Generic Name: unoprostone (ue-noe-PROST-one)
Brand Name: Rescula
Unoprostone drops are used for:
Treating increased pressure in the eye (ocular hypertension) or open-angle glaucoma.
Unoprostone drops works to lower pressure in the eye by increasing fluid drainage from the eye.
Do NOT use unoprostone drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in unoprostone drops
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using unoprostone drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with unoprostone drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have swelling, infection, or injury of the eye, or if you have a history of inflammation in the eye (eg, iritis, uveitis)
- if you do not have a lens in your eye, have had the lens in your eye removed or replaced, or if you are at risk for an eye condition called macular edema
- if you have other types of glaucoma (eg, narrow-angle, neovascular)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with unoprostone drops. However, no specific interactions with unoprostone drops are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if unoprostone drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use unoprostone drops:
- Use unoprostone drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Soft contact lenses may absorb a chemical in unoprostone drops. Remove contact lenses before you use unoprostone drops; lenses may be placed back in the eyes 15 minutes after use of unoprostone drops.
- To use unoprostone drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including your finger or eye. Keep the container tightly closed when not in use.
- Use unoprostone drops at least 5 minutes apart from any other medicine that you put in your eye.
- If you miss a dose of unoprostone drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use unoprostone drops.
Important safety information:
- Unoprostone drops are for use in the eye only. Do not get it in your nose or mouth.
- Unoprostone drops may cause dizziness, blurred vision, or make your eyes more sensitive to light. Use unoprostone drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it. If your eyes become sensitive to light, wearing sunglasses may help.
- Unoprostone drops may cause the colored part of your eye (iris) to turn brown. This change may be permanent. It may not be noticeable for several months to years. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Unoprostone drops may cause your eyelids or eyelashes to darken. It may also cause changes in the way your eyelashes grow (eg, length). These effects usually go away after you stop using unoprostone drops. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- If you will be having eye surgery, tell your doctor that you use unoprostone drops.
- Lab tests, including eye pressure, may be performed while you use unoprostone drops. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Unoprostone drops should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using unoprostone drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use unoprostone drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of unoprostone drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning, stinging, or itching of the eye; change in tear production; dizziness; dry eyes; feeling of having something in your eye; increased length of lashes.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); eye or eyelid discharge, inflammation, irritation, pain, redness, or swelling; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of unoprostone drops:
Store unoprostone drops in the refrigerator or at room temperature, between 36 and 77 degrees F (2 and 25 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep unoprostone drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about unoprostone drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Unoprostone drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine. This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take unoprostone drops or any other medicine.
Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about unoprostone drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to unoprostone drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using unoprostone drops.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about unoprostone ophthalmic
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Rescula