User Reviews for Anastrozole

Also known as: Arimidex

Learn more about Anastrozole.

Anastrozole Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 151 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Anastrozole to treat Breast Cancer

"I am on this drug for 10 months now. The negative effects I believe can be reversed if other supplements are taken along with it. I say this because I take them everyday and so far, the only bad effect is having cognitive dysfunction and other than that I have no joint pain, thinning hair, depression etc. BTW, the large mass in my right breast have decreased in size dramatically because I topically apply DMSO every night and take Iodoral(50mg) once a day. These are the supplements/vitamins I take daily: 9,000mg. Vit.C, 2,000mg. MSM, IP6/Inositol 24 capsules, Vit D3, Vit. K2, Boron, DMG, Potassium, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium, Strontium, Copper, Zinc, Vit B17(3x), and Powdered Hydrolized Collagen."

jessbf March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello, I was diagnosed May 7,2016, had a single mastectomy on 5/23, that put me to have IDC stage 2 grade 3 onco diagnostic score of 29. I went through chemo four AC and 12 taxol. A lot of side effects including blood clots in my medi port, heart and lung, white blood cells extremely low, sent me to the hospital for four days, I was put on xarelto for the blood clots. I was finally able to complete my chemo Dec 16,2016. My onco started me on anastrozole in Feb 2017, and after just 10 days I stopped them, it was not much bc of the bone pain, tiredness, etc, but because my mood was so horrible, I was just snapping a people for no reason and I didn't like that. She said 50/50 chance, then I'll take my chance."

Boricua63 March 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I took the Arimidex for five years, three years in I began having serious issues in my hands. Trigger finger in both hands. Two years after stopping the medication, I am still having serious issues with my hands. The side effects are accumulative, and I decided to discontinue taking it."

survived February 28, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Anastrozole for 2 years 2 months following a double mastectomy, Chemo, & radiation. I had trigger thumb surgeries on both thumbs the first year. I am a dentist, so not being able to bend my thumbs is not an option. My hair is very thin. My knees are so sore I can hardly walk when I first get up. Getting down on my knees is excruciating! I am an active person but I move like a 90 year old woman. I am thankful to be alive and thankful that this medication is available. However, if anyone knows how to help the knee pain, please share."

Dr H (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Anastrozole for 2 years and just in the past 3 months have I had any side effects. All of a sudden my knees ache, I had to have shots in my wrist and thumbs for tendinitis. I exercise regularly and could not figure out why this was happening until I researched the side effects. Has anyone tried Letrozole? Same side effects? I am only 53 and not really wanting to feel like I am 90. I am grateful to be alive but what are the real chances that this will re-occur? Right now I am on Anastrozole that is preventing recurrence, that caused tendonitis and trigger thumbs and was given Meloxicam for painful joints, so when does the medications end? So frustrated. Thankful for your input."

SoDeVa February 13, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Arimidex (anastrozole): "I have been on Arimidex since December. I am experiencing locked up hands in the a.m. with pain; weakened grips and discomfort using the computer for my job. Also,at times low back and sciatica pain. I am considering changing medication."

deb a (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Side effects of joint pain, depression, irritability, hot flashes, night sweats, midsternal chest pressure and headaches. Stopped medication and within 48hours symptoms improved."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am reading about all of these side effects. I just finished my five years and it's not necessary for me to continue on with it. I suppose some of my achy feelings and stuff came from this drug, but I take a few others so I'm not sure. I haven't had any side effects no hair loss or thinning like many others that I've read about. One woman I met shortly after I got breast cancer said she did not take the drug as was recommended and not long after her breast cancer turned into lung cancer now it's inoperable so she urged people to take the drug. Thank you I hope your drug makes me live longer to be with my granddaughters."

To amri (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello, Strength and Love and all other readers - based on my experience, the horrific joint pain from Arimidex/Anastrozole is gone three weeks after you stop taking it. My doctor told me to quit the Anastrazole again for three weeks and then start on Tamoxifen, which has its own unsettling side effects. This is the price we pay for breast cancer, but we're still here. My best friend paid with her life in 2016 (RIP my beloved Deb). So, hang in there Ladies! You are not alone struggling with this med. May 2017 be a Happy HEALTHY New Year for us all! D"

DeeEm (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010. Double mastectomy, chemo, radiation, & 5yrs on Tamoxifen. Just switched over to Anastrizole in Aug. By early December I just couldn't take the joint pain anymore. I developed tendinitis on my wrist so I made the choice to stop taking it. It has been 2 weeks and the tendinitis is slightly better, but I still have really bad ankle, knee, heel, hip, shoulder, & elbow pain. I was perfectly fine before the anastrozole. How long will I have to be off the meds before the pain goes away? The oncologist highly recommended I go back on anastrozole or tamixifen again. She said the percentage was 4% better if I stay on. I have made the decision to eat healthy, excercise and NOT take anymore cancer meds."

