User Reviews for Interferon beta-1a

Also known as: Avonex, Avonex Pen, Rebif Rebidose, Avonex Prefilled Syringe, Rebif

Multiple Sclerosis 7.7

Reviews for Interferon beta-1a

Fred ML · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 29, 2020

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I was on Rebif for 9 years. The first 8.5 years were fine. The side effects were basically minimal and easy to handle. I eventually developed injection site reactions at 5 of the 8 recommended sites. These were essentially knot-like masses below the skin surface. Kind of like a weird reaction. I stopped taking it about 4 years ago. The masses are very slowly shrinking, one is gone as far as I can tell. If I could do it over again - would I? Yes, in my opinion, it worked for 9 years.”

Bakerjen · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2020

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “When I was first diagnosed with MS I tried copaxone and tecfidera both of these gave me side effects that I couldn't handle, but the Rebif has been virtually side effect free for me. I know everyone is different. All I have to do is take one Advil before an injection and I do not have any of the flu-ish side effects. I have been on this for 3 years now with no new progression of lesions. I will say when I was first diagnosed I was terrified of all medicine and the thought of doing an injection was so scary. Now it's nothing. I still have other issues with my MS and I've thought about trying a new medicine but after looking at the newer medicines the side effects scare me. I think this one is worth a try.”

Dee October 8, 2020

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Diagnosed with MS in 1998 and have used Avonex since then. Very content with this med. I take either ibuprofen or acetaminophen prior to injecting. No problems. I am thankful. Biogen helps with the cost.”

Steveo · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 16, 2020

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2011 and have been taking Avonex since (the pen kit for the past five years). At the time of diagnosis I was having severe electrical sensations from my neck all the way to my toes when my neck was flexed downward (lhermitte's sign). My other symptom was numbness in my fingers and toes. After my first month on Avonex the electrical sensations stopped, as did the numbness. The only symptom I feel now is very slight occasional vibrating/tingling fro my neck sometimes for short periods, and chronic fatigue which I have learned to manage well. I used to get the flu-like symptoms from Avenex 3-4 times per year, but have not had any symptoms from Avonex in several years. My neurologist said I have had no new lesions or disease progression over the past 9 years. And Biogen covers my $120 copy every 28 days. I am very thankful for Avonex!”

Therese · Taken for 10 years or more March 20, 2020

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I have been using Avonex for 15 years now and I have had no new lesions after year two on the spine or brain. Which shows how positive this drug is for slowing the MS process down. Hate the side effects, but love the med!”

Suzy · Taken for 10 years or more January 31, 2020

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I just went to take my injection when I went to push the plastic down to get the needle ready, it was stuck and the needle pushed through my index finger. It went through my finger.”

None · Taken for 10 years or more January 8, 2020

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I have never had any side effects from this shot at all. Does that mean I don't really have MS?”

SamIAm · Taken for 10 years or more December 16, 2018

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I have been using Avonex since 1999. It has given me a wonderful quality of life with MS. I began using the pen for my injections when it first came out and have never had a problem until the past 4 months or so. My wife gives my injections and there have been 6 pens we could not get to inject despite her putting both thumbs on the button while standing and using all of her strength (she is 180 lbs.). We have also had about 5 pens that would finally inject after this same procedure but have caused me tremendous pain because of going so deep into my leg. What has changed with the design/manufacturer? This is causing us both tremendous anxiety on shot night.”

Marge · Taken for 10 years or more September 21, 2018

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I've taken rebif off and on for about 15 years. My MS has gotten worse, but not tremendously. My biggest problem with rebif is the side effects are starting to become worse than my MS. To the point where I'm probably going to have to talk to my doctor about getting off. The side effects caused a crushing headache, extreme fatigue to the point where I can't play with my daughter and general malaise. I've tried other MS medication such as tecfidera and betaseron but they had other issues, which is why I stopped using them.”

