User Reviews for Interferon beta-1a

Also known as: Avonex, Avonex Pen, Avonex Prefilled Syringe, Rebif, Rebif Rebidose

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Interferon beta-1a.

Multiple Sclerosis
7.7

Summary of Interferon beta-1a reviews 7.7 68 reviews

Reviews for Interferon beta-1a

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I just started this medication. With each injection the side effects have gotten worse. I did my 3rd dose last night & I'm miserable. The body/muscle aches, headaches etc. are about unbearable. Each time I took two 500 mg Tylenol before my injection as recommended by my training nurse. I was told about the flu like symptoms, read the booklet my Neuro gave me, but I thought the symptoms would subside at least halfway through the next day. I am so pained. I keep taking Tylenol & even my muscle relaxer hoping for relief. But Nothing seems to help. I called into Biogen after my 2nd dose. No help. Copaxone gave me bad brain fog & injection site reactions. Tecfidera kept me in the bathroom in unbelievable pain. Not sure what to do now."

Nhl742 September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I been taking Avonex for eighteen years. I called it the wonder drug. I've got my life back and I feel great."

Jonny feel Good September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I am almost 68 yo; diagnosed w/LOMS in '15. Immediately went on Avonex (wkly self injectable pen). Symptoms have not progressed and I am stable over the past 2.5 yrs. I do well with the shots; have learned to travel with medication and have taken care of my needs worldwide! I initially had the flu like symptoms post injection but they dissipated over time, but here at 30 months later I had a really bad episode of wracking chills and muscle aches just last pm. Feel worn out and sore this am. Why after all this time did I have this reaction? Have never missed a dose, so it's not like I am reintroducing medication to my system, Anyone else having this problem?"

Msr2323 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I've been on Avonex almost eight months. A little flu like symptoms the following day. It gets worse if I've had too much coffee, less 'achey' if I'm drinking plenty of water the day before. I'm fairly new to MS so don't know if it's stopping the lesions but I feel better than a year ago. ' Fortunately, I am a copay assistance program so it's zero out of pocket. Thank you Biogen."

Teri99687 April 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rebif Rebidose (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Have been on it for 10 years and have had some activity but no major episodes. Downside: long term anemia and resulted in avasular necrosis and had to have my hip replaced"

Good but (taken for 10 years or more) April 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I'm 19yrs old and have been ill for 6 years but only officially diagnosed less than 1 year ago. Due to my age DRs would even even consider MS. I've been on Rebif 4 months, along with 2 infusions of solumedrol and I am going downhill fast. I fall daily, go blind and deaf and lose use of limbs few a times a week. I had to drop out of college due to cognitive issues when I had been a 4.0 student. Rebif has not helped. I struggle to walk, talk, think or even do basic things like eat. I feel Rebif should've helped by now. My mom has a $150 copay that Rebif pays so that's a plus. I have an apt with new MS specialist soon and will ask for new med. I'm not waiting for the "6month" trial period."

FacePlanter (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I am sorry to hear of those of you for whom Avonex hasn't worked. Either I am in a minority or just lucky with how it has helped me, I have been on Avonex for almost nine years and he first month was a challenge....shivers and aches shortly after my injections. Ever since, however, it has only been a minor inconvenience. I take two Advil an hour before my shot and only experience what I call a bit of a "funk" 24 hours later, other than that, it is a breeze, thank goodness! My biggest challenge was the 1-1/ 4 inch needles so I changed to 1 inch. Much less daunting! I have never missed a shot in almost nine years and don't plan to miss one going forward. Best to all of us MSer's!"

Feelinggood! February 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Rebif is effectively the Indian Rope Trick and very dangerous. All beta interferons cause more harm to the weak body than doing any good. The pharmaceutical lobby sponsors clinical trials and whitewashing the results in relative numbering so they can sell the poisonous drugs. The drugs inflict harm to: - Thyroid - blood - kidney - liver - at long intake risk possibly that your body develops anti bodies against beta interferon and might attack your body's own interferons Google on the web for the Avonex trial that was rigged and initially the NHS health care in the UK banned the medication to be financed. It did cost the NHS 700 Million GBP for a drug that holds off a single relapse in 14 years."

soul avatar (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "My doctor like so many others I'm reading, left it up to me to decide which drug to try first. I have systemic health issues, MS is just one of them on the list. I tried the Avonex pen Monday 12/5/16, and the side effects sent me to the ER yesterday. 5 days of misery. I'm having trouble urinating, complete body muscle pain when I move, dizzy, and non stop random chills sweats. Its intolerable. Here's what you need to know that the drug companies and doctors aren't telling us. There's no drug to counteract the side effects from this drug and it will be in your system for 30days. To hear this from the ER doctor sent me over the edge. I would've NEVER tried this drug had I'd known this. Not to mention the non stop calls from Bio wallgreens."

fed up with avonex+drug cmpny December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been using Avonex for almost 8 years. I find using the pen to be a significant improvement. I recently changed the day of the week on which I take my injection. I left Saturday evening and moved to Thursday evening, and might try Wednesday. Working with this disease has been a challenge, but I do thank my lucky stars that we have such a gifted and hard-working group of physicians and physician assistants working in this area. "

marklesliecpagmail.com (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "My body couldn't tolerate this medication."

