User Reviews for Amiodarone

Also known as: Cordarone, Cordarone IV, Nexterone, Pacerone

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Amiodarone.

Ventricular Tachycardia

Arrhythmia
5.7

Ventricular Fibrillation
5.3

Summary of Amiodarone reviews 6.3 42 reviews

Reviews for Amiodarone

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "I had two ventricular tachycardia experiences my ICU corrected both. I was given amiodarone intravenously in the hospital. Then 400 mg orally when I was released. I experienced, rashes, uneasiness, trouble walking, insomnia, real bad. Nervous all the time. This stuff is strong and should be used cautiously. Serious medicine. It wasn’t good for me. I am off it now. I understand it takes months to get this stuff out of your system due to its extremely long half life! Good grief!"

Remanman October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "Dizzy, insomnia, nervous, anxious, upset stomach, wobbly, difficulty walking."

Remanman September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "Was in the hospital for AFib with RVR which came on about 3 days before an ablation procedure that had been scheduled for the AFib. After two days of trying other drugs to keep my rate down and them working but barely the cardiac ICU decided to try this drug to break me out of the rhythm. Apparently I'm allergic to it because within minutes of starting an IV drip of it I started getting flush and getting that same feeling as when you have the contrast dye for a CT. Of course we immediately shut it off and there seems to be no lasting problems since I had so little of it. Definitely can't recommend this drug unless it's an absolute last resort based on my experiences with it and everything I've read after the fact about the side effects"

flyinion (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "My 73 year old mother was prescribed this drug after bypass surgery. She went through the surgery fine and came home but she eventually succumbed to the side effects of this drug. Her kidneys, liver and lungs shut down. She was unable to overcome the side effects of the drug. I should note that she never smoked or drank alcohol. "

Kim2025 April 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "I had Mitral valve repair-open heart surgery in 2010. I was on AMIODARONE for about 2 yrs for Atrial Fibrillation. I am now off of it as suggested by heart surgeon, including several other prescription drugs for 20 months , who sent letter to cardiologist, side effects are still with me. As listed on label, Hyperthyroidism, Insomnia, vision problems- RVO retinal vein occlusion, stroke in left eye, lost central vision in left eye."

Nic 2 December 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "This drug Killed my Father. He was put on it for his AFIB and 1 month & 1 week later he died. He was admitted to the Hospital and never got out. His condition worsened over the hospital stay. His lungs were toxic, kidney failure and put on a machine to breathe. Eventually his body couldn't take it any longer."

Dallas, TX (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "My ef iprove from 29 to 40 no more no more fibleration and the cva will not return"

WORKS WELL (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "This drug killed my mom. She was recuperating from heart surgery and developed afib, which I understand is not unusual. Rather, than prescribing a safer drug, her cardiologist prescribed Amiodarone - the drug of last resort. We did not even know that he had prescribed this drug until she was showing certain side effects such as coughing, weakness, swelling, inability to sleep, etc. Only after I said that maybe there is a conflict in the drugs she was given did another cardiologist take my mom off of Amiodarone. But it was too late - the damage was done. She went into the hospital on October 21st and never came out, dying - no, suffocating to death from lung toxicity on December 19th. Amiodarone and the cardiologist's neglect killed my"

SLAVKA (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "Began Nexterone (amiodarone) IV in the hospital. I was taken off of it, but went into afib again, so they reinstated it. Then they started me on it orally, again went into afib so they put me back on the IV. Was discharged (after 4 weeks in the hospital intensive care ward for tachycardia/afib; sepsis; pneumonia; pancreatitis, MRSA, and then renal failure most likely as a result of all the antibiotics/meds for every thing else). Taking 200 mgs per day and heart rate has been stable for the three weeks I've been out of the hospital (and on dialysis 3 days per week). The potential side effects (lung scarring, liver and thyroid issues, and eyesight issues-which I think I am already developing) are extremely scary. Would like to DC ."

I'm not Tachy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cordarone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "This medication killed my father. He took it for 3 weeks having been prescribed this for his first episode of atrial fibrillation. The autopsy results were a definitive cause of death due to lung and liver toxicity caused by the cordarone. Do not take this medicine. It will kill you."

Sparrini August 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "I had a fib and was on Ameoderone for two years. I almost died. I was on 14 liters of oxygen in icu. My doctor ( cardiologist ) never had me xrayed nor did not bother to send me to a pulmonary Doctor. Please if you are on ameoderone, please make sure your cardiologist does a base exray and every 6 months after."

ann0 July 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "My father died as a result of taking this drug. He was not warned of the possible pulmonary toxicity that killed him. When his symptoms became apparent, I took him to the doctor. They prescribed antibiotics thinking he had a bad cold. Finally, he landed in the emergency room and they treated him for pneumonia. It took almost 2 days for them to identify the cause...amiodarone. After 62 days in ICU he passed...it was a horrible death. I started a website and a Facebook group to help others navigate these waters. It's amazing to me how many people have experienced and are experiencing the same terrible outcome. Avoid this drug unless you are taking it as a last resort!"

