User Reviews for Benzamycin to treat Acne

Benzamycin has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 75% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Benzamycin Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 327 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Anonymous June 8, 2008

“It works quite well, I used to have numerous whiteheads constantly covering my chin but this works well. Occasionally I will have a few pimples but normally its during sports and when I'm not playing sports I'm clear. The biggest drawback is it is very hard to apply. It leaves a white flakey coating all over your face that is hard to remove with out removing the product. I normally get rid of it with moisturizer but it requires two applications that are hard to rub in.”

Danidee · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2013

“This dried up pimples fast. I have moderate acne and within the first week my face had practically dried up. I was excited and loved it. It does leave a white pasty looking film on your face but I used it at night. For 3 months I used it every other night to keep everything at bay. However doctor said it worked so well, they took me off and gave me Differen. Now back to breakouts all over my face and really oily. Can't wait to go back and beg for this again.”

Anonymousetoo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 19, 2017

“I have used this medicine two separate times for severe cystic acne. I never had a problem with acne until I was a nursing school student. This cleared up all my cystic pimples at that time. A few years later they returned when I stopped taking birth control. I got a prescription for Benzamycin again and they all cleared up once more. This product makes your skin somewhat dry but works wonderfully.”

Scootah Wootah January 4, 2017

“Well if you use it properly, you should be ok I'm just an example of improper use and severe side effects I was a stupid 18/19 year old who mentally freaked out, used way too much. I've had severely burnt skin & redness the last 17 years now. Quite the cross to carry. Wish I never came across it (only had minor acne anyways) but to the medicine's credit, I did misuse it”

Mace · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

“Great product and the only topical treatment that worked for me. I have hormonal acne on the face and upper back as well as oily skin. This product is applied 2x per day. It eliminates acne very quickly, and promotes new skin growth to avoid long term scarring. It has a drying/face mask effect when applied, but does not over dry the skin. As the day and night go by, the oils on your face naturally break down the topical gel, making it most effective if applied twice a day. Only downside, it has to be refrigerated which can be pain when traveling. I was told this product is safe for pregnancy by itself. I had the best outcome when I used Benzamycin (topical) paired with Spironolactone (oral).”

iginlalover · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2014

“This is my second time using the Benzamycin gel. I would have to say that while it worked great when used properly, it did not get rid of my acne for good. It took about a month to start to see real results. The results lasted for about 1-2 months after I stopped taking the medication. Sadly my acne slowly started returning. I am now waiting to see a dermatologist to start Accutane.”

60 year old woman September 21, 2017

“I had acne all of my and I am 60 years old. I came across this stuff 30 years ago and it's wonderful. Like the comments before me.......it does leave a white film on your face, but I apply it at night. When I do have a break out and dab a thicker amount on that area and in a two days it's dried up and gone. If you use this properly it's the best out there. Plus I feel it keeps my skin from aging. Since it does dry out your skin the aging spots pretty much fade out. I would seriously give this product a try since I can tell you that I did true everything out there. I hope this helps one person if not a lot more. Why have unwanted acne on your face and go thru life like that. A little pricy but it's your face where talking about.”

anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

“Benzamycin is not for rosacea prone / sensitive skins. My derm put me on it ignoring that irritation is no good for sensitive skin. Although it seemed to work for my acne whenever I used it, it made my rosacea & skin sensitivity worse in a very short amount of time & I only used it at night. Applied over skin for 1-2 hours & then rinsed it off because the burning & irritation was too much for my skin. However I give it 4 stars bc even just 1 hour exposure to it was able to shrink forming & existing pimples. I couldn't use it as long-term acne treatment tho bc skin became so inflamed after using it intermittently over several weeks, my cheeks turned purple & the texture was what i can only describe as raw. Just kept it as spot treatment which was effective.”

Learn more about Acne

More about Benzamycin (benzoyl peroxide / erythromycin topical)

Professional resources