User Reviews for Bupropion / naltrexone

Also known as: Contrave

Bupropion/naltrexone Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Weight Loss.

Reviews for Bupropion/naltrexone to treat Weight Loss

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I am 62 and 5’2” tall. I weighted 165 when I started contrave two weeks ago taking one in the morning only. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to sleep. After reading some of the reviews I will try the afternoon pill. I have restless leg syndrome and getting worse as I age. For some reason this medication has completely stopped my symptoms. I am sleeping better but dreaming strange dreams. I have had a little bit of constipation but eat plain nonfat yogurt with fiber one cereal in it for breakfast. Drinking plenty of water helps too. I seem to have a little bit of brain fog and can’t remember what I went in a room for. I haven’t lost any weight yet but feel more motivated and even resist snacks more often. I hope when I start taking two a day it will increase my weight loss without increasing side effects."

Graggy56 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2018

"Today starts week 7 of taking Contrave. I have lost weight definitely! My clothes are looser! I haven’t had a chance to weigh myself (I don’t have a scale) but for the first time in forever I finally feel like I’m winning this battle! I have PCOS and diabetes which makes it almost impossible to lose weight even though I’m very active and eat healthy! I can’t believe that finally I don’t feel hungry constantly! I have to make myself eat!! For the first 4 or 5 weeks I struggled with constipation and a foggy, spacey feeling. Those side effects seem to have went away, but I’m still struggling with the excessive sweating making me feel so gross. I’m going to talk to my doctor and see about getting a medication to get rid of the excessive sweating since I’m seeing big benefits in my appetite control/weight loss. Has anybody else had excessive sweating that got better with time?"

Mary (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I was on contrave for 2 weeks, First week I felt nausea's, light headache, constipation so bad it felt like I was having a child through my butt. The 2nd week no side effects. I did not loose one ounce, discontinued contrave now, switching to qsymia."

rcl (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "Was scared 2 try because of side effects but I'm more scared of dying and leaving my family because of my obesity. I'm 41 ,5'5 and starting weight at 210.9lb. Currently I do no activity, eat garbage, depressed. I've been on contrave 7 days today. Lost 5 pounds. Have a little headache, constipated today. But 4 the 1st time in a long time I have a little hope. I can see a lil light in the dark now."

Kim (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I used contrave for 3 months and lost 35/40lbs. Taking them helped motivate me to exercise. I've been off a couple months and gained a few lbs back but that's because I don't exercise as much. I did get headaches at 1st but the weight was coming off so I dealt with it. I gave it a 9 due to that. The headaches did get better around when I started the 3rd month."

Rick (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I have been on this medication for 3 months, so far I have lost 35 lbs. I have struggled with PCOS and obesity for years. Even with eating right and exercising I would have trouble losing any weight and give up. I am currently keeping my calories under 1900, and eating low carb. To be honest some days I don't have an appetite at all and force myself to eat some proteins, so shakes have been my savior. I was already on wellbutrin prior to this medication, but I can say side effect wise I do struggle with sweating. To be honest I can handle the sweating as long as my weight is going down! I don't plan on being on this medication for a long time but it is the jumpstart I needed!"

Dani (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I was so excited to try this medication. I have used other prescription weight loss medications without much success. Unfortunately, on the second day and low dose (as you work up to a higher dose) my skin turned red, crusty with itchy hives. This itchy rash was all over my face, arms and torso. So uncomfortable and embarrassing. It was so bad I ran to my doctor who gave me lots of steroids and antibiotics. As you know, steroids make you hungry and gain weight. After about 4 weeks when my skin finally was back to normal, I tried the low dose again, just to see if it was possibly something else I was allergic to, but no. I had the same skin symptoms again. I rated the medication a 5 because I don't know how it works due to my unusual allergic reaction. I am so sad that I will never know if it works. I hope others will have better results."

