User Reviews for Arimidex

Learn more about Arimidex.

Arimidex Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 155 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Arimidex to treat Breast Cancer

"Im on year 12! Large weight gain. Horrid bone pain...especially bottom long bones in legs and right arm. Neuropathy. Weak hands as far as gripping. Getting up and moving after sitting awhile is not fun. Headaches. Walk the floors at night, because being up ON my legs, makes the pain a little better. I was stage 3c, ER+, scared too death to come off it. I'm 45 and want to stick around, but wish I didn't feel so crappy."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2016

"I have been using Arimidex for approx. 6 months. I have had some side effects, mostly hot flashes, and some insomnia. The hot flashes have gotten better, and the insomnia I just switched the time of day in which I took the medication."

Beatlebear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

"I have been taking arimidex for 2 months. Within the first two weeks my osteoarthritis has deteriorated from tolerable to barely able to walk. I can not stand for long periods. My knees get stiff each time I sit. I have received a series if Ortho visc injections and am hoping for a miracle. I must keep working for insurance coverage. I have vision changes, chest and muscle pain,also. I have added fosamax due to the risk of calcium loss since I was diagnosed with osteopenia at the same time as stage 1 breast cancer. I am expertiencing more fatigue with arimidex than after radiation. I am not sure if I can tough this out for five years!"

Nijimon (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016

"Minimal problems. Been on for 1 year now. Joint stiffness in legs and weight gain. Had some trouble early in treatment with trouble sleeping. Gone now."

SKIDWAY March 24, 2016

"I only took Arimidex for 1 month, after having a mastectomy. During that month I experienced severe joint pain, nausea, headaches, shortness of breath, and finally, a severe asthma attack which convinced me that I needed to stop this drug. Almost immediately, all side effects disappeared. Now, eight months after stopping Arimidex, and taking nothing else, I have quite severe Rheumatoid arthritis. I was previously fit and active. I am 70 years old. I would rather take my chances with the cancer returning than take this drug again."

Angry Nana September 20, 2015

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Arimidez for a little over 4 months. Other than a little bit of hot flashes I have had no side effects at all."

Kell Bell September 2, 2015

"fine initially but within 2 weeks, severe ankle pain, insomnia, hot flashes and severe sweating. Thinning hair just after it just all grew back beautifully. Difficult eye prescription, moody, tingling nerve pain in right thigh, tired and now have a hiatal hernia. Lack of interest in sex, which has still not returned :( I just wonder what the long term effects could be. This med was one I loved to hate. But my cancer is gone and it has been 6 years that I am cancer free"

oma bama August 10, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Recurrence of HER2 cancer. Hip and hand problems. Horrible insomnia and memory issued. But does help hold the cancer back."

SusanMorris64 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Taking this after care of breast cancer! Hasn't caused any problems at all and almost done taking it! Evidently it's great in the help of my breast cancer."

Sugarbee333333 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on Arimidex for 10 weeks. Although I had arthritis prior to taking Arimidex, my joint discomfort has increased substantially and now I find that my joints (especially my hands and hips) are swollen and always painful. My fingernails have thinned and continually split and tear off, often below the quick (ouch!). I'm also disheartened to notice that my eyebrows and eyelashes, which had just grown back after my last chemo session, have started to either break or fall out again. Bone and muscle pain are always with me now."

WV lady April 10, 2014

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Arimidex for 5 years and only recently stopped. I had quite a few side effects, however, the joint pain and stiffness was the hardest. I heard about something called Ubiquinol, which is apparently something that is naturally produced in your body, but slows down quite a bit as you age. I've been taking it daily now for a few months and I have to say, the stiffness and joint pain has mostly subsided. I say mostly because I forget to take it some days. I'm trying to get better about taking it daily with a multivitamin. It's kind of expensive but it's way cheaper and better than any of the medicine alternatives I was offered by my doctors. I don't like taking medicine for every little thing. Plus there's a hundred side effects to worry about."

Frenchgirl52 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2014

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took it for 5 yrs. and 2 months. I cannot say if the changes were from chemo or from Arimidex. Changes in taste and smell persist. Frontal headache, blurred vision, cough, calcium loss - osteopenia. Stiff joints, long bone pain, sciatica pain of right leg, fatigue, wicked insomnia, hot flushes & flashes. Neuropathy in hands and feet, specially balls of feet and very sensitive tips of toes. Very dry skin, aged face, hair is very thin and breaking easily. Never got back full eyebrows, very SAD! I loved my eyebrows."

