This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Lumbar Radiofrequency Ablation
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Lumbar radiofrequency ablation (RFA) is a procedure used to treat facet joint pain in your lower back. Facet joints are found at the back of each vertebra. A needle electrode is used to send electrical currents to the nerves in your facet joint. The electrical currents create heat that damages the nerve so it cannot send pain signals.
Seek care immediately if:
- You cannot move your leg.
- You cannot control your urine or bowel movements.
- You have severe pain in your lower back.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have leg weakness.
- You develop new symptoms.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
- Pain medicine may be given. Ask how to take this medicine safely.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Do not drive a car or operate machinery within 24 hours after your procedure. Ask your healthcare provider about any other activities you should avoid.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Learn more about Lumbar Radiofrequency Ablation (Discharge Care)
IBM Watson Micromedex
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.