TiBrink · Taken for 10 years or more July 2, 2018

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) in 2006. I was nearly immediately put on Rebif. The worst reaction I have ever had are site reactions. I have learned to manage those by massaging the injection site before and after each injection. Ice helps if it is stinging after the injection, heat if it is aching. I had a pretty severe relapse in 2015 my new Neuro. put me on Tedcfiera. Which was AWFUL. I would (Exactly) 1 hour after taking the medication in the morning throw up for 1 Hour (Exactly) the flushing was miserable. I would flush so hard I would look nearly purple. I had so many physical issues, weight gain, etc. Not to mention I had low levels of JC Virus and was still put on Tecfidera (that combination causes a brain infection) in 2017 I started seeing another NEW Neuro. His first order of business was taking me off of Tecfidera for 1 month and starting me back on Rebif. I have had NO Issues since. I feel like I am human (with standard MS issues)”

Fedup · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2018

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I can't stand the avonex pen It sticks and you don't get the full dose. The needle is small, does it routinely inject in the muscle? Prefilled syringe is better.”

Shereld8808 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2018

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I literally spend a whole winter season in the ER cause I got the bad flu symptoms. Sometimes I was there 3-4 a week cause all I did was throw up”

Bon Bon · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 23, 2018

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I’m a former Critical Care RN was diagnosed with MS officially in 1994 but the Neurologist’s think it started in 1986. After many years of not taking any medication instead of high dose steroids for an occasional fare up I started Avonex. Have been on this drug for about 6 years, with a premeditation of 2 extra strength Tylenol 1 hour before. I have really had no problems at all, the biggest difficulty was the pen used for injections I did not have enough strength needed so I had the medication sent in a regular syringe and that works fine. The biggest bonus is the fabulous sleep that I get the night of injection and the overall good feeling the morning after.”

Sissy March 7, 2018

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I am an RN working on my master's degree. I used to be an Avonex nurse. The biggest issue I found regarding the flu-like symptoms is that people forget to hydrate well the day of and sometimes the day before the injection. Or, they were ill some days before the injection (vomiting or diarrhea maybe from a stomach bug), or, they ran a marathon a few days before. Always consult your physician on hydration but unless you have fluid restrictions for medical reasons, you should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day (usually 64 ounces a day), or more if you exercise and are active regularly. You must stay hydrated with MS especially if you will be out in the sun to prevent the "flare" symptoms. (There are some blog sites for MS patients that swear by eating pineapple before the injection too - something about the enzymes in pineapple that helps combat side effects, and many patients reported this to me as well.)”

Jenfishcake February 21, 2018

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I have been on avonex since August 2017 had flu like symptoms after injecting but went away after 24 hours now 7 months later feeling anxious , sleepless nights dizzy spells , weakness and unstable when walking. Anyone else had this experience I am not sure if it's medicine related or not but can't help thinking it is . Thinking about changing my meds but don't think I could inject more than once a week ....”

jimnmx January 24, 2018

Rebif Rebidose (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I have been diagnosed since I was 32 years old, I am now 59 Yrs old. I started on Avonex, which lasted a couple of years before I went on Rebiff 44 mcg and have been fairly stable. I certainly look real healthy but the nature of my work was long hours and physically and mentally stressful. Rebiff must have helped, but also relied on pain meds and muscle relaxers or I would have never survived.”

Nhl742 September 13, 2017

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I just started this medication. With each injection the side effects have gotten worse. I did my 3rd dose last night & I'm miserable. The body/muscle aches, headaches etc. are about unbearable. Each time I took two 500 mg Tylenol before my injection as recommended by my training nurse. I was told about the flu like symptoms, read the booklet my Neuro gave me, but I thought the symptoms would subside at least halfway through the next day. I am so pained. I keep taking Tylenol & even my muscle relaxer hoping for relief. But Nothing seems to help. I called into Biogen after my 2nd dose. No help. Copaxone gave me bad brain fog & injection site reactions. Tecfidera kept me in the bathroom in unbelievable pain. Not sure what to do now.”

