User Reviews for Amiodarone

Ventricular Fibrillation
5.3

Summary of Amiodarone reviews 6.0 52 reviews

Reviews for Amiodarone

For Arrhythmia: "I have Parkinson's Disease. I was put on Amiodarone after developing atrial fibrillation after mitral valve repair surgery. It controlled the afib but exacerbated all Parkinson's symptoms. By the end of a month, I was so fatigued and lethargic that all I wanted to do was sit in front of a television set drooling. My cognitive processes slowed down, my motor coordination slowed down. I finally decided that I'd try without this drug. There was immediate reversion to pre-amiodarone levels of motor issues although it took about 6 months to reach full recovery. I had never had tremors prior to amiodarone, developed a slight tremor in one hand while one it. This has never cleared up but it hasn't worsened thankfully. If you have Parkinson's - beware. This may return your heartbeat to normal, but the side effects are not worth the benefit."

Rindy September 13, 2018

For Arrhythmia: "I had persistent AFIB. If I went into AFIB I didn't drop back into rhythm until I was cardioverted. Once cardioverted -- I was OK for 5 years, then AFIB, cardioversion, OK for 3, then AFIB--ok for 1 year, repeat--- then OK for 6 months --- then the Doctor tried cardioversion 3 times while I was out and could not get me back into sinus rhythm. I stayed in A-fib for 1 year--- then started medication under another heart doctor. At the end of the following year Dr #2 successfully did cardioversion. 4 years without AFIB and I take one 200mg dose of Amiodarone daily but doctor also does blood tests and lung x-rays every 6 months! I feel great. My friend underwent heart ablation to avoid amiodarone and it was NOT successful and he will have to experience a second ablation and he's already got problems from the first surgery --- along with still having AFIB. I'll stick with my Amiodarone! I have been on it for 5 years now."

john (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2018

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "Was put on Amiodarone while in hospital then given 800mg to take when I got home was breathless when I left the hospital could not get my breath that night, 0 blood pressure rushed back to hospital next day lucky to still be here. Now all my records show allergic to Amiodarone. Was on Levothyroxine should never have been put on Amiodarone as it is full of Iodine. See Amiodarone Thyroid toxicity."

Maxy (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

For Arrhythmia: "This drug killed my daddy. He started taking it in 2008 to help his arrhythmia and it didn't help much. He kept taking it because he trusted his doctor. Six years later he drowned to death on his own saliva. Cause of death: idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis due to amiodorone."

3rd daughter (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 22, 2018

For Arrhythmia: "In 2018 in AZ my AFIB acted up. I went a Cardiologist. He prescribed Amiodarone, 800 mg. 400mg AM&400mg PM. It helped & I went back to him, he told me to continue this dose. I saw him saw him a total of 3x's. At the end of my stay I felt worse. Swollen ankles, shortness of breath, no energy. I called Dr. left message & no reply. With added issues (dizziness, blurry eyes, back pain, cough) I had an appt at home w/my Cardio. He questioned me regarding Amio. When I said my Rx was 800 mg daily he was shocked saying I should have been on that dose for 10 days. He cut the dose in half. My primary ordered many tests. Angiogram, bld tests, Up GI/Colonoscopy, 4 Cat Scans, X-rays... My liver & kidney tests were high. He lowered my dosage until tests proved Amio toxicity in my liver. I've been off for a little over a month and I still have many side affects as stated above. I am only 66yrs & would NOT recommend this to anyone. It's a killer in disguise."

Molly1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Ventricular Fibrillation: " Amiodarone is very good at preventing a heart attack. It keeps my heart beating normally .."

Rafy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2018

For Arrhythmia: "Have an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) and have been taking 100mg a day of amiodarone together with other drugs for 4 years. Don’t appear to have any symptoms that could be put down to this drug. Stops distressing shocks . I’m 90 ! Have blood test every 6months to check all is well."