Strength&Love December 28, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Breast Cancer Stage 1 Lumpectomy 20 Radiation treatments - advised Anastrozole - advised Previous chronic problems: fibromyalgia , degenerative disc lower back. Side Effects: Intensified Hot Flashes, insomina, and chronic fibro , hip, back pain. I was expecting these side effects and since I was already experiencing them for many years, the intensity was not expected. The hot flashes are being treated by black cohosh and Effexor taken morning and evening. Reduction in frequency and intensity of hot Flashes. I thank you ladies for confirming the side effects that I am experiencing. I also have been having an increased loss of hair each day but that seems to be abating a bit!"

Blitz Queen (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After quitting Anastrazole/Arimidex for five weeks and then starting it up again, I saw my oncologist. Told her the joint pain had disappeared completely while off the med and then started up again within a week after starting to take it again. Told her I was scared to stop taking it and she said it was completely up to me. Tamoxifen not quite as effective and has its own set of side affects. So, that concerns me. In a quandary and need to make a decision. Joint pain back to the near intolerable stage. Keep telling myself "just a bad day", "too much moving around", "it will get better" or "I can take it". But don't think I can. Will switchto the Tamoxifen. Keep u posted . God bless, Ladies."

DeeEm (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 25, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer in Aug 2014 and had 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks of radiotherapy. Have been taking anastrazole for approximately 17 months and have noticed I get very tired, sore joints and thinning hair. Has anyone else experienced hair loss?"

Yols (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 22, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on anastrol 1mg & the only side effect I'm dealing with is weight gain, I can live with that. Also depression has been getting me down as I've no family or friends many acquaintances in the Gold Coast .My heart goes out to all the other cancer suffers dealing with so many side effects . I had a double mastectomy sept 2015"

Spun out (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Reporting in. After 5 weeks of stopping the Anastrazole, my joint pain was pretty much gone and I was ecstatic! Due to serious family illness, I had to postpone my follow up visit with my oncologist. Fearing that I had been off the med long enough, I started taking it again. That was a week ago. The joint pain came back today with a vengeance - aching knees, aching back, shortness of breath, barely able to walk. I cannot take this med anymore and it worries me as the alternatives (tamoxifen) are not as effective. See my doc in five days. Will post again. My heart goes out to all the women posting on this forum."

DeeEm (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 14, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had a lumpectomy for stage 2 breast cancer September 2014; started taking arimidex a month later, until today, December 10, 2016. My oncologist is having me go off it for 4 weeks because in the last 6 months I have noticed three worsening symptoms. I started getting short of breath almost immediately after starting the arimidex, but now I can't even do light housework for 5 minutes without breathing hard. The muscle aches and pains have become level 5 to 8 routinely; the moment I'm upright, I'm in pain, plus it hurts to move. But I went in to my family doctor because the depression was scaring me. I am grateful for this forum because in reading other experiences, I see that I am not alone. Will update this review later."

Kathlyn S. December 10, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking arimidex in March of 2015 after being diagnosed with bilateral stage 1 Invasive DC. After lumpectomies, I received 30 radiation treatments , but no chemo needed. I have had many side effects including Depression, joint pain, insomnia, nausea, numbness in my left hand fingers. I was determined to stay with it. Two weeks ago I ended up in the ER with hip pain so severe I was vomiting and crying. I actually have a very high tolerance for pain. I saw my oncologist today, he said we want to improve your quality of life not hinder it. He took me off the arimidex and will start me on something else in 4 weeks. It was so nice to have a doctor actually listen and want to work with me. I hope I tolerate my new med better."

