This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Esophageal Ph Test
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
An esophageal pH test measures the amount of stomach acid that reaches your esophagus. The test lasts 1 to 2 days while you go about your usual daily activities. An esophageal pH test is often used to diagnose gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
You may need to return the next day to have your catheter removed. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Keep a diary during the testing period:
- Keep your daily routine as normal as possible.
- Follow your healthcare provider's instructions on what to eat and drink. Write down everything you eat and drink, what time, and how much you consume.
- Write down the times you were lying, standing, sitting, and sleeping.
- Write down your symptoms, what time they occur, and your body position at that time.
- Give the diary to your healthcare provider. He will compare it with the data collected during the test.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have chest pain.
- You have questions or concerns about the test.
© 2018 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.