Pat (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2018

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "Whilst helping the heart condition, I experience substantial debilitating side effects with this medication:- Severe Fatique Wheezing Red/itchy eyes Renal failure Painful scrotum Difficulty walking Swollen hands after sunlight Back pain Several of other not so debilitating symptoms"

Scrappy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 16, 2018

For Arrhythmia: "Had ablation at end of 2015, which did not work well for me. Was prescribed Sotalol for few months, which did not control afib. Then put on Amiodarone. After almost a year still having afib, it finally started to work. Found out it was doing bad things to liver, and also acquired Gastroparesis. Felt that was result of Amiodarone plus my depression. Since this med has a long half life, I was enjoying not having afib for almost a year, while also learning how to deal with the gastro diagnosis. I still continued Metoprolol Tartrate with Eliquis during this time. My afib returned Dec. of 2017. For now I am continuing Met and Eliquis since I have afib about every 8-14 days. If start having more often, will add another antiarrhythmic. The gastroparesis is well controlled."

Female 68 yrs. old (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2018

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "Has really helped me for the last 5 Months ."

Uncle Clyde November 25, 2017

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "I had two ventricular tachycardia experiences my ICU corrected both. I was given amiodarone intravenously in the hospital. Then 400 mg orally when I was released. I experienced, rashes, uneasiness, trouble walking, insomnia, real bad. Nervous all the time. This stuff is strong and should be used cautiously. Serious medicine. It wasn’t good for me. I am off it now. I understand it takes months to get this stuff out of your system due to its extremely long half life! Good grief!"

Remanman October 3, 2017

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "Dizzy, insomnia, nervous, anxious, upset stomach, wobbly, difficulty walking."

Remanman September 26, 2017

For Arrhythmia: "Was in the hospital for AFib with RVR which came on about 3 days before an ablation procedure that had been scheduled for the AFib. After two days of trying other drugs to keep my rate down and them working but barely the cardiac ICU decided to try this drug to break me out of the rhythm. Apparently I'm allergic to it because within minutes of starting an IV drip of it I started getting flush and getting that same feeling as when you have the contrast dye for a CT. Of course we immediately shut it off and there seems to be no lasting problems since I had so little of it. Definitely can't recommend this drug unless it's an absolute last resort based on my experiences with it and everything I've read after the fact about the side effects"

flyinion (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "My 73 year old mother was prescribed this drug after bypass surgery. She went through the surgery fine and came home but she eventually succumbed to the side effects of this drug. Her kidneys, liver and lungs shut down. She was unable to overcome the side effects of the drug. I should note that she never smoked or drank alcohol. "

Kim2025 April 16, 2017

For Arrhythmia: "I had Mitral valve repair-open heart surgery in 2010. I was on AMIODARONE for about 2 yrs for Atrial Fibrillation. I am now off of it as suggested by heart surgeon, including several other prescription drugs for 20 months , who sent letter to cardiologist, side effects are still with me. As listed on label, Hyperthyroidism, Insomnia, vision problems- RVO retinal vein occlusion, stroke in left eye, lost central vision in left eye."

Nic 2 December 8, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "This drug Killed my Father. He was put on it for his AFIB and 1 month & 1 week later he died. He was admitted to the Hospital and never got out. His condition worsened over the hospital stay. His lungs were toxic, kidney failure and put on a machine to breathe. Eventually his body couldn't take it any longer."