Kasey1165 December 8, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Diagnosed in 1/2016: Estrogen receptive intraductal papillary carcinoma, left breast. Lucky to have a lumpectomy & clear margins. No lymph nodes. However, had a heart attack & quad bypass a week later. So--no radiation on orders of the Cardio Dr. No Tamoxofin since heart disease is a side effect. Began Arimidex in April. I am up 30 #, the hot flashe/night sweats are horrible, tired all the time, no sex drive, vaginal dryness (taking osphena for that which helps), depressed, short of breath. So far no joint pain but swelling in my feet if I sit too long. Everyone says "excercise!" but it's hard to do that when I just want to sleep! Wondering if it is worth it for the small % it can offer."

Heartsurvivor December 7, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am so thankful to be alive even though the side effects of anastrozole can be so very painful and inconvenient. What keeps me going on with my everyday life is taking a step back and remembering when I was diagnosed with breast cancer and the her2 gene. And then having a bilateral masectomy and then starting chemo and then the side effects of chemo...Whew now all that was pretty bad and I survived! So I tell myself that I will survive anastrozole also. I am so thankful that I have choices. I am also thankful while reading these comments that I am not alone!"

Thankful Survivor (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking the anastrozole now for 11 months. I have stage 1-Her2 stage 3 breast cancer. Had a lumpectomy. also went through 3 months of Chemo and 30 radiation treatments. My hot flashes continue to get worse by the day. My hands are constantly sore especially in the morning. My legs and knees have been getting worse to where I cannot get up after stooping down. Getting on my knees is impossible. Some days I think I am losing my mind. I forget what I am saying in the middle of a sentence. My husband is worried about me and is constanty making sure I'm ok. I have also been steadily becoming depressed. ( I am a very positive and happy person as a rule ) I don't feel like myself. Hate this pill. I am only 63."

SCW53 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Reporting in after being off Anastrazole for three weeks. Well, my joint pain is quite a bit better! Not a cure-all so far, but it's gone from being nearly intolerable to not so bad. I can get in and out of my car without feeling as if I am 102. Will start some exercise this week to see if that helps/hurts. See my oncologist in 2 weeks to report back to her. Like others have said, a little scared to be off the med, but had to see if it was causing all the misery. Will post an update in hopes that it helps others."

DeeEm November 27, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Arimidex (anastrozole): "Diagnosed in June 2016 Stage 2 grade 2 IDC Breast cancer. August 2016 lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy and 30 radiation treatments. Only been on arimidex for 2 weeks. Having severe bone pain in legs and hips. Knees are the worst. Some nausea and loss of appetite. Didn't expect the side effects to start within the first 2 weeks of taking arimidex. Hope the longer I'm on arimidex the side effects will get better."

Gram2000 (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Age 66. I had Stage IIA breast cancer, two tumors in the right breast, hormone receptive. I had a double mastectomy and seven lymph nodes removed (clear, thank God!). I dodged the Chemo bullet, but the side effects from the Anastrazole are terrible. Brain fog, fatigue, weight gain, severe hot flashes and now such joint pain and tendonitis of the hamstring that I walk with a limp. Got a cortisone shot ten days ago. Seemed to help some, but the pain came back with a vengeance after a week. I can hardly drive, which is required for my job (hospice chaplain). I have to work. Oncologist advised today that I go off for a week to see if the leg pain improves. If it goes away after not taking it for a week, I'll have difficult decisions to make."

Rev. Judy November 14, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had my first mastectomy in 2002. Had my second in 2015. My oncologist put me on Anestrozole. The hot flashes were unbearable, but are residing after a year on the med. Unfortunately now my feet are so painful to walk on I'm thinking that I would rather take my chances than deal with the pain in my feet. Having trouble with knee pain and every time I sit for more than one hour, I feel like I am 90. Hands ache and am too tired to get up and exercise. Is it really worth it? How much difference in reoccurrence does this give me now that I have had a double mastectomy?"

2 Time Survivor November 13, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking Anastrozole for three years after lumpectomy and 6 weeks radiation for stage 1BC. Lately, joint pain has been intolerable. Sometimes NSAIDS help. Exercise helps but hard to do when joints hurt to begin with. Also, can't go a whole day without having to lay down from feeling so tired. Completely fell apart on vacation. Was simply incapable of walking up a hill. So short of breath, knees and lower back pain unbearable. I had to stop every few feet and hold onto something. So far no evidence of recurrence. Will report all this to oncologist, as not sure I can continue this daily struggle. 65 feel like 85."

DeeEm (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2016