User Reviews for Anastrozole

Also known as: Arimidex

Learn more about Anastrozole.

Anastrozole Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 155 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Anastrozole to treat Breast Cancer

"I have been on Anastrozole for 13 months now. Initially I had some joint pain but that has subsided. A little weight gain, however after receiving a walking monitor for Christmas I have been on a walking program. I walk a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. The result has been a 17 pound weight loss since December. I feel terrific and am full of energy. I will soon have my 64th birthday and am overjoyed that I am cancer free and am able to manage the medication."

CollinsL (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole): "Im on year 12! Large weight gain. Horrid bone pain...especially bottom long bones in legs and right arm. Neuropathy. Weak hands as far as gripping. Getting up and moving after sitting awhile is not fun. Headaches. Walk the floors at night, because being up ON my legs, makes the pain a little better. I was stage 3c, ER+, scared too death to come off it. I'm 45 and want to stick around, but wish I didn't feel so crappy."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2016

"I have been taking Anastrozole for the past 10 months.. I had Breast Cancer and was treated with radiation for 6 weeks. I have decided to go off this pill as it has terrible side effects. The pain in my joints and hot flashes seem to have come full force just this week. I feel like I can't smile, I have no motivation and just feel spacey all the time. I am a young minded, spirited 70 year old, and have always enjoyed life. I honestly feel that my quality of life is more important than living with such disabilatating pain. I believe that the next ten years should be enjoyed with my family.. I don't know if I will have the energy at 80 but I will do my best to enjoy every day getting there!"

Dips52 July 10, 2016

"I have been on this medicine approximately 8 months, have started having side effects that say to contact my Doctor immediately (waiting for a call back as I type this) : blisters on my lower lip and inside mouth, sores on the hairline, my face occasionally looks sunburned, pain in chest and difficulty swallowing, vision changes, sore throat, some pain in abdomen area, some dizziness, severe hot flashes, and nausea. I did not take the medicine this morning and do not intend to continue."

Author2012 June 27, 2016

"I have been on anastozole for a year and half, was on tamoxifen for a year before but now gone through menopause. I was a fit 41 year old before, I always have horrible taste in mouth, struggle to get up to walk especially from out of bed, my joints are so painful, I struggle to grip, lost the steering wheel the other week and nearly shot off road, fuzzy head, hot sweats, think I've made the decision to come off it and hope for the best."

Super woman (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I have been using Arimidex for approx. 6 months. I have had some side effects, mostly hot flashes, and some insomnia. The hot flashes have gotten better, and the insomnia I just switched the time of day in which I took the medication."

Beatlebear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I have been taking arimidex for 2 months. Within the first two weeks my osteoarthritis has deteriorated from tolerable to barely able to walk. I can not stand for long periods. My knees get stiff each time I sit. I have received a series if Ortho visc injections and am hoping for a miracle. I must keep working for insurance coverage. I have vision changes, chest and muscle pain,also. I have added fosamax due to the risk of calcium loss since I was diagnosed with osteopenia at the same time as stage 1 breast cancer. I am expertiencing more fatigue with arimidex than after radiation. I am not sure if I can tough this out for five years!"

Nijimon (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016

"I have been on this medication for half a year. I was on tamoxifen for 3 and a half years but after I had my ovaries removed was moved onto anastrozole. Since starting my entire body hurts. My bones my hands my joints everything. Have been backwards and forwards to doctors who have not been much help, aside from the the pain emotionally it makes me worry I have cancer somewhere else. Some days I can hardly get out of bed with it. Some days the pain is just an ache other times just sharp pains that can be anywhere. I am preserving though, I figure I would rather have the pain that get cancer back so if this helps at all it will all be worth it. There are days that I am not so positive but only got a year to go... I am 44."

NicolaSalv May 24, 2016

"I have been taking this medication for the last 2 months I am 52 years old. I already had some joint pain from slight arthritis in my lower back hips and hands I now have joint pain and soreness almost everywhere. I cannot seem to lose any weight which my doctor has advised and my word loss and short-term memory is not good. I kind of thought this was all in my head but I see from reading these blogs that this is what can happen. I hope it passes"

Glama5 May 6, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole): "Minimal problems. Been on for 1 year now. Joint stiffness in legs and weight gain. Had some trouble early in treatment with trouble sleeping. Gone now."

SKIDWAY March 24, 2016

"i have been on this medication for 16 months, I was able to manage the hot flushes and muscle pain for a year, then I found out I was having breathing problems so tired I couldn't even do my housework, I lost my balance a few times forgot words I wanted to use had mental confusion, then was told my blood pressure was sky high. So that was enough I came of the drug 1 month ago and most of my symptoms have subsided I still have dizzy turns but hopefully this will improve. The cure unfortunately has turned out to worse than the actual Cancer and Radiation. Hope this helps."

Amimaryann (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 17, 2016

"I was taking bio identical hormones. The doctor insisted I take arimidex with the pellets. Omg I was strong, healthy and never had joint pain. I can barely do yoga, my hip joints and knees hurt. I am cancer free but this doctor wouldn't give me the hormones without the Arimidex. As soon as I got the injection I knew it was th arimidex that was causing th pain. 4 months later I was getting my hormone injections again. I told her I WOULD NOT take the arimidex. She made me sign a release saying she wasn't responsible. Of course I did. But she didn't sign anything saying she caused this terrible pain."

Johor March 11, 2016

"Since taking this medication, I have extreme joint pain. I have to pull myself up the stairs at home. It takes me quite a while to make it up the two flights of stairs. My husband says I have bad breathe since being on this the past four years which is embarrassing. I've read on other sites that others have experienced that. And I sleep an average of 4 hours a night with the insomnia that I have. My oncologist thinks I'm making this up which is so unprofessional. So many people have these same symtoms. I'm 50."

Laura A. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 17, 2016

"I have been on this medication for 18 months now. I have experienced severe hot flushes, which has mostly subsided. I have bouts of severe bone pain in my thighs, shins to the point where it feels like I have been beat with a baseball bat. I have insomnia along with mental confusion & short term memory loss. I get mild nausea but have probably gained 30 lbs. My arthritis in my ankles has Worsened. Not sure how much longer I can stay on this medication."

MaryCynL February 9, 2016

"I have atypical ductal hyperplasia. Initially put on Tamoxofen, stopped secondary to multiple side effects to include osteoporosis and poor quality of life. Took 9 month drug free vacation before agreeing to taking Arimidex anastrozole. Hot flashes and insomnia have been dependent on what time of the day I take the medicine; worse if taken late afternoon/evening. Have had a return of joint/arthritic pain in hips/low back, shoulders and hands. Have fatigue, no libido and have gained 15 pounds despite being active and eating healthy. Short-term memory is poor and word recall is frustrating. I know many do well on this medicine but not sure if I will stay on it."

Young Nana February 3, 2016

"Age 54, Stage 3 Double mastectomy, chemo and radiation (last dose 12/31/14) and now I am starting year two on Anastrazole. Joint pain, hands numb/painful upon awakening, long bone pain. I have wrestled with stopping this medication because of the severity of the side effects until I got on a study for a testosterone/anastrazole implant. I know I did not get the placebo per the return of libido, reduced vaginal dryness and reduced pain. here is the initial study: http://www.ascopost.com/issues/october-15,-2014/testosteroneanastrozole-implants-relieve-menopausal-symptoms-in-breast-cancer-survivors.aspx"

Harriet33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 29, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I only took Arimidex for 1 month, after having a mastectomy. During that month I experienced severe joint pain, nausea, headaches, shortness of breath, and finally, a severe asthma attack which convinced me that I needed to stop this drug. Almost immediately, all side effects disappeared. Now, eight months after stopping Arimidex, and taking nothing else, I have quite severe Rheumatoid arthritis. I was previously fit and active. I am 70 years old. I would rather take my chances with the cancer returning than take this drug again."

Angry Nana September 20, 2015

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I have been on Arimidez for a little over 4 months. Other than a little bit of hot flashes I have had no side effects at all."

Kell Bell September 2, 2015

"I am having bad side effects: my eyes, my nervousness, my emotions iching, not sleeping and my balance. I am having a hard time with this medicine"

peg2sue August 13, 2015

Arimidex (anastrozole): "fine initially but within 2 weeks, severe ankle pain, insomnia, hot flashes and severe sweating. Thinning hair just after it just all grew back beautifully. Difficult eye prescription, moody, tingling nerve pain in right thigh, tired and now have a hiatal hernia. Lack of interest in sex, which has still not returned :( I just wonder what the long term effects could be. This med was one I loved to hate. But my cancer is gone and it has been 6 years that I am cancer free"

oma bama August 10, 2015

"Began taking this med about a month ago. So far, have NO sweating, but the arthritic pain is pretty high. Arms fall asleep when sleeping in most positions other than sleeping on my back. Have also noticed "tingling" on the left forward part of my brain. Comes and goes. Hair loss, but not extensive. Finding it difficult to tie shoe laces - middle finger, left hand--knuckle keeps popping (painful). Lots of soreness and stiffness in the upper part of my spine. Yesterday (8/4) thought I had a chunk of donut stuck in my esophagus but I can still feel something there today. Will need to contact oncologist for guidance on that."

MEBC (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

"i learned from patient reviews that taking magnesium helps mitigate side effects of arimidex. So I began taking magnesium glycinate before I even began the arimidex. I do think it helps. I am also following an anti-cancer diet. No muscle pain, no joint pain, only two very mild hot flashes, no weight gain, no headaches, no constipation, no mood swings. But when I had to take prednisone for 6 days for systemic poison ivy, I had lots of those side effects. If you check the list of magnesium deficiency side effects against arimidex side effects, you will find them very very similar. Been on arimidex 3 months and sticking with it so far."

Granny jay July 18, 2015

"After 18 years, bc returned on my scar. The guidelines at the time was no chemo or rads for non invasive carcinoma. I had 4 chemo and 21 rads. I have been 9n anastrazole for 3 years. My oncologist only had smpathy. I went to Nutrition Dept which was proven a God Send. After 2 weeks on Cod Liver Oil, Coconut Oil, Glucosamine, Vitamins D3, Vitamin B12, I no longer walk bent over, moan after climbing 5 stairs, have a.m. muscle pains. I can walk erect, bend over, out walk my husband and write as l9ng as I wish. Give it a try girl it works!"

gypsy scarlett June 21, 2015

"I started anastrozole one year ago. At first I didnt notice any side effects. Now for the past three or four months Ive experienced gradual increase in my joints. My hip joints, knee and hands, give me a lot of pain. I also have stiff hands when I wake up each morning, trigger fingers and thumb, it gradually gets better as the day goes on. Other side effects I have experienced is hair thinning, anxiety, insomnia, thinning nails, chronic diarrhea, thinning of the lower walls of my vagina causing a bladder prolapse and dry mouth. I have stopped taking the product and called my oncologist. He suggested Aromasin but after reading about the side effects of that it seems like I am going from the frying pan into the fire."

Meriaasong (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2015

"I started anastrozole one year ago in June 2014 after a double mastectomy. I did not need chemo or radiation as I caught the cancer early and my Oncotype DX score was very low. The first 3 months I didn't notice any side effects. But then I gained(so far) 10 lbs. and I am very active and work out 5 days a week with weights and cardio(I am 60 yrs. old now) My hips, lower back especially left side and knees hurt allot and my knees feel weak. It makes it very difficult to get up off the floor. Also both thumb joints hurt all the time. No hair loss or nail issues but some hot flashes. I wonder if it will get worse-still have 4 years left."

Surfergirl55 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2015