Medically reviewed on September 5, 2018
- Wash the site where the drug was used before it touches anyone else's skin.
- Do not let your skin that the gel or solution was used on touch any children's or women's skin. Cover treated part with clothes. Signs of puberty may happen in children.
- If a woman or child touches the gel, she/he needs to wash the skin with soap and water.
Uses of Testim:
- It is used to treat low testosterone levels.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Testim?
- If you have an allergy to testosterone or any other part of Testim (testosterone gel).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are male and have breast or prostate cancer.
- If you have any of these health problems: Heart disease, kidney disease, or liver disease.
- If you are a woman. This medicine is not approved for use in women. If you are a woman using Testim (testosterone gel), talk with your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
- If the patient is a child. Do not give Testim (testosterone gel) to a child.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Testim (testosterone gel).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Testim (testosterone gel) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Testim?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Testim (testosterone gel). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- There may be a higher chance of prostate cancer. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have an enlarged prostate, your signs can get worse while you use Testim (testosterone gel). Call your doctor if this happens to you.
- High blood pressure has happened with Testim (testosterone gel). Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Treatment with Testim (testosterone gel) may lead to higher cholesterol and triglycerides. The effect of these changes on heart health is not known. Talk with the doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may raise the chance of blood clots, a stroke, or a heart attack. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is an anabolic steroid. Anabolic steroid drugs have been abused and misused before. Anabolic steroid abuse can lead to dependence and very bad health problems. These health problems include heart or blood vessel problems, stroke, liver problems, and mental or mood problems. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Testim (testosterone gel) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine is not approved for treating low testosterone levels caused by getting older. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may affect sperm in men. This may affect being able to father a child. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell the doctor right away if a child or woman touches the gel or solution and has any bad effects. In children, these are forceful actions, enlarged sex organs, and early growth of pubic hair. In women, these are a deep voice, change in body hair, or pimples.
- If a pregnant woman touches the gel or solution, call the doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Testim) best taken?
Use Testim (testosterone gel) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Testim (testosterone gel).
- If you are taking warfarin, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while you are taking it with Testim (testosterone gel).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Do not take Testim (testosterone gel) by mouth. Use on your skin only.
- Use Testim (testosterone gel) at the same time of day.
- Not all products are the same strength. Read and follow label carefully.
- Do not get Testim (testosterone gel) on other parts of your body or on other people.
- Do not put on the genitals.
- Keep out of your eyes.
- Some products come in pumps. Some products come in packets. If you are using a pump, you will need to prime it before you use it the first time. Prime the pump as you are told in the package insert.
- After putting Testim (testosterone gel) on, you will need to wait some time before you bathe, shower, or swim. Be sure you know how long you need to wait. Read the package insert for more details.
- Let dry before covering with clothing.
- Avoid fire, flames, or smoking until dry.
- Put on clean, dry, healthy skin.
- Certain products are to be put on certain parts of the body. Be sure you know where to put Testim (testosterone gel). Read the package insert for more details.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Signs of high calcium levels like weakness, confusion, feeling tired, headache, upset stomach and throwing up, hard stools (constipation), or bone pain.
- For males, erections (hard penis) that happen often or that last a long time.
- Passing urine more often.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Passing urine in a weak stream or drips.
- Not able to control passing urine.
- Mood changes.
- Low mood (depression).
- Change in how you act.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Breast pain.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Trouble breathing when sleeping.
- Feeling sleepy during the day.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Change in color of skin.
- Change in size or shape of testicles.
- Very bad irritation where Testim (testosterone gel) is used.
- Call your doctor right away if you have signs of a blood clot like chest pain or pressure; coughing up blood; shortness of breath; swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm; or trouble speaking or swallowing.
- Liver problems have happened with drugs like this one. Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Testim?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Pimples (acne).
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Emotional ups and downs.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Not able to sleep.
- Irritation where Testim (testosterone gel) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Testim?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Testim (testosterone gel) is refilled. If you have any questions about Testim (testosterone gel), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Testim (testosterone)
- Testim Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 93 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: androgens and anabolic steroids