Side effects not good for me (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "Just started the medication yesterday so far so good the only side effect is a mild diarrhea wish me luck"

Isa (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I started taking a half in the morning and half at night for the first week. I noticed slow urination, gas, bloating and dry mouth. I continued to second week with 1 in morning and 1 at night. The bloating and constant rumbling in my stomach continued. I also started with some pain and just not feeling well. I decided to stop the medication. I wasn’t willing to continue with these symptoms."

Terry (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I am 5'4 age 60 and weighed 174lb. I am now on my second week and weigh 167lb, I don't exercise like I should be. I had headaches when I started the first few days and when I went into my second week. I only have 17 more pounds to loose and thats it for me. My doctor only put me on this for the 120 pills, which is probably 4-6 weeks. This might not be for everyone, and I'm glad I haven't had problems as some of the others. This helps with the cravings and over eating."

CC (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "Contrave changed my life. I even quit smoking. Contrave made my life dream real. I was 157 lbs when I started to take contrave. Now before finishing the second bottle I am 130 lbs and I want to lose 5 more lbs. I found out if we have a motivation to lose weight then Contrave will help you a lot. Losing weight is not a battle anymore. Don’t eat much is you take contrave. You won’t like the result."

Sara (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I could only take this for two days. It gave me aches, chills, headaches, and EXTREME exhaustion. I also felt spacey and dream like. It is much easier to follow a healthy weight loss than to go through the effects of this drug. Avoid at all costs!!"

Cat (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "July 1st 2018 I started Contravene. Lost 10 lbs as of Sept 6, 2018. It worked really good suppressing my appetite but lately it doesn’t seem to work. Don’t know what’s going on because I need to lose more weight. Was 241lb now 230lb. Seems a long time to lose 10 lbs. Is this the way this drug works? Slow?"

Louise (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I have been on Contrave for one week and am very happy with the medicine. I am a food addict and am struggling with life experiences to not overeat. The first couple of days I was a bit fuzzy, other than that no side effects. I have lost 4 pounds the first week. It does curb my appetite immensely. I am an active person, I have not changed my exercise routine. I talked to the pharmacist and asked if I could stay on 1 pill in the morning until I felt like I needed the second one and he said I could. I am 41, 5'7 weigh 160 pounds. The doctor who prescribed the medicine told me that this helps you change your eating behavior and train yourself to not go to food; salt, fat, sweet, when you feel like you need too. I can walk past snacks, chips, and sweets without a second thought. I know that Contrave is not a miracle drug, just a tool to help me go in the right direction to curb my need for food all the time, without going crazy! I will check back in, in a month with an update."

mariezeke September 10, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I started Contrave 8/22/18. Two weeks I am taking 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening and have lost 5lbs. I have tried everything, CrossFit with a meal planning. Weight training and cardio....nothing would stay off. If went on vacation for a week, it all came back. With Contrave I don't eat that extra slice of pizza and drink another beer. Yet everything still tastes enjoyable, I am just full and satisfied. If you have an addictive personality this will help you! You will not crave that addiction, you will be in control. I experienced the slight headache and mild dizziness for the first week. What I am experiencing now is fatigue, I hope this levels out when I begin 2 in the morning, 1 at night in two days."

Lima Delta (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "UPDATE It is now 9/5 & I've been on Contrave for almost 2 weeks and have just started the 2 pills a day. I do now feel the nausea sometimes, usually right after I take the pill if its on an empty stomach. I take my first pill at 7am and my second pill at 6pm. I'm usually not hungry for a big breakfast, so I have a coffee and banana. Lunch is usually around 12pm and I'll have a hot pocket and maybe an orange but I'm usually feeling full after I eat the hot pocket. I still don't get those afternoon hunger pangs. I would definitely make sure that everyone stay hydrated because, in at least my experience, drinking a ton of a water keeps me from experiencing the constipation symptoms. I haven't experienced the trouble sleeping but I do take my pills early (6pm dose & I usually go to bed around 11). When I started Contrave, I was 239lbs and now weighing in this morning, I am 236lb. I am 5'5. *I started on Contrave on Monday, August 27th 2018 *Good luck to all my fellow Contravers on here!"

