Generic Name: Penicillin V Potassium Tablets (pen i SIL in vee poe TASS ee um)
Brand Name: Penicillin-VK, Veetids
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 31, 2020.
The Veetids brand name has been discontinued in the U.S. If generic versions of this product have been approved by the FDA, there may be generic equivalents available.
Uses of Veetids:
- It is used to treat or prevent bacterial infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Veetids?
- If you are allergic to this medicine (Veetids); any part of this medicine (Veetids); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Veetids) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Veetids?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Veetids). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened. Talk with your doctor.
- Have your blood work checked if you are on this medicine (Veetids) for a long time. Talk with your doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Veetids) best taken?
Use this medicine (Veetids) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take on an empty stomach. Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
- Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Keep using this medicine (Veetids) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Diarrhea is common with antibiotics. Rarely, a severe form called C diff–associated diarrhea (CDAD) may happen. Sometimes, this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen during or a few months after taking antibiotics. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain, cramps, or very loose, watery, or bloody stools. Check with your doctor before treating diarrhea.
What are some other side effects of Veetids?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain or diarrhea.
- Black, hairy tongue.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Veetids?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Veetids), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Veetids (penicillin v potassium)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: natural penicillins
- FDA Alerts (2)
Other brands: Penicillin VK