User Reviews for Stadol to treat Labor Pain

Stadol has an average rating of 4.7 out of 10 from a total of 26 ratings for the treatment of Labor Pain. 38% of those users who reviewed Stadol reported a positive effect, while 58% reported a negative effect.

Stadol Rating Summary

4.7/10 average rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Labor Pain.

Reviews for Stadol

Redheaded Lib · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2021

“My labor went so quickly that my baby was born only 30 minutes after I checked in to the hospital. I asked for a pain med. & they told me it was ‘too late’, so they gave me Stadol. It didn’t help at all with the pain, but it did make me very loopy. Very disappointing. It probably caused my baby’s issue with not latching on right away, since it was administered only 15 minutes before her birth.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2021

“Quite possibly the worst thing I've ever taken. Within seconds I could feel my eyes rolling and the room was spinning. I felt like I wanted to sleep but felt like I didn't know how to breathe and if i had slept I would have stopped breathing. I just laid there waiting for it to be over. I threw up three times and finally started to feel the effects wear off. I will never take this during labor ever again. It gave me so much anxiety...”

REAP · Taken for 10 years or more February 24, 2021

“Worked well for a long, induced labor that was not progressing. Since I was in labor for days, this medication helped with pain once I was exhausted during the last 24 hours. Helped me rest and relax to prepare for pushing hours later.”

Blessed Mommy · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2019

“I was induced at 6 am. I was told at 6 pm that I was no longer dilating but now constricting. I had suffered with back pain and was given an epidural, which apparently curled and another one was inserted, with no relief from pain. Then the anesthesiologist put Stadol in my IV and I FLIPPED OUT. I became completely paranoid and disoriented. My tongue was swelling. I was trying to tell them no more but was having trouble talking. They gave it to me 3 times during my labor. I eventually had c section around midnight. It caused me to become delusional. I even thought the hospital had done something to my baby, was convinced the heart beat from the heart monitor was not my baby’s heartbeat. When taken in for surgery, I reached up and pulled the drape down, then they finally gassed me. Have to list Stadol on my list of allergies. HORRIFIC drug that I wouldn’t want anyone to run the risk of experiencing negative side effects. Not worth it!”

Nisha22 January 22, 2018

“Well Heather I guess I'm in that 1 percent range with you.. as soon as the Medicine hit my veins my eye began to roll and my head started shaking like I was having a seizure or something. my heart rate was all over the place beating extra fast and I was literally going crazy. Fussing at my husband, and the dr and all of the nurses telling them something is not right something is not right and they said I was overreacting so I got even more annoyed ugh just ugh . Although about 4 hours later the craziness wore off and I had a nonchalant attitude but I told myself I will NEVER IN LIFE get that again..”

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2020

“Gave birth last night. I was given Stadol before the epidural to help with labor pains. I was in a lot of pain so I thought it would help. It did. But I also tripped for hours. It took 2 minutes for me to feel effects. My eyes rolled into the back of my head. I could not open my eyes and apparently I didn't for about 2 hours. I hallucinated, couldn't breathe. Kept forgetting to breathe. Horrible experience. She said it's rare and she's never seen anyone react like I did so I must just be sensitive to it but it was the worst experience. Definitely didn't feel the pain though as I was much too high.”

CinderElle · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2018

“I was trying to avoid a spinal for my labor and my nurse administered Stadol. The WORST drug ever. I ended up going on a psychedelic trip and it was not an enjoyable experience! My oxygen levels kept dropping and my sister in law had to remind me every 2 min to breathe! If she hadn't been there, I don't know what would have happened, because the nurse gave it to me and then left. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw beautiful spirals of color, but the fact that I was forgetting to breathe was HORRIBLE.”

