User Reviews for Adenosine

Also known as: Adenocard, Adeno-jec

Adenosine has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 25 ratings on Drugs.com. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Supraventricular Tachycardia
8.1
Radionuclide Myocardial Perfusion Study
Atrial Tachycardia  Off-label
Summary of Adenosine reviews 7.2 25 reviews

Reviews for Adenosine

izzy May 10, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “When I was 15 I was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia. It just so happened I was at school when I had my first episode with a rate of 280 bpm! the EMTs said it was the highest they'd ever seen and I was administered adenosine on the scene. It felt like everything in my body stopped. I felt my heart go from beating too fast to count to absolutely nothing in my chest. It was indescribable and it didn't hurt. It was in a way surprisingly peaceful which made me feel better about the thought of dying. I couldn't breathe until a few seconds later when I felt my heartbeat. And even though I was conscious it was almost like I wasn't there. Frankly the only way I can describe it was that the only thing left in my body for that amount of time was my soul, no life, just me. It was truly fascinating even though it was not a pleasant experience.”

Princess · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Started having my heart beat to around 135 bpm for a couple of hours. Decided to go to ER I was hoping they would stop on their own ride relaxing techniques etc. Basically it took approximately 4-5 hours to get it back to normal beats. I got ALL 3 doses of adenosine and none worked! It was somewhat agonizing to say the least but luckily they warned me I would feel bad and it wouldn’t last long. Their ER protocol was I had to have 3 doses before they could give me the cardizem flush which they didn’t want to use if they didn’t need to due to it being harsh on me but it did the trick and I could feel my heart beats start to go down right away. I was admitted for the night and had nuclear heart test etc and was diagnosed supposedly born with this condition and I’m just now finding out at age 53!”

Kes · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2021

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I received adenosine IV at an emergency hospital to convert an SVT episode that lasted over an hour. I am glad the nurse warned me of it’s potential effects, because I had the less-common and very uncomfortable side effect of “a feeling of impending doom”. Essentially, an overwhelming feeling that I was dying. I wasn’t, and fortunately, that passes very quickly. I felt a rushing in my ears and a feeling like I was sinking, and the absolute certainty in my brain that I was dying. It resolved the SVT from 180bpm to 110 bpm, and eventually back to 80 bpm. I am glad that the medication worked as intended, but if I can avoid it at any cost in the future, I never want to have to take it again. It was terrifying and after that incident I became much more anxious about my SVT episodes than I had been in the years before that ER trip. It feels hard to say because the medicine did work as intended and the side effect doesn’t happen for everyone, but it was pretty traumatic.”

Chi2012 · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2019

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I get many SVT episodes but this time it was bad! I was given a heart monitor to document these episodes just in case they stop by the time I get to a hospital or doctors office. I was totally relaxed and my heart went insane! It reached 255 bpm. At that point I was almost passed out. The paramedics gave me one dose of adenosine but it didn't work. The second dose did work. The pain I felt was unbearable. Like I stated before, I was already on the verge of passing out but the adenosine brought me back! The pain felt like every vein and artery in my body was completely vacuumed out. I felt like everything in me was getting sucked out and I was being flattened out! So painful but doesn't last very long and you live to tell the tale!.”

heartgal January 22, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I experienced SVT's from the age of 18 until 45 when I had a successful cardiac ablation. On two separate occasions, I required adenosine because of 200 bpm that I could not self reset. The first time I needed the 2nd 6 mg dosage (with the nurse standing by with the paddles). The second time it was handled with one dose. I did not experience the pain, stress, heat symptoms that others have indicated. I remember a sense of calm and relief because my heart was no longer racing. I believe I flat-lined because there was absolutely no sound in my body and my breath was held for a moment but I was aware of what was going on around me. Suspended animation. Very interesting and unique experience. It has made me feel better about what death will feel like. I also had no negative side effects in fact, on the second occasion I was at a festival concert and left the ER to go back. Maybe my experience is different because I had lived with SVTs for so long that it became normal to me.”

Tanms November 27, 2016

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I have had this given through IV 2x and each time it cause my heart rate to go up to 200 and up, it never lowered it. Yes I had the crazy heavy feeling (like an elephant is on my chest) couldn't breath and was hot and dizzy not good! I will not allow doctors to inject this while having an episode I get another medication that works for me. Unfortunately adenosine doesn't!”

Anonymous August 31, 2010

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Heart rate was 240 I arrived at the ER within 5 minutes because I live 2 blocks from the hospital and yes I know but I drove myself. Second dose of adenosine lowered heart rate to 110 then it returned to normal within 2 hours. Didn't like the effects as it was given but I feel it saved my life. Felt burning from head to toe, head pressure and felt like a wave like panic attacks.”

ellebeth May 22, 2021

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I had no concept or expectation of what would happen when I went to the ER. My heart rate was super elevated but I had no pain, shortness of breath, etc. It was SVT and they gave me 6mg then 12mg of adenosine and some beta blocker. I felt the adenosine immediately each time. It was uncomfortable but not painful. Specifically remember that I felt it in the back of my neck. It was like a muscle cramp and flushing or heatwave. Thankful that it worked quick and well!”

Anonymous September 7, 2011

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Heart ramped up to 200 bpm. Received two doses of adenosine in ambulance as first dose didn't work. EMT's warned me it would cause some pretty unpleasant feelings. Intense burning and pressure occurred instantaneously, from my head to my toes. It was pretty horrific, but short lived. I even manged to joke how excited I was to receive a second dose and experience it again. Heart rate was in upper 90's by time I was settled in emergency room at the hospital.”

Anonymous January 19, 2011

“I have had to use this medication several times due to rapid heartrate. The highest my heart has increased is 260 bpm. Anytime I have had to call 911 they insert and IV and this medication is pushed very quickly through the IV. I do feel a good bit of pressure in my head. But it doesn't hurt in any way. They ususally have to do it twice for my heart rate to convert. It always works. It's not a problem once you understand that you are literally using a CTRL, ALT, DELETE technique. I have never had a side effect to this. My only effect to my experiences are....exhaustion for just having ran a marathon without actually have to run 26 miles. :)”

12HourEpisodes · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “The first 6mg adenosine dose isn't fun. The second, doubled-dose is almost unbearable. A wave of heat flows from head to toe, immediately followed by a crushing feeling in your head, neck, chest, and back which continues along with the heat flash for about 10 seconds. It's awful, and it is scary to know that, on rare occasions, physicians have been unable to get a patient's heart to start beating again after administering this drug to them.”

Stumpy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2019

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I had SVT for over 40 yrs & was able to get back into sinus rhythm using the self taught vagal techniques.A couple of years ago they became more stubborn & ended up in A&E frequently, I was given Adenosine on 10 occasions & it was a love hate relationship, eyeballs felt they were going to burst, my whole body seemed to cramp up & a feeling of falling backwards down a mine shaft lasted a few seconds before the heart flatlined & dropped from 180bpm to 90bpm then slowly returned to sinus rhythm while waiting four hours for blood work results. Ended up having an ablation & now 12 months on having a pace maker fitted to control Bradycardia”

marylyndj · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2015

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “This drug was given to me when I was totally unaware of what was going on. I was transported 60 miles to nearest heart center. Given to me a second time in 12 hours. I was aware and let me tell you it was painful in my chest and then I got an intense headache. The doctor tried to get me to take the drug a third time about 24 hours later, and I said no! I ended up putting my head into a bucket of ice water to get my heart rate back down to normal. There are ways to do things with out chemicals! over and over again!”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2021

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “For 6 years I’ve been controlling episodes with maneuvers. A recent episode I couldn’t control and by the time medics arrived, my bpm reached 190. First dose of adenosine didn’t work. A 2nd double dose worked. I felt a sense of doom, sense of burning and numbness in my legs. The feelings lasted less than a minute and heart rate dropped to 103. The mental impact has been rough as I think about the fact that my heart was stopped and restarted. I will be having the catheter abalation procedure done now that I’ve experienced an episode that I could not control.”

Dj August 26, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I was in the ER for Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) which I didn’t know I had at the time. It had been going on for hours and I decided to go in when I couldn’t sleep. As soon as I got in they took me to the children’s room but decided to take me to the adult section since my rate wasn’t reading. They immediately knew what to do and told me they had to work fast. It was scary because the nurse said if the other nurse didn’t do it fast enough I could DIE. They gave it to me and it was the weirdest feeling. It felt like someone was squeezing my heart, an elephant was on my chest and it was cramping all at the same time. My heart immediately went back to normal it was amazing. It did hurt but it was more uncomfortable and scary it thankfully only lasted for about 5 seconds.”

RCaliente · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I had undiagnosed supra ventricular tachycardia for a couple years. Episodes lasted a minute or so and would pass after holding my breath and bearing down. In August 2015, I was at a clinic on a hospital campus when the SVT started. It didn't stop and continued to go faster. The doctor had them call the paramedics and the EKG showed my heart rate was 220. On the way to the ER, I got an IV and adenosine, as my heart rate was still increasing. It was the weirdest, scariest feeling, like the intense pressure of being on a roller coaster heading downhill, and breaking really hard. It passed in seconds, my heart rate was down to 130, then was a more normal 80 when they released me 4 hours later. I didn't enjoy it, but it helped me immensely.”

Cpayne9 August 30, 2016

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Could not control my heart rate naturally after going into SVT of 200 bpm. Tried bearing down, breathing techniques, but nothing worked. Had my wofe drive me into the ER where they prepped me for an IV and then gave me Adenosine. First time ever I had taken it for my SVT in the 36 years I have had it. It dropped my heart rate instantly to 130 then down to 90. I was amazed and relieved. I still prefer controling it myself but it is good to know there is something out there that works to control it when all other ways fail. I had no burning experience like others did. I do have a cottony feeling head and extreme tiredness 2 days after but that seems to come with a 1-2 hour 200bpm episode.”

James June 17, 2019

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I've had SVT since I was 5 years old, but my whole life up until last year the doctors said it was asthma. Than it was migraines. Then last year we caught it I was at soccer training when it happened. My Mum thought I was lying as training just started. I went to a hospital and they took tested me until they realised they couldn't treat it. I was rushed to the hospital and after a while they gave me adenosine. The doctors held my hand as I felt the sudden shock in my chest I felt my eyes widen and chest raise in pain.”

Kidkash · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I was given this drug one evening when already in hospital for an unrelated infection. I'd felt palpitations for a while but when they did my routine obs my heart rate couldn't be read. They called in a cardiac team who swiftly entered my room with all sorts of machines, they hooked me up to a more sophisticated heart monitor and my pulse was 236bpm, the doctors couldn't understand why I was so calm (I was just used to them so just assumed as it usually went away that it would do the same this time) I was warned that the drug could make you feel "an impending sense of doom". I had to have 2 doses and to be honest I didn't have any adverse reaction, the 2nd dose got my bpm back to normal straight away!”

DNW · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2019

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “First IV 6mg dose of adenosine failed . (rapid flush) But responded well to 12mg dose. ETU patient of Sri Lankan hospital Probable reason for SVT . Prolong intake of unknown drug ( indigenous medicine)”

danicali · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2021

For Radionuclide Myocardial Perfusion Study: “the MRI with the adenosine infusion was 100 times worse than any other procedure I've ever had. IT FEELS LIKE YOU ARE BEING PUT TO DEATH IN SOME ELECTRIC CHAIR. It lasts around 5 minutes, but feels like an hour, and I have never been so terrified or traumatised. I will always be traumatised by this procedure and I refuse to ever have it again. The doctors didn't tell me how horrible it would be, they just said I'd be fine. But in my gut, I knew it would be horrible, just didn't realise how bad. So, they give you the infusion, and within seconds, you feel as though you are being pulled apart at the heart, your face is on fire, you feel like you are dying, you feel a burning from the top of your chest to the bottom. It is absolute torture. I was so traumatised from the procedure I was unable to get off the table at the end. They had to pull me into a wheelchair, and I couldn't get up for another 2 hours. I felt lightheaded and wobbly for hours after. do not have this drug”

PV2 ketchum · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2021

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Well this all happened yesterday I'm 19 years old and we where doing PT runs in the morning with drill Sargent and I have no prior experience with heart issues anyway as I was running my heart rate felt completely off after so I ignored it for around 90 minutes and just rested for a bit and at chow. Randomly the chest pains just got to unbearable that I had to tell a drill Sargent even though I was ignoring it and I was taken to the ER. Well short sum of the story. My heart rate was 244 at resting and was higher most likely before the calmed me down anyway they tell me I'm about to feel doom or the injection and I was like alright let's do it and so he injected it into my vein felt nothing for 3 seconds and then a pain of my heart popping like a balloon and I went to get up but right after my heart stopped and I dropped and came right back and all I can say it's truly not that bad it sounds bad but yes it hurts but after I felt great I walked back to my barracks changed into uniform for class”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 20, 2021

For Atrial Tachycardia: “Very bad side effects, I almost died, a dangerous drug - don't use this drug.”

Herbs February 28, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Had IV adenosine for SVT unresponsive to usual self care-cold water/valsalva. 3-4 second sensation as if winded. SVT normalised. Minor irritant for successful therapy.”

Emily · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I’ve had adenosine twice to treat acute SVT and it’s fine. You feel weird for a few seconds but a million times better after when your heart is back to normal speed.”