Dallas, TX (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "My ef iprove from 29 to 40 no more no more fibleration and the cva will not return"

WORKS WELL (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "This drug killed my mom. She was recuperating from heart surgery and developed afib, which I understand is not unusual. Rather, than prescribing a safer drug, her cardiologist prescribed Amiodarone - the drug of last resort. We did not even know that he had prescribed this drug until she was showing certain side effects such as coughing, weakness, swelling, inability to sleep, etc. Only after I said that maybe there is a conflict in the drugs she was given did another cardiologist take my mom off of Amiodarone. But it was too late - the damage was done. She went into the hospital on October 21st and never came out, dying - no, suffocating to death from lung toxicity on December 19th. Amiodarone and the cardiologist's neglect killed my"

SLAVKA (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2016

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "Began Nexterone (amiodarone) IV in the hospital. I was taken off of it, but went into afib again, so they reinstated it. Then they started me on it orally, again went into afib so they put me back on the IV. Was discharged (after 4 weeks in the hospital intensive care ward for tachycardia/afib; sepsis; pneumonia; pancreatitis, MRSA, and then renal failure most likely as a result of all the antibiotics/meds for every thing else). Taking 200 mgs per day and heart rate has been stable for the three weeks I've been out of the hospital (and on dialysis 3 days per week). The potential side effects (lung scarring, liver and thyroid issues, and eyesight issues-which I think I am already developing) are extremely scary. Would like to DC ."

I'm not Tachy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

Cordarone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "This medication killed my father. He took it for 3 weeks having been prescribed this for his first episode of atrial fibrillation. The autopsy results were a definitive cause of death due to lung and liver toxicity caused by the cordarone. Do not take this medicine. It will kill you."

Sparrini August 28, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "I had a fib and was on Ameoderone for two years. I almost died. I was on 14 liters of oxygen in icu. My doctor ( cardiologist ) never had me xrayed nor did not bother to send me to a pulmonary Doctor. Please if you are on ameoderone, please make sure your cardiologist does a base exray and every 6 months after."

ann0 July 31, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "My father died as a result of taking this drug. He was not warned of the possible pulmonary toxicity that killed him. When his symptoms became apparent, I took him to the doctor. They prescribed antibiotics thinking he had a bad cold. Finally, he landed in the emergency room and they treated him for pneumonia. It took almost 2 days for them to identify the cause...amiodarone. After 62 days in ICU he passed...it was a horrible death. I started a website and a Facebook group to help others navigate these waters. It's amazing to me how many people have experienced and are experiencing the same terrible outcome. Avoid this drug unless you are taking it as a last resort!"

ZoeyG (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "Back in Feburary I reported that I had been on the drug Amiodarone for 2 weeks. The drug worked well for getting the heart back into Sinus Rhythm, but it has come at a horrible price! I now have "pulmonary toxicity" due to this drug and am having recurring bouts of pneumonia. If I had known then what I know now, I would have asked the doctor for something else. When you have toxicity, they can see "ground glass" in your lungs. The pain is horrible sometimes and I find myself not wanting to breathe deeply. I was working out 6 days a week and the doctors have me doing almost nothing right now. I am on steroids but we don't know the long term effects for me. Please educate yourself before agreeing to take this drug!"

RestAssured (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "Tiredness/ fatigue Confused/forgetful Dry/ burning eyes Ringing in my ears Skin feels like it is crawling. My hands and forearms feel like they are burning, like all the nerve endings are on fire, to a lesser degree this is also affecting my feet. I can't bare anyone touching me, even the slightest touch is painful. Clothes are irritating me. Can't sleep/disturbed sleep Swollen ankles My vision seams more blurred, I have to take my glasses off to read now. I can't go outside without getting horribly sunburned in a matter of minutes. I am having to wear factor 50+ inside the house and still getting sunburned inside. I feel like a prisoner, unable to go about daily tasks and share time with my family. I feel dizzy, and a little wobbly"

will I be well again? March 15, 2016

For Arrhythmia: "This drug is finally allowing me to live life again. After 3 ablations, 2 Cardioversions, and numerous anti-arrymithic drugs, I am able to exercise without gasping for breath. My Electrophysiologist put me on the drug saying only 5 months: I take 200mg 2 times a day for the first month, and then it will be 1 a day for four months. The last ablation was quite extensive, so the heart needs help for 5 months. He explained that this drug has so many potential side effects, but after 2 weeks the only problem I have is constipation. I can deal w that!"

RestAssured February 9, 2016