User Reviews for Anastrozole

Also known as: Arimidex

Anastrozole has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 182 ratings on Drugs.com. 26% of those users who reviewed Anastrozole reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Endometrial Cancer  Off-label 6.4
Breast Cancer, Metastatic   6.4
Breast Cancer   5.0
Summary of Anastrozole reviews 5.1 182 reviews

Reviews for Anastrozole

DianeLane29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2021

For Breast Cancer: “Hello ladies I started taking this drug as Dec 31, 2020. Happy New Year.lol. I have been taking Vitamin D and won't take calcium supplements as previous health doctor told me too much calcium can cause heart attacks in women. So I will stick to a proper diet instead. I hate the hot flashes and eye vision problems and hard to sleep sometimes. I was reading that it can cause back pain and that's what I got recently. The joint pain is only in my knee. However, I am looking forward to getting back into the gym and lifting weights again, so I am hoping some symptoms go away. Cheers !”

CK · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 19, 2021

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: “I have been on Arimidex for one year now. Side effects like everyone else is the bone and muscle pain, hot flashes, insomnia and just Now taking B-6 for the muscles, vitamin D and Calcium for the bones and a probiotic for the stomach/gastro issues. Bought a new bed, see a chiropractor once a month, etc. So many life changes just to be able to tolerate this med. As a person with high blood pressure to start with and on a HBP med, about 10 months in my BP started to climb. I was doing all the same things everyday. Walking, green tea, beet juice, limiting caffeine and alcohol and by the time I was 11 months in it was 179/109. Stopped the arimidex for 2 weeks and its down to 135/81. I am NOT crazy...I really think it is increasing my blood pressure. Going to start the arimdex again for a week and see what happens. Hoping for the best! Stay strong everyone, this too shall pass :)”

Lisa · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 20, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I have been on Arimidex for 3 years now and suffer from bad joint and muscle pain as well as bad lower back pain. I have also acquired high blood pressure and also bad bladder problems. Anyone else get any if these bad symptoms especially the bladder issues. I wish they could find a better drug that didn't have such awful side effects.”

Lab Lover · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 18, 2020

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: “Stage 1 grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma. Lumpectomy and radiation. The last 6 months of the 5 years on anastrozole I began to have hip and back pain. I stopped taking it October 1st and today is November 18th. I want to get back to my daily walk but have not been able to due to the difficulty walking. I do still walk the dog at night but it isn't easy. I have tried stretching and in some cases I felt it aggravated it. I even limp some days. It is very discouraging. I am taking 1 aleve morning and night but don't really like doing that either. I am hoping it gets better enough to walk which may make me feel better. I am 60 yrs old.”

-------- · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “My father took this to boost his testosterone and he was dead in 2 weeks from a clot that traveled to his heart. Because this medicine can cause clots.”

malia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2020

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: “I was diagnosed with breast cancer Stage 1, Grade 1. Lumpectomy and radiation no chemo. I am 7 months into taking Arimidex and joint and muscle pain horrible. I am a very active person with running all my life and hiking. I am sore from head to toe in both the muscles and joints. Also fatigued way more than usual. I just told my oncologist that I was stopping the Arimidex for now. My onc said to stay off the Arimidex for a month. I will then call back and let them know my status. May then put me on another AI.”

EeoyreFan May 31, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “DX: breast cancer (BC) stage 1, lumpectomy w/lymph nodes removed followed by radiation. Started anastrozole after radiation. Initially had substantial hot flashes & insomnia but these stopped after 3 weeks. Then joint pain started, increasing so that after 6 months I could not sit or stand for more than 1/2 hour w/o being in terrible pain. If I had to squat, my knee joints would freeze & I could only stand by pulling myself up using my arms. After 1 year I’d gained 20 lbs & shuffling a mile was all I could do for exercise. Doc was skeptical that anastrozole was causing the symptoms but suggested going off it for 2 weeks. At the end of those weeks most of the joint pain had gone! Went back on anastrozole. In 2 months the joint pain to return but I was determined to tough it out. Saw the doctor this week, year 2. So thankful no BC recurrence, but have gained 20 more lbs. My mood is down. My hands & ankles are swollen like sausages. Simple chores are agony & exhausting. Now switching to tamoxifen...”

Kacie · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 21, 2020

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer, Metastatic: “I've been taking Arimidex for 4 years for breast cancer mets. I was diagnosed with the mets to the bone in Jan/16. I'm to the point that I feel I just can't take this drug anymore, so I stopped today. I want to stop hurting so bad. I feel terrible in the morning when I try to get up. I can no longer manage steps, standing for any length of time, walking is history. I'm on major amounts of narcotics but don't get nearly as much relief as I'd like. I just can't do it anymore. My life has no quality, this drug is not worth the amount of pain it causes!! So long Arimidex!”

Rocky February 28, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I'm 66. I've been on Arimidex 6 months. That was following a lumpectomy (stage 1 invasive ductile carcinoma 1.6 cm) and 33 radiation treatments. The first month I had no side effects. Second month I started to get sleep disruption, mood swings. Now I've progressed to having joint pain, worst in my left shoulder and elbow ( surgery side) Pain in left chest/breast where the tumor was removed. In the last two weeks my right thumb started to stiffen up - trigger finger. Sleep disruption went away after a month but it has returned during the sixth month. I was taking Arimidex 2 hours before bed & I'm going to try taking it first thing in the morning and see if it stops the sleep disruption. In the last month or two I have started to feel basically unwell & very stiff, especially when I wake up in the morning and I'm feeling kind of depressed. I do yoga twice a week and try to walk twice a week as well. Perhaps I will increase my exercise Blessings. Good luck to you.”

AZ JJ · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2020

“NASTY drug... I wish I had read these reviews before starting... I am lucky I've only been on it for 2.5 weeks... already feeling REALLY crummy... anxiety, nausea, IBS symptoms (bloating, distension), major water retention, headaches, dizziness... My urologist prescribed this... but I will be talking with a endocrinologist soon about what to do about continuing TRT (testosterone replacement therapy... My Free T is very low and symptomatic)... but this drug is OUT. There has to be a better way to control estrogen... if not, I will stop TRT and live with THOSE symptoms. I am hoping that after only a few weeks... there will be no lasting effects of this toxic drug.”

Andarcsom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 1, 2020

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: “I have been taking Anastrazole since March last year and am having terrible problems with my speech and swallowing. Really terrifying incidents of choking. I am also having problems with excessive phlegm in my throat which is worse at nights and takes time to clear. I do have Myasthenia Gravis which can cause some speech problems but I have never had the choking or the phlegm and mucus previously”

Kk · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2020

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: “Taken anastrazole for 4 years. Having debilitating joint pain, difficulty walking. Will definitely need to consider stopping this medication. Need quality of life. Don’t let the physicians make you feel like your crazy!”

Oakland · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “Invasive Lobular Carc. Grade 2 Stage 1A. ER+PR+ HER-Oncotype DX 9. Lumpectomy & 21 days radiation. W/ generic anastrozole: Very strong bone and joint pain after 1 to 2 weeks in places I didn't think I had arthritis as well as in those places I'd previously "insulted" during my 64 years. Thought that if were to be my life, I'd rather die sooner rather than later. Med. Onc. told me all aromatase inhibitors would have same effect so put me on tamoxifen. 3 weeks into that - so far just sweater on and off, on and off.”

Jane · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 9, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I wish I could sue Astra zenica. 3 years from finishing that drug my hair remains so thin I could pass as a 90 year old. I've been in a depressed daze since. It trashed my joints and I lost my gallbladder and spent a small fortune in physical therapy for the frozen shoulder...and guess what? I threw the drugs in the trash and no more frozen shoulder.”

Phyllis · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 8, 2020

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: “My experience with Anastrozole has been beneficial. Following a double mastectomy and removal of the majority of my right arm lymph nodes, significant chemo and radiation, I started Anastrozole in 2013. None of the side effects have been too bad or debilitating, so I am very fortunate and grateful for this drug for the significant benefits. I will have to stop in a couple of years and that makes me nervous! As so many reviews here are about major issues, it's important to know that's not always the case.”

Moni January 6, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “I had stage I lobular breast cancer, with clear lymph nodes. I chose a skin spearing mastectomy and no radiation or chemo. I will complete my five years of anastrozole treatment in two months. I am 67 years old, and I have to say, I did not have all those side effects as I many women in this site have had. I did loose a lot of hair( but Rogaine has helped a lot). I I am tired often but still have a lot of energy once I get up. The medicine has affected my bones, since before I started taking I had osteopenia. Although this medicine is very hard on your bones and joints, I have never thought of stop taking it. Maybe because I never had hot flashes or insomnia I have been able to tolerate it and I personally don't think it's so horrible. I highly recommend to stick with the treatment. Five years go by pretty quick.”

Dani · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 29, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “This causeed side effects in that I had rare kidney infarcts ( shower of blood clots) hit my right kidney. 6 days in the hospital with everything else ruled out. Now on Aromasin. I had symptoms early on a few months after starting Arimidex. Veins in my hands would hurt very bad than turn red/ purple and than ruptured under the skin. I also had a very painful big toe weeks before the blood clots hit. Oncologist and NP ignored my concerns and kept me on the medicine. Needless to say I have a new oncologist. Aromasin still causes the usual hot flashes, joint muscle pain, fatigue and nausea. But better on all of those symptoms than I was with Arimidex. Good luck ladies!”

tiredandcrancky December 28, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “Told anastrozole will help prevent cancer from coming back, ok cool. Instead I have side effects of being tired, crancky, ouchy, tired, oh look and psoriasis! tired, kind of dumber, but a good shot of whiskey does that too. gained weight, bones weak 1 year down, more to go!! cheers!”

