VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (Nonoxynol 9 Film)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 9, 2021.
Uses of VCF Vaginal Contraceptive:
- It is used to prevent pregnancy.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take VCF Vaginal Contraceptive?
- If you have an allergy to nonoxynol 9 or any other part of VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film).
- If you are allergic to VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film); any part of VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you or your partner has HIV infection.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not use VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film) if you are pregnant.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take VCF Vaginal Contraceptive?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine does not stop the spread of diseases like HIV or hepatitis that are passed through blood or having sex. Do not have any kind of sex without using a latex or polyurethane condom. Do not share needles or other things like toothbrushes or razors.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film), call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (VCF Vaginal Contraceptive) best taken?
Use VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film) by mouth. For vaginal use only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Do not use VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film) rectally.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- If you want to douche, wait at least 6 hours after last intercourse.
- Be sure your hands are dry before you touch VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film).
- Put the film in at least 15 minutes before you have sex. If used the correct way, VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film) works for up to 3 hours. Use VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film) again each time you have sex.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Vaginal irritation.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Pain when passing urine.
- Bad-smelling vaginal discharge.
- If your sex partner has irritation of the penis, trouble passing urine, or pain when passing urine.
What are some other side effects of VCF Vaginal Contraceptive?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out VCF Vaginal Contraceptive?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 film), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about VCF Vaginal Contraceptive (nonoxynol 9 topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Pricing & Coupons
- 5 Reviews
- Drug class: spermicides
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.