User Reviews for Cabergoline

Also known as: Dostinex

Cabergoline Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Hyperprolactinemia.

Reviews for Cabergoline to treat Hyperprolactinemia

"I first went on cabergoline back in 1995 in Germany after my daughter was born and pituitary tumor was diagnosed. For 12 years it kept my tumor small. I’m 2007 I moved back to the USA, and was refused all treatment for my tumor as a pre-existing condition. I couldn’t afford the cost of the cabergoline without insurance covering it, so I stopped taking it. In 2010 my tumor got so large without my realizing what was going on that I almost died. Had surgery, back on cab, residual/tumor regrowth remains manageable. I’ve never had side effects and have had good results keeping my tumor in check with cabergoline."

Lindyloo (taken for 10 years or more) July 28, 2018

"I have this bad headache and abnormal period. I went to OB for check up then she requested my prolactin and LH to be tested. My prolactin was 1154 last June 20 and now after 4 tablets of carbegoline it went down to 5.82.. thanks"

Mc (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2018

Dostinex (cabergoline): "I am 30 years old and taking Dostinex for the last 13 years since I was diagnosed with macroadenoma. The first years I was taking 1mg weekly and the last years only the half dose - 0,5mg per week. What is really negative about Dostinex is its high price. I would like to inform users that I buy it from Bulgaria where the price is 4 times cheaper than in Cyprus (17 EUR per 8 tablets). In regards to the side effects, I used to have depressions and changes in the mood but I think is impossible to know if it comes from Dostinex or not. I wouldn't say there are strong negative side effects on me. I can easily concentrate and memorize. I have heard Dostinex is known to stimulate concentration and develop motor skills. I don't encourage nobody to take it without reason, but I believe beside negative there are positive side effects as well."

Theo (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2018

"I'm a 23 y/o male with secondary hypogonadism caused by high prolactin levels. My initial prolactin was 3900 (47-405) and testosterone 1.6 (10-38). After being on this drug for 4 months my prolactin dropped to 1045 and testosterone risen to 17.9. I'm taking 0.5 mg of cabergoline 3 times a week. Although my prolactin levels are not yet within the normal range, it has brought back my T levels from 1.6 to 17.9 which is amazing. Side effects are mild depression, headache, and drowsiness. I take it in the evening to prevent such bad effects of the drug."

Dilanka (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

"Male 43 year old. Been on cabergoline for 10 years. Diagnosed with prolactinoma on the pitutary. Lots of side effects that got progressively worse. Depression, anger, loss of motivation, dizziness, horrible insomnia, occasional intestinal distress"

Scott (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 30, 2018

Dostinex (cabergoline): "Pituitary tumor diagnosed at 19 yrs . Used bromacriptine for many years worst side effects ever. 33 years later happy on dostiex thanks."

Bb (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2018

"I was on this for 3 months. I went off it because it made me feel like I had a low level flu and was always tired. The withdrawal I had from being on this drug has been horrible! Panic attacks, mood swings, highs and lows, nausea, sleep disturbances. Its called dopamine antagonist withdrawal syndrome. I've read since people go back on it because of how bad the symptoms of withdrawal are, and how long it stays. I've been off it for 3 months now and I am still having side effects from coming off of it. It lowered my prolactin levels into normal ranges within a month of being on it, and its easy to use. I was on 0.5mg once a week. I will not go back on this medication due to how it effected my mental health."

lif (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

"After 1.5 months of treatment, it has reduced my prolactin levels from 1264 μUI/mL to 285 μUI/mL. I take 0.25 mg weekly during meals as specified in the patient information leaflet (Europe) to prevent nausea and vomiting. I take it in the evening to prevent dizziness. When I took the second dose I started experiencing skin itching (I am prone to allergies), so now I take 1 tablet of Claritin (loratadine) one hour before taking cabergoline. I have had mild constipation. The next day after the first dose, I felt like I was raising from the dead. My depression was gone, my fatigue was gone, and in the first two weeks my panic attacks (very strong before starting the treatment) were gone. Unfortunately, after two months of treatment I am back to my “normal” depressed, tired and anxious self. Now, however, I am also angry all the time. It also seems to stimulate my hirsutism although I am on medication for lowering my testosterone levels."

