User Reviews for Adenosine to treat Supraventricular Tachycardia

Also known as: Adenocard, Adeno-jec

Adenosine Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Supraventricular Tachycardia.

Reviews for Adenosine

Princess · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2020

“Started having my heart beat to around 135 bpm for a couple of hours. Decided to go to ER I was hoping they would stop on their own ride relaxing techniques etc. Basically it took approximately 4-5 hours to get it back to normal beats. I got ALL 3 doses of adenosine and none worked! It was somewhat agonizing to say the least but luckily they warned me I would feel bad and it wouldn’t last long. Their ER protocol was I had to have 3 doses before they could give me the cardizem flush which they didn’t want to use if they didn’t need to due to it being harsh on me but it did the trick and I could feel my heart beats start to go down right away. I was admitted for the night and had nuclear heart test etc and was diagnosed supposedly born with this condition and I’m just now finding out at age 53!”

izzy May 10, 2020

“When I was 15 I was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia. It just so happened I was at school when I had my first episode with a rate of 280 bpm! the EMTs said it was the highest they'd ever seen and I was administered adenosine on the scene. It felt like everything in my body stopped. I felt my heart go from beating too fast to count to absolutely nothing in my chest. It was indescribable and it didn't hurt. It was in a way surprisingly peaceful which made me feel better about the thought of dying. I couldn't breathe until a few seconds later when I felt my heartbeat. And even though I was conscious it was almost like I wasn't there. Frankly the only way I can describe it was that the only thing left in my body for that amount of time was my soul, no life, just me. It was truly fascinating even though it was not a pleasant experience.”

Herbs February 28, 2020

“Had IV adenosine for SVT unresponsive to usual self care-cold water/valsalva. 3-4 second sensation as if winded. SVT normalised. Minor irritant for successful therapy.”

heartgal January 22, 2020

“I experienced SVT's from the age of 18 until 45 when I had a successful cardiac ablation. On two separate occasions, I required adenosine because of 200 bpm that I could not self reset. The first time I needed the 2nd 6 mg dosage (with the nurse standing by with the paddles). The second time it was handled with one dose. I did not experience the pain, stress, heat symptoms that others have indicated. I remember a sense of calm and relief because my heart was no longer racing. I believe I flat-lined because there was absolutely no sound in my body and my breath was held for a moment but I was aware of what was going on around me. Suspended animation. Very interesting and unique experience. It has made me feel better about what death will feel like. I also had no negative side effects in fact, on the second occasion I was at a festival concert and left the ER to go back. Maybe my experience is different because I had lived with SVTs for so long that it became normal to me.”

12HourEpisodes · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

“The first 6mg adenosine dose isn't fun. The second, doubled-dose is almost unbearable. A wave of heat flows from head to toe, immediately followed by a crushing feeling in your head, neck, chest, and back which continues along with the heat flash for about 10 seconds. It's awful, and it is scary to know that, on rare occasions, physicians have been unable to get a patient's heart to start beating again after administering this drug to them.”

Stumpy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2019

“I had SVT for over 40 yrs & was able to get back into sinus rhythm using the self taught vagal techniques.A couple of years ago they became more stubborn & ended up in A&E frequently, I was given Adenosine on 10 occasions & it was a love hate relationship, eyeballs felt they were going to burst, my whole body seemed to cramp up & a feeling of falling backwards down a mine shaft lasted a few seconds before the heart flatlined & dropped from 180bpm to 90bpm then slowly returned to sinus rhythm while waiting four hours for blood work results. Ended up having an ablation & now 12 months on having a pace maker fitted to control Bradycardia”

DNW · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2019

“First IV 6mg dose of adenosine failed . (rapid flush) But responded well to 12mg dose. ETU patient of Sri Lankan hospital Probable reason for SVT . Prolong intake of unknown drug ( indigenous medicine)”

James June 17, 2019

“I've had SVT since I was 5 years old, but my whole life up until last year the doctors said it was asthma. Than it was migraines. Then last year we caught it I was at soccer training when it happened. My Mum thought I was lying as training just started. I went to a hospital and they took tested me until they realised they couldn't treat it. I was rushed to the hospital and after a while they gave me adenosine. The doctors held my hand as I felt the sudden shock in my chest I felt my eyes widen and chest raise in pain.”