Lealmck (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 26, 2014

"I've been on Arimidex for 4 years. Side effects are insomnia, joint pain, painful sex or no interest in sex, forgetfulness, anxiety and depression. One year to go and hopefully I will not have to take it. Maybe still on it because of a family history of breast cancer."

Jacklink (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2013

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Took tamoxifen 9 months. Extreme bruising. Switched to Arimidex. After 4 weeks, extreme pain in hand. Next severe headaches. Each month brought increased pain in thumbs, hand, feet, long leg bones. Joints hurt, wrists weaken every month. After 10 months became depressed and had insomnia. Finally, had enough and stopped. Within, 2 weeks long bone pain went away. I still have some knee pain, trigger finger, and wrist weakness and its been 3 months. Doctor switching to Aromasin next month."

sissyy June 19, 2013

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking the medication in March 2013 after chemo on the fall of 2012 and then radiation in Jan-Feb of 2013. I am experiencing joint and muscle pain. But as a migraine sufferer, it's a walk in the park. Whatever works to cure this cancer, I'm up for everything and anything."

Roxanne&Philo (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Been taking Arimidex for nearly 6 years now. Side effects for me are joint & bone pain, weird feeling in my chest that wakes me up. Weight gain, hair thinning & occasional hot flushes. I take calcium tabs and alendronic acid for my bones. Apart from that I'm grateful to be alive."

annie K May 30, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had the hot flashes, and the weight gain. Not much of the other side effects so far. Not willing to keep gaining the weight, talked to my oncologist but he says the weight gain is not from the Arimidex. I know better, I have always been very very careful with my weight and going on this medication is the only time I have had the weight gain. I stopped it for 5 weeks and lost, went back on the Arimidex and the weight came back. I work out 5 to 7 days a week so I am very active. "

Oregon 2013 March 20, 2013

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Arimidex for 5 years and I've been cancer free for over 6 years now."

pttyglnd February 1, 2013

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started taking Arimidex in June and have lost 45lbs. Vomiting and diarrhea have left me homebound. I keep starting and stopping this pill. Oncologist thinks I'm crazy, but when I stop the pill the vomiting and diarrhea stop. Just stopped taking it before Christmas and I'm feeling so much better. Have had two lumpectomies and a mastectomy. Don't want the cancer to return, but the side effects are too much for me."

McD333 January 9, 2013

"I've been on Arimidex 4 years and 1 month, prior to which I took Tamoxifen for 5 months. During the first year I developed a frozen shoulder, which my oncologist said could be due to the Armidex, extreme joint stiffness which gradually subsidized and ended after 9-12 months, intense hot flashes which as of this year are lessening, insomnia, vision issues (detached retina - but am also very myopic), pronounced facial aging, dry skin (am 57 years old) and thinning hair. I also experienced depression and mood swings beginning 3 months after the start of Arimidex. I never took medication for it but am finding that it has also gradually lessened over the last 1 1/2 yrs."

Anonymous October 15, 2012

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"7 months in severe hand pain wakes me up at night. Hands weakening grip ibuprofen doesn't help using phone and computer mouse horrible. Just switched to Aromasin."

Anonymous September 25, 2012

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Arimidex for 4 years 4 months. I have had the hot flashes, vision issues, bone density weakening, joint pain and stiffness, depression, mood changes, insomnia, back and bone pain, thinning nails (of already thin nails), weakness in hands and now, my hair in breaking off and drying out. My doctor wants me to hold on to the end of the 5 years. Not sure I can."

Trick NOT Treat (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2012

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Arimidex for 5 years. No pain or problems, and with a vitamin D supplement, I have been feeling great! Didn't have any problems until I started the generic form."

Anonymous July 3, 2012

"I have been on Arimidex for just over a year and have experience basically no side effects. The only issue I have is my left hand and fingers tingle occasionally at night - enough to waken me, however, the doctor thinks it has more to do with Carpel Tunnel Syndrome - which I never had before. I am going to be 70 years old soon, am in excellent health and shape as I work with a personal trainer. Life is Good!"

kennybuck February 2, 2012

"I started taking Arimidex about 4 - 5 months ago as a breast cancer patient. I'm supposed to take it for 5 years. The side-effects I've experienced are: insomnia, hot flashes, headaches, weight gain, joint pain, and severe loss of grip in both hands. My hands are stiff in the morning and evening, it's just crazy. Well, even throughout the day. I asked my oncologist about this and he said it was arthritis, which I do NOT believe. The onset was too quick. It was about 6 weeks after I started taking the Arimidex then the hand stiffness showed up. "

Anonymous January 31, 2012

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate