User Reviews for Arimidex to treat Breast Cancer

Arimidex Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Arimidex

malia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 16, 2020

“I was diagnosed with breast cancer Stage 1, Grade 1. Lumpectomy and radiation no chemo. I am 7 months into taking Arimidex and joint and muscle pain horrible. I am a very active person with running all my life and hiking. I am sore from head to toe in both the muscles and joints. Also fatigued way more than usual. I just told my oncologist that I was stopping the Arimidex for now. My onc said to stay off the Arimidex for a month. I will then call back and let them know my status. May then put me on another AI.”

Kk · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 19, 2020

“Taken anastrazole for 4 years. Having debilitating joint pain, difficulty walking. Will definitely need to consider stopping this medication. Need quality of life. Don’t let the physicians make you feel like your crazy!”

Arones47 November 7, 2019

“I took it for 5 years and just stopped on October 31st. This drug is TERRIBLE. It destroys your bones, causes hip joint pain so bad that you lose your balance, causes hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, constipation, heart palpitations, spinal pain, loss of bone density which causes OSTEOPENIA which can lead to OSTEOPOROSIS and more. Its disgusting that this is basically the only one you can take other than tamoxifen. Your oncologist SHOULD tell you what the side effects are going to do so that you can somehow prepare for them. Mine prescribed GABAPENTIN for the hot flashes, night sweats and insomnia. Arimidex has to be taken for only 5 years and no more. Hopefully the weakness in my hip joints will ease, the pain in my bones, the constipation, heart palpitations. You will never get back the bone loss. I'm taking high doses of OTC vitamin C & D.”

Stella · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 29, 2019

“I’m finally off Arimidex. Every time I mentioned one of the many side effects I was experiencing, my oncologist said it not from the drug. Read the flyer that comes with it. I’m hoping my joints and bones will stop hurting, that I won’t sweat through my insomnia and that my hair will come back. What a miserable 5 years.”

Indygirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 21, 2019

“I have been taking Arimidex for six months. Insomnia is the worse part for me. Some hot flashes and moodiness. Weight gain of ten pounds due to fatigue and pauses in working out. Just recently I up my walking to 80 minutes a day a cut out all sugar. This has helped me with the insomnia. Some joint discomfort, but not bad. Just trying to figure out what is best way to help with side effects.”

Polly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2019

“I was diagnosed stage 1b Lumpectomy, 4 weeks of radiation then Arimidex. Well the side affects are too much for me. The bone pain was excruciating, it woke me up at night. Fatigue, headache, nausea, foggy brain, I do yoga and walk 3 days a week. I have decided to go a natural path. Do the research for yourself before you make your on decisions. I just want a good quality of life back! I wish you all well.”

JW · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2019

“Have been on Arimidex for 6 months, bone and joint pain and hot flashes have been the worst side effects. Starting Tamoxifen in 2 weeks, praying this one is better ”

Ukey · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 2, 2019

“Finished my 5 years of therapy May 6th & was counting down the last 6 months leading up to that date! I would sweat so bad while on it, very intolerant of heat & now that I am off it I feel pretty warm sometimes but the sweat doesn't drip like it used to, thank goodness! Have been getting a little more sleep since stopping it (was only sleeping at the most, 4 hours at a time, while on the anastrozole), I am noticing much less hair loss in the shower, I don't get the odd, slight queasy feeling in the mornings anymore & my general mood has improved- at least, I think so! ”

D · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

“I took Arimidex for 6 months. I have been off it for almost a month. My hands ache and I have trigger finger in both hands. I have joint pain in both my upper and lower extremeties. I have had weight gain and my blood pressure stays high. My doctor change my prescription to tamoxifen. My side effects from the Arimidex are not going away. I can barely use my hands. My job is very physical and hands on. I am 57. Too young to retire and all my back up skills require my hands. This medication is what will kill me, not the cancer.”

Fin · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 12, 2019

“Had stage 3 HER positive. Been on arimidex for over 5 years. Just stopped taking it, had all the side effects mentioned in early posts. I have been off it for only 8 days, but for the last two days have felt sick & really bad headache's ?? Is this like withdraw symptoms? Has anybody else had this ??”

JoJo April 4, 2019

“I lasted 5 weeks on Armidex for my breast cancer. I stopped taking it because of the side effects. I’ve been off it 5 weeks while I research & decide what to do before discussing with my oncologist. I’m 58 years old & had no significant medical history. I have occasional neck pain a physically active job from which I am retired. This drug caused extreme joint & bone pain. Before surgery I was flipping tires & doing box jumps at the gym. This drug made me feel too bad to go for a walk. Other side effects included all over itching, dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, insomnia, nightmares, nausea. The pharmacist told me the only side effect would be dizziness which I did not have. I didn’t research further. I was so happy the radiation was done & thought taking a pill would me no big deal. I’d experienced hot flashes and night flashes for years so those were not new. When I googled the drug I found many women had the same side effects. The bone density issue is alarming.”

Grammyp · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 14, 2019

“I am 60 and have been on Arimidex going on 4 years now for stage 2 invasive lobular breast cancer. Initially I experienced trigger finger but that went away after a few months. I have also experienced slight weight gain (5 lbs), insomnia & hot flashes regularly. I exercise everyday to keep my bones strong and luckily I have no joint or bone pain. I just noticed recently thinning hair after 4 years on this. My Dr. says they recommend another 5 years after next year so it will be 10 years total. I think for me the worst side effect is the hot flashes but it’s ok! I’m still here! :)”

caramel53 · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 4, 2018

“Diagnosed at with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Stage 1-no lymph nodes involved. Had Lumpectomy, Brachial Therapy Radiation and 5 rounds of chemotherapy. I was ER-Positive, therefore, chemo was recommended because after Oncotype DX done, it showed I had a 16% chance of cancer coming back. I have been on Arimidex going on 7 seven years. Initially, lots of stiffness, but I hired a personal trainer, I weight train, run, and do yoga. Praise GOD, I'm doing very well and no stiffness!! Don't settle for what the drug is doing-work on you and you may be surprised how much better you will feel if you incorporate some exercise into your routine! God Bless!”

Hobber August 10, 2017

“The first year of taking anastrozole, I experienced hair loss, weight gain even though I was having difficulty keeping food down. It wasn't really nausea, it was more like a reaction. Itchy skin, foggy head, aches and pains. During the second year , i found one morning that I could barely walk, severe knee pain, sore legs, sore bones...this is still the case, but I started gradually to start a yoga routine, which helps some days, it doesn't erase the pain, but seems to make it more manageable. It's like a different set of side effects every few months.i will stick with it, as much as I cont want to. The surgery and radiation are two things I never want to deal with again. Good luck to all of you, keep strong!”

Gigglemom · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 19, 2017

“I have been taking Aridimex for 4.5 years, coming up on my 5 year post treatment check up. Side effects for me have been; hot flashes, neuropathy, intense joint pain, insomnia and 30% loss of bone density. I take 2 ibuprofen daily to manage pain and power through. New clinical data indicate staying on longer may reduce risk further. I was so looking forward to getting off this drug, not sure how I feel about that.”

voter · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2017

“I took one pill. ONE. Within 12 hours I began itching from head to toe. In 24 hours I was in the emergency room with a terrible rash all over me. It was so bad and it was raised so high you could almost measure it with a ruler! I didn't want to scratch first. I had to get two shots in my belly, was put on oral prednisone for two weeks (which then calls for a slow wean-off of the drug), a prescription topical medicine and over-the-counter medicines. The rash hung around for almost three weeks. I'm allergic to sulfa and all NSAIDS, but my doctor wasn't sure what is in this drug to cause this reaction. He put me on tamoxifen next, which I took for 7 years but the cancer came back. I am now on letrozole with no problems except joint pain.”

survived February 28, 2017

“I took the Arimidex for five years, three years in I began having serious issues in my hands. Trigger finger in both hands. Two years after stopping the medication, I am still having serious issues with my hands. The side effects are accumulative, and I decided to discontinue taking it.”

deb a · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2017

“I have been on Arimidex since December. I am experiencing locked up hands in the a.m. with pain; weakened grips and discomfort using the computer for my job. Also,at times low back and sciatica pain. I am considering changing medication.”

Gram2000 · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2016

“Diagnosed in June 2016 Stage 2 grade 2 IDC Breast cancer. August 2016 lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy and 30 radiation treatments. Only been on arimidex for 2 weeks. Having severe bone pain in legs and hips. Knees are the worst. Some nausea and loss of appetite. Didn't expect the side effects to start within the first 2 weeks of taking arimidex. Hope the longer I'm on arimidex the side effects will get better.”

Pammi's October 25, 2016

“Lots of hot flashes fatigue and weight gain but the benefit out way the negative of this drug”

Tekteacher · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 24, 2016

“Taking Arimidex for just short of four years. Horrible bone and joint pain. Pain meds leave me unable to function. Insomnia, shortness of breath, chest pains. Thousands of dollars on tests that show nothing. Treated like a nut case. Oncologist finally said stop taking it, but gave me nothing for pain. Trip to ER , prescribed oxycodone which works, but knocks me out and grog continues for two days after taking it! Oncologist says recurrence is 8% without Arimidex, 5% with it. I will not continue this torture for a mere 3%! This is no way to live.”

Unhappy chappy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2016

“I took arimidex for five months after a mastectomy. The first few months I had very little problems apart from a severe farty bottom and abdominal pain. Then it hit me that awful debilitating pain so many people talk about. I couldnt close my hands in the morning and when I got out of bed I could barely walk my legs were so stiff. I tried physio, dry needling, glucosamine, tumeric and various rubs to no avail. I developed huge knotty muscle lumps on my legs and tummy. My oncologist advised me to have a short break and I noticed differences almost straight away. I could actually walk again and after two weeks everything settled. I have just started tamoxifen and I am crossing my fingers that all goes well. I really want the insurance.”

keytalk · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2016

“6. months into taking this drug, I had to stop. Side effects, painful weakness in both hands, hurt to grip, Trigger thumbs- bad when waking up in am. Took med in morning. Dizzy, nausea, headache, heartburn,, discomfort in center of chest.Exhausted mid day, bone pain Lost sex drive. 62 yes old. Since stopping 2 wks ago- hoping hands & sex drive return, other problems have stopped. Feeling more normal , weakness & pain in hands still bad.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more July 24, 2016

“Im on year 12! Large weight gain. Horrid bone pain...especially bottom long bones in legs and right arm. Neuropathy. Weak hands as far as gripping. Getting up and moving after sitting awhile is not fun. Headaches. Walk the floors at night, because being up ON my legs, makes the pain a little better. I was stage 3c, ER+, scared too death to come off it. I'm 45 and want to stick around, but wish I didn't feel so crappy.”

Beatlebear · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 22, 2016

“I have been using Arimidex for approx. 6 months. I have had some side effects, mostly hot flashes, and some insomnia. The hot flashes have gotten better, and the insomnia I just switched the time of day in which I took the medication.”

Learn more about Breast Cancer

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)