User Reviews for Anastrozole

Also known as: Arimidex

Learn more about Anastrozole.

Endometrial Cancer 4 reviews 9 medications

7.8
Breast Cancer, Metastatic 3 reviews 28 medications

7.3
Breast Cancer 88 reviews 56 medications

5.7
Summary of Anastrozole reviews 95 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Anastrozole

For Breast Cancer: "I am so thankful to be alive even though the side effects of anastrozole can be so very painful and inconvenient. What keeps me going on with my everyday life is taking a step back and remembering when I was diagnosed with breast cancer and the her2 gene. And then having a bilateral masectomy and then starting chemo and then the side effects of chemo...Whew now all that was pretty bad and I survived! So I tell myself that I will survive anastrozole also. I am so thankful that I have choices. I am also thankful while reading these comments that I am not alone!"

Thankful Survivor (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been taking the anastrozole now for 11 months. I have stage 1-Her2 stage 3 breast cancer. Had a lumpectomy. also went through 3 months of Chemo and 30 radiation treatments. My hot flashes continue to get worse by the day. My hands are constantly sore especially in the morning. My legs and knees have been getting worse to where I cannot get up after stooping down. Getting on my knees is impossible. Some days I think I am losing my mind. I forget what I am saying in the middle of a sentence. My husband is worried about me and is constanty making sure I'm ok. I have also been steadily becoming depressed. ( I am a very positive and happy person as a rule ) I don't feel like myself. Hate this pill. I am only 63."

SCW53 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Reporting in after being off Anastrazole for three weeks. Well, my joint pain is quite a bit better! Not a cure-all so far, but it's gone from being nearly intolerable to not so bad. I can get in and out of my car without feeling as if I am 102. Will start some exercise this week to see if that helps/hurts. See my oncologist in 2 weeks to report back to her. Like others have said, a little scared to be off the med, but had to see if it was causing all the misery. Will post an update in hopes that it helps others."

DeeEm November 27, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Diagnosed in June 2016 Stage 2 grade 2 IDC Breast cancer. August 2016 lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy and 30 radiation treatments. Only been on arimidex for 2 weeks. Having severe bone pain in legs and hips. Knees are the worst. Some nausea and loss of appetite. Didn't expect the side effects to start within the first 2 weeks of taking arimidex. Hope the longer I'm on arimidex the side effects will get better."

Gram2000 (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Age 66. I had Stage IIA breast cancer, two tumors in the right breast, hormone receptive. I had a double mastectomy and seven lymph nodes removed (clear, thank God!). I dodged the Chemo bullet, but the side effects from the Anastrazole are terrible. Brain fog, fatigue, weight gain, severe hot flashes and now such joint pain and tendonitis of the hamstring that I walk with a limp. Got a cortisone shot ten days ago. Seemed to help some, but the pain came back with a vengeance after a week. I can hardly drive, which is required for my job (hospice chaplain). I have to work. Oncologist advised today that I go off for a week to see if the leg pain improves. If it goes away after not taking it for a week, I'll have difficult decisions to make."

Rev. Judy November 14, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Had my first mastectomy in 2002. Had my second in 2015. My oncologist put me on Anestrozole. The hot flashes were unbearable, but are residing after a year on the med. Unfortunately now my feet are so painful to walk on I'm thinking that I would rather take my chances than deal with the pain in my feet. Having trouble with knee pain and every time I sit for more than one hour, I feel like I am 90. Hands ache and am too tired to get up and exercise. Is it really worth it? How much difference in reoccurrence does this give me now that I have had a double mastectomy?"

2 Time Survivor November 13, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Following up to post from two days ago. Reported all the difficulty with joint pain and my oncologist told me to immediately stop taking Anastrozole for five weeks. We will re-evaluate then. Just posting in case it is helpful to others. I will update here in 5 weeks."

DeeEm (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 5, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Taking Anastrozole for three years after lumpectomy and 6 weeks radiation for stage 1BC. Lately, joint pain has been intolerable. Sometimes NSAIDS help. Exercise helps but hard to do when joints hurt to begin with. Also, can't go a whole day without having to lay down from feeling so tired. Completely fell apart on vacation. Was simply incapable of walking up a hill. So short of breath, knees and lower back pain unbearable. I had to stop every few feet and hold onto something. So far no evidence of recurrence. Will report all this to oncologist, as not sure I can continue this daily struggle. 65 feel like 85."