Kelly Vee September 5, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I have been on Contrave since Mid-January, 2018. I started at 248lb and I now weigh 196lb! Pretty cool, really. I intend to stay on this drug as long as I can. I also am using Myfitnesspal.com, and usually stay within my 1100 calorie count. I also walk about 100 minutes a day. Quite frankly, I think contrave is a miracle drug. For me, anyway. I have had none of the side effects. In fact, it has made me sleep even better."

Suzieq (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I did fine with 1 pill in the am and 1 in pm, but became extremely ill after increasing to 2 in the am. The doctor told me to continue another week, but I continued to vomit and have dry heaves. So they told me to just do just 1 twice a day. I continued on this for about 6 months and suffered from horrible headaches, constant nausea, lethargy, night sweats, hot flashes, depression, constipation, and the only food I could stomach was french fries and sprite. I lost about 7 pounds the entire time I used it. I weaned myself off and feel like myself again. Of course I’ve gained 10 pounds in the 2 months I’ve been off. Not worth the cost or the horrible way I felt while taking it. On a side note, my doctor told me it was safe and I could take it the rest of my life, I do not agree at all. It is a horrible medication."

Brindie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I have been on Contrave for 3 months I am stuck not losing. I sweat a lot I weigh 171lbs. I do exercise 4 days a week. I may have to quit I don' think this is for me. Does anyone just break out in a sweat?"

curbclimber (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I have lost twenty pounds in 6 months."

Nawna August 22, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I made it thru the first week! Starting my week at the new dose of twice a day! Working well for me. First couple of days I had a little nausea but I made it thru. It gets better. I have lost 5 pounds."

DLB August 19, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I have been using contrave for one week. I can already feel myself eating less. BUT I have been having headaches and blurred vision. I don't know if it will subside but I'm keep taking it to see if it does. I understand nothing is worth my vision and constant headaches. I have read the reviews people have said side effects stop so we will see......"

Infiniti (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I started taking Contrave on April 19th 2018. I am a 5'6" male with high blood pressure and a family history that includes heart disease. On that date I weighed 204lbs. Today August 13, 2008, I weigh 171 lbs. The medicine is an excellent appetite suppressant, and if you really have the desire to diet and lose the weight it seems to work very well. I exercise 2-3 times a week (walking 3 - 4 miles or golf ). I experienced some dry mouth and constipation when I first started the medicine, but I found that if I eat clean the constipation isn't an issue. But if I go a few days without at least a salad a day included in my diet I will tend to have that symptom . I tend to have an addictive personality by nature and it has seemed to help with other areas as well. I feel like i am more balanced and not nearly as obsessive as I once was. I hope to continue this medicine for the long haul."

GWBIII (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I am only one week in so far. I am so glad I read the reviews here because I would have thought all of my nausea was abnormal. Day three and four were the worse by far. I am feeling much better today. No nausea at all. I did notice that when I eat anything that has a lot of carbs I feel sick. I had pancakes and I was really sick afterwards. The last couple days I made sure to lay off the carbs and I feel better. I have to say that really helps curb the urge to snack. Today at work there are the usual candy bars and chocolate there to tempt me but also someone brought in cookies. No temptation at all. I am eating my yogurt."

Crystal H (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

Contrave (bupropion / naltrexone): "I started Contrave in January of 2018 and have lost 50 pounds. (185lb to 135lb) It has changed my life and I look good and feel good. I did not have any side effects other than constipation and bad taste in my mouth. I really didn't follow the recommended dose at beginning. I was taking four a day by the second week since I was not experiencing any major side effects. I did have a little brain fog off and on during the first month but I was determined to see this through. The first 4-6 weeks it really helped me avoid sweets and pop. I try to take the pills around 8 am and 4 pm. I've gone from a tight size 14 to a size 6. Don't give up, and don't obsess over your weight at the beginning. "

Fortune 1265 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...