Fighter · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 8, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I was diagnosed with Stage IIIc, Grade 3 breast cancer in 2017. I had a lumpectomy and axillary node dissection, 16 rounds of chemo and 30 rounds of radiation and started anastrozole after the chemo. The positives about the drug are: -Small, easy to take -Once a day dosing -relatively inexpensive The primary negatives, as others have said, are body and joint aches. I also have daily fatigue and some mood changes. I’m tempted to stop taking it but don’t because of how advanced my diagnosis was. I’ll continue to hang in there and do what I can to prevent further cancer occurrence.”

Mimi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I started anastrozole eight months ago it wasn’t a very pleasant experience. It elevated my liver enzymes I wasn’t able to go to the bathroom whatever it did to my kidney or bladder? either I went to much I didn’t go at all . I am off of it now eight weeks. Well the pain is gone and my legs and my shoulders everywhere I don’t know what my liver enzymes are I was getting blood work on Monday. I see the doctor in two more days I don’t know what they’re going to do. I don’t want to take any of the inhibitors I guess they’re going to check the liver enzymes if they are still up. I cannot stand the pain that I was in on the anestrozole it was horrible. I don’t know what’s down the road for me I pray that whoever is on this medication that they are able to take it and it helps them”

LENA November 17, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I had 2cm stage 1 breast cancer, a lumpectomy, 4 radiation treatments which caused lymphedema, then started this drug. Within 6 weeks, the pain in my hips & legs woke me up in the middle of the night. I stopped the drug, & after 7 weeks, the side effects went away. My oncologist then put me another AI, & within two days, my entire body hurt & I couldn't eat. I restarted this med in in June 2019. This time the hip & leg pain returned, along with the feeling of extreme mania, severe irritability & poor impulse control. I stopped the drug in late August. It's now November 2019, & I'm still am having pain in my hips & thighs. I'm opting not to take any further meds to prevent the cancer from returning. I'm 67, & refuse to spend the next 5 years feeling like I'm 90. My oncologist wasn't happy, & I fired her. I have a new oncologist, & she understands where I'm coming from & will not force me to take the meds.”

Laura · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2019

For Breast Cancer: “I recently started taking Anastrozole a month ago. I had Invasive Ductile Carconima (Stage 1) and had surgery to remove the tumor in August of this year and then went through 16 treatments of Radiation Therapy. Within 2 weeks of taking Anastrozole I noticed a considerable amount of hair loss (thinning). Besides the thinning of my hair, it also caused dryness and coarse - more brittle hair. I've also experienced a slight more stiffness in my joints although I just turned 55 and I suppose with my age, it can also be contributing more. I hope that the medication works out and I don't have to switch to another medication. My oncologist has asked that I take the medicine for 5 years. Wish me luck!!! I hope others on this site are able to find a solution that works for them.”

Arones47 November 7, 2019

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: “I took it for 5 years and just stopped on October 31st. This drug is TERRIBLE. It destroys your bones, causes hip joint pain so bad that you lose your balance, causes hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, constipation, heart palpitations, spinal pain, loss of bone density which causes OSTEOPENIA which can lead to OSTEOPOROSIS and more. Its disgusting that this is basically the only one you can take other than tamoxifen. Your oncologist SHOULD tell you what the side effects are going to do so that you can somehow prepare for them. Mine prescribed GABAPENTIN for the hot flashes, night sweats and insomnia. Arimidex has to be taken for only 5 years and no more. Hopefully the weakness in my hip joints will ease, the pain in my bones, the constipation, heart palpitations. You will never get back the bone loss. I'm taking high doses of OTC vitamin C & D.”

Stella · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 29, 2019

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: “I’m finally off Arimidex. Every time I mentioned one of the many side effects I was experiencing, my oncologist said it not from the drug. Read the flyer that comes with it. I’m hoping my joints and bones will stop hurting, that I won’t sweat through my insomnia and that my hair will come back. What a miserable 5 years.”

Indygirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 21, 2019

Arimidex (anastrozole) for Breast Cancer: “I have been taking Arimidex for six months. Insomnia is the worse part for me. Some hot flashes and moodiness. Weight gain of ten pounds due to fatigue and pauses in working out. Just recently I up my walking to 80 minutes a day a cut out all sugar. This has helped me with the insomnia. Some joint discomfort, but not bad. Just trying to figure out what is best way to help with side effects.”