Chi2012 · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2019

“I get many SVT episodes but this time it was bad! I was given a heart monitor to document these episodes just in case they stop by the time I get to a hospital or doctors office. I was totally relaxed and my heart went insane! It reached 255 bpm. At that point I was almost passed out. The paramedics gave me one dose of adenosine but it didn't work. The second dose did work. The pain I felt was unbearable. Like I stated before, I was already on the verge of passing out but the adenosine brought me back! The pain felt like every vein and artery in my body was completely vacuumed out. I felt like everything in me was getting sucked out and I was being flattened out! So painful but doesn't last very long and you live to tell the tale!.”

Dj August 26, 2018

“I was in the ER for Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) which I didn’t know I had at the time. It had been going on for hours and I decided to go in when I couldn’t sleep. As soon as I got in they took me to the children’s room but decided to take me to the adult section since my rate wasn’t reading. They immediately knew what to do and told me they had to work fast. It was scary because the nurse said if the other nurse didn’t do it fast enough I could DIE. They gave it to me and it was the weirdest feeling. It felt like someone was squeezing my heart, an elephant was on my chest and it was cramping all at the same time. My heart immediately went back to normal it was amazing. It did hurt but it was more uncomfortable and scary it thankfully only lasted for about 5 seconds.”

Kidkash · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2017

“I was given this drug one evening when already in hospital for an unrelated infection. I'd felt palpitations for a while but when they did my routine obs my heart rate couldn't be read. They called in a cardiac team who swiftly entered my room with all sorts of machines, they hooked me up to a more sophisticated heart monitor and my pulse was 236bpm, the doctors couldn't understand why I was so calm (I was just used to them so just assumed as it usually went away that it would do the same this time) I was warned that the drug could make you feel "an impending sense of doom". I had to have 2 doses and to be honest I didn't have any adverse reaction, the 2nd dose got my bpm back to normal straight away!”

RCaliente · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2017

“I had undiagnosed supra ventricular tachycardia for a couple years. Episodes lasted a minute or so and would pass after holding my breath and bearing down. In August 2015, I was at a clinic on a hospital campus when the SVT started. It didn't stop and continued to go faster. The doctor had them call the paramedics and the EKG showed my heart rate was 220. On the way to the ER, I got an IV and adenosine, as my heart rate was still increasing. It was the weirdest, scariest feeling, like the intense pressure of being on a roller coaster heading downhill, and breaking really hard. It passed in seconds, my heart rate was down to 130, then was a more normal 80 when they released me 4 hours later. I didn't enjoy it, but it helped me immensely.”

Tanms November 27, 2016

“I have had this given through IV 2x and each time it cause my heart rate to go up to 200 and up, it never lowered it. Yes I had the crazy heavy feeling (like an elephant is on my chest) couldn't breath and was hot and dizzy not good! I will not allow doctors to inject this while having an episode I get another medication that works for me. Unfortunately adenosine doesn't!”

Cpayne9 August 30, 2016

“Could not control my heart rate naturally after going into SVT of 200 bpm. Tried bearing down, breathing techniques, but nothing worked. Had my wofe drive me into the ER where they prepped me for an IV and then gave me Adenosine. First time ever I had taken it for my SVT in the 36 years I have had it. It dropped my heart rate instantly to 130 then down to 90. I was amazed and relieved. I still prefer controling it myself but it is good to know there is something out there that works to control it when all other ways fail. I had no burning experience like others did. I do have a cottony feeling head and extreme tiredness 2 days after but that seems to come with a 1-2 hour 200bpm episode.”

marylyndj · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2015

“This drug was given to me when I was totally unaware of what was going on. I was transported 60 miles to nearest heart center. Given to me a second time in 12 hours. I was aware and let me tell you it was painful in my chest and then I got an intense headache. The doctor tried to get me to take the drug a third time about 24 hours later, and I said no! I ended up putting my head into a bucket of ice water to get my heart rate back down to normal. There are ways to do things with out chemicals! over and over again!”

Anonymous September 7, 2011

“Heart ramped up to 200 bpm. Received two doses of adenosine in ambulance as first dose didn't work. EMT's warned me it would cause some pretty unpleasant feelings. Intense burning and pressure occurred instantaneously, from my head to my toes. It was pretty horrific, but short lived. I even manged to joke how excited I was to receive a second dose and experience it again. Heart rate was in upper 90's by time I was settled in emergency room at the hospital.”

Anonymous August 31, 2010

“Heart rate was 240 I arrived at the ER within 5 minutes because I live 2 blocks from the hospital and yes I know but I drove myself. Second dose of adenosine lowered heart rate to 110 then it returned to normal within 2 hours. Didn't like the effects as it was given but I feel it saved my life. Felt burning from head to toe, head pressure and felt like a wave like panic attacks.”

Learn more about Supraventricular Tachycardia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)