Generic Name: Timolol Gel Eye Drops (TIM oh lol)
Brand Name: Timoptic XE
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 4, 2019.
Uses of Timoptic XE:
- It is used to treat glaucoma.
- It is used to lower high eye pressure.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Timoptic XE?
- If you have an allergy to timolol or any other part of Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Heart block, shock caused by heart problems, or slow heartbeat.
- If you have heart failure (weak heart).
- If you have any of these health problems: Asthma or other breathing problems like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
- If you are using another drug like this one.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Timoptic XE?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care when driving or doing other tasks that call for clear eyesight.
- This medicine may hide the signs of low blood sugar. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Have your eye pressure and eyesight checked as you have been told by the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have an eye infection, eye injury, or will be having eye surgery.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly breathing problems have happened with Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops) in patients with asthma. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may make it harder to tell if you have signs of an overactive thyroid like fast heartbeat. If you have an overactive thyroid and stop taking Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops) all of a sudden, it may get worse and could be life-threatening. Talk with your doctor.
- If you have had a very bad allergic reaction, talk with your doctor. You may have a chance of an even worse reaction if you come into contact with what caused your allergy. If you use epinephrine to treat very bad allergic reactions, talk with your doctor. Epinephrine may not work as well while you are taking Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Timoptic XE) best taken?
Use Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the eye only.
- Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
- Use Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops) at the same time of day.
- Take out contact lenses before using Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops). Lenses may be put back in 15 minutes after Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops) is given. Do not put contacts back in if your eyes are irritated or infected.
- Turn container upside down and shake once before each use.
- Use other eye drugs 10 minutes before the gel.
- Do not touch the container tip to the eye, lid, or other skin.
- Tilt your head back and drop drug into the eye.
- After use, keep your eyes closed. Put pressure on the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 1 to 2 minutes. This keeps the drug in your eye.
- Blot extra solution from the eyelid.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Very bad headache.
- Slow heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Chest pain.
- Trouble breathing.
- Muscle weakness.
- Heart failure has rarely happened in people taking Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops). Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
What are some other side effects of Timoptic XE?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Eye irritation.
- Signs of a common cold.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Timoptic XE?
- Store in an upright position at room temperature.
- Do not freeze.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Timoptic XE (timolol gel eye drops), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Timoptic-XE (timolol ophthalmic)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: ophthalmic glaucoma agents