Jonny feel Good September 3, 2017

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I been taking Avonex for eighteen years. I called it the wonder drug. I've got my life back and I feel great.”

Msr2323 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 5, 2017

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I am almost 68 yo; diagnosed w/LOMS in '15. Immediately went on Avonex (wkly self injectable pen). Symptoms have not progressed and I am stable over the past 2.5 yrs. I do well with the shots; have learned to travel with medication and have taken care of my needs worldwide! I initially had the flu like symptoms post injection but they dissipated over time, but here at 30 months later I had a really bad episode of wracking chills and muscle aches just last pm. Feel worn out and sore this am. Why after all this time did I have this reaction? Have never missed a dose, so it's not like I am reintroducing medication to my system, Anyone else having this problem?”

Teri99687 April 19, 2017

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I've been on Avonex almost eight months. A little flu like symptoms the following day. It gets worse if I've had too much coffee, less 'achey' if I'm drinking plenty of water the day before. I'm fairly new to MS so don't know if it's stopping the lesions but I feel better than a year ago. ' Fortunately, I am a copay assistance program so it's zero out of pocket. Thank you Biogen.”

Good but · Taken for 10 years or more April 1, 2017

Rebif Rebidose (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Have been on it for 10 years and have had some activity but no major episodes. Downside: long term anemia and resulted in avasular necrosis and had to have my hip replaced”

FacePlanter · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2017

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I'm 19yrs old and have been ill for 6 years but only officially diagnosed less than 1 year ago. Due to my age DRs would even even consider MS. I've been on Rebif 4 months, along with 2 infusions of solumedrol and I am going downhill fast. I fall daily, go blind and deaf and lose use of limbs few a times a week. I had to drop out of college due to cognitive issues when I had been a 4.0 student. Rebif has not helped. I struggle to walk, talk, think or even do basic things like eat. I feel Rebif should've helped by now. My mom has a $150 copay that Rebif pays so that's a plus. I have an apt with new MS specialist soon and will ask for new med. I'm not waiting for the "6month" trial period.”

Feelinggood! February 11, 2017

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “I am sorry to hear of those of you for whom Avonex hasn't worked. Either I am in a minority or just lucky with how it has helped me, I have been on Avonex for almost nine years and he first month was a challenge....shivers and aches shortly after my injections. Ever since, however, it has only been a minor inconvenience. I take two Advil an hour before my shot and only experience what I call a bit of a "funk" 24 hours later, other than that, it is a breeze, thank goodness! My biggest challenge was the 1-1/ 4 inch needles so I changed to 1 inch. Much less daunting! I have never missed a shot in almost nine years and don't plan to miss one going forward. Best to all of us MSer's!”

soul avatar · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2017

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “Rebif is effectively the Indian Rope Trick and very dangerous. All beta interferons cause more harm to the weak body than doing any good. The pharmaceutical lobby sponsors clinical trials and whitewashing the results in relative numbering so they can sell the poisonous drugs. The drugs inflict harm to: - Thyroid - blood - kidney - liver - at long intake risk possibly that your body develops anti bodies against beta interferon and might attack your body's own interferons Google on the web for the Avonex trial that was rigged and initially the NHS health care in the UK banned the medication to be financed. It did cost the NHS 700 Million GBP for a drug that holds off a single relapse in 14 years.”

fed up with avonex+drug cmpny December 9, 2016

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: “My doctor like so many others I'm reading, left it up to me to decide which drug to try first. I have systemic health issues, MS is just one of them on the list. I tried the Avonex pen Monday 12/5/16, and the side effects sent me to the ER yesterday. 5 days of misery. I'm having trouble urinating, complete body muscle pain when I move, dizzy, and non stop random chills sweats. Its intolerable. Here's what you need to know that the drug companies and doctors aren't telling us. There's no drug to counteract the side effects from this drug and it will be in your system for 30days. To hear this from the ER doctor sent me over the edge. I would've NEVER tried this drug had I'd known this. Not to mention the non stop calls from Bio wallgreens.”