 8 months of missed periods. I was put on Cabergoline. I read so many scary reviews about how horrible people felt on it. I have to say this drug is miraculous. Within 3 days of taking it, my period came back, and my depression, anxiety and mental fog lifted within a week. People with high prolactin levels develop anxiety and mental fog but it happens so gradually you dont realize it until you actually start to feel well. As far as symptoms go, the first two weeks I felt a little lightheaded right after taking the pill, and a slight stuffy nose. But that was it, and by the third week my body was used to it and I was symptom free. I have also lost about 10 lbs since I began taking it. Apparently high prolactin levels are responsible for stubborn hormonal weight gain particularly in the belly area. I feel like my old self again and i couldn't be happier with this drug.”

carrotcakelady February 23, 2020

“Husbands had 'bulky' pituitary, prolactin level 29,000, taking dostinex since Oct 2019. Had virtual reality dreams, high sexual urges, erections at most inconvenient times. Sees me as girlfriend, married 45 yrs. Was caught on senior dating website last year, as I was not able or wanting to satisfy his sudden urges (which I did not even know he had, until it all came out suddenly). Had a lot of rows over it, no explicit warnings from Docs highlighting these extreme side effects. He wants me to change hair, makeup, buying sexual toys, underwear for me. Doc at hospital now halved his dose to half tablet a week BUT he's still taking the same dose. I can't make him change it. Been a real pain for me, I've wanted to move out a few times. Plus side: Prolactin now 300, pituitary shrunk down. Really reacted well to treatment.”

RogerMoore · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2020

Dostinex (cabergoline): “Taking Dostinex (UK) Prolactin levels prior were 29,000! now around 300. after 5 months. 0.5mg tablet taken in two doses (half tablet a week. Pituitary has shrunk, no face ache on laying down, nose/sinus is not blocked now. Had extreme sexual desire, thinking about sex 24/7, bit better now. Having virtual reality dreams, like LSD effects. Feel like a 20 year old male (I'm 64) like a teenager again! Having a lot of memories coming back from years ago. Wife feels like my girlfriend instead, like I'm young again. Going swimming now. She says I'm like Jekyll and Hyde, odd moods. Pituitary team Monday so hopefully can stop it.”

Cindy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 27, 2019

“I’m 57 and was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor. A prolactinoma. My prolactin level was 1300 (not a typo!). The medicine cabergoline was very hard on my stomach and I was lethargic after taking it. I was not tolerating it well at all. My husband’s friend, a reproductive endocrinologist, suggested I try taking it vaginally to avoid the stomach. That has helped tremendously. The only side affects I have after switching is stuffy nose, mild mood change the day after, and some weight gain. My levels now after 8 months are at 70. They are hoping to get it down to 15.”

Jessica · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 8, 2019

“Diagnosed with a prolactinoma in '09 after noticing visual disturbances and lactation (wasn't pregnant). Tests and scans ran and tumor discovered. Prolactin levels were higher than what's normal and specialist prescribed Cabergoline 1/2 a tablet twice a week. Only major side effect I've noticed is insomnia. I never get a restful night's worth of sleep. I have miscarried 4 different times anywhere from 3-6 months into the pregnancy within the past 10 years. I have been told mixed reasons on why this keeps happening and if it's related to the prolactinoma or not. Lost over 70lbs with newfound lifestyle of working out and eating nutritiously along with Cabergoline. I wouldn't be surprised if the medicine helped, given I started losing weight within a month of not even trying. Stopped taking it for about 6 months at one point and initial symptoms came back. I continue to take it with no noticeable mood swings or lethargy even though I still suffer from insomnia.”

Candy · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2019

“Recently (week 2) started this drug of .5mg twice weekly. Was very iffy about taking it due to the reports of the side effects but I must say I have not experienced any side effects with this medication so far. The first day, I did feel like I took a bunch of muscle relaxers and little headache but since then, nothing.”

X · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2019

Dostinex (cabergoline): “I'm being optimistic about dostinex, I hope it really does work for me. I have side effects like blocked nose and severe arm aches. Can't wait to be totally free.”

Cindy · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2019

Dostinex (cabergoline): “My mood change in a blink, felt so happy in a while then I will feel depressed again... It made me feel tired during the day.”

Drin · Taken for 10 years or more September 8, 2019

“I was diagnosed with prolactinoma in ‘01 after lactating 1.5 yrs with increased breast size. It all started after 3 mos Prozac in ‘98. Nurse wouldn’t believed it until I could demonstrate with shooting milk across the room. Put on Bromo for 3 months but was intolerable, then Dostinex 0.5mg twice/wk ever since. Prolactin levels have stayed below 15. Endo recently explained organ fibrosis/heart issues with med, that it’s usually only used 5 yrs max, plus once you hit Menopause it is not needed. I stopped 3 weeks ago. Breast size decreased 3” within a week-dream come true! They had increased 5 cup sizes in past 10 years. Then last week they suddenly got big again, plus milky discharge. My bad side effects-depression, rage, fatigue, weakness, worst is huge boobs which med originally controlled for many years. I felt human again for 3 wks. Also have MS which cabergoline worsens. This temporary, drastic, decrease breast size while off the med has me baffled. Will ask for brand Dostinex (was switched to generic years ago).”

MEHAK ji August 26, 2019

“On august 8 th I was diagnosed with prolactin level of 54.6 after consuming two dosages i.e one tab each week. I thought I should do a test again to check the levels and on 25th August I got it checked and my levels were 16ng/ml in just 17 days. I was happy...medicine is very effective but I will continue it till my doctor will recommend me to stop or reduce. ”

G · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

“I was prescribed with this medication before and now again due to recurrent high prolactin (twice the normal). Before this I was feeling a bit depressed but it was manageable, U can recover right away. But this time I'm taking it with visanne due to endometriosis at the same time and the side effect is so magnified I feel so depressed all emotions are overwhelming. I'm still on 1/2 tab 2x per week and I'm taking it for more than a month now and can't sleep, I feel tired always, I can't find happiness and severing my relationship with others due to uncontrolled emotions. I feel like I'm going crazy I ask about the nurse regarding my feelings and she told me to just bear a little cause it is really the side effect and not me.”

Yary · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2019

“I was trying to get pregnant for over 15 years. I went to several doctors and several treatments without any luck. When I changed my doctor he found I had prolactinoma. He put me on dostinex 0.5mg half of pill twice a week. A month later I was taking one pill 0.5mg once a week. I started to feel weird, I was sleepy, mood swings, my breasts hurt and my period didn't come when it was supposed to do I did a pregnancy test and for my surprise it came out positive. I still can't believe it. In less than 2 months of taking the medication I got pregnant after trying for so many years. I will definitely recommend it. I'm still in shock!”

Danny AU · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 19, 2019

“-Male - Diagnosed with Macro Prolactinoma - initial levels 315000 which was extremely high, the tumour was pressing on my skull and optic nerves. - went on 1x2.5mg once a week and gradually increased dosage to 2x5mg twice a week - 8 months later levels are down to 1200 Side effects - first was mood swings, insomnia, extreme drowsiness. - after a month or so I noticed I felt angry quite a bit and has caused issues with friends and family. - after a few months my testosterone levels increased and so did sexual urges and penis length. - after 6 months I started getting anxiety attacks which I haven’t had for over 10 years. So for me the side effects are quite bad but it’s working so will report back in a few months. It’s been very tough for me.”

mptsy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2019

“I'm a 22 year old female who began with Dostinex in December 2018 with macroadenoma 12mm and a prolactine level of 237. In February 2019, prolactine decreased to 10 and the adenoma is now micro with 8mm. My body reacted incredibly well to cabergoline; it even helped me to lose weight (along with exercise and nutrition). However, I have experienced extremely painful periods, breast pain and runny nose (it’s like having the flu everyday).”

Learn more about Hyperprolactinemia