User Reviews for Anastrozole

Also known as: Arimidex

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Anastrozole.

Anastrozole Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 149 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Anastrozole to treat Breast Cancer

"Had a bi-lateral masectomy 9/18/17 and was told they got it all..My oncologist prescribed anastrozole and I can't bring myself to take them. There's so many horrific side effects that I think I will take my chances without this med. I'd appreciate a reply for any suggestions and what you think I should do as to whether take these pills or not .I need someone to talk to that has been hesitant as to what to do..Thank you, Bobbie"

B,J, December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Her2+, inflammatory, stage-3b breast cancer diagnosed 11/2014- on Anastrole since 08/15. Osteo-arthritis, burning scalp, whole-body tingling and numbness. Major hair loss. I have around around 2 years left on this drug. If I don't completely stop taking this drug, I am certainly going to stop taking a whole pill daily, and stop taking a daily pill. I am past ready to roll the dice on a possible recurrence."

Dumpty (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was only on this drug for two weeks and developed Severe swelling, redness and pain to bone above ankle, pain in thumb, reconstructed breasts felt like they were on fire and I cannot feel 4 of my toes in my right foot! I now am wearing a boot on my left foot for the swelling!"

Droske01 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had grade 3 Huntington ductal carcinoma in 2013 with 30 intense radiation treatments after a partial mastectomy I've been on tamoxifen since October 2013 two two and a half months ago I started anastrozole had the bone density test and now after my third week at a brand new job I have my very first broken bone of my life. After reading all of these other reviews I can't help but think that the Anastrozole is what is causing this I have also been having joint swelling and pain in my other hand and just joint pain throughout my legs getting out of bed in the morning is more painful. I've also started gaining weight this is after only being on this for 2 months this is so hard to believe but I honestly think I I'm going to stop taking this med"

Deluxevirgo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Breast cancer diagnosed in October 2016; lumpectomy, chemo, and radiation. Started Anastrozale in May 2017. Most noted side affect -severe burning, numbness, tingling, and stiffness in my hands, along with my little finger on the right hand having a finger-hammer effect. With all of the studies in breast cancer, there must be a study on natural estrogen inhibitors. Does anyone know of such a drug? My hands burn like flame throwers!!"

KatieB43 August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arimidex (anastrozole): "The first year of taking anastrozole, I experienced hair loss, weight gain even though I was having difficulty keeping food down. It wasn't really nausea, it was more like a reaction. Itchy skin, foggy head, aches and pains. During the second year , i found one morning that I could barely walk, severe knee pain, sore legs, sore bones...this is still the case, but I started gradually to start a yoga routine, which helps some days, it doesn't erase the pain, but seems to make it more manageable. It's like a different set of side effects every few months.i will stick with it, as much as I cont want to. The surgery and radiation are two things I never want to deal with again. Good luck to all of you, keep strong!"

Hobber August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed April 2016. Stage 2, Grade 3. Lumpectomy. I finished doxorubicin hydrochloride (Adriamycin) and cyclophosphamide, followed by treatment with paclitaxel (Taxol) - ACT regime in October 2016, and then radiation, Jan 2017. I was 100% estrogen positive and 90% progesterone positive. I was HR negative. I refused the anastrozole, at first, but since I have been taking one pill every other day. I have been taking it for 4 months. I am 66. I have trouble sleeping (never previously) My energy has decreased. My muscles in my back, are stiff along with my joints. I think I am retaining fluid in my limbs; not sure. I've gained 7 pounds. Sometimes my fingers lock and then snap; weird. I'm praying and trying to eat all the cancer killing foods; quite a regiment."

runabun July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I have been taking Aridimex for 4.5 years, coming up on my 5 year post treatment check up. Side effects for me have been; hot flashes, neuropathy, intense joint pain, insomnia and 30% loss of bone density. I take 2 ibuprofen daily to manage pain and power through. New clinical data indicate staying on longer may reduce risk further. I was so looking forward to getting off this drug, not sure how I feel about that."