Brianna · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2020

“They gave me this while I was in labor. I was only 2cm dilated but my contractions were starting to get unbearable. I asked for pain medicine so they gave me Stadol. They told me it would make me a little drowsy which is an understatement. I was falling asleep quickly against my will within minutes. I told my fiance to call the nurse because I thought the medicine was going to finish me. I would have be okay wih it if it had relieved the pain but it did not. I felt everything and was well aware of my surroundings but could not open my eyes or respond. I felt like I was trapped inside of my body and could not even advocate for myself.”

Ckb · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2018

“Horrible experience. Not a good choice for somebody with panic attacks or anxiety. Makes you extremely dizzy, it was terrifying for me because I didn't know what was happening. Pain relief was minimal.”

Lyssa. · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2019

“They gave me this Stadol rubbish for labor contractions. 5 secs later my eyes were actually rolling into my head, it felt like they was spinning. I was screaming flipping out. I was in so much fear I passed out and didn't remember anything after that.”

Tilly · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2020

“They gave me this when I was at about 4-5 centimeters, I went into labor at midnight so I was on 0 hours of sleep and was in TERRIBLE pain. The put this in my IV and it was AMAZING. They told me I’d feel drunk and I DID, I then got an AMAZING 5 hour nap in, which was well needed considering I was in labor for 21 hours.”

Regrettable decision · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2021

“I opted for stadol during labor pains while I was waiting for an epidural. I immediately regretted the decision. I was so disoriented that I barely knew where I was. I got very sick too. It was a horrible experience and all I could do was wait for it to wear off.”

Brandyb123 · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2015

“I was admitted into the hospital at 31 weeks for almost 3 weeks for preeclampsia and PIH. I would get terrible migraines and was so uncomfortable from constantly being in bed and switching from my left side to right side. I was given Stadol through IV and let me say it is amazing! When given intravenously, it works within seconds. I got really dizzy and felt like I was floating. I wasn't in pain anymore and slept like a baby. this medicine is great for pain, I don't think I would've made it through my hospital stay without it!”

Heather W. July 20, 2017

“I was given STADOL because I was at 3 cm for so long, yet my contractions were getting unbearable (can't get the epidural until 4 cm). The nurse told me, it works for some people and not for others. I am assuming it either takes the pain away or it doesn't. Well, it literally made me INSTANTLY start sweating, and my eyes were rolling in the back of my head. However, no pain relief. I got extremely restless and an intense feeling of confusion and dysphoria. I was so unprepared for that feeling, it's horrible. Being in a hospital, in labor, confused, restless, still feeling everything. I researched it when I got home and apparently, only somewhere around 1% experience this. Just pray you're the lucky 99%.”

Ariluv83 June 13, 2017

“I was given stadol via IV while in labor with my eldest child. I don't know what dose but I did go unconscious for what I think was a few seconds. I just remember waking up gasping for air as about 6 nurses rushed into the room. They were trying to get me to breathe and checking my vitals. Not sure if I flatlined but I did have to remember to breathe, which wasn't fun. I remember feeling really high and happy after giving birth but it took me a long time to come down from it. I had my two younger children without meds and felt much better and aware of my surroundings. The stadol did help with pain but I'll never forget how hard it was too breather when you have to consciously make an effort to do it.”

Alli16223 June 18, 2017

“I am literally on this medication right now. I got a dose through my IV and yes at first it was intense and made me very loopy and hot. But now I am just must more relaxed. This is my fourth baby. I'm not quite full term so they used this to see if I could relax enough for contractions to stop. They haven't and I can still feel them but it's much more bearable now. I didn't have this with any of my other deliveries just the epi. Everyone reacts differently to different medicine and doses, so I don't think that basing what is right for you off of other people's experiences is a good idea.”

NYCmomma September 5, 2015

“All I can say is that stadol is AMAZING! I felt like I was floating on clouds and when the pain did come back I didn't care.. I could feel the pain but it was like I was disconnected from it somehow? After I had my son I asked what they had given me cause I had never felt like that before with my other babies. So if they offer it to you take it....it works!!! I couldn't imagine how these people are able to function if they take it for migraines??”