DeeEm (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Lots of hot flashes fatigue and weight gain but the benefit out way the negative of this drug"

Pammi's October 25, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Taking Arimidex for just short of four years. Horrible bone and joint pain. Pain meds leave me unable to function. Insomnia, shortness of breath, chest pains. Thousands of dollars on tests that show nothing. Treated like a nut case. Oncologist finally said stop taking it, but gave me nothing for pain. Trip to ER , prescribed oxycodone which works, but knocks me out and grog continues for two days after taking it! Oncologist says recurrence is 8% without Arimidex, 5% with it. I will not continue this torture for a mere 3%! This is no way to live."

Tekteacher (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 24, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I was excited to get on this medication after over 4 years on the Tamoxifen. Unfortunately I have had some side effects that have me contemplating returning to the Tamoxifen. I have had a persistent cough for months and I am exhausted no matter how much I rest. My digestive system is messed up . I just feel all around bad."

Kjeso (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: "I took arimidex for five months after a mastectomy. The first few months I had very little problems apart from a severe farty bottom and abdominal pain. Then it hit me that awful debilitating pain so many people talk about. I couldnt close my hands in the morning and when I got out of bed I could barely walk my legs were so stiff. I tried physio, dry needling, glucosamine, tumeric and various rubs to no avail. I developed huge knotty muscle lumps on my legs and tummy. My oncologist advised me to have a short break and I noticed differences almost straight away. I could actually walk again and after two weeks everything settled. I have just started tamoxifen and I am crossing my fingers that all goes well. I really want the insurance."

Unhappy chappy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Her 2 positive breast cancer stage 3: Early detection, cancer removed.Had blockage of cancer in 1 lymph node: good: it blocked cancer from spreading, bad: gave me stage 3 harsher protocol from studies .I had 6 months of 3 types of chemo every 21 days. Then 6 more months of Herceptin only(newest Trojan chemo drug on the market) very expensive.Had 6 weeks of radiation every day of the business week. I have been on Arimidex now for 3.5 years & effects are making me wonder why I'm living daily like this in pain etc, I'm 65 now. I have all the harsh symptoms, newest is my jaw cracking and sticking.With all that chemo drug therapy including this drug, surgery & radiation I'm choosing to stop .,.Its hard to rate, so I gave a 5."

Rolling the dice Jane October 16, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: "6. months into taking this drug, I had to stop. Side effects, painful weakness in both hands, hurt to grip, Trigger thumbs- bad when waking up in am. Took med in morning. Dizzy, nausea, headache, heartburn,, discomfort in center of chest.Exhausted mid day, bone pain Lost sex drive. 62 yes old. Since stopping 2 wks ago- hoping hands & sex drive return, other problems have stopped. Feeling more normal , weakness & pain in hands still bad."

keytalk (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Only been on for 5 months after bilateral mastectomy (no chemo or rads). First month extreme hot flashes. In last month trouble sleeping due to hip pain and leg pain on right side - thought at first from jogging and waterskiing which I've done for years, but doesn't seem to correspond with those activities each day. On Humira for RA, but didn't have these symptoms while on it. Will try additional Vitamin D as suggested. Since I had a recurrence after 23 years, do not want to stop taking."

ksmayor October 12, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I was researching vaginal pain and wound up on this site, and I am so grateful I found it! I have been on Arimidex for 5 years and have experienced it all--insomnia, hot flashes, night sweats, JOINT PAIN, tired during the day (I sometimes fall asleep sitting!), memory loss, losing words, OMG, I could go on and on! For all this time, I've thought that the chemo left me in this state. Now I see that there's a chance it's not permanent! I will call my doctor tomorrow to discuss my treatment end date. The last time we spoke, he indicated that he would like me to take Anastrozole indefinitely. Now that I know that most of my issues could be due to the medication, it's time to make educated decisions. I might possibly get back to "normal"!"

Annie D (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 14, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I am 70 & suppose to start taking anastrozole in 2 days. I was diagnosed with stage 1A HER2 - 3 breast cancer last fall. After 2 operations due to some unforeseen problems, wound therapy, chemo, radiation, & the plethora of side effects from all of that, my doctor told me I needed to start taking this medication. After reading about the side effects, etc., I told him, I didn't want to because of all the problems it can cause. He said it was part of the protocal in the treatment of my type of breast cancer. I already have bad osteoarthritis in my back, + fybromyalgia & hypothyroidism. I still have some of the side effects of the chemo I am dealing with too. I don't want to mess up my chances & get my cancer back. So worried."

ComputerGal (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Have been taking Arimidex for 3 years after double mastectomy for stage 1 invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer. Have unbearable pain in legs at night, hair is thinning, memory loss & loss of words, joints in thumbs swollen & painful, hard to get up after sitting for any length of time. Went off meds for about 2 weeks but no change. Want to go off completely but afraid of cancer returning. Have had melanoma on my back and hand. Also have lymphedema in both arms & chest. Want this nightmare to be over. I see so many others have same symptoms. Feel like a lab rat but glad to be alive!"

Nanaboobear August 27, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Anastrozole for 13 months now. Initially I had some joint pain but that has subsided. A little weight gain, however after receiving a walking monitor for Christmas I have been on a walking program. I walk a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. The result has been a 17 pound weight loss since December. I feel terrific and am full of energy. I will soon have my 64th birthday and am overjoyed that I am cancer free and am able to manage the medication."

CollinsL (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2016

For Endometrial Cancer: "After surgery for ovarian cancer I was treated for 6 months with chemo which ended in Jan '13. After having to go back for another course of chemo my blood tests went up and they started me on Anastrozole. Have been on it for 6 months so far. Had stomach problems and constipation for a while, but as each problem came up I found something that would help. Other side effects have been stiffness in my joints-ankles and hips, short term memory loss, as well as trying to come up with a word I wanted to use and couldn't recall it. Loss of balance another issue as well"

Trish7665 July 25, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Im on year 12! Large weight gain. Horrid bone pain...especially bottom long bones in legs and right arm. Neuropathy. Weak hands as far as gripping. Getting up and moving after sitting awhile is not fun. Headaches. Walk the floors at night, because being up ON my legs, makes the pain a little better. I was stage 3c, ER+, scared too death to come off it. I'm 45 and want to stick around, but wish I didn't feel so crappy."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been taking Anastrozole for the past 10 months.. I had Breast Cancer and was treated with radiation for 6 weeks. I have decided to go off this pill as it has terrible side effects. The pain in my joints and hot flashes seem to have come full force just this week. I feel like I can't smile, I have no motivation and just feel spacey all the time. I am a young minded, spirited 70 year old, and have always enjoyed life. I honestly feel that my quality of life is more important than living with such disabilatating pain. I believe that the next ten years should be enjoyed with my family.. I don't know if I will have the energy at 80 but I will do my best to enjoy every day getting there!"

Dips52 July 10, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on this medicine approximately 8 months, have started having side effects that say to contact my Doctor immediately (waiting for a call back as I type this) : blisters on my lower lip and inside mouth, sores on the hairline, my face occasionally looks sunburned, pain in chest and difficulty swallowing, vision changes, sore throat, some pain in abdomen area, some dizziness, severe hot flashes, and nausea. I did not take the medicine this morning and do not intend to continue."

Author2012 June 27, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on anastozole for a year and half, was on tamoxifen for a year before but now gone through menopause. I was a fit 41 year old before, I always have horrible taste in mouth, struggle to get up to walk especially from out of bed, my joints are so painful, I struggle to grip, lost the steering wheel the other week and nearly shot off road, fuzzy head, hot sweats, think I've made the decision to come off it and hope for the best."

Super woman (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2016

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: "I have been using Arimidex for approx. 6 months. I have had some side effects, mostly hot flashes, and some insomnia. The hot flashes have gotten better, and the insomnia I just switched the time of day in which I took the medication."

Beatlebear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016