zbanghi February 5, 2018

"2nd time on this medication for a naughty tumour secreting prolactin. Medication did cause me to go a little loopy and dizzy during the beginning, as a result I take the medication late in the evening so I sleep through the worst of it. I experienced hallucinations whilst on the drug, thinking I'm seeing spiders crawl up the wall in the corner of my eye, once I look they disappear, the hallucinations are more frequent in dark rooms. Changes in behaviour, I find it more difficult to control strong emotions. It's a bit annoying to get hold of, my pharmacy never has it in stock so I have to ring ahead to ensure it's ordered before I run out."

ShaniceyIreland January 29, 2018

"I've been on Cabergoline 0.25 for 2 weeks now for hyperprolactinemia caused by a Microadenoma. Before I started taking it I came on here for reviews and almost said no to it because all these comments about the side affects made me so nervous. I'll sit here and be the one to say this medication gave me next to NO side effects. I had a pretty bad headache for the first 2 times, after that I have no side effects at all. No idea if my prolactin level is any lower, but I feel my vision coming back slowly and less frequent dizziness. Hoping a few more weeks I can get back to my regular routine."

Rach100 October 18, 2017

"32 yr. old male. prolactin levels 55.9. I've been on cabergoline for 4 weeks now. My lab results came back and I am now within the healthy range at 9.9. I went maybe 2 weeks with bad nausea and headaches then they subsided and those effects are less intense and less frequent. I rated a 7 because the medicine certainly works, and quickly at bringing down prolactin, I do not know the results about it shrinking the adenoma or not yet so I am still unsure if it works on that front. So far so good. While the side effects were annoying and disrupted my daily life, it is certainly better than the alternative of surgery to remove the "noma" from my pituitary gland."

L. Joe August 2, 2017

"Just had an awful night from the effects of Cabergoline 0.5mg ..felt like there was poison in stomach and the abdominal pain is just too much. Had to vomit and had diarrhoea at the same time. It just happened so sudden. Most time just had bad cramps and abdominal pain. Bad times I get this combo of pain diarrhoea vomit and dizzy. 4 hours usually of intense abdominal pain And nightmare. I had started on the meds 9 years ago and stopped because of the cost and the cost for the Doc and the pain. But it works. It brought down the prolactin and menstrual does comes back. but once I stop he meds everything went back to the same prolactin level >250. Wish there's no side effect. It's a painful experience and since I had to take it every week."

Est W July 31, 2017

Dostinex (cabergoline): "Three months ago have used dostinex for 4 weeks, two times a week half pill, so one pill a week! Before I have started to use dostinex my prolactine level was 589! After I used it for 4 weeks, prolactine level dropped down to 36. I was stupid I guess and I stopped using it. Now I am back on dostinex again because prolactine level went up to 600. Please if you are using dostinex regularly check with your doctor. That is my strong advice, don't be stupid like I was. Dostinex helped me with my prolactine. Thank you all"

Najko July 28, 2017

"I have been on Cabergoline for about a month now, after being diagnosed with ridiculously high prolactin levels, and all sorts of problems from lactating to extreme fatigue. After reading all of the reviews listing horrific side effects, I was really nervous about it, and was considering holding out for surgery instead. However, I'm pleased to report that I'm able to give a positive review. I have had no side effects at all (apart from mild constipation in the couple of days immediately after taking each tablet). I am more focussed, I am less fatigued and I've even had a period (very light). I know that it's early days, and I've got follow up appointments in the coming weeks, but I am glad to be able to report a positive experience."