Samski0206 · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2016

“I was prescribed this when I was having preterm labor contractions. They said it would help me relax and sleep and let my body calm down enough for the contractions to stop on their own. Well... The contractions stopped but not until after I tried to convince my husband I was a stegosaurus. I don't remember much, but I do remember feeling very dizzy and nauseous until I eventually passed out. It's not something I will take again, but it did do its job of pain relief.”

linda pudue December 11, 2009

“My On-Call Obgy put me on Stadol because I asked her not to use Demerol. I told her I didn't want to feel drugged while in labor so she choose Stadol. I was so out of it my husband video taped my delivery and my eyes were LITERALLY rolling in the back of my head. As far as taking pain away who could tell - I was out of my mind. Anyone who can take this must be used to strong pain relievers.”

Cwingo · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2015

“This drug knocked me out during labor which was great because I was crying and almost hyperventilating during my contractions (I was induced). They woke me up when I was fully dilated to push. Will ask for it again with next baby.”

Anonymous March 23, 2010

“I had this with my first child. It was awesome! I had been up a lot of the night with contractions and was exhausted that afternoon. I knew I didn't want an epidural so they gave me Stadol. It put me to sleep from 5-10 centimeters and they woke me up when it was time to push!”

Kaila January 18, 2020

“I was given IV Stadol along with Benadryl, followed by an intramuscular dose of stadol for labor pains. It did exactly what the doctors said it would- it takes the edge off but you’ll still feel your contractions and they’ll still hurt. I also feel that its effects wore off relatively quickly. It’s a good choice if you’re looking to avoid the epidural shot but if you’re looking for complete pain relief, stadol won’t provide that. When given through an IV, you’ll feel the effects of the drug almost instantly.”

lil_mama_08 May 23, 2008

“when i was in labor with my son, they actually gave me to doses of stadol through my IV and it knocked out my headache completely and eased the pain of my contractions slightly, but my son was on a nerve so i still ended up with an epidural afterward”

Soso August 20, 2019

“I was given stadol for labor pain management. While it helped me not to feel connected to the pain I didn’t like how it made me feel instantly. It forced me into a drowsy state. I couldn’t sleep and began having trouble breathing. Following my delivery I spent the first night crying because I couldn’t sleep And became paranoid and scared that I’d stop breathing in middle of night. Not only did I not sleep but the few times I dozed off it started off with a hallucination. It has been 5 days since I gave birth and I’m still having trouble sleeping at night. If any of you moms can give me some tips on what helped you ween this thing off out your system please do. Thank you.”

mk0211 · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2015

“I was given stadol during induced labor, it was miraculous, however after 20 hrs, I was still not dilating. I was given an epidural and began hr long labor, stadol in conjunction with epidural, I finally was able to have child w/o surgical intervention. Was also given stadol post hysterectomy, via IM injections. Only drug that helped pain for both.”

Mikel January 21, 2021

“I was so upset during my second delivery when they gave me Stadol again after the horrible experience with this drug during my first delivery. Same EXACT issue: it did NOTHING for the pain it made me feel drunk and completely disoriented and yet I could feel EVERYTHING. When it wore off pain levels were no different except I didn’t feel completely out of control. During labor I couldn’t focus on my breathing, I couldn’t speak clearly - it was AWFUL. Second delivery I told the hospital NO Stadol, it was in my birth plan directive. No epidural no Stadol. My doc didn’t make it in time and I started feeling really woozy and room spinning. I asked my husband - tell me they didn’t give me Stadol! Sure enough. They had. Grrrrrrr! They said “just in case I wanted an epidural.” I so angry.”

Anonymous August 30, 2011

“They gave me Stadol when I was in labor with my son. It made me hallucinate badly. ”

Anonymous May 13, 2008

“I was put in the hospital a month before the delivery of my twins, and stadol worked great for contractions. It also helped me sleep a lot better.”