Gigglemom (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I took one pill. ONE. Within 12 hours I began itching from head to toe. In 24 hours I was in the emergency room with a terrible rash all over me. It was so bad and it was raised so high you could almost measure it with a ruler! I didn't want to scratch first. I had to get two shots in my belly, was put on oral prednisone for two weeks (which then calls for a slow wean-off of the drug), a prescription topical medicine and over-the-counter medicines. The rash hung around for almost three weeks. I'm allergic to sulfa and all NSAIDS, but my doctor wasn't sure what is in this drug to cause this reaction. He put me on tamoxifen next, which I took for 7 years but the cancer came back. I am now on letrozole with no problems except joint pain."

voter (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking anastrozole for approximately two and one half years. First year hot flashes but no other problems. Started the joint pain about a year ago, tiredness, swelling and problems listed by other users. Most worrisome side affect is the loss of lung function. I have had Pulmonary Fibrosis for several years but until about a year ago have been able to live with the condition with no major problems. Told several doctors about my problems with breathing but none have suggested it was anastrozole until my Pharm D told me pulmomary odema was also a side effect of the drug. Left a message with my oncologist this morning that I was going to stop taking the drug. Have an appointment with my pulmonologist next week for an evaluation."

over 68 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago. Took 15 double radiation treatments and been on Anastrozole for 5 years. When I finish this prescription I will be through. I must be the lucky one. I had no side affects other than the normal aches and pains that happen to older people. I had a friend who would not take this and she lived 3 months after her surgery. If the doctor says you need it, please take it."

DottieLu (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on this drug for 10 months now. The negative effects I believe can be reversed if other supplements are taken along with it. I say this because I take them everyday and so far, the only bad effect is having cognitive dysfunction and other than that I have no joint pain, thinning hair, depression etc. BTW, the large mass in my right breast have decreased in size dramatically because I topically apply DMSO every night and take Iodoral(50mg) once a day. These are the supplements/vitamins I take daily: 9,000mg. Vit.C, 2,000mg. MSM, IP6/Inositol 24 capsules, Vit D3, Vit. K2, Boron, DMG, Potassium, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium, Strontium, Copper, Zinc, Vit B17(3x), and Powdered Hydrolized Collagen."

jessbf March 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello, I was diagnosed May 7,2016, had a single mastectomy on 5/23, that put me to have IDC stage 2 grade 3 onco diagnostic score of 29. I went through chemo four AC and 12 taxol. A lot of side effects including blood clots in my medi port, heart and lung, white blood cells extremely low, sent me to the hospital for four days, I was put on xarelto for the blood clots. I was finally able to complete my chemo Dec 16,2016. My onco started me on anastrozole in Feb 2017, and after just 10 days I stopped them, it was not much bc of the bone pain, tiredness, etc, but because my mood was so horrible, I was just snapping a people for no reason and I didn't like that. She said 50/50 chance, then I'll take my chance."

Boricua63 March 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I took the Arimidex for five years, three years in I began having serious issues in my hands. Trigger finger in both hands. Two years after stopping the medication, I am still having serious issues with my hands. The side effects are accumulative, and I decided to discontinue taking it."

survived February 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Anastrozole for 2 years 2 months following a double mastectomy, Chemo, & radiation. I had trigger thumb surgeries on both thumbs the first year. I am a dentist, so not being able to bend my thumbs is not an option. My hair is very thin. My knees are so sore I can hardly walk when I first get up. Getting down on my knees is excruciating! I am an active person but I move like a 90 year old woman. I am thankful to be alive and thankful that this medication is available. However, if anyone knows how to help the knee pain, please share."

Dr H (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Anastrozole for 2 years and just in the past 3 months have I had any side effects. All of a sudden my knees ache, I had to have shots in my wrist and thumbs for tendinitis. I exercise regularly and could not figure out why this was happening until I researched the side effects. Has anyone tried Letrozole? Same side effects? I am only 53 and not really wanting to feel like I am 90. I am grateful to be alive but what are the real chances that this will re-occur? Right now I am on Anastrozole that is preventing recurrence, that caused tendonitis and trigger thumbs and was given Meloxicam for painful joints, so when does the medications end? So frustrated. Thankful for your input."

SoDeVa February 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I have been on Arimidex since December. I am experiencing locked up hands in the a.m. with pain; weakened grips and discomfort using the computer for my job. Also,at times low back and sciatica pain. I am considering changing medication."

deb a (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Side effects of joint pain, depression, irritability, hot flashes, night sweats, midsternal chest pressure and headaches. Stopped medication and within 48hours symptoms improved."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am reading about all of these side effects. I just finished my five years and it's not necessary for me to continue on with it. I suppose some of my achy feelings and stuff came from this drug, but I take a few others so I'm not sure. I haven't had any side effects no hair loss or thinning like many others that I've read about. One woman I met shortly after I got breast cancer said she did not take the drug as was recommended and not long after her breast cancer turned into lung cancer now it's inoperable so she urged people to take the drug. Thank you I hope your drug makes me live longer to be with my granddaughters."

To amri (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello, Strength and Love and all other readers - based on my experience, the horrific joint pain from Arimidex/Anastrozole is gone three weeks after you stop taking it. My doctor told me to quit the Anastrazole again for three weeks and then start on Tamoxifen, which has its own unsettling side effects. This is the price we pay for breast cancer, but we're still here. My best friend paid with her life in 2016 (RIP my beloved Deb). So, hang in there Ladies! You are not alone struggling with this med. May 2017 be a Happy HEALTHY New Year for us all! D"

DeeEm (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010. Double mastectomy, chemo, radiation, & 5yrs on Tamoxifen. Just switched over to Anastrizole in Aug. By early December I just couldn't take the joint pain anymore. I developed tendinitis on my wrist so I made the choice to stop taking it. It has been 2 weeks and the tendinitis is slightly better, but I still have really bad ankle, knee, heel, hip, shoulder, & elbow pain. I was perfectly fine before the anastrozole. How long will I have to be off the meds before the pain goes away? The oncologist highly recommended I go back on anastrozole or tamixifen again. She said the percentage was 4% better if I stay on. I have made the decision to eat healthy, excercise and NOT take anymore cancer meds."

Strength&Love December 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Breast Cancer Stage 1 Lumpectomy 20 Radiation treatments - advised Anastrozole - advised Previous chronic problems: fibromyalgia , degenerative disc lower back. Side Effects: Intensified Hot Flashes, insomina, and chronic fibro , hip, back pain. I was expecting these side effects and since I was already experiencing them for many years, the intensity was not expected. The hot flashes are being treated by black cohosh and Effexor taken morning and evening. Reduction in frequency and intensity of hot Flashes. I thank you ladies for confirming the side effects that I am experiencing. I also have been having an increased loss of hair each day but that seems to be abating a bit!"

Blitz Queen (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After quitting Anastrazole/Arimidex for five weeks and then starting it up again, I saw my oncologist. Told her the joint pain had disappeared completely while off the med and then started up again within a week after starting to take it again. Told her I was scared to stop taking it and she said it was completely up to me. Tamoxifen not quite as effective and has its own set of side affects. So, that concerns me. In a quandary and need to make a decision. Joint pain back to the near intolerable stage. Keep telling myself "just a bad day", "too much moving around", "it will get better" or "I can take it". But don't think I can. Will switchto the Tamoxifen. Keep u posted . God bless, Ladies."

DeeEm (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer in Aug 2014 and had 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiotherapy. Have been taking anastrazole for approximately 17 months and have noticed I get very tired, sore joints and thinning hair. Has anyone else experienced hair loss?"

Yols (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on anastrol 1mg & the only side effect I'm dealing with is weight gain, I can live with that. Also depression has been getting me down as I've no family or friends many acquaintances in the Gold Coast .My heart goes out to all the other cancer suffers dealing with so many side effects . I had a double mastectomy sept 2015"

Spun out (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016