Nicegirl06 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

"I had a 4.3 cm prolactinoma with prolactin level at 9500. Taking 0.5 mg every other day. Biggest side effect is costs and availability. Wal Mart pharmacy always does a partial fill as they are always out of stock. Internet search for average price yields nothing. Shame on these drug companies. Levels now at 600.......To Maleka on a previous post with ice pick pain headache, you may have trigeminal neuralgia. Your cure is tegretol. Been there done that, good luck"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

"28yo female, I was first diagnosed with a 13mm prolactinoma, which was later figured out to be a non-functioning pituitary tumor. Turns out, after seeing an expert surgeon, it is a Rathke's Cleft Cyst on the pituitary stalk. After no results of improved hormone levels with 4 months of Bromocriptine, I started Cabergoline .5 mg, 2 times a week. Symptoms such as extreme dizziness and lightheadedness occurred, but after nearly 6 months on the medication, it's not as bad. Mood changes and depression began after a couple months, and I hope to have my dosage decreased next week. All of my hormone levels were normal within 2-3 months, but I'm not sure I can deal with mood swings and depression. RCC's don't normally shrink with medication."

Julia VK June 23, 2017

"I am on week 9 pf 0.5 mg once/week for two micro-prolactinomas on my pituitary gland. I will have labs done at week 12 to see if my prolactin level has decreased. This condition and/or medication has given me side effects that absolutely challenge me and affect my quality of life. EXTREME fatigue, hair loss, excruciating head aches, depression, nausea/vomiting, menstrual (like) cramps, bloating, excessive urination (up every 90 mins all night) dizziness, vision loss, etc. It has been extremely difficult to go to work & function well ."

Dolly44 June 19, 2017

"I've been on this medicine for 6 years. I've noticed while being on the medicine. I've been able to lose weight regularly. And my period comes but comes back heavy. I've been to the doctor about the heavy bleeding and they just gave me birth control pills to stop the bleeding. Since I was bleeding for almost a entire month, in my mind I thought it was just backed up periods but now they are blood clots so I'm hopefully going to get seen soon."

Kperez135 June 7, 2017

Dostinex (cabergoline): "I used dostinex 2 years ago for a few months. I had nausea and vomiting the first few days, but I continued taking it for a year and the side affects went away. My prolactin went from just over 200 down to 94. It also helped me to lose weight. I had to stop taking it because it was too expensive. I started taking it again 2 weeks ago and the only side affect I have is mild headaches."

lexerose31 June 1, 2017

"Just started taking Cabergoline. I'm excited! I've gained weight and can't seen to lose weight due to high prolactin. I'm so ready to be normal again"

Marnita March 25, 2017

"I am 34 years of age male and for years since 2003 when I was just 21 years of age started feeling really depressed and started suffering with anxiety but prior in the build up to this I had also suffered from depleted sex drive foggy memory moods swings low energy always needed an afternoon nap to get me through the day no matter how much sleep I had. Any way I had been going docs for years I was prescribed Citalopram which did 90% eradicate the anxiety and definitely the depression but I still suffered with the other symptoms. I always told them how I felt had tests for diabetes checked my thyroid etc all come back clear. Long story short found out I had a pituitary tumour and took Carbegoline and everything cleared up felt great!!!!!"

Gaz888 February 20, 2017

Dostinex (cabergoline): "I was told this drug would fix my symptoms in 12 months but I had to take it for almost 10 years and my hormone levels fluctuated greatly over that time."

Joyjen February 15, 2017

"I am one month in take this pill 0.5mg every 3-4 days and I feel extremely dizzy, more dizzy than before I took it, it's hard to focus but I also feel it is doing its job and lowering my prolactin levels to where they need to be. I'm stopping the meds for now because the dizzy is to much, I take anti nausea meds and antivertigo meds and they work for a bit but they wear off and it comes back more intense I'm going this week to check my levels again, the pills works the side effects are rough."

Zuxyun (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

Dostinex (cabergoline): "Before I was using parlodel which is the same medicine for reducing prolactin. My prolactin is 49 and facing irregular periods. Previously I faced horrible side effects but with dostinex I am very happy no side effects just feel sleepy some time."

Adimaan November 8, 2016

"It has reduced my prolactin levels effectively, and it increases testosterone to some extent. The side effects are loss of motivation, and finding mental exertion more tiring, which can be a real problem at work. The side effects seem to be dose dependant so I break the pills into quarters or eighths and take them more often to eliminate the peaks after dosing. I've also been able to reduce the dose whilst still keeping the prolactin levels in the middle of the normal range, which has also helped with side effects."

nkl (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2016