The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: Testosterone Buccal System (tes TOS ter ohn)
Brand Name: Striant
Medically reviewed on Feb 14, 2019
Uses of Testosterone Buccal System:
- It is used to treat low testosterone levels.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Testosterone Buccal System?
- If you have an allergy to testosterone or any other part of testosterone buccal system.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are male and have breast or prostate cancer.
- If you have any of these health problems: Heart disease, kidney disease, or liver disease.
- If you are a woman. This medicine is not approved for use in women. If you are a woman using testosterone buccal system, talk with your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
- If the patient is a child. Do not give testosterone buccal system to a child.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with testosterone buccal system.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take testosterone buccal system with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Testosterone Buccal System?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take testosterone buccal system. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- There may be a higher chance of prostate cancer. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have an enlarged prostate, your signs can get worse while you use testosterone buccal system. Call your doctor if this happens to you.
- High blood pressure has happened with drugs like this one. Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Treatment with testosterone buccal system may lead to higher cholesterol and triglycerides. The effect of these changes on heart health is not known. Talk with the doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may raise the chance of blood clots, a stroke, or a heart attack. Talk with the doctor.
- Be sure to inspect your gums where you put testosterone buccal system on a regular basis. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine is an anabolic steroid. Anabolic steroid drugs have been abused and misused before. Anabolic steroid abuse can lead to dependence and very bad health problems. These health problems include heart or blood vessel problems, stroke, liver problems, and mental or mood problems. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use testosterone buccal system with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine is not approved for treating low testosterone levels caused by getting older. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may affect sperm in men. This may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Testosterone Buccal System) best taken?
Use testosterone buccal system as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take testosterone buccal system.
- If you are taking warfarin, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while you are taking it with testosterone buccal system.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Do not take testosterone buccal system out of the blister pack until you are ready to take it. Take testosterone buccal system right away after opening the blister pack. Do not store the removed drug for future use.
- Dry your hands and place the tablet in your mouth above the incisor tooth between the upper cheek and gum. Let it melt during the day.
- Do not chew or swallow.
- Change the side of mouth with each dose.
- Do not take out until it is time for your next dose.
- Make sure drug is still in place after eating, drinking, brushing your teeth, or using mouthwash.
- If the drug does not stick or falls out, follow what your doctor has told you or read the package insert. If you are not sure what to do, talk with your doctor.
- To remove tablet, gently slide it down from the gum toward the tooth to keep from scratching the gum.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Signs of high calcium levels like weakness, confusion, feeling tired, headache, upset stomach and throwing up, hard stools (constipation), or bone pain.
- For males, erections (hard penis) that happen often or that last a long time.
- Passing urine more often.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Passing urine in a weak stream or drips.
- Not able to control passing urine.
- Mood changes.
- Low mood (depression).
- Change in how you act.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Breast pain.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Trouble breathing when sleeping.
- Feeling sleepy during the day.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Change in color of skin.
- Change in size or shape of testicles.
- Very bad irritation where testosterone buccal system is used.
- Call your doctor right away if you have signs of a blood clot like chest pain or pressure; coughing up blood; shortness of breath; swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm; or trouble speaking or swallowing.
- Liver problems have happened with drugs like this one. Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Gum changes.
What are some other side effects of Testosterone Buccal System?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Pimples (acne).
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Emotional ups and downs.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Not able to sleep.
- Irritation where testosterone buccal system is used.
- Change in taste.
- Bad taste in your mouth.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Testosterone Buccal System?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about testosterone buccal system, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about testosterone
- Testosterone Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 435 Reviews
- Drug class: androgens and anabolic steroids
- FDA Alerts (6)
- Testosterone injection
- Testosterone nasal
- Testosterone topical
- Testosterone Buccal Tablets
- ... +12 more