Generic Name: Dofetilide (doe FET il ide)
Brand Name: Tikosyn
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 4, 2019.
- There is a risk that Tikosyn (dofetilide) may cause another type of abnormal heartbeat, which may be deadly. You will have to start and restart this drug in a setting where your heart will be watched nonstop. Talk with your doctor.
Uses of Tikosyn:
- It is used to treat certain types of abnormal heartbeats.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Tikosyn?
- If you have an allergy to dofetilide or any other part of Tikosyn (dofetilide).
- If you have kidney disease.
- If you have a long QT on ECG.
- If you have any of these health problems: Low potassium or magnesium levels.
- If you are taking any drugs used for a heartbeat that is not normal.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Cimetidine, dolutegravir, hydrochlorothiazide, itraconazole, ketoconazole, megestrol, prochlorperazine, trimethoprim, or verapamil.
- If you are taking any drugs that can cause a certain type of heartbeat that is not normal (prolonged QT interval). There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Tikosyn (dofetilide).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Tikosyn (dofetilide).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Tikosyn (dofetilide) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Tikosyn?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Tikosyn (dofetilide). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You will need an ECG before starting Tikosyn (dofetilide) and during treatment. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have too much sweat, fluid loss, throwing up, diarrhea, not hungry, or more thirst.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Tikosyn (dofetilide) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Tikosyn) best taken?
Use Tikosyn (dofetilide) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Tikosyn (dofetilide) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Never make up a missed dose. Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- An abnormal heartbeat that is new or worse.
- Shortness of breath.
What are some other side effects of Tikosyn?
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Tikosyn?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Tikosyn (dofetilide) is refilled. If you have any questions about Tikosyn (dofetilide), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Tikosyn (dofetilide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 45 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: group III antiarrhythmics