ZoeyG (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "Back in Feburary I reported that I had been on the drug Amiodarone for 2 weeks. The drug worked well for getting the heart back into Sinus Rhythm, but it has come at a horrible price! I now have "pulmonary toxicity" due to this drug and am having recurring bouts of pneumonia. If I had known then what I know now, I would have asked the doctor for something else. When you have toxicity, they can see "ground glass" in your lungs. The pain is horrible sometimes and I find myself not wanting to breathe deeply. I was working out 6 days a week and the doctors have me doing almost nothing right now. I am on steroids but we don't know the long term effects for me. Please educate yourself before agreeing to take this drug!"

RestAssured (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "Tiredness/ fatigue Confused/forgetful Dry/ burning eyes Ringing in my ears Skin feels like it is crawling. My hands and forearms feel like they are burning, like all the nerve endings are on fire, to a lesser degree this is also affecting my feet. I can't bare anyone touching me, even the slightest touch is painful. Clothes are irritating me. Can't sleep/disturbed sleep Swollen ankles My vision seams more blurred, I have to take my glasses off to read now. I can't go outside without getting horribly sunburned in a matter of minutes. I am having to wear factor 50+ inside the house and still getting sunburned inside. I feel like a prisoner, unable to go about daily tasks and share time with my family. I feel dizzy, and a little wobbly"

will I be well again? March 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "This drug is finally allowing me to live life again. After 3 ablations, 2 Cardioversions, and numerous anti-arrymithic drugs, I am able to exercise without gasping for breath. My Electrophysiologist put me on the drug saying only 5 months: I take 200mg 2 times a day for the first month, and then it will be 1 a day for four months. The last ablation was quite extensive, so the heart needs help for 5 months. He explained that this drug has so many potential side effects, but after 2 weeks the only problem I have is constipation. I can deal w that!"

RestAssured February 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "This drug needs to be removed from the market. After being on it for 16 months, I developed boop..it attacked my lungs and set up what is called by my Doctor Chemical pneumonia. I've been treated with steroids off and on for 1 and half years...each time I am taken off boop returns. A critical care Pulmonary Doctor says I have to come off steriods and I wants to. Put me on a drug that has a side effect of causing three types of cancer. This med can stay in your blood at a therapeutic level for 6 months...and could take up to three years to get it out of your blood. My lungs are so bad I asked about a lung transplant, blood transfusion. Guess what...not an option, the medicine is in every tissue of my body.. As long as the drug is in my system, boop.!!"

was on amiodarone for about 16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation back in April. I was put on this medication as a way of helping my heart return to its regular beat. I had my heart shocked about a month ago & because I hadn't been on the medication long enough the procedure was a failure."

Nick Burke (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cordarone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "I take 200mg od and after the 2nd dose i started feeling chest congestion, dry cough, pain in the diaphragm, loss of appetite and nausea"

jentrix September 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "Been on this medication for over 5ys no side affects. Medication has worked so good dosage was reduced."

mike Milwaukee Wi, (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cordarone (amiodarone) for Arrhythmia: "general weakness/ tired muscles/ constipation/lapsus/ and sets the beats straight.. age 62..weight 75 kg..height 5' 11.. took the 200 gms tablet for 3 months."

Danthedon (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "I have been taking this for only 1 week and my side effects are hard to deal with. I am very tired and my pulse dips to the 40s. I am taking 400mg 2 times a day so hopefully at my follow up the Dr will reduce it.My chest hurts on and off but that could be due to 3 cardio-versions in 6 weeks time. I have had A-fib episodes for the last 5 years so this is my last medicine to try. So far it is working. I feel the familiar flutters and then...nothing. I am glad it is keeping my rhythm intact."

bug lady (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "Taking for 2 months prior to ablation, and 1 month after. It seems really strong at first, kinda makes you dizzy, but i got used to it within a few days. I can't say I've had any problems with it at all, other then being in the sun/heat seems to make me very tired very quickly. Keeps my rhythm good. I wanted to say, not being sick or dealing with pain or excessive stress is a MASSIVE part of staying in rhythm. The heart will react to anything wrong or unusual with the body. Even a cold/flu or even allergy symptoms."

HamSamick June 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "Was on amiodrone two months prescribe to me by doctor in Baja Mexico. Loss of weight, anxiety. Back in US to discover it had sent my thyroid skyrocket, loss of weight and general poor quality of life. Now thyroid has to be retested in four weeks and recommended to see neurologist due to possible Parkinson's. They should ban the drug."

bajamary (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Arrhythmia: "Excellent for arrhythmia. Lot's and lots of negative side effects. Nothing else available for my particular problem."

JET4 January 30, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ventricular Fibrillation: "After taking medicine for a year after ablation started getting severe constipation and low thyroid. Dr. then took me off of it. No more constipation! Just feeling tired now and need to get thyroid checked again. Also heart has stayed in rhythm thus far about 4 weeks."

Captain Mary August 22, 2014