AnttiKokko August 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rebif Rebidose (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I had no issues the first 6 months on Rebif. Medicated before each injection so didn't get the flu like symptoms. However things changed starting at month 6. Started getting red itchy spots at the injection sites. Also got cellulitis 4 times. And to top it off, got 1 new lesion. Still on it but in the process of switching to Tysabri. 2 lesions did shrink in size though."

smithfun (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "After Diagnosis of MS in 2008 I researched the available MS medications. I choose Avonex my brain lesions have decreased and shrunk. My symptoms have improved. I have not had a relapse. This medication has been a God send for me. Now I will have to switch to another medication because of insurance. Am researching the approved Meds and none are meeting my needs. I believe in Avonex,"

A,D.D. February 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex Prefilled Syringe (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Been on Avonex for 1 year now. Had one minor relapse in this period. Still come down with flu like symptoms for 1 to 2 days every week. Difficult to cope with work and house hold responsibilities on those 2 days. Also bad for social life. My MS symptoms gradually get worse but I manage. Don't know for sure whether the interferon has a positive effect on slowing the progression of my MS but I think/hope it does."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been taking Avonex for over ten years now. I always take it at room temperature, one hour before bed and on Saturday nights so I can relax the next day. I only had flu like symptoms when I first started taking it or if I missed a couple weeks. I take two Motrin when going to bed and never have any issues sleeping. I have had MS for over 20 years now and have found Avonex to work best for me. I have one or two pseudo exacerbations each year but have had no major flares for years now, knocking on wood..."

YoudNeverKnow (taken for 10 years or more) January 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rebif Rebidose (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Easy to use, no side effects experienced as opposed to interferon b medication. Good support program and co-pay assistance. Has lessened progression"

Gundameypon December 23, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was diagnosed in 2005. Started out Rebif on 2007 then I had many symptoms when I was on it, less sensation in my tongue, hands, feet and also vertigo. I changed the interferon to another type which I take more often but still same as interferon not sure about the name was horrible too then changed to avonix it was the worst I stopped all since 2011 and never had any symptom since then but I will search and start something."

SaudiLady (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Diagnosed with MS April 2006 after getting double vision. Started using Rebif August 2006. Experienced head aches and fatigue the day after a shot once I tritrated up to the full dose. Was definitely more severe in the beginning, but lessened with time. Ibuprofen has always worked best for me for managing the side effects. 2013 - found out I had Thyroid cancer, and had my thyroid removed. I did not have to stop taking Rebif during this time. Also, first new lesion presented on an MRI - that is 7 years with no remarkable change. September 2015 -- just found out my white blood cell count has dropped remarkably in the last 3 months (I get a Complete Blood Count and liver function done every 3 months, religiously) Probable side effect. Told to stop meds for 1 mo"

K. Murph September 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I am 21 years old and was diagnosed with MS in 2009. I began Rebif 44mcg March 2015 and unfortunately I have experienced most, if not all of the side effects: fevers, flu, chills, numbness, joint pains, headaches, bruising, nausea, vision issues, bladder issues, etc. I am hoping this drug is for me because I really don't want to have to start over with another one. The injections started off with severe pains, so much so that I am unable to walk after an injection for the rest of the day. But as time past, it is evident that my worse days have gotten better. No relapses so far. I'm hoping these side effects don't stay..."

JustFunSized June 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been on Avenox for about 2 years now and had no relapses. When I started the medication I had horrible side effects. I almost changed the medication, but thank god it got better with time. What I like about Avenox is that it is only once a week, because I'm afraid of needles."

safy4236 April 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rebif (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been on Rebif 44mg for 3 years now ever since I was diagnosed. I do my The injections at bed time with a little bit of ibuprofen. I have no family history of MS in my family. When I was diagnosed I was in denial, disbelief and very angry. Why me?!! I have so much left I want to do... The side effects I experienced are fever, chills, flu like, and next day dizziness were severe for the first year but no more attacks. Now I experience general fatigue the day after the shot until about noon. I wake up feeling very hot sometimes. Good news is since being on rebif only one new lesion that was stopped with steroids. And come to terms with why me to what am I suppose to learn from this. You can live with this and live well."

DREW112 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I have been using Avonex since October 2008. When the pen was made available, I was ecstatic!! This meant I didn't have to rely on my husband to do the syringe injection, without seeing a needle, I could do it myself. I used the pen for about 2.5 year's. In that time, several mishaps occurred, the blue button wouldn't work, the needle fell out, the final problem:the needle stuck in my leg after pulling the pen from my leg!!! Needless to say, I am back to depending on my husband again. The flu-like symptoms are the same with both forms of injection. I would go back to the pen in a heartbeat it was been improved and dependable."

BizzyGrammy (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I started on Betaseron when it came out. I changed to Avonex when it came out mainly because it was once a week. I get the side effects of flu like symptoms usually a few hours the next day. I have continued to be active and no new lesions. It has worked for me so far. I'm 60 so I have been blessed."

CVH (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex Pen (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "Been on Avonex for more then 10 years. The flu like symptoms just never get better. In bed for 2 days sick with fever. However, I had no major flare ups in years!"

mscibrlli January 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Avonex (interferon beta-1a) for Multiple Sclerosis: "I was initially terrified about the injections, but from my first onwards they have proved to be no trial at all. The delivery method is amazing. I never thought I'd say this, but I even look forward to them, knowing that I'm doing something to help myself. I now truly believe that Avonex is helping. My symptoms have lessened since starting it only three months ago. I hope things continue this way and also hope everyone out there with Multiple Sclerosis finds a similarly effective treatment."

Sweetcorn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2014