This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Renal scintigraphy is an imaging test that uses a radioactive medicine and a camera to take pictures of your kidneys. The pictures show the shape of your kidneys and how they are working. This test may be used to find out how a transplanted kidney is working. It may also show blood flow problems in your kidneys that may be causing your high blood pressure or problems when you urinate. You may also need this test if your blood or urine tests show that your kidneys are not working properly. Your healthcare provider will use these test results to learn about your condition and decide the best way to treat you.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Self-care after your test:
- Ask your healthcare provider how to manage any side effects you may have after your kidney test. Side effects include vomiting, chills, nausea, headache, dizziness, or a fast heartbeat. You may notice increases in your blood pressure if you monitor it at home.
- Drink plenty of water and empty your bladder frequently to help flush the radioactive medicine out of your body. Some of the radioactive medicine will leave your body through your urine, bowel movement, or other body fluids. It may take several hours or up to 8 days to leave your body completely. It is okay to use a toilet as you normally would.
- The radioactive medicine used in this test may get into your breast milk and this can be dangerous to your baby. You will need to pump and throw away your breast milk for 2 to 3 days after your test, or as directed. You may continue breastfeeding when your healthcare provider says it is okay.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- Side effects such as headache, nausea, vomiting, and dizziness worsen or do not go away after a few days.
- You have new or worsening signs and symptoms.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.