User Reviews for Anastrozole to treat Breast Cancer

Also known as: Arimidex

Anastrozole Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Anastrozole

-------- · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2020

“My father took this to boost his testosterone and he was dead in 2 weeks from a clot that traveled to his heart. Because this medicine can cause clots.”

malia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2020

Arimidex (anastrozole): “I was diagnosed with breast cancer Stage 1, Grade 1. Lumpectomy and radiation no chemo. I am 7 months into taking Arimidex and joint and muscle pain horrible. I am a very active person with running all my life and hiking. I am sore from head to toe in both the muscles and joints. Also fatigued way more than usual. I just told my oncologist that I was stopping the Arimidex for now. My onc said to stay off the Arimidex for a month. I will then call back and let them know my status. May then put me on another AI.”

EeoyreFan May 31, 2020

“DX: breast cancer (BC) stage 1, lumpectomy w/lymph nodes removed followed by radiation. Started anastrozole after radiation. Initially had substantial hot flashes & insomnia but these stopped after 3 weeks. Then joint pain started, increasing so that after 6 months I could not sit or stand for more than 1/2 hour w/o being in terrible pain. If I had to squat, my knee joints would freeze & I could only stand by pulling myself up using my arms. After 1 year I’d gained 20 lbs & shuffling a mile was all I could do for exercise. Doc was skeptical that anastrozole was causing the symptoms but suggested going off it for 2 weeks. At the end of those weeks most of the joint pain had gone! Went back on anastrozole. In 2 months the joint pain to return but I was determined to tough it out. Saw the doctor this week, year 2. So thankful no BC recurrence, but have gained 20 more lbs. My mood is down. My hands & ankles are swollen like sausages. Simple chores are agony & exhausting. Now switching to tamoxifen...”

Rocky February 28, 2020

“I'm 66. I've been on Arimidex 6 months. That was following a lumpectomy (stage 1 invasive ductile carcinoma 1.6 cm) and 33 radiation treatments. The first month I had no side effects. Second month I started to get sleep disruption, mood swings. Now I've progressed to having joint pain, worst in my left shoulder and elbow ( surgery side) Pain in left chest/breast where the tumor was removed. In the last two weeks my right thumb started to stiffen up - trigger finger. Sleep disruption went away after a month but it has returned during the sixth month. I was taking Arimidex 2 hours before bed & I'm going to try taking it first thing in the morning and see if it stops the sleep disruption. In the last month or two I have started to feel basically unwell & very stiff, especially when I wake up in the morning and I'm feeling kind of depressed. I do yoga twice a week and try to walk twice a week as well. Perhaps I will increase my exercise Blessings. Good luck to you.”

Kk · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2020

Arimidex (anastrozole): “Taken anastrazole for 4 years. Having debilitating joint pain, difficulty walking. Will definitely need to consider stopping this medication. Need quality of life. Don’t let the physicians make you feel like your crazy!”

Oakland · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

“Invasive Lobular Carc. Grade 2 Stage 1A. ER+PR+ HER-Oncotype DX 9. Lumpectomy & 21 days radiation. W/ generic anastrozole: Very strong bone and joint pain after 1 to 2 weeks in places I didn't think I had arthritis as well as in those places I'd previously "insulted" during my 64 years. Thought that if were to be my life, I'd rather die sooner rather than later. Med. Onc. told me all aromatase inhibitors would have same effect so put me on tamoxifen. 3 weeks into that - so far just sweater on and off, on and off.”

Jane · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 9, 2020

“I wish I could sue Astra zenica. 3 years from finishing that drug my hair remains so thin I could pass as a 90 year old. I've been in a depressed daze since. It trashed my joints and I lost my gallbladder and spent a small fortune in physical therapy for the frozen shoulder...and guess what? I threw the drugs in the trash and no more frozen shoulder.”

Moni January 6, 2020

“I had stage I lobular breast cancer, with clear lymph nodes. I chose a skin spearing mastectomy and no radiation or chemo. I will complete my five years of anastrozole treatment in two months. I am 67 years old, and I have to say, I did not have all those side effects as I many women in this site have had. I did loose a lot of hair( but Rogaine has helped a lot). I I am tired often but still have a lot of energy once I get up. The medicine has affected my bones, since before I started taking I had osteopenia. Although this medicine is very hard on your bones and joints, I have never thought of stop taking it. Maybe because I never had hot flashes or insomnia I have been able to tolerate it and I personally don't think it's so horrible. I highly recommend to stick with the treatment. Five years go by pretty quick.”

Dani · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 29, 2019

“This causeed side effects in that I had rare kidney infarcts ( shower of blood clots) hit my right kidney. 6 days in the hospital with everything else ruled out. Now on Aromasin. I had symptoms early on a few months after starting Arimidex. Veins in my hands would hurt very bad than turn red/ purple and than ruptured under the skin. I also had a very painful big toe weeks before the blood clots hit. Oncologist and NP ignored my concerns and kept me on the medicine. Needless to say I have a new oncologist. Aromasin still causes the usual hot flashes, joint muscle pain, fatigue and nausea. But better on all of those symptoms than I was with Arimidex. Good luck ladies!”

tiredandcrancky December 28, 2019

“Told anastrozole will help prevent cancer from coming back, ok cool. Instead I have side effects of being tired, crancky, ouchy, tired, oh look and psoriasis! tired, kind of dumber, but a good shot of whiskey does that too. gained weight, bones weak 1 year down, more to go!! cheers!”

Fighter · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 8, 2019

“I was diagnosed with Stage IIIc, Grade 3 breast cancer in 2017. I had a lumpectomy and axillary node dissection, 16 rounds of chemo and 30 rounds of radiation and started anastrozole after the chemo. The positives about the drug are: -Small, easy to take -Once a day dosing -relatively inexpensive The primary negatives, as others have said, are body and joint aches. I also have daily fatigue and some mood changes. I’m tempted to stop taking it but don’t because of how advanced my diagnosis was. I’ll continue to hang in there and do what I can to prevent further cancer occurrence.”

Mimi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2019

“I started anastrozole eight months ago it wasn’t a very pleasant experience. It elevated my liver enzymes I wasn’t able to go to the bathroom whatever it did to my kidney or bladder? either I went to much I didn’t go at all . I am off of it now eight weeks. Well the pain is gone and my legs and my shoulders everywhere I don’t know what my liver enzymes are I was getting blood work on Monday. I see the doctor in two more days I don’t know what they’re going to do. I don’t want to take any of the inhibitors I guess they’re going to check the liver enzymes if they are still up. I cannot stand the pain that I was in on the anestrozole it was horrible. I don’t know what’s down the road for me I pray that whoever is on this medication that they are able to take it and it helps them”

LENA November 17, 2019

“I had 2cm stage 1 breast cancer, a lumpectomy, 4 radiation treatments which caused lymphedema, then started this drug. Within 6 weeks, the pain in my hips & legs woke me up in the middle of the night. I stopped the drug, & after 7 weeks, the side effects went away. My oncologist then put me another AI, & within two days, my entire body hurt & I couldn't eat. I restarted this med in in June 2019. This time the hip & leg pain returned, along with the feeling of extreme mania, severe irritability & poor impulse control. I stopped the drug in late August. It's now November 2019, & I'm still am having pain in my hips & thighs. I'm opting not to take any further meds to prevent the cancer from returning. I'm 67, & refuse to spend the next 5 years feeling like I'm 90. My oncologist wasn't happy, & I fired her. I have a new oncologist, & she understands where I'm coming from & will not force me to take the meds.”

Laura · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2019

“I recently started taking Anastrozole a month ago. I had Invasive Ductile Carconima (Stage 1) and had surgery to remove the tumor in August of this year and then went through 16 treatments of Radiation Therapy. Within 2 weeks of taking Anastrozole I noticed a considerable amount of hair loss (thinning). Besides the thinning of my hair, it also caused dryness and coarse - more brittle hair. I've also experienced a slight more stiffness in my joints although I just turned 55 and I suppose with my age, it can also be contributing more. I hope that the medication works out and I don't have to switch to another medication. My oncologist has asked that I take the medicine for 5 years. Wish me luck!!! I hope others on this site are able to find a solution that works for them.”

Arones47 November 7, 2019

Arimidex (anastrozole): “I took it for 5 years and just stopped on October 31st. This drug is TERRIBLE. It destroys your bones, causes hip joint pain so bad that you lose your balance, causes hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, constipation, heart palpitations, spinal pain, loss of bone density which causes OSTEOPENIA which can lead to OSTEOPOROSIS and more. Its disgusting that this is basically the only one you can take other than tamoxifen. Your oncologist SHOULD tell you what the side effects are going to do so that you can somehow prepare for them. Mine prescribed GABAPENTIN for the hot flashes, night sweats and insomnia. Arimidex has to be taken for only 5 years and no more. Hopefully the weakness in my hip joints will ease, the pain in my bones, the constipation, heart palpitations. You will never get back the bone loss. I'm taking high doses of OTC vitamin C & D.”

Stella · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 29, 2019

Arimidex (anastrozole): “I’m finally off Arimidex. Every time I mentioned one of the many side effects I was experiencing, my oncologist said it not from the drug. Read the flyer that comes with it. I’m hoping my joints and bones will stop hurting, that I won’t sweat through my insomnia and that my hair will come back. What a miserable 5 years.”

Indygirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 21, 2019

Arimidex (anastrozole): “I have been taking Arimidex for six months. Insomnia is the worse part for me. Some hot flashes and moodiness. Weight gain of ten pounds due to fatigue and pauses in working out. Just recently I up my walking to 80 minutes a day a cut out all sugar. This has helped me with the insomnia. Some joint discomfort, but not bad. Just trying to figure out what is best way to help with side effects.”

Polly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2019

Arimidex (anastrozole): “I was diagnosed stage 1b Lumpectomy, 4 weeks of radiation then Arimidex. Well the side affects are too much for me. The bone pain was excruciating, it woke me up at night. Fatigue, headache, nausea, foggy brain, I do yoga and walk 3 days a week. I have decided to go a natural path. Do the research for yourself before you make your on decisions. I just want a good quality of life back! I wish you all well.”

EJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 1, 2019

“I took Anastrozole for 7 months. I had radiation after a lumpectomy for DCIS and started the drug during RT. The side effects were extremely hard to handle. I had severe joint - muscle pain. The pain was in my small joints as well as back and hips! I also had numbness in my hands and feet. After consulting my oncologist I decided that my risks of reoccurring breast cancer are very low and the drug therapy cut that low risk in half! I discontinued the drug on 9/11/19 and have noticed some improvement in the pain and hope it decreases the longer I am off the Anastrozole!”

Not a fan · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2019

“55 year Active female thru experience of breast cancer diagnosed Oct. 2018 with HER-EST+, 8 Rounds Chemo, Bilateral surgery, 23 Lymphnodes removed & 30 radiation treatments. I took Anarozole for 20 days and called to let nurse know symptoms that experienced ~ I had shortness of breath, I itched, I hurt in toes, knees, hips, bones popping, could hardly get up & down sometimes stumbling. I wasn’t active bubbly self with family or friends. I had brain fogs and was so fatigued I couldn’t even do the ten minute PT exercises I had been doing daily for past 2 months without wanting to fall asleep! I had cloudy urine and UTI. My nurse told me to stop taking it for 2 weeks. I have been off of it for 8 days and feel so much better!!! I’m thank God for his blessings in my life also a support group of family and friends who have prayed /loved and been there for me.I will continue to trust in God from here for my health! :))”

Karools14 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 26, 2019

“Have taken ANASTEROLE for 8 months , following lumpectomy and radiation a year ago. After about 2 months, began to have severe hot flashes and insomnia. Eating more cold food and keeping air conditioning cooler helped. Symptoms followed such as exhaustion, low energy and low motivation. For past 4 months , have had extreme exhaustion , severe pain and feeling achy all over like having the flu. I have also had 4 bouts of severe stabbing stomach pain, followed by nausea and vomiting and painful elimination. Walking more than a few yards is painful and causes shortness of breath. I am experiencing severe depression and have crying spells. Last week my oncologist told me to stop ANASTEROLE for 6 weeks. I hope my symptoms decrease! But if so, I don’t know what will recommended in its place. I am very concerned about cancer returning!”

JW · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2019

Arimidex (anastrozole): “Have been on Arimidex for 6 months, bone and joint pain and hot flashes have been the worst side effects. Starting Tamoxifen in 2 weeks, praying this one is better ”

Nana · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

“I feel like my life has been wrecked by Anastrozole. After a couple of months the Oncologist took me off it for 6 weeks to allow my body to repair. He has now put me on Tamoxifen. Body has not repaired itself. Before I started this pill I was an active 72 year old who enjoyed life to the full, walking my dog, looking after my grandchildren and socialising with friends etc. Now I have Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Tibialis Tendinosis (none of which I had before) which I am probably going to have to have major surgery which will take a year to get over. The pain is excruciating and I can only walk a few steps. I have become depressed as well at not being mobile and having so much pain. My husband is waiting for a hip replacement and we are having to pay daily to get our dog walked and to get our house cleaned a couple of times a week. It is difficult to shop and stand and cook. Have been told by physio not to walk or stand if at all possible.”

Ukey · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 2, 2019

Arimidex (anastrozole): “Finished my 5 years of therapy May 6th & was counting down the last 6 months leading up to that date! I would sweat so bad while on it, very intolerant of heat & now that I am off it I feel pretty warm sometimes but the sweat doesn't drip like it used to, thank goodness! Have been getting a little more sleep since stopping it (was only sleeping at the most, 4 hours at a time, while on the anastrozole), I am noticing much less hair loss in the shower, I don't get the odd, slight queasy feeling in the mornings anymore & my general mood has improved- at least, I think so! ”

Charlie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

“Anastrozole was terrible for me. Carpal tunnel, insomnia, inflamed joints, constipation, muscle aches, skin irritations, hot flashes, and more. I took it for just over 3 months, and am still experiencing side effects 6 weeks after stopping. For only a 2% reduction in risk of recurrence for me, it's not worth feeling miserable all the time.”

Learn